What have you done to your car today?

Nice short throw shifters are awesome. I had a few people go "meh, I'd rather spend the money on something else", and then go out and buy a shifter after driving my car. It really does make a huge difference. Steering wheels as well.

Took a few piccies post-wash of the Skyline. Someone's already lined up to buy it next week so these may be simple memorial shots rather than "for sale" shots. I'm still a novice photographer mind, so bear with me.

86434420.jpg

37756905.jpg

19803750.jpg

34209884.jpg

Nice Skyline 👍

Removed the dashboard from the Beetle today (piccies here), and ripped a bunch more wiring out. Still torn on what colour I want to eventually paint the thing.

I installed a Miataroadster short shifter on the Miata today. I only drove it for about a mile, and I already love the thing.

I'm surprised a Miata even needs a short throw shifter.

I'm surprised a Miata even needs a short throw shifter.
It doesn't need it, in the same way a car doesn't need an aftermarket suspension and a better steering wheel, but they feel nice and improve the driving experience.

EDIT: On a side note, put my new tires on yesterday. People weren't kidding when they say they run wide.

This is the 215/45/17 on a 17x9. Hardly any stretch at all.
0imag0305.jpg

And this is the 205/45/17 on a 17x9. Easily as wide as the 215s I had on the rear before.
0imag0306.jpg

Only complaint is that the sidewalls are a bit soft, and therefore they feel a bit squishy when driving. I've got 10/8kg springs though, so my ride quality has been improved, they just lost some of the responsiveness.

Last edited:
It doesn't need it, in the same way a car doesn't need an aftermarket suspension and a better steering wheel, but they feel nice and improve the driving experience.

That's what I meant, I didn't literally mean "need" like it's a necessity, I was just implying that the shift in a Miata is pretty much perfect in the first place and incredibly direct, so improving upon it boggles the mind a bit.

That's what I meant, I didn't literally mean "need" like it's a necessity, I was just implying that the shift in a Miata is pretty much perfect in the first place and incredibly direct, so improving upon it boggles the mind a bit.

The 5 speeds might be very direct, but the 6 speed isnt known for being a WD-40 shifter. In stock form, it comes with this short handle, basically as tall as only the shift knob shown in the picture. Just the nature of the beast was completely changed with the kit. 2nd gear usually crunched a bit at slow speeds, and that is now gone. All of the gears feel completely changed for the better.

Took out all the stereo parts and replaced it with the stock stuff. Keeping all my gear for my next car which I will probably be getting next week if all goes to plan!

I put the flywheel, torque convertor, and tranny onto the engine last night for our 67 Fastback Mustang. Hopefully this Saturday we can put all this into the car.

I like it when every single bit of my car looks immaculate, including parts nobody but I will see. It's for my own tastes, not for showing off.

Went to RadioShack yesterday for LEDs and resistors to experiment with circuits. I came across a schematic online to properly integrate brake lights. I dig it, so after I get back from vacation in a couple weeks I'll order a ton off eBay and get to work converting my stock taillights. Found some good projectors to replace the headlights with later in the project. Lots of little modern touches.

CyborgGT
Went to RadioShack yesterday for LEDs and resistors to experiment with circuits. I came across a schematic online to properly integrate brake lights. I dig it, so after I get back from vacation in a couple weeks I'll order a ton off eBay and get to work converting my stock taillights. Found some good projectors to replace the headlights with later in the project. Lots of little modern touches.

No offence, but it seems tacky. Sure modern cars use LEDs, but they have been developed by companies who have spent a lot of time and money on designing them to suit the application. They use expensive LED drivers and high quality LEDs to enable a bright light output, which is properly focused to get the best light. You aren't going to get anywhere near the same result with a bunch of LEDs and resistors from Radio Shack..

No offence, but it seems tacky. Sure modern cars use LEDs, but they have been developed by companies who have spent a lot of time and money on designing them to suit the application. They use expensive LED drivers and high quality LEDs to enable a bright light output, which is properly focused to get the best light. You aren't going to get anywhere near the same result with a bunch of LEDs and resistors from Radio Shack..

He'll be fine. While he won't have individual reflectors for each LED, they are still bright enough to be easily visible in the bright sun, are very bright at night.
As long as he does it right, pwm and all that fun stuff.

If done right, it can look good, but we're talking a LOT of leds here.

The 'Shack parts were just to get some hands-on experience. I'm looking around for better ones with good brightness, viewing angles, etc. A PWM and a regulator (this one complicates things a smidge) will be there. As for tackiness, I might agree, but I do like the look. It'll be done on a spare set of lenses so I can switch back and forth when I want.

Began the suspension teardown. Got lots of work done in only a few hours.

Here are the parts that were actually removed.

Old sway bar next to the new one. :scared:
img03641.jpg

Size comparison.
img03691i.jpg

Old strut rods are out. These were a major PITA.
img03671k.jpg

Is that for the Mustang in your pic? I need a larger sway bar for our Mustang also. How much did you pay and where did you get it. Is that Mustang a 67 or 68?

I forgot to post a pic in the previous reply. 302 with C4. Plan is to put this into our 67 Fastback Mustang on Saturday the 27th.
eng.jpg

CAMAROBOY69
Is that for the Mustang in your pic? I need a larger sway bar for our Mustang also. How much did you pay and where did you get it. Is that Mustang a 67 or 68?

Yep.

It's a 1 1/8 inch swaybar. People generally go 1 or 1-1/8. Usually the latter go with a rear sway bar as well, but some will tell you that the car handles better without a rear bar.

I got mine from http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/ for about $110

If you ever have any questions about Mustang suspension call him. Best customer service I've ever had. Seriously.

Last edited:
Ok ty. I saved that link and when I get a sway bar, that will be the first place I look. I have also heard there is no reason to install a rear sway bar.

Sheesh I just realized my Camaro still has the stock front sway bar.

Well I didn't do it, my mom did:

IMG_1173.jpg

Btw, that isn't my bike in the background :P

Dunlop SportMaxx tires. Not exactly cheap on 275 tread :/

Last edited:
Not sure exactly what you did besides remove the intake cover and the air cleaner box. Same engine or different engines?

Think you pretty much described it.

Managed to pop the Beetle's rear side windows out today. The seals were rubbish so I've just been cutting them up. A full set of window seals for my car is about £100, which I'm happy to pay to have brand new ones that don't look shoddy, aren't covered in overspray and actually keep water out of the car.

Back