What have you done to your car today?

SPhilli911
Put a front lip on. Still too lazy to wash the car. :dunce:

Looks great! Engine still holding on? ;) Have you had a leak down test performed on it?

I got home from NZ today and had a whole day to kill before flying out to Perth tomorrow so I decided to remove my heat shield and spray all the nuts and bolts holding on the turbo, manifold and dump pipe etc with WD40 so that when the time comes to remove the turbo and fit up the new one hopefully they loosen FAIRLY easily.

Interestingly I noticed a lot of carbon around the exhaust port of cylinder number 2, outside of the manifold, meaning I have to remove the manifold and replace and reseal the gaskets. I have made a list of all the parts I'll need from Toyota for when I get back from Perth so I can change the turbo and injectors, namely oil and fuel filters, injector seals and spacers and exhaust manifold and turbo flange gaskets.

Last edited:
What brand did you get? I know cheap glass can be awful. Our Cherokee had to have the windshield replaced years ago, and I think we made them change it out at least two times because it was wavy.

I got Saint-Gobain Sekurit, but unfortunately Colombian made (DOT 463) instead of German made. It's suppose to be one of the better brands out there, and it looks fine; no warps or waviness. I was doing research online and everyone was saying, essentially, avoid cheap Chinese glass.

Bought it!
56bQP.jpg

^ Awesome!

My cousin has a '88 Turbo and brother has a '91 Turbo, both of which are out of commission, sadly. While they were going though they were great cars to drive, lots of torque. Yours lacks a spoiler, which leads me to believe it may not be a turbo, either way it's cool. Just keep an eye on the speed and temp guage, it's easy for both to creep up on you! :lol:

Also, lovin' the brown color. 👍

I'm normally not a fan of third generation Supras, but that one, in that shade of brown, just has so much 80s appeal to it. :drool:

^ Awesome!

My cousin has a '88 Turbo and brother has a '91 Turbo, both of which are out of commission, sadly. While they were going though they were great cars to drive, lots of torque. Yours lacks a spoiler, which leads me to believe it may not be a turbo, either way it's cool. Just keep an eye on the speed and temp guage, it's easy for both to creep up on you! :lol:

Also, lovin' the brown color. 👍
Thank you sir! I'd love a Turbo model.. This is NA :crazy:
And the speedo can't creep up, as it is broken :lol:

I'm normally not a fan of third generation Supras, but that one, in that shade of brown, just has so much 80s appeal to it. :drool:
I agree.. this color on any other car would be awful. But it is so perfect on this car.. Thank you!

Looks great! Engine still holding on? ;) Have you had a leak down test performed on it?
Thanks! I did a compression test and found out that the engine is perfectly fine for a car with my mileage... there were no unusual deviations between any cylinders. I'll just have to keep an eye on the oil levels I guess.

Unfortunately it's getting cold and snowy around here so working on my car has become... somewhat bothersome. :crazy:
8167638360_a736a3d487.jpg

Working on a 1994 5.7 TBI.

The car has been standing still for a couple of months, and now it won't fire up. The engine cranks, but I have no spark, or fuel out the injectors, I've already changed the coil and module, but still, nothing.

Would the pickup coil inside the distributor be the culprit? Does that make sense?

I've worked on these several times. Possibly a bad ignition switch? Sounds strangley similar to a '92 Bronco 5.8L EFI. Same symptoms, ended up having a bad ECU. But we never figured out why it went bad....

I'd replace the entire distributor and see if it makes a difference, but not getting fuel seems to me that theres a computer issue or a broken circuit somewhere, and because of that the ECU isn't getting the signal to pump gas to the engine. Was it sitting in or outside?

I've worked on these several times. Possibly a bad ignition switch? Sounds strangley similar to a '92 Bronco 5.8L EFI. Same symptoms, ended up having a bad ECU. But we never figured out why it went bad....

I'd replace the entire distributor and see if it makes a difference, but not getting fuel seems to me that theres a computer issue or a broken circuit somewhere, and because of that the ECU isn't getting the signal to pump gas to the engine. Was it sitting in or outside?

It turned out to be the pickup coil. I measured the resistance and it did nothing, where it should give ~500Ω. Turns out that the ECU gets it's signal from there, and without getting the pulse from the pickup coil, neither the ignition, nor the injectors will fire.

SPhilli911
Thanks! I did a compression test and found out that the engine is perfectly fine for a car with my mileage... there were no unusual deviations between any cylinders. I'll just have to keep an eye on the oil levels I guess.

