Would you like Drag Racing in Gran Turismo 5?

• Thread starter Patrik
  • 77 comments

Would you like Drag Racing in Gran Turismo 5?

• Yes! A complete mode with drag mods, burnout, stage in and take off!

Votes: 81 54.4%
  • Yes! would be cool, but it's too much with burnout and all that ****!

Votes: 29 19.5%
  • I don't if there will be Drag Racing or not!

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • No! Drag Racing would be silly and pointless in a game like GT!

Votes: 25 16.8%
  • Other...

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted "no" as well. What we have in GT4 already with the Drag Strip is all that's necessary. The GT series is a "Racing" Simulator, not a "Drag" simulator.

G.T
I voted "no" as well. What we have in GT4 already with the Drag Strip is all that's necessary. The GT series is a "Racing" Simulator, not a "Drag" simulator.
But isn't it Drag racing. ;)

I voted "Yes! would be cool, but it's too much with burnout and all that ****!". It's just another little thing to add. I don't think it should be a major part in Gran Turismo mode, but a head to head drag racing feature must be included, surely. It's ridiculous having to do it one at a time and simply comparing times.

However, the whole burnouts and such is rediculous unless they include warm up laps prior to circuit racing, and unless the physics take a major step forward, I can't see there being a point.

I voted yes, it fits in with Kaz's vision for the series to include as wide and diverse a variety of motors and motorsports as possible. I wouldn't want it in place of anything, but additional to the rest of the modes, sure.

I voted yes, it fits in with Kaz's vision for the series to include as wide and diverse a variety of motors and motorsports as possible. I wouldn't want it in place of anything, but additional to the rest of the modes, sure.

Exactly my thoughts too 👍

I voted yes to a whole mode! The only gripe is the cars... Would there be top fuel dragsters, or even pro stock? What use are they outside the dragstrip? All cars in GT should be eligable to enter any racetrack, the way it is! But imagine a top fuel on the ´ring...

I say yes , the more racing types the better , as for burn out ..ect , I would be really disappointed if GT5 didn't have burnout and smoke ....ect so it wouldn't need anything etc for drag ......

i say absolutely.... as i am a muscle freak i would love to carry the wheels on a charger halfway down the strip..... they should seriously put it in.... that would be awesome.... but it should be realistic..... real launches etc etc.... that would be way groovy

I voted yes, it fits in with Kaz's vision for the series to include as wide and diverse a variety of motors and motorsports as possible.
Didn't know that... I would have to vote yes, then. :)

-> In the first place, I find drag racing to be boring. But I woundn't mind if PD will include drag racing in GT5 (I choose #3 on the poll). (:

Ever heard of the expression, "variety is the spice of life?" The GT series has prided itself mostly on variety. I'm not talking about varieties of the same car and different generations of one car. I'm talking about cars, racing, and all that. I probably would say that drag racing should have been introduced in GT2 so that we actually have a favorable place to speedfreak those HKS Drag Cars on. Believe it or not, I actually do like drag racing even though I'm a road racing guy. Drag racing gives you that high-speed rush that can altogether be exciting. Even the Gran Turismo info on high-level power upgrades note that most of the bigger upgrades are for acceleration and high-speed. Hell... didn't stop me from modding out my 930hp, 240 mph Mitsubishi GTO/3000GT! It was okay then because you could simply increase the horsepower to insane levels and drive considerably well. Well since GT3, bigger power add-ons resulted in better acceleration and speed at the expense of handling. It's why I am trying to equip the following for horsepower modifications:

Oil Change
Racing Muffler
Port and Polish
Engine Balancing
Displacement Up (if available, usually isn't)
(maybe) Racing Chip

My GT4 runs usually shown me that you can't GT1 your way through GT4 because more power results in worse handling. The exception is if (and I don't mind seeing this in future GT games) you build a complete racing-spec engine based on the one in certain cars. So you can take an estimated 300hp V8 from the latest Mustang and make your own 500-550 hp engine with greater displacement and better reliability and fluidity. But that's another story for another time.

Back to drag racing. I said Yes with the works. I only said this because I know other people are going to want full-on drag racing from pre-staging to the win light. I have my controller set up so that I use the Right Analog stick for acceleration and braking. The only problem is that this setup won't allow you to execute a tire-shredding burnout- something usually key for drag racing. You have to be able to light 'em up like you're John Force, "The Professor" Warren Johnson, or "Big Daddy" Don Garlits(?). This next sentence might impress you Forza fans. I think the physics should be modified for drag racing so that we can have moments like this: < http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/017/920720_20050118_screen002.jpg >... or especially this: < http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/017/920720_20050118_screen001.jpg >. What can I say? Smoke 'em if you got 'em! ^_^ You dig, people?

Actually, it is possible to do burnouts, especially when using a drag set-up as you don't have to worry about the brake set up for later on. Simply rev the engine, release e-brake, and quickly hold the brake. Should lock the front wheels and get the rears spinning.

