What games are you playing now?

• Thread starter F1 fan
  • 6,249 comments
I am still playing Wreckfest. If you care anything about racing/driving, this game appeals to basically everyone in some way. You can dislike that a game like this lacks sophistication and precision. However, that isn't the point of Wreckfest. It's about aggressive racing that is fun whether you are a dedicated racer or a casual. I even see sim racer types enjoy "Wreckfest" and for good reason. This really is a game that appeals to just about everyone in some sort of way.

Pending if I am able to get some games on Steam and GOG during their latest sales, I may get to try some newer gaming experiences for the first time.

I am still playing Wreckfest. If you care anything about racing/driving, this game appeals to basically everyone in some way. You can dislike that a game like this lacks sophistication and precision. However, that isn't the point of Wreckfest. It's about aggressive racing that is fun whether you are a dedicated racer or a casual. I even see sim racer types enjoy "Wreckfest" and for good reason. This really is a game that appeals to just about everyone in some sort of way.

Pending if I am able to get some games on Steam and GOG during their latest sales, I may get to try some newer gaming experiences for the first time.
I love Wreckfest. Haven't played it in awhile. Always enjoyed joining "clean" servers so you could try to just race instead of taking opponents out.

PS5 version of Football Manager. FM is always something I wanted to try, despite only knowing the real basics about the sport. Enjoying it (and somehow the team I'm managing in the lower English lead may get promoted in my second season) but there's still a lot I'm trying to get my head around. Can only imagine how complicated the full PC version is, in comparison.

Stray as well. Taking it slow for my first playthorugh. Tempted to try and platinum it at a later date. A couple of the trophies look freakin rock hard though.

PS5 version of Football Manager. FM is always something I wanted to try, despite only knowing the real basics about the sport. Enjoying it (and somehow the team I'm managing in the lower English lead may get promoted in my second season) but there's still a lot I'm trying to get my head around. Can only imagine how complicated the full PC version is, in comparison.

Stray as well. Taking it slow for my first playthorugh. Tempted to try and platinum it at a later date. A couple of the trophies look freakin rock hard though.
I was playing the latest FM as its on Game Pass on Xbox, and I read it's almost comparable to the PC version now, so nearly feature complete.

Got myself a Steam Deck, currently playing my childhood on a handheld,

Emulating a mixture of:

GTA 3
TOCA touring car 1 and 2
PES 4
Burnout 2
Street fighter 2

Also bought the GTA 4 complete edition edition so about to start that today.

A bit overwhelmed with some much choice to be honest.

@TypeRDC5 welcome fellow Deck head, were you a PC gamer before or are you entirely new?

I'm playing Mark of the Ninja at a rate of about one level every third day because real life has been a little busier than usual and I've been spending my free time indulging my other hobby, which is Lego. It's a good game, I was a little unimpressed the first time I played it because I was being sloppy but doing it with no kills and no alerts is challenging enough to make it much more fun.

YouTube seems to be urging me to play either Deus Ex or Metal Gear Solid again as it's suggesting endless memes of both to me at the moment. I'm not opposed to the idea of playing either, honestly.

@TypeRDC5 welcome fellow Deck head, were you a PC gamer before or are you entirely new?

I'm playing Mark of the Ninja at a rate of about one level every third day because real life has been a little busier than usual and I've been spending my free time indulging my other hobby, which is Lego. It's a good game, I was a little unimpressed the first time I played it because I was being sloppy but doing it with no kills and no alerts is challenging enough to make it much more fun.

YouTube seems to be urging me to play either Deus Ex or Metal Gear Solid again as it's suggesting endless memes of both to me at the moment. I'm not opposed to the idea of playing either, honestly.
I haven't been a proper PC gamer since the late 2000's, played a lot of SimCity4 during the early 2010's but that's about it.

Have to say I am very impressed with the Steam Deck. I have a bunch of old games upstairs which until now I could only look at as don't have the consoles to play them, this changes everything.

