What movies have you seen lately? Now with reviews!Movies 

• Thread starter scentedsoap
  • 8,201 comments
Alien Romulus.

First half was good. I was a bit upset with the later half. A few scenarios from the first two films were reused when they didn’t need to be. Some key explanations were written in to connect a cou0le of the previous movies, but I felt this one could have stood on its own with how we met the cast from the start.
My daughter felt the main character to her was not the obvious main character.

I won’t spoil what happened in the later half, but all my anxiousness just died at the climax. From then to the end I was disappointed with the predictability to the ending credits. I don’t know if there is a post credit scene. Didn’t stay to find out. Anyway the franchise could go on forever.
For a two hour movie it went quite quick and felt like two flicks to me. The one that had me recess into my chair and the other one that had me face palm.

First half of the movie: 8/10
Second half of the movie: 5/10

Beetlejuice_Beetlejuice_poster.jpg

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice
👍👍

Having re-watched the original recently, I'd say this was better. Baldwin and Davis are a bit tedious in the original, and we swap them out for a better set of characters in this movie. The movie hits a very similar atmosphere to the original, but has more polish and budget to execute, giving it a cleaner feel. It's very Tim Burton.

Silly and gross. Watched it with a 9 year old that loved it.

Last edited:
The Wild Robot.

Opening of the movie gets right into it. Some killings in this one, a la Disney. My daughter enjoyed it. We were both turning and looking at each other in regards to the nonchalant way certain acts of the killings were handled. Couple draw drops, shaking of heads and my daughter said, “Is this for kids?”. Even the message of being different in society was laid on a bit thick. Not sure if some things were pure shots at Disney.

Well, graphics were excellent and an obvious absence of a group of humans made me think I guess it could happen in real life.

Felt like a mix of everything from A.I. to Iron Giant to Zootopia.

So last night we watched “Hellboy The Crooked Man” … it sucked. It’s slow, unaventful and even when there is action, it’s poor. 2/10

IMG_0176.jpeg

Tonight we watched “The Substance”

The film is good, but the final act was just off the wall insane and a little pointless. The cast were fantastic, the idea is good and really has something to say about modern beauty standards women are expected to stand up to. Also how the entertainment industry discards aging actors etc.

However the film looses itself which I guess is also somewhat the point, but it doesn’t make for a good end.

8/10

IMG_0177.jpeg

Last edited:
Under Suspicion. Oof.

Can’t believe that was the year 2000. Morgan Freeman at 63 and Gene Hackman at 70. Both laid the smack down in their roles. Just as good as Absolute Power a few years earlier.

Does anyone remember:
in the final celebration minutes of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, after destroying the 2nd Deathstar during the camera panning over Naboo, there are a few Gungan to be seen.
Is this retconned or have they always been there, before Episode 1-3 have been produced?

1728903508812.png

Last edited:
Does anyone remember:
in the final celebration minutes of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, after destroying the 2nd Deathstar during the camera panning over Naboo, there are a few Gungan to be seen.
Is this retconned or have they always been there, before Episode 1-3 have been produced?

View attachment 1397345
It was added in to the special editions of Eps IV, V & VI, that were created after the prequal trilogy. In the original ending of Ep VI (RotJ) the only celebrations were the rebels, and Ewoks, on Endor. I doubt Naboo was even a twinkle in George Lucas' mind back in '82/83.

Elysium (2013)

This movie had great potential, but the storyline and characters fell flat. The antagonists lacked depth, made it hard to feel invested in the conflict. (5/10)

Elysium (2013)

This movie had great potential, but the storyline and characters fell flat. The antagonists lacked depth, made it hard to feel invested in the conflict. (5/10)
Watched this during the pandemic time, all I remember from that movie was the machine was pretty dope.

Recently:
  • The Great Escaper (2023), very touching war movie and Michael Caine and Glenda Jackson's final film.
  • Robot Dreams (2023). I loved almost everything about it, except maybe some of the pacing in the middle.
  • Immaculate (2024). A horror movie acted and produced by Sydney Sweeney. It brings some new twists to the satanic subgenre and does pay homage to films like the Omen/Rosemary's Baby and some of Dario Argento's. It's quite good for most of its length time until the usual tropes catch it.
  • The VVitch. This was a rewatch and it still holds. Anya Taylor-Joy was so young then!
  • A Dark Song (2016). An indie horror movie that deals on loss, isolation, forgiveness, opening dimensions, raising the death, and summoning angels (!). It takes a while to get there, but the ending does pay off.
-I am Celine Dion. I watched this before her surprising/triumphant reappearance at the opening of the Paris Olympic games. Spoiler: No body horror movie will ever match the impact of her body locking up on camera... truly one of the most harrowing things I've seen on a screen.

Back