Compression test and leak down test are two different procedures. Just because an engine compression tests well doesn't mean you can write off oil passing the compression rings. If oil is passing rings into the combustion chamber it will still pump a "good" number as it is advised you do a compression test "wet" anyways.

You need to do a leak down test to verify the ring tension is still there and the cylinder holds pressure. But most likely valve stem seals are the source of your oil consumption. Subaru decided to use some real cheap poly-acrylic seals on the exhaust side which do not fair as well to heat like viton does.

Do you still have the stock oil "cooler" heat exchanger? Factory crankcase ventilation in place? I have seen improperly plumbed oil catch tanks that will pull engine vacuum as the cans were sealed and re-pressurized into the crankcase vent system. So when you're under boost the oil in the catch tank will force its way where ever the tank is plumbed to the engine to burn off excess crank case fumes.

Just throwing stuff out there... :)

Oh damn. Thought I was in the clear. :/

I've planned on getting a leak down test one of these days. I haven't passed that up just yet.

SPhilli911
Oh damn. Thought I was in the clear. :/

I've planned on getting a leak down test one of these days. I haven't passed that up just yet.

You could be, but oil is burning somewhere. Only 2 places it can pass and burn, rings or valve seals/guides. Only one place internally it would consume oil without your knowledge is if its burning on the underside of the pistons from stupid high combustion temps.

My money goes on the crap hyperutectic pistons cracking before they get hot enough to burn oil under the piston crown. LOL.

Interested in the source of consumption though, keep posting your woes....

Anna+Reece
Oh nice! I wish I had a turbo model..

Oh this is where you might hate me. The one I'm picking up has an imported 7mgte motor (only 28,000 miles) with a HUGE turbo and goodies on it. Brembo brakes, good looking light rims, fancy suspension, racing seats/harness (still comfy imo), and some sexy pillar gauges. Apparently it makes about 16 pounds of boost :dopey:

Friend of mine wants to get rid of it pretty bad and only wants 1000-1500.

It's not a perfect car though. Paint is horrible - blistered from storage in a cave, the interior is moldy for the same reason, and the radio was stolen out of it so it needs some dash work.

Still amazing though!

SPhilli911
Lucky sob. Mine was buried deep in the fuel tank and was a massive pain in the arse to get to.
I'm planning to do my girlfriend's Clio and it would seem there's a chance it'll be the same as yours. Hopefully it'll just be on the outside of the tank.

I don't understand why it's so difficult, I know it's not as necessary as an oil filter change but surely it needs doing at some point in the life of a car! ?

Bought it!
56bQP.jpg

This looks oddly familiar...

Anyways.

Just double checked my windows and sunroof to make sure there were no leaks. Snowing out and I don't have access to a garage and I don't own a tarp. :nervous:

Did pick up a package from a friend earlier. Said he was sending me something, wouldn't tell me. Needless to say, I'm thankful.

box.jpg

wheel-1.jpg

i had a bad experience today. i was having migrane from last night.while i was driving it got worst i was unable to go to office or even drive back to home. so i left my car alone. and made a car to SFO service. i was rused to the hospital and car was send at home. ahh, what a relief.

Took my block into PFI Speed yesterday just for an inspection. They're going to be the ones doing my machinework and there's a scratch in cylinder 4 that was worrying me. While they can work with FRM cylinders, I was told that once they're scratched they're done. So I'm going to have to re-sleeve. Another $2-300 added to an already-planned $10k build :ouch:. I suppose that leaves me open to future power possibilities, if I ever get into drag racing...

I'm planning to do my girlfriend's Clio and it would seem there's a chance it'll be the same as yours. Hopefully it'll just be on the outside of the tank.

I don't understand why it's so difficult, I know it's not as necessary as an oil filter change but surely it needs doing at some point in the life of a car! ?
For your sake I hope it was just near the tank rather than inside it. My car, I had to remove the rear seats, disconnect a few fuel tubes and wiggle this assembly out a hole half the size! :ouch:

DSC_0001-3.jpg

Good luck!

Normally there is a filter in the engine bay and a small filter attached to the fuel pump. That filter can get clogged but most people only change the one inside the engine bay. Funnily enough I've just ordered a new fuel filter too but I've only just recently changed my actual fuel pump which obviously came with a new in tank filter so I only need to change the one on the bulkhead.

Back