What have you done to your car today?

Went out in the Vette today cause it's starting to warm and it's dry outside. Been reading a lot about harmonic balancer failures on these cars on the Corvette forum so I thought to myself that it'd be a good idea just to check mine..... Sure enough, at only 34 thousand km's my harmonic balancer is on it's way out..... YAY!

Cut the exhaust off after the cat. Now the cat's going to come off, and be replaced with a glasspack. When that will happen I'm not sure. I need to get the rusted thing off first, measure my pipe & then buy the glasspack. & where I'll get it attached is still a question, either in my auto shop or have it put on in a muffler shop if it's not more that 90 or 100 bucks.

Run it backwards or crack the fiberglass & they sound good. If I leave nothing on there (as it is now) I won't be able to hear my radio ever again! :lol: It's that loud.Does sound pretty sick though. But cops can get you for no mufflers I think, so better safe than sorry.

Tested out the new steering box!

537724_10200176080299141_651531849_n.jpg

29024_10200176083179213_1271226467_n.jpg

578396_10200176081059160_1081501413_n.jpg

Clearly someone that has never heard a proper car through a proper "glasspack"...

Ha. I'm not going to even repsond to that.

@Astonis

I bet it sounds nasty haha But yeah I'd do that if you don't want a ticket lol

Ha. I'm not going to even repsond to that.

You made a general statement, not a specific one, "I bet it sounds like poop on your car." You said "glasspacks sound like poop", no, glasspacks sound great, if you do it right.

Last edited:
1stlsx
You made a general statement not a specific I bet it sounds like poop on your car. you said "glasspacks sound like poop", no, glasspacks sound great if you do it right.

Oh yeah baby they do. I love that raspy snap they give muscle cars. I freaking love the beehive scream they give race cars :drool:

Fitted a heavy duty clutch, new water pump, oil pump, belt and gaskets to my 3SGTE, yo. 👍 If can see through the mountain of rubbish in my shed, there's a new intercooler too! Exciting times.

IMG_0193_zps3597b9ae.jpg

IMG_0173_zps96e5afd5.jpg

I didn't do anything, but my power antenna started working again. Kinda...

Fitted a heavy duty clutch, new water pump, oil pump, belt and gaskets to my 3SGTE, yo. 👍 If can see through the mountain of rubbish in my shed, there's a new intercooler too! Exciting times.

Did this with my 3SGTE in place. Was a pain in the ass!

You made a general statement, not a specific one, "I bet it sounds like poop on your car." You said "glasspacks sound like poop", no, glasspacks sound great, if you do it right.
See I don't agree. I think open headers sound the best at least for his application. I do admit I was wrong making a generalized satement however.
Oh yeah baby they do. I love that raspy snap they give muscle cars. I freaking love the beehive scream they give race cars :drool:

See above.

Did this with my 3SGTE in place. Was a pain in the ass!

Lol, omg... That must have been nearly impossible! I'm plonking this 3s-gte into my ST162, so I decided to replace these parts now so I won't have to go through the pain you went through. :lol:

See I don't agree. I think open headers sound the best at least for his application. I do admit I was wrong making a generalized satement however.

See above.

I guess I dont fully know his "application", but unless its a motor built for HIGH power there is no point in running open headers. Its annoying to you and those around you and nothing more. I run my race car with open headers at multi day track events, cut outs for single day or night races and full mufflers on the street.

I previously had Dynomax bullets on my car after my x pipe and they sounded amazing, EVERYONE loved them, but I couldnt have a conversation with anyone within 100 feet of my car so what was the point?

I can now have a conversation at any speed in my car as long as Im not wide open. On top of that, the car runs the same times and makes the same power whether thru the mufflers or with 18" extensions. The only difference is how much attention I attract....

I beleive his motor is stock but honestly IMO I prefer a smoother idle to a stroker with a large cam that has no pipes. Sure it attracts attention but that's what I love =P

That said I've ran Walkers, ROL, Thrush, Flowmaster, Magnaflow you name it been on the truck I got at some point or another. The best sound for me at least is no pipes at all. I think it's all a matter of opinion. However I know better than to drive around like that, don't need to burn any valves.

