What have you done to your car today?

My speedometer is fed by a wheel encoder in the rear differential, but one of the wires that connect the sensor to the harness has vibrated itself lose. So last night, when it came lose, until today, when I just fixed it, I had no functional speedometer.

I haven't done anything to my car yet, but I do have scavenged parts together for my truck.

A new set of gauges, one with a working temperature gauge (mine doesn't), a normal working speedo (mine is very optimistic), and a pretty rare (rare in the Netherlands) rev counter. 👍

Oh and a brand spanking new left front quarter panel.

Finally got the slave cylinder changed on the silver Miata and changed the oil while I was at it. Tomorrow depending on the weather I'll work on replacing a exhaust gasket, replace a leaky coolant gasket, fix the squeaky alternator belt and remove the dash to get at any mold that developed due to a leaky trunk and window seal. While parked for 2 months or so this car went to hell, which means it was in pretty bad shape to begin with. I was a pretty neglectful owner there for a while. 👎

Rust repair on my Toyota Crown.

From this:
529009_10200572872823668_472286692_n.jpg

To this:
69287_10200587423507426_779249515_n.jpg

Looking very nice, Clark. I love how much it shines and how new it looks! 👍

Ordered an AEM wideband, and my custom valve cover is finally done. The guy wants to wait til Tuesday for it to fully cure before sending it back to me. Some pictures he sent me; matte black is kinda hard to photograph I guess:

487874_10151428880596665_2101592983_n.jpg

563779_10151428880811665_2092513239_n.jpg

From stock (mine was black):
1862L.jpg

Other day I changed the oil & filter at like 9:30 PM in the dark lol. Got some High Mileage 10W-30 while it was on sale 👍 Next day it went back up to regular price. :D

Cool mini!

I soldered on my new fuel injector plugs to suit the new injectors:

FA2A12D4-7096-47AD-A977-C14E4F8A6837-6752-00000454DE4D4920_zps9891530a.jpg

And also ran the last two wires I connected in to my ECU through to the correct location on the drivers side and connected them into the switch:

692195C5-3B34-45E0-9EA3-D2A3B40AD2F4-7621-000005038F5F99D7_zps6cf18278.jpg

Here it is in place:

C8C1F226-7948-4E70-99F3-D9F82C3C235B-7621-000005038B0708B0_zpsddbca049.jpg

I went for that style as I had planned on using it as a launch control switch but for the moment I'm not going to run launch control (too hard on the turbo) so it's my data logging enable switch.

Not much but it's progress

Last edited:
My wideband gauge (52mm / 2-1/16") came today, so I picked up a glovebox from the junkyard so I can make up a template to mount a stereo and the rest of the gauges I'll get.

My wideband gauge (52mm / 2-1/16") came today, so I picked up a glovebox from the junkyard so I can make up a template to mount a stereo and the rest of the gauges I'll get.

I don't get the gauges in the glove box thing, they are supposed to be for the driver. In fact, I'm not a fan of multiple gauges at all really, especially when there are all in ones you can get that display everything you need on one display. Not that you need much for a street car.

It is really just down to personal taste in aesthetics. I dont like the gauges to be visible from outside of the car, and as this isnt a race car it's not as important, like you said, that i need to be looking at them constantly. But when i do look at them, and i simply think it's cool to see what my engine is doing, i dont want to be flipping through the options to get to the info i want to see. Multiple gauges let me see everything in one quick glance.

When I get a chance I'll get a pic but I had my friend help me do a really crappy weld on a sleeve for an exhaust pipe on my van. Needs a new system so this was just something to hold me over.

after 2 weeks it was time to check if the GTR was all ok, i got to drive her tomorrow because my megane is still at work and i cant use the car of my work for private things without permission

so popped the hood, checked the fluids and turned the key. started right away:tup: drived her around a lil bit and parked her again, because i had some time left for something i wanted to do for a long time, clean the engine bay!

so thats what i did, that RB26DETT shines again!

When I get a chance I'll get a pic but I had my friend help me do a really crappy weld on a sleeve for an exhaust pipe on my van. Needs a new system so this was just something to hold me over.

Put a glasspack(s) on it.
tongue.gif

I kinda want to do that with my car, and a cat delete. Better mileage and a little more horses. What's there to lose? Well, apart from like $80...

Put a glasspack(s) on it.
tongue.gif

I kinda want to do that with my car, and a cat delete. Better mileage and a little more horses. What's there to lose? Well, apart from like $80...

It's got a single pipe XD

It's a 1999, so it needs the single cat, muffler, and resonator on it 👎

A glasspack on a 3.3L 6 banger wouldn't exactly sound nice lol. I heard duals on a Chevy 3.8L and man that sounded terrible. Would rather run it with open headers like we did before lol.

To be completely honest, if I could think of a way to make it dual pipe I totally would. It would give me slightly better MPG. I've got a couple ideas, like either cutting a hole out and feeding another pipe or mounting a whole new one altogether but meh, it's only a minivan lol

Only a minivan, Slashfan? In the new issue of Honda Tuning there's an Odyssey from Japan with dual pipes... and 400+ hp. Looks sick. I've always hated big cars, SUVs and minivans and such, but with this Accord wagon project I've got going I'm starting to understand the appeal of something fast but also hugely comfy and practical.

Today I picked up a set of Pirelli P6s for the Acura. Going to put the $100 rebate towards a cat for my H22's exhaust. I'm also waiting on the material I ordered for my glove box gauge cluster. The stereo wouldn't fit without cutting up the box, maybe I'll do that one day, but for now the simple gauge bezel is just awaiting the black tweed wrap (Type R inspired interior planned) so it can be mounted.