And just a quick question, is your entire life made of small essays?

i want them to make the drag racing better so you can actually race ANOTHER PERSON! i mean, what fun is it to just race you, yourself, and no one else! i can see how its good for testing gearing and such, but its still lame since there are two lanes and only one racer. its fun to have a drag race with your friends and see who has the better quarter-mile.

Yeah. Sometimes I don't like using as few words as possible to say one thing. I do like to be detailed unless I completely don't know about something. (wakes up out of trance) I've been on GTPlanet for three years (since Tuesday) and someone STILL rags me on post length? Some things never change... But I will try to do little burnouts with the E-brake. And if anyone else attempts to rag me on this three-year old itch... PLEASE reconsider.

Now to cover some of the extra little issues on drag racing. I've defended the notion of drag racing because I actually do like drag racing. I've considered it more for about testing than actual drag racing competition. Perhaps the only GT-type game I've played that had drag racing of some kind was the classic Sega GT. Sega GT had about two different venues for high-speed racing. One was this dark industrial sector while another was more like the Bonneville Salt Flats turned into a drag strip. I had won both events with a Carrozzeria-tuned car in that game. I think drag racing adds some extra diversity to an already-impressive game. Someone talked about how he/she rather not see something like a Fiat 500-series race down a quarter mile. Is that all you can think of? Hell, I once seen drag racing VW Beetles (older models) do some drag racing before. There was even one on the hit Speed Channel show "Pinks" that went up against a 1990 Honda CR-X. ANYTHING can be drag raced. Doesn't matter if you have the most powerful beast alive. Anything from an aforementioned Fiat 500 series all the way up to (granted we get this in GT5) a Bugatti Veyron can be drag raced. So you know people are going to tune up whatever they can to make ready for drag racing.

Now let's look at things PD could do to sort of enhance the experience. What they could do is offer rear wings to be put into place in a drag racing setup. Look at the rear wings of drag racing cars. Instead of how they are placed like most GT racing cars, the rear wings are sort of attached to the trunk/boot of a car. Another such thing they can do is offer drag racing tires for cars. Most of you are likely familiar with cars that have big ass tires at the rear. Here are some examples of drag racing tires:

--- DRAG RACING TIRE DEMONSTRATIONS ---
* http://www.staginglight.com/guide/tires.html -general tire information
* http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+T/A+Drag+Radial+2 -BF Goodrich g-Force T/A Drag Radial 2
* http://www.nittotire.com/tires_555r.asp -Nitto NT555R "Extreme Drag"
* http://www.hoosiertire.com/specdrag.htm -Hooiser Tire's complete Drag Racing tire lineup for various cars
* http://www.mandhtires.com -MH Tires' various tires

Notice how big and meaty drag racing tires are. Just like drifters, drag racers need all the grip and traction they can get. These tires just have to be fitted to cars for drag racing applications. Also imagine drivetrain-specific races so that FWD drag racers don't get left out. Some of the more popular FWD drag cars include the Chevrolet Cobalt, Saturn Ion, Honda Civic, and more. I know not a lot of people love FWD (especially for drag racing), but there are those out there who have some FWD muscle to go drag racing with. Let them have their fun. Well... I'm done. So you all may carry on, and reconsider any bashing about what I mentioned earlier.

Yay, another texan.

To add-in, I voted the works. The dragstrip in GT4 is a bore. Too easy. To have a burnout (I goto the nurbs straight with my camaro and friends and do that whole dealio on there) is a must, but with proper smoke effects too.

Stage in, and then timin is where GT4 is lame. Its no challenge in this game, you just gotta launch it. Theres no timing to get on the light and reaction times.

And thusely the most annoying, is no headup racing.

I really would as long as you are able to set the car for exacaly for what you want.
For instance I would really want to swap motors in a 74 Mach1 Mustang II, i would change the standard V6 to a 351 Cleveland engine, put a cam, and turn it into a stroker, even put a super charger,two 4 barrel Edelbrock carbs. then for the transmission i would go old school and put a C4 in it, to go with that i would put in a ford 9" rear end, oh and def. want to change gear ratios. for mufflers put a set of glass packs, and make it have x pipes. For the tires I would tub out the rear and put a drag tires set up. and then finally put on a Monroe Handler body kit. But, keep the colors as a red and black Mach 1. There are many more things I would do before I would be totaly finished.

racing tuners would remind me of the fast and the furious, when they had race wars

not ONLY smoke the tires ,BUT pull a wheelie at the start. they shouldn't limit the cars, like you have to have what they want to be able to do a wheelie, but make the game have more forgiveness and be more reallistic and let the car be able to do one, if the car is set up the right way, as it would in real life, it should be able to do one

wouldn't mind a gasser!

yes drag racing would be brilliant, with burnouts and the option of wheelie bars too.

ahh i can imagine a corvette stingray, 600 hp, foot down and whoosh, the front tyres leave the tarmac as you pop a huge wheelie :drool: :drool:

Back