What have you done to your car today?

Not the most exciting thing in the world, but I did some Spring cleaning. Interior only... which hasn't been touched in months.
DSC_0030_zpsb30c64e3.jpg

And I got some floor mats that actually friggin fit. I bought "OEM" ones on Ebay last year that turned out to be knock offs that didn't fit properly
DSC_0031-1_zpsbfa9a9fe.jpg

Well, guess I am one then. I'd rather hear a loud as hell V8 any day, over a fart can Hon-duh or someones subs.

One of my dads 3rd gen Chevy short boxes had open headers on a 350, it got stolen one night, it's good way to tell if your vehicle was getting broken into, that's for sure. :lol:

I agree that's how trucks should sound. Mine does.

EDIT: About the comment of most people who do this are ignorant rednecks who don't understand the world doesn't want to hear your vehcile:

1. Not everyone that does it is an ignroant redneck

2. I don't really give a 🤬 who wants to hear it or not. I like it and I'll do what I want to it.

Last edited:
Discovered the reason why my RX-7 felt slow when it should be making around 180hp...

My current throttle linkage setup's (very bootleg) geometry is preventing the application of full throttle. It has no mechanical advantage past 2/3 throttle or so. So, I went ahead and ordered one of these!

LP4303.jpg

It was expensive, and since they are handmade in England, it will probably take a while for me to receive it. Which sort of sucks since I can't really safely drive the car until I get it.

I also took this video!

I estimate I'm around factory power level (130 or so) with my issue. In addition to the throttle problem, I think the fuel tuning needs a bit of work, I need a little more timing, and I need to replace some ignition components. It feels far healthier than my 2, which only has 100hp but is 200lbs lighter. So I think 130 is a fair estimate. Again, I'm hoping for around 180bhp when it's done, which I think will be perfect. I've seen first gen RX-7s with much more power (a local guy has a 13b-t with 600whp!), but I don't think I'd like to own one with more than 200bhp, being honest. The steering and suspension is rather....agricultural...to put it nicely. Still, they are great bags of fun, tough, reliable, extremely well built, balanced, sound wonderful, and good looking. A genuinely magic little sports car.

2. I don't really give a 🤬 who wants to hear it or not. I like it and I'll do what I want to it.

That statement makes you look like an ignorant redneck.

This.

So yeah, I gutted the cat today, because no matter how much I hammered at it or pried at it, the thing wouldn't come off. I'll weld them muffler to the end of the empty cat I guess.

Last edited:
I agree that's how trucks should sound. Mine does.

EDIT: About the comment of most people who do this are ignorant rednecks who don't understand the world doesn't want to hear your vehcile:

Why would the rest of the world want to hear your vehicle? They don't care and all you're doing to bring unneeded attention from the locals and the law enforcement, not to mention giving all modified vehicle a bad image. You can related this to your exhaust, your radio or even your tires.

Be considerate to those around you and be considerate to the rest of us who want to modify our vehicles and not be constantly harassed or under threat of even more stupid laws that prevent us from doing stuff.

Everyone already has loud ricers or stereos or motorcycles around here. Might as well do it too.

Born to raise hell.

Like I said I don't care if they like it or not. I like the attention. I also like the fact the modified V8's, or V8s in general sound awesome and I love how loud they are. Personal feat. I understand your views on laws but at least in my state, anything older than '96 is exempt save for a few emissions things like if your vehicle was built with them installed. Other than that for the most part you're all good and no one gives you a hard time.

This to me sounds absolutely fantastic.

Forget the fact the Mverick here is a POS. Focus on the motor.

The second video is much better in my opinion. I love how there is 3-4 distinct, yet different tones in the exhaust note at the same time.

Slashfan
The second video is much better in my opinion. I love how there is 3-4 distinct, yet different tones in the exhaust note at the same time.

I agree. The only time I hate loud exhaust is when it's truly homemade. That's why when I say open headers sound bad I mean chopped factory exhaust sounds horrible imo, but aftermarket setups meant to be stupendously loud :drool: I think what I don't like is un muffled exhausts. In my opinion un muffled exhausts just sounds like a lot of banging around.

Drove to McDonald's to buy some breakfast. That was it lol.

I'm far more interested with my sister's new car, a 2013 Subaru Impreza hatchback. Driving my car feels like crap compared to hers.

I can't for the life of me understand why you'd want to lose a ton of torque just to make your car so loud that you can't actually appreciate it. :confused:

I can understand straight pipes on race cars, as they add a bit of power, but open headers just dump you back pressure all over the road. :odd:

For road use there is no reason why you need to run either open headers or straight pipes simply because they're too loud and pump out CO.

In answer to the OP: Got it covered in snow and proceeded to drive very cautiously. :lol:

I can understand straight pipes on race cars, as they add a bit of power, but open headers just dump you back pressure all over the road. :odd:

For road use there is no reason why you need to run either open headers or straight pipes simply because they're too loud and pump out CO.

My point exactly. Like I said a good pair of mufflers will flow enough air for pretty much any street car. Even my car that revs for ages and moves so much air its ridiculous doest benefit much, if at all, from no mufflers. Sure it sounds cool as hell and everyone thinks im running a huge cube motor, but it doesnt change the fact that it only puts around 425 hp on the ground....