Only a minivan, Slashfan? In the new issue of Honda Tuning there's an Odyssey from Japan with dual pipes... and 400+ hp. Looks sick. I've always hated big cars, SUVs and minivans and such, but with this Accord wagon project I've got going I'm starting to understand the appeal of something fast but also hugely comfy and practical.

Today I picked up a set of Pirelli P6s for the Acura. Going to put the $100 rebate towards a cat for my H22's exhaust. I'm also waiting on the material I ordered for my glove box gauge cluster. The stereo wouldn't fit without cutting up the box, maybe I'll do that one day, but for now the simple gauge bezel is just awaiting the black tweed wrap (Type R inspired interior planned) so it can be mounted.

Its got 184k on it its just to get back and forth to work, I don't want anything special. I've a got a truck for that.

Well, my back box decided to come off it's mounting bracket, producing enough force to snap it off. :grumpy:
So, I had to buy a new back box (£39.00). Great start...

Then, after buying some Power steering fluid, I noticed there was a leak in the system. So I had to buy some Power steering 'leak stop' fluid. (£16.99).

Then, I had to buy a new VR panel (the panel inside the drivers' door that contains all the electrics (electric windows/mirrors, central locking etc.)(£36.00).

All-in-all, £94.00 to fix all the faults with the Fiesta.

Wow wish I saw this thread earlier. Could have posted some pics. Just finished putting almost everything together after replacing both head gaskets on a '97 Mustang. Cylinder #6 on the right side had 85 PSI and cylinder #5 on the left side had 150 PSI. The rest of the cylinders had around 180 PSI. Oil was in the coolant so I expected a headgasket. All thats left to do is add oil and coolant...and fix a fuel line problem.

A fuel line crossed over a valve cover and I thought I had to remove it. Ended up damaging the line...I'll probably have to buy the whole thing which will set me back $30-$50...I guess it could have been worse.

Getting very close to the end of major engine job where you start the engine and hope nothing goes wrong and there arent any leaks...I've done 3 deeper rebuilds (piston rings etc skipped rings this time as the oil pan is murder to remove on a Mustang) on 3 different cars before this and never had a problem...hope my streak of success continues.

I'm actually in a garage waiting room right now. The Fiesta is having to get a whole new exhaust. At least it'll only need a wash afterwards, before everything is tip-top.

Every cloud...:P

Wow wish I saw this thread earlier. Could have posted some pics. Just finished putting almost everything together after replacing both head gaskets on a '97 Mustang. Cylinder #6 on the right side had 85 PSI and cylinder #5 on the left side had 150 PSI. The rest of the cylinders had around 180 PSI. Oil was in the coolant so I expected a headgasket. All thats left to do is add oil and coolant...and fix a fuel line problem.

A fuel line crossed over a valve cover and I thought I had to remove it. Ended up damaging the line...I'll probably have to buy the whole thing which will set me back $30-$50...I guess it could have been worse.

Getting very close to the end of major engine job where you start the engine and hope nothing goes wrong and there arent any leaks...I've done 3 deeper rebuilds (piston rings etc skipped rings this time as the oil pan is murder to remove on a Mustang) on 3 different cars before this and never had a problem...hope my streak of success continues.

Continued

After replacing the head gaskets on both heads and having the machine shop install new valve stem seals as well as machining the heads I started the car up.

Well, my worse nightmare came true.

The car started relatively easy for having sat still and having no fuel pressure for 3 weeks, but there was a loud ticking sound coming from the engine. I couldnt tell if it was coming from the lifters.

And it gets worse.

White smoke. Lots of white smoke billowing out of the tail pipe. The cloud had to be 6, 7 feet tall. And I didnt seal the thermostat right, coolant is gushing everywhere and onto the ground.

At this point Im gutted. I just sunk $450 into the motor to repair one leaking cylinder and I made it worse. Much worse. Where did I go wrong? I had replaced head gaskets on 3 different cars before this one, and I never had a problem. I followed all the instructions. Where was this ticking coming from? Why the smoke? Did the head gaskets not seal properly? Did I not torque the head down correctly?

The torque procedure for the head was odd and nothing like I've dealt with before. It required you to loosen one bolt at a time after torquing them (but you must re-tighten this bolt to the final step before loosening the next), and the final step required a further 180 degrees of tightening. I was able to follow that step by marking the bottom of the head bolt with a sharpie. So when the mark rotated to where it was facing up, I had tightened it 180 degrees.

The next day I turned on the car again. Surprisingly, the ticking wasnt as loud. It fact it was almost gone. I had put lube on the lifters and arms so if the ticking was going away because of built up oil pressure it made little sense to me, but I was relieved. The white smoke was still there though. Not quite as bad, but it was still there.

After some googling I decided to run the car for a few miles to see if I could "blow" the smoke out. I drove down the highway and back. And surprise, the smoke was gone! The ticking was gone as well. Apparently the car just needed time for oil pressure to build up and I had probably spilt some coolant into the exposed exhausts when removing the heads.

The only problem Ive had since is the check engine light coming on for the EGR valve. Turns out a hose had come lose because of age. I replaced it and the light is gone.

The car runs fine now.

Flooded the carb in the school parking lot & had to sit around for 20 minutes, & successfully blew & replaced a 20A fuse.

Gotta love cars sometimes! :lol:

Back