There are so many games on Steam which look great for the Deck but with all the emulation and roms set up now this is me set for a while.

The metal gear solid og trilogy is already on my list to play soon, such great games.

Gran Turismo 2 A-Spec Mod. Loving it so far, the changes are awesome - and the music was a nice surprise.

I just got my licenses and now I'm prepared for my twitch streaming on Tuesdays - already got the Lancia 037 and looking forward to winning more of the new cars added.
1703346346776.png

I haven't been a proper PC gamer since the late 2000's, played a lot of SimCity4 during the early 2010's but that's about it.

Have to say I am very impressed with the Steam Deck. I have a bunch of old games upstairs which until now I could only look at as don't have the consoles to play them, this changes everything.

There are so many games on Steam which look great for the Deck but with all the emulation and roms set up now this is me set for a while.

The metal gear solid og trilogy is already on my list to play soon, such great games.
You might already be aware but if not, here are some useful things:

https://www.protondb.com/ maintains a database of user reports on how games actually run on Deck, useful if you're interested in a game that's listed as unsupported on Steam (they work absolutely fine a lot of the time)

https://www.humblebundle.com/ and https://www.fanatical.com/en/ do good bundles, usually delivered as Steam keys (but sometimes as Epic Game Store keys, so watch out), Humble Choice is sort of analogous to PS+ in that you get monthly games (except they're yours to keep forever) and access to Humble Trove while you're subscribed.

Microsoft Game Pass and GeForce Now are good streaming options, the latter requires you to own the game on a compatible storefront.

https://howlongtobeat.com/ tells you how long a game takes to, well, beat - I've found this useful for my Deck because sometimes I don't want to get into a 30+ hour long game and just want something I can beat in a day or two.

https://isthereanydeal.com/ can help you sniff out the best price for a game, but frankly I don't look any further than Steam now because the prices are good enough for me. Note that most of the time when you go to a store that isn't Steam you'll be buying a Steam key but like I said above, don't take it for granted!

GOG is great for older games and Epic still gives away free games, neither seamlessly support SteamOS but with tools like Heroic, Lutris and another I'm sure I'm forgetting you can make them work.

I assume you're already using EmuDeck?

Decky Loader has a few plugins that are useful but not essential, protonupQT lets you install Proton GE (Glorious Eggroll - unofficial versions of Proton that do things the official one can't, always handy to have for the odd game that doesn't quite work with official Proton), uhh... That Cryotools thing gets some hype but some people think it's all a placebo effect.

https://youtube.com/@RetroGameCorps?si=n6yF5zqZ_eplzhSS Retro Game Corps is really the only YT channel you need for Deck how-tos, I've found Fan The Deck to be good for Deck-related news and game recommendations too.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
You might already be aware but if not, here are some useful things:

https://www.protondb.com/ maintains a database of user reports on how games actually run on Deck, useful if you're interested in a game that's listed as unsupported on Steam (they work absolutely fine a lot of the time)

https://www.humblebundle.com/ and https://www.fanatical.com/en/ do good bundles, usually delivered as Steam keys (but sometimes as Epic Game Store keys, so watch out), Humble Choice is sort of analogous to PS+ in that you get monthly games (except they're yours to keep forever) and access to Humble Grove while you're subscribed.

Microsoft Game Pass and GeForce Now are good streaming options, the latter requires you to own the game on a compatible storefront.

https://howlongtobeat.com/ tells you how long a game takes to, well, beat - I've found this useful for my Deck because sometimes I don't want to get into a 30+ hour long game and just want something I can beat in a day or two.

https://isthereanydeal.com/ can help you sniff out the best price for a game, but frankly I don't look any further than Steam now because the prices are good enough for me. Note that most of the time when you go to a store that isn't Steam you'll be buying a Steam key but like I said above, don't take it for granted!

