What have you done to your car today?

It's actually the rich condition caused when you let off the throttle that causes the popping.

And as far as this exhaust shaZam goes, I have a straight piped sport bike and a truck with true duals, no cats, and just a muffler per pipe. Bike is tuned to run an open exhaust, final performance test on that will be on Thursday night. Truck runs beautifully, and sounds good too. Both can be loud as hell, and I prefer it that way. Driving something you can't hear the exhaust in is like listening to music with clogged ears.

It's not just dumb rednecks, harley riders, ricers, bro's, insert stereotype here, that open up exhausts or have cars that don't pass emissions. So let's pull the name calling out of here, fair enough?

I agree with the statement about wanting to hear what you are driving, but open headers on a street car, give me a break. And, yes, the popping is caused by unburt fuel igniting outside the combustion chamber. However, it takes fuel and oxygen to ignite, and given that exhaust gas has roughly <1% oxygen in it, its getting oxygen from somewhere.... Its hard on valves from what I've seen, plus its a waste of good fuel, which on a race car is $12+ a gallon. Also depending on the overlap in your cam it can lead or fresh air entering the combustion chamber and causing a misfire with stock manifolds or shorty style headers...

Again, I was not talking about a car, or bike, setup to run open headers with hardened valves and such, we are talking about taking whatever street car and tossing a set of SHORTY STYLE HEADERS on it and saying oh yea that sounds good and makes more power now, because it doesnt and its not good for the engine. Especially if we are talking anything from the fuel injected / computer controlled carb era. There is an O2 sensor that that should not be getting fresh air on it. Hence running extensions on long tube headers on modern day muscle cars that run closed loop...

Last edited:
It's actually the rich condition caused when you let off the throttle that causes the popping.

And as far as this exhaust shaZam goes, I have a straight piped sport bike and a truck with true duals, no cats, and just a muffler per pipe. Bike is tuned to run an open exhaust, final performance test on that will be on Thursday night. Truck runs beautifully, and sounds good too. Both can be loud as hell, and I prefer it that way. Driving something you can't hear the exhaust in is like listening to music with clogged ears.

It's not just dumb rednecks, harley riders, ricers, bro's, insert stereotype here, that open up exhausts or have cars that don't pass emissions. So let's pull the name calling out of here, fair enough?

Can I just point out that you've quoted me with something 1stlsx said. ;)

Did a check of the Del Sol, trying to diagnose where the small oil leak is coming from, we (my dad and I) think it might be related to the VTEC parts (we don't think a head gasket is going to give out or anything, still working on finding the leak.)

You're right, but all of those groups have people who feel the need to over do it and make it disruptive to the rest of the world. Putting an exhaust on your vehicle is done by people who want to modify their cars, hacking your exhaust off and running open headers around your neighborhood just makes you an inconsiderate jerk.
That's exactly how I'd word it 👍
Can I just point out that you've quoted me with something 1stlsx said. ;)
Sorry about that!

248943_2132783481762_1450758_n.jpg

Okay lets say fine it sounds decent in ur mind, why would you abuse your motor like that running open shorty headers?

If you really want to know, I don't run it with open headers. I run it with a full exhaust system with mufflers and cats. I just prefer the sound of no pipes.

You guys don't know loud until you've heard an open header, n/a 13b. Good lord.

Here is mine when I was swapping the exhaust! The video is incapable of conveying the absurd volume of the car. I had a 5 liter mustang a few years back, and I ran it with open headers a few times. The 13b is far, far louder.

Regardless, I finally received my new throttle linkage today, and it is a thing of beauty. I've rarely, if ever, come across an aftermarket part that is such high quality. I think it even surpasses racing beat. Here is a stock photo of it, I ran out of daylight hassling with the factory throttle cable so I wasn't able to finish the install. Tomorrow it should be ready. :)

LP4303.jpg

Agreed. My straight piped Camaro with longtube header's is loud, but my old straight RX-7 was ridiculous!

People seem to think old V8s are mad loud with open headers. They are but they aren't that loud if you compare to others like you guys are. I never said they were loud, I just like how they sound.

Picked her up from the shop as well as discussed forced induction plans.

So, we've decided on an A&A kit with methanol injection on the C6....
Now we wait. ;)

The transmission oil was changed (and long overdue thanks to lazy dad), and had it washed and waxed. Never seen it so shiny before. :drool:

8560217375_029705c3a1_z.jpg

Put my car in the garage at long last. Getting ready to go under the knife!

Worked on my neighbors 05 Saleen Mustang. Replacing the supercharger oil tomorrow. Ill post some pics tomorrow...

Put my car in the garage at long last. Getting ready to go under the knife!

Worked on my neighbors 05 Saleen Mustang. Replacing the supercharger oil tomorrow. Ill post some pics tomorrow...

Definitely keep me updated on this one. Want to see pictures of the car itself =P

Brakes , tire rotation, and oil change done on the Mazda 6
20130316_145628_zpscfcee1d1.jpg

Lunch then on to the Saleen!

Oil change and replaced the Supercharger oil with Royal Purple!

637b2711-22c7-4cc8-a4d0-9b5ce65650a5_zps44959162.jpg

20130316_163648_zpse0c8e4d1.jpg

20130316_163815_zpsd74a78af.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, lawdy! I love me a good Mustang.

Having driven to Denver (one hour trip) and back several times on my new tires... Pirelli P6s are scary as **** doing 60 on grooved highways. The whole car kinda shimmies or swerves from side to side slightly and it's very unnerving. Had to think up a new route to avoid those bits of road. Going to have them checked my next day off.

1stlsx
Brakes , tire rotation, and oil change done on the Mazda 6

Lunch then on to the Saleen!

Oil change and replaced the Supercharger oil with Royal Purple!

Wow! In 2007, we owned an S281, though it was that dark gray color. :drool: wonderful car!

Thanks guys. Just need a few more people with some high performance cars to pass along their good experiences with me and maybe I can get my business going...

Today I stood and stared at it. I replaced valve seals, but am still getting oil through the top-end, which is burning in the cylinders and confusing the PCM which is leaning out timing, which doesn't make any sense to me. Even if the valve guides were thoroughly trashed the oil would still have to get by the bran new umbrella seals. It's obviously not a head gasket and compression is actually better than expected. I doubt the new seals are bad, especially since I'm getting oil in the same cylinders as before, 2 and 8. Whatever, now I'm pissed.

Spent four hours detailing it. She actually looks good now, since I actually gave her the attention she deserves.

Back