What have you done to your car today?

Found out why you don't buy cheap parts and always go OEM. I replaced my high speed fan relay last summer with a knockoff one that was ten bucks cheaper. I discovered this week that when it's cold the connectors shrink just enough to lose connection. I guess that means it was already barely connecting :dopey: This lesson was learned through three cold drives with foggy windows 👎

I've tried everywhere to find an original Mtech one, they only one I kind find are cheap knock offs like this.

I've just ordered a non MTech oringal E30 weighted gearknob anyway.

I think these also came on the E30 but they're quite dear for a gearknob and I'm not entirely sure I like the look of them.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007XJE6T2/?tag=gtplanet-20

I'm not sure how much it changed from year to year, but the 1986 M-Technic gearknob was leather, stitched seam at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock and then leather ran continuously from the shift pattern badge at the top (which looks as per the amazon link), all the way down and acted as the gearstick gater. Don't have the part number, but I've got a picture of it in the 1986 M-Technic parts brochure.

Any chance you could show me the pic?

Thought you'd ask that! The only imaging device in the house is my iPhone3 ! ... gimmie a minute and I'll see what I can do.

edit:

photo1.JPG

photo2.JPG

Cheers, mate. Helping out another BMW fan 👍

That's an Mtech I, so I don't know if it'd be different to my car. The annoying thing is it's impossible to find an interior picture of an unmodified UK 325i Sport Mtech II.

Regardless, of that I've got something else to look out for know as that leather one in the pic is very nice.

Finally finished up the brakes lines on my '99 Dodge Caravan. Put fluid in it and letting it sit over night for leaks. Then the tires go back on and out it goes.

406164_450162285037250_1368084076_n.jpg

408659_450208575032621_568742467_n.jpg

Cheers, mate. Helping out another BMW fan 👍

That's an Mtech I, so I don't know if it'd be different to my car. The annoying thing is it's impossible to find an interior picture of an unmodified UK 325i Sport Mtech II.

Regardless, of that I've got something else to look out for know as that leather one in the pic is very nice.

No worries, I have much BMW literature, but I can't think of anywhere that will have a picture.

Wow, this obviously wasn't changed for many years. It's the filter for the Fuel Vapor Canister on my Pontiac, a.k.a. a "Charcoal Canister". Probably why it stunk like gas so much in the morning! Still ran fine though, those 305's never quite. :sly:👍

Before;
304119_468791156516884_437524004_n.jpg

After, new FRAM filter. :)
555452_468791109850222_1472897849_n.jpg

Antonisbob
Wow, this obviously wasn't changed for many years. It's the filter for the Fuel Vapor Canister on my Pontiac, a.k.a. a "Charcoal Canister". Probably why it stunk like gas so much in the morning! Still ran fine though, those 305's never quite. :sly:👍

Before;

After, new FRAM filter. :)

Well that might explain why my 305 smells like gas every now and then.

Fitted my new gearknob, glad it was only ceap. I don't mind the looks (is a tiny bit tacky) but it feels horrible as it's hard plastic not leather.

If you're willing to run a non-M-Tech knob, then you should consider the weighted ZHP knob. They feel absolutely fantastic.

I got my other gearknob today, same as the one that came on the car when I bought it but black and weighed. Looks nice and subtle and feels nice, albeit not quite as nice a feel as a leather one would be. (can't really see it much in this pic thanks to the light shining off it)

Started replacing a brake hose that some idiot in my class somehow managed to strip out and it was fine. Long story.

Also did a quick tire job on a '2003 Ranger that had 464,000 miles on it haha. Only 200K short of my pickup's frame XD

AMCNUT
Ooh, ooh, can I join this impromptu Pontiac club? :dopey: I drive a 2002 Bonneville.

Yes you can. In fact my mother's for door family car happens to be a 97 Boonville SSEI. That thing has won many a highway drags against unfortunate (and ignorant) civic, rx7, and even mustang drivers. 'Murica 👍

Yes you can. In fact my mother's for door family car happens to be a 97 Boonville SSEI. That thing has won many a highway drags against unfortunate (and ignorant) civic, rx7, and even mustang drivers. 'Murica 👍

Awesome! :cheers: Mine's only an SLE, but even without the supercharger it has plenty of aplomb for my needs. I can imagine the SSEI would make an excellent stoplight weapon. My car used to belong to my mother, and then she gave it to me a couple of years ago. I definitely don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon.

Just finished a solid two-bucket wash.
Didn't do the full job, felt bad using the products I did but got two buckets, cleaned and scrubbed them, used a turtle wax product for shampoo (old stuff I've used for years, real garbage :lol: ), panel by panel, top to bottom, front to back... Went through two big clear buckets and several soap buckets but didn't use much soap at any point. Skipped the wheels this time and the interior is usually clean so no worries there.
All in all it was a fast but thorough wash for nothing more than the body and door jams. By the end it looked good enough to make me want pics... and so... pics, or it didn't happen. :P

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

AMCNUT
Awesome! :cheers: Mine's only an SLE, but even without the supercharger it has plenty of aplomb for my needs. I can imagine the SSEI would make an excellent stoplight weapon. My car used to belong to my mother, and then she gave it to me a couple of years ago. I definitely don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon.

You can always swap the ecu and bolt on a supercharger :sly:

Please make a sound clip of those horns.

Nothing special but yesterday rotated the tires on my girlfriend's Accent for the 7,500 mile service and added a bottle of Techron fuel injector cleaner to the gastank. Tried to remove my summer set of wheels on the Miata because it finally started to get cold but the wheels are stuck and won't budge :/

483405_4142085436110_1606488278_n.jpg

Tried to remove my summer set of wheels on the Miata because it finally started to get cold but the wheels are stuck and won't budge :/

Hammer time! Have you tried taking a dead-blow/rubber mallet to the back side of the wheels? And seriously all of them are stuck? I suppose corrosion's gotta be a problem in your part of the country.

So last night when I got off work and went to start my car, the passenger headlight blew out. So I went straight to AutoZone and got a replacement, one of those really bright Sylvannias with the blue-tinted lenses even though they shine white, I can't remember the model off hand (about $21 each). I had bought a pair of them when a light popped in our first really cold frost maybe a month and a half ago, so I just got the one this time. While I was replacing it (it's a real pain on these RSXs), I took out the driver side as well and put some of that bulb grease on the contacts they suggest you buy at the counter.

Well tonight, the driver side popped. Has anyone else had problems with these bulbs, or is it just likely because the weather here is suddenly getting warmer (like in the 60s F) after a good couple weeks of roughly-zero daytime temps? There are a lot of one-eyed cars on the road lately, but I'm kind of worried it's my car.

Back