GOG is great for older games and Epic still gives away free games, neither seamlessly support SteamOS but with tools like Heroic, Lutris and another I'm sure I'm forgetting you can make them work.

I assume you're already using EmuDeck?

Decky Loader has a few plugins that are useful but not essential, protonupQT lets you install Proton GE (Glorious Eggroll - unofficial versions of Proton that do things the official one can't, always handy to have for the odd game that doesn't quite work with official Proton), uhh... That Cryotools thing gets some hype but some people think it's all a placebo effect.

https://youtube.com/@RetroGameCorps?si=n6yF5zqZ_eplzhSS Retro Game Corps is really the only YT channel you need for Deck how-tos, I've found Fan The Deck to be good for Deck-related news and game recommendations too.

Enjoy!
Thanks for this! Very useful.

I am already using Emudeck but the rest is all news to me so will have a good read and start learning how to best get the most of of the steam deck.

Good thing I have some time off during the holidays :)

Does steam deck run most old pc games?

(sorry - wrong post!)

Still rocking Wreckfest and may try some other games with the Steam and GOG sales...

Last edited:
Gran Turismo 2 A-Spec Mod. Loving it so far, the changes are awesome - and the music was a nice surprise.

I just got my licenses and now I'm prepared for my twitch streaming on Tuesdays - already got the Lancia 037 and looking forward to winning more of the new cars added.
View attachment 1313898

Got a save with all the hottest engineswaps for this old game + the Xploder codebox ++ Great game!

Platinumed Ghost of Tsushima. Now I can finally focus on Cyberpunk 2077.

Also playing WRC Generations and Dirt Rally on the side to take my mind of things.

Man should I get Alan Wake 2 or Phantom Liberty ?

Phantom Liberty! It's quality!

Just bought Dakar Desert Rally on Steam and going to try this game, apparently it has improved a lot since its launch and isn't a choppy unplayable mess anymore?

I treated myself to some different game experiences. Check it...

* Having played and loved "Rise of the Triad," I figured I'd try the 21st Century, new millennium version of ROTT in the form of Rise of the Triad: Ludicrous Edition on Steam. It is everything awesome about ROTT but made for more modern consoles. So no need for DOSBox (as I know of). This game includes the shareware campaign, "The HUNT Begins," "Extreme ROTT," and an all-new series in the Ludicrous Edition. Everything plays rather well. You can adjust a handful of settings to customize the experience. This game is more up my alley since I am pretty trash at modern first-person shooters.

* Overgrowth is a rather popular, yet fairly old action game. This game pretty much lets you live out your martial arts movie dreams. You play as a bunny named Turner who can engage in some intense combat. The package I got includes Overgrowth and its prequel, Lugaru. You have no real idea how much health you have, since there isn't much an HUD. It's more like keep fighting until you can't fight any more. You also have to be mindful to clear obstacles to where you don't end up being defeated. While not the most intuitive hand-to-hand combat, it's actually pretty fun. The main reason I bought this game was in the setup of AI battles and NPC battles. I also had some character modding interest as well for this game.

* I finally made my debut to the HALO series with the HALO: The Master Chief Edition on Steam. I am now able to say that I have some experience with the HALO series. Prior to this, I played maybe a brief HALO multiplayer game with some folks back in college back in 2002. Playing this massive collection will help me understand and experience one of the most popular game franchises of the 21st Century. I was a bit disappointed I thought I would be playing the very first HALO in this package (Combat Evolved). However, you start off with "HALO: Reach." It was my first time dealing with the Covenant. Combat was pretty intense

* I finally debuted in Diablo. It was pretty wild battling so many enemies at once deeper into the dungeon. I've gotten a general feel for what this game has to offer on my first playthrough. This is one of the best gaming franchises for a reason.

Always great to take advantage of sales on sites like GOG and Steam.

I treated myself to some different game experiences. Check it...