Maybe one day these guys will have the time and money to build a real car and understand what makes a car quick and fast, TQ and HP, not sound.....

I think the camera is making this sound a lot better than it really does. I have shorty headers on my 98 Chevy and it has a LT4 hot cam in it and it sounds like crap with open shorty headers, plan and simple. And the popping? Thats cold air getting in to the exhaust valve :ouch:

Last edited:
Anyways I had to fix an exhaust leak on my truck caused by the fun off-roading I did. Gotta love welding over ur head while flat on ur back with a $50 welder!

My point exactly. Like I said a good pair of mufflers will flow enough air for pretty much any street car. Even my car that revs for ages and moves so much air its ridiculous doest benefit much, if at all, from no mufflers. Sure it sounds cool as hell and everyone thinks im running a huge cube motor, but it doesnt change the fact that it only puts around 425 hp on the ground....

Maybe one day these guys will have the time and money to build a real car and understand what makes a car quick and fast, TQ and HP, not sound.....

I think the camera is making this sound a lot better than it really does. I have shorty headers on my 98 Chevy and it has a LT4 hot cam in it and it sounds like crap with open shorty headers, plan and simple. And the popping? Thats cold air getting in to the exhaust valve :ouch:

I can pull up an assload videos of that same engine with different cameras and they all sound the same. It's the not the camera. And the fact that I own that engine, in fact 2 of them. Sounds identical.

Here's another one. Totally different camera and people.

Also, I have 2 V8s that have been built and been in my pickup. I know what makes power and what doesn't. Granted yes open headers loses a bit of torque but I honestly like the sound. So don't go down that road.

Last edited:
I love the sound of those open headers, Slashfan. No way in hell it's legal, though! :lol: I'm sure the 4.9 in my Town Car could be extremely loud with open headers, but I don't want to do that, it's supposed to be quiet! :lol:

Yeah the videos I posted were the 351 Windsor, same engine pretty much for the most part just slightly larger. That's how it would sound. And yeah I agree. They sound fantastic with no pipes.

I can pull up an assload videos of that same engine with different cameras and they all sound the same. It's the not the camera. And the fact that I own that engine, in fact 2 of them. Sounds identical.

Here's another one. Totally different camera and people.

Also, I have 2 V8s that have been built and been in my pickup. I know what makes power and what doesn't. Granted yes open headers loses a bit of torque but I honestly like the sound. So don't go down that road.

Anyone that is going to sit here and say SHORTY headers wide open sound good is kiding themselves. Im sorry but that is bad for the motor and sounds like ****. That popping noise doesnt sound cool it sounds like birnt exhaust valvea and lost power....

I can't for the life of me understand why you'd want to lose a ton of torque just to make your car so loud that you can't actually appreciate it. :confused:

Redneck's, bro's, and wannbe "tuners" don't know anything about performance, they just want something loud instead of something functional. Also I think they want their vehicles to sound terrible and like they're about to stall out.

Honestly getting an exhaust on your car that's the proper size for the power you're making is fairly important. It's really easy to figure out the diameter and what will give you the most gains. Most of the Focus guys go with 2.5" exhausts on their cars, but in order to get the benefit of it the car needs to be pushing something like 275hp and since 98% of them are making less than 180hp, there's no point. I went with a 2.25" because it produced a better tone and didn't hinder the performance, although I'm skeptical if actually added any power.

And speaking of exhausts, I replaced a clamp on mine after work today. I figured there was a small leak somewhere and that there was a problem with one of the clamps. Magnaflow actually sent me a new clamp too free of charge, which I wasn't really expecting. I'm just thankful a buddy of mine's dad had some airtools I could use. Problem is solved though, winter's hell on cars.

I also sent my two spoilers out to get painted, although they said it would take probably 2 weeks to get them back :indiff:.

Anyone that is going to sit here and say SHORTY headers wide open sound good is kiding themselves. Im sorry but that is bad for the motor and sounds like ****. That popping noise doesnt sound cool it sounds like birnt exhaust valvea and lost power....

Maybe to you but I think differently, sorry to say.

And the popping? Thats cold air getting in to the exhaust valve :ouch:

It's actually the rich condition caused when you let off the throttle that causes the popping.

And as far as this exhaust shaZam goes, I have a straight piped sport bike and a truck with true duals, no cats, and just a muffler per pipe. Bike is tuned to run an open exhaust, final performance test on that will be on Thursday night. Truck runs beautifully, and sounds good too. Both can be loud as hell, and I prefer it that way. Driving something you can't hear the exhaust in is like listening to music with clogged ears.

It's not just dumb rednecks, harley riders, ricers, bro's, insert stereotype here, that open up exhausts or have cars that don't pass emissions. So let's pull the name calling out of here, fair enough?

It's not just dumb rednecks, harley riders, ricers, bro's, insert stereotype here, that open up exhausts or have cars that don't pass emissions. So let's pull the name calling out of here, fair enough?

You're right, but all of those groups have people who feel the need to over do it and make it disruptive to the rest of the world. Putting an exhaust on your vehicle is done by people who want to modify their cars, hacking your exhaust off and running open headers around your neighborhood just makes you an inconsiderate jerk.

Back