Running open headers on anything other than a race car is just awful. I ran my Neon with open headers while I was trying to figure out how to do the exhaust and it sounded like an airplane from WWII. It was so loud you could hear it over a half mile away when it was accelerating. It also shot flames out the header and did a number scorching the paint in the engine bay. Now that the exhaust is on it, it's still stupidly loud and will still shoot a flame, but it's not nearly as irritating to drive more than a few miles.

I beleive his motor is stock but honestly IMO I prefer a smoother idle to a stroker with a large cam that has no pipes. Sure it attracts attention but that's what I love =P

Giant Cam - Open headers - dead smooth at 650 rpm idle....

Open headers are popular here. I've only heard one that sounded good. It was an old Chevy moving van.

Running open headers on anything other than a race car is just awful. I ran my Neon with open headers while I was trying to figure out how to do the exhaust and it sounded like an airplane from WWII. It was so loud you could hear it over a half mile away when it was accelerating. It also shot flames out the header and did a number scorching the paint in the engine bay. Now that the exhaust is on it, it's still stupidly loud and will still shoot a flame, but it's not nearly as irritating to drive more than a few miles.

No way! It's great on pickups. That's how they should be, and if it was one I'd take the manifold off, put on some long tubes, 2" collectors and leave it.

But on my stock Pontiac, with stock manifold, it doesn't really sound all that great. I like to hear my radio for long trips etc.

No way! It's great on pickups. That's how they should be, and if it was one I'd take the manifold off, put on some long tubes, 2" collectors and leave it.

It's stupid on anything other than a car that's purposely built to go racing, and even then you'd probably get more benefit with an exhaust. The only reason the Neon ran open headers was because it had to be driven to a couple different people's houses that had the tools to work on it.

The only people that drive around with trucks on open headers are the ignorant rednecks that don't understand the rest of the world doesn't want to hear your vehicle go up and down the street (or think setting off random people's car alarms is entertaining like that video you posted). They're right up there with ignorant homeboys that think I want to hear their subwoolfers at all hours of the night and really ignorant Harley riders that don't understand loud pipes won't save your life.

I can appreciate a vehicle that sounds good but pretty much every vehicle running open headers sound like complete garage.

It's stupid on anything other than a car that's purposely built to go racing, and even then you'd probably get more benefit with an exhaust. The only reason the Neon ran open headers was because it had to be driven to a couple different people's houses that had the tools to work on it.

The only people that drive around with trucks on open headers are the ignorant rednecks that don't understand the rest of the world doesn't want to hear your vehicle go up and down the street (or think setting off random people's car alarms is entertaining like that video you posted). They're right up there with ignorant homeboys that think I want to hear their subwoolfers at all hours of the night and really ignorant Harley riders that don't understand loud pipes won't save your life.

I can appreciate a vehicle that sounds good but pretty much every vehicle running open headers sound like complete garage.

Well, guess I am one then. I'd rather hear a loud as hell V8 any day, over a fart can Hon-duh or someones subs.

One of my dads 3rd gen Chevy short boxes had open headers on a 350, it got stolen one night, it's good way to tell if your vehicle was getting broken into, that's for sure. :lol:

Last edited:
I finally climbed in my trunk with the water flowing outside to check where my trunk leaks are coming from. I'm glad to be able to report that my sunroof drains are in fact not clogged, and are working as they should.

However, I did discover a bad trunk seal and the area around one of screwholes for the license plate has rusted through, letting water in.

I'll be ordering a bunch of parts real soon to fix the little things. Now I just need to throw a new seal on the order and clean the screw hole, then seal it up.

All in all, it was a successful day. 👍

What have I done to my car today?

I SOLD IT!

smiley_cry.gif
smiley_cry.gif
smiley_cry.gif
smiley_cry.gif
smiley_cry.gif

Ever seen a grown man cry?

Sorry to hear about your loss. Why did you sell it? You seemed to have loved the Legacy. What are you going to replace it with?

Back