* Having played and loved "Rise of the Triad," I figured I'd try the 21st Century, new millennium version of ROTT in the form of Rise of the Triad: Ludicrous Edition on Steam. It is everything awesome about ROTT but made for more modern consoles. So no need for DOSBox (as I know of). This game includes the shareware campaign, "The HUNT Begins," "Extreme ROTT," and an all-new series in the Ludicrous Edition. Everything plays rather well. You can adjust a handful of settings to customize the experience. This game is more up my alley since I am pretty trash at modern first-person shooters.

* Overgrowth is a rather popular, yet fairly old action game. This game pretty much lets you live out your martial arts movie dreams. You play as a bunny named Turner who can engage in some intense combat. The package I got includes Overgrowth and its prequel, Lugaru. You have no real idea how much health you have, since there isn't much an HUD. It's more like keep fighting until you can't fight any more. You also have to be mindful to clear obstacles to where you don't end up being defeated. While not the most intuitive hand-to-hand combat, it's actually pretty fun. The main reason I bought this game was in the setup of AI battles and NPC battles. I also had some character modding interest as well for this game.

* I finally made my debut to the HALO series with the HALO: The Master Chief Edition on Steam. I am now able to say that I have some experience with the HALO series. Prior to this, I played maybe a brief HALO multiplayer game with some folks back in college back in 2002. Playing this massive collection will help me understand and experience one of the most popular game franchises of the 21st Century. I was a bit disappointed I thought I would be playing the very first HALO in this package (Combat Evolved). However, you start off with "HALO: Reach." It was my first time dealing with the Covenant. Combat was pretty intense

* I finally debuted in Diablo. It was pretty wild battling so many enemies at once deeper into the dungeon. I've gotten a general feel for what this game has to offer on my first playthrough. This is one of the best gaming franchises for a reason.

Always great to take advantage of sales on sites like GOG and Steam.
ROTT is absolutely a blast to play once again. And that soundtrack still is something special.

The lack of physical release kind of a turn off though, but I guess I'll buy it.
Understandable, the devs said the reason they didint do an physical release
was to make the game cheaper, for me its not problem as i buy all my new games digitally, Alan wake 2 took me by suprice, before i played it resident evil 4 remake was my favorite of year, but Alan wake 2 overtook it for me,

was to make the game cheaper
60€ instead of 70€ doesnt really convince me that the difference is solely based on the decision of going digital distribution only.
Despite my opinion about the price and also prefering physical copies, Resident Evil 4 to me was a somewhat downer (but so was the original RE4 edit: "not 3") after 2 and 3 were such good re-interpretations of the gameplay.

Started playing Wild Hearts, and so far - after 30 hours, I like it.
Running around, cuddling with small creatures, putting up a tent and a fire, seeing habital destruction caused by humans causing a mass movement of animals into other regions ...

Last edited:
done with Alan wake 2 what a masterpiece, cant wait for dlc and replay the new game plus mode as well,

starting replaying resident evil 3 remake once again, and also starting to play so,e more vr games
60€ instead of 70€ doesnt really convince me that the difference is solely based on the decision of going digital distribution only.
Despite my opinion about the price and also prefering physical copies, Resident Evil 4 to me was a somewhat downer (but so was the original RE3) after 2 and 3 were such good re-interpretations of the gameplay.
Where i live its more like €20 cheaper than most games you can buy on the store
it might not be the only reason, but its still clear that most games sells more digitally now days so that might make sense for remedy to go this route

Last edited:
I finally played the HALO I wanted to play all along. When I got the "HALO: The Master Chief Collection," i started in "HALO: Reach." Silly me didn't realize "CE" in "CE Anniversary" is short for "Combat Evolved"- the very first HALO game! Anyhow, I played through a good bit of it and can see what has made it so popular and loved. The action is engaging and with a very good storyline. So now I see what has made HALO such a popular series playing the very first game. By the way, you can choose between the original HALO graphics and the enhanced graphics. I'm going with the original graphics for the original feel and because it runs a bit better.

Back