What have you done to your car today?

If you get some time, I'd give the wiring a quick once-over just to make sure you don't have any issues with it. You're not touching the glass part of the light with bare fingers, are you?

I seriously doubt there is anything wrong with the wiring. As said make sure you don't touch the glass with your fingers, it is probably thermal shock with it being so cold, some brands may be more fragile than others.

Punknoodle
some brands may be more fragile than others.

This. This is exactly why my high fan speed doesn't work in the morning. It's cheaper to buy the expensive one once than the cheap one once a week.

Also make sure you wipe the oil from your fingers off the bulbs. It could be they're getting too hot and popping.

I've always been real careful not to touch the glass. Though it's all extremely cramped behind the my headlights, it could have happened.

Two bucket wash with meguiers gold shampoo, dry, and detail on all door jams. Looks too good for iphone pics.

Nothing at all. Freezing t° are no more and I wanted to wash off all the dirt and salt accumulated over the last few weeks.

Maybe tomorrow. :sly:

I need some advice, I didn't know where to post and didn't want to create a new thread for such a trivial thing.

Basically my car has been going through headlight bulbs really fast. I've replaced them both twice in the past month and I can't work out why they keep blowing. My car does have quite stiff suspension, that coupled with the bumpy roads around here might be damaging them but I'm sort of clutching at straws with that.

Anyone have any ideas?

I need some advice, I didn't know where to post and didn't want to create a new thread for such a trivial thing.

Basically my car has been going through headlight bulbs really fast. I've replaced them both twice in the past month and I can't work out why they keep blowing. My car does have quite stiff suspension, that coupled with the bumpy roads around here might be damaging them but I'm sort of clutching at straws with that.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm assuming you've check fuses and wires, so there's not blow ones, or a ground wire issue.

Could be moisture getting in somewhere.

Or;

Alternators have voltage regulators, which would most likely be inside of the alternator. It could be going bad and causing the current to fluctuate.

Last edited:
Anyone have any ideas?

You're not touching the glass when you install the bulbs are you? I always clean my bulbs with rubbing alcohol and then wear latex gloves when installing then so I don't get the glass oily and create hot spots.

Antonisbob
I'm amusing you've check fuses and wires, so there's not blow ones, or a ground wire issue.

Could be moisture getting in somewhere.

Or;

Alternators have voltage regulators, which would most likely be inside of the alternator. It could be going bad and causing the current to fluctuate.

Thanks, I will check them out.

Joey D
You're not touching the glass when you install the bulbs are you? I always clean my bulbs with rubbing alcohol and then wear latex gloves when installing then so I don't get the glass oily and create hot spots.

You will have to ask the man that fitted them :dopey: in all honesty It's fiddly and it was cold and much easier to pay a couple of quid and get it done for me.

But... you don't touch the bulbs when replacing them, I did it on my car a few weeks back and all I did was buy the new headlight. The actual bulb is sealed inside glass.

Looked exactly like this;
geh4651_1.jpg

Just unplug the old one and throw it in the garbage, plug the new one in and done.

But... you don't touch the bulbs when replacing them, I did it on my car a few weeks back and all I did was buy the new headlight. The actual bulb is sealed inside glass.

Looked exactly like this;
geh4651_1.jpg

Just unplug the old one and throw it in the garbage, plug the new one in and done.

Ya, if your car is old then you have sealed beams, but most cars don't have that. I'm not sure what kind of car Pagey has.

Yeah my car originally came with sealed beams but I bought some Hella H4 conversion lenses that look the same, but you put an H4 lamp in it. Much easier to get H4s than sealed beams, and cheaper too in the long run (the conversion lenses aren't cheap) with the benefit of being able to choose between different types of H4 lamps. Right now I'm using a Phillips crystal view which gives off really nice crisp white light. Not very bright though..

If you have sealed beams next time you need new lamps I'd look in to doing that.

For the original question, did you use the same brand both times? Is it quite cold where you are?

Some rust repair. Then she puffed some blue smoke on start-up and felt like a plug foul, so I guess it's time to do the valve seals.

Well, yes. It's an '85. I would never drive anything newer.

Ya, but you can't possibly be that obliviously when you, say, go to the auto parts store and see a rack of bulbs that don't look anything like that. Also headlamp bulbs, that aren't in sealed beams, have been around for eons.

No, I see them, but pay no attention. It's not what I'm looking for after all...

I like them more, and they where mandatory until 1984 in the USA, should have stayed that way.

Last edited:
No, I see them, but pay no attention. It's not what I'm looking for after all...

I like them more, and they where mandatory until 1984 in the USA, should have stayed that way.

You acted like you'd never seen actually bulbs before.

And sealed beams aren't very good, I'm fact they are fairly terrible. It's why people opt to do H4 conversions so they can run lights that are slightly brighter than candles in a jar.

Technology moves forwards.

dealwithit.gif

Almost destroyed the rear end bumper. It's badly damaged though.

Forgot to put the car in gear when I parked it on my drive way. The car started rolling backwards and was stopped by a solid object. :ouch:

That sucks at least it wasn't in to a Bentley or something!

I dropped my fuel rail off to get machined today, which means I can say bye bye to ever running the stock injectors again. No turning back now...

That sucks at least it wasn't in to a Bentley or something!

I dropped my fuel rail off to get machined today, which means I can say bye bye to ever running the stock injectors again. No turning back now...
Nope, it wasn't. The only thing that was damaged was my rear end bumper.

No worries, it's just a piece of synthetic thing. :D

Finally talked to my friend about buying his car. Looks like in a month (or whenever I get the money together) I'm buying a 91 supra that has a full three inch exhaust, huge turbo (right now reads 27 lbs boost!), aftermarket racing rims, aftermarket suspension, full Brembo brakes, racing seats (the comfy street/race ones), upgraded super bright lights, and an imported 7mgte motor/Trans with no miles on it.

I would love to hear you guys guess what I'm paying for it.

Not yet, it was the turbo off his old motor (around 700 horse), after the third time it got broken into he yanked the motor, sold it, put in the jdm one with the god turbo, and parked the car. First thing I do is going to be turn the boost way down and add a metal head gasket.

Back