Would you like Drag Racing in Gran Turismo 5?

• Thread starter Patrik
  • 77 comments

Would you like Drag Racing in Gran Turismo 5?

• Yes! A complete mode with drag mods, burnout, stage in and take off!

Votes: 81 54.4%
  • Yes! would be cool, but it's too much with burnout and all that ****!

Votes: 29 19.5%
  • I don't if there will be Drag Racing or not!

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • No! Drag Racing would be silly and pointless in a game like GT!

Votes: 25 16.8%
  • Other...

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No way, don't like the idea of drag racing.

Well I don't like the idea of drifting "competition", so we'll leave that out too, 'k?

People who don't like drag racing obviously have no idea of the skill, tuning, and precise timing that goes into it. I'd love to have a drag race mode, but it's only worth it if it's as realistic as possible, and you can compete against other people. That way, all of these people that say "drag racing's boring" will never win a race, because they don't know just how complicated it really is. They won't have any idea how to set up their suspension, gearing, tune their engine, cool down between runs, do a proper burnout, for how long, how to stage shallow or deep, how to get their reaction time down, how to hold revs, how to short-shift/powershift, how to keep on the edge of bogging or spinning, when to leave it in gear through the traps and when to upshift, none of that. And they'll lose, and get frustrated, and won't understand why the guy next to them with 100hp less just kicked their butt 5 times in a row.

I'd love it, but if they don't make it realistic there's no point.

I say no...in my experiance drag racing is just reaction time but what do I know, and yes I'm all for the drifting comp

I say...why the hell not!?

The whole testing your 1/4 time in GT4 was near pointless to do. Adding an option in to drag head to head would have been a much better improvement.

I'm all for it. 👍

Well here my thing... some of you talk about that drag racing is "stupid." Well, WHY is it "stupid" to some people?

No !!! GT'S a simulation of auto racing. If I want to drag race I'll get a drag-race specific game!! Why not want boat-cars and flying cars while you're at it?? I just want GT to evolve to the highest posible realism (short of jumping in my car and doing the same). I'd rather have a real driver's position view (dash and all) than drag racing.

Look at it like this. You have the standard road racing. You can do rallying events. Drifting has been implemented. Wouldn't you incorporate drag racing? Some drag races can be quite exciting. I'm not saying that Funny Cars should be in GT5 (who'd want to use a Funny Car around a road course or even an oval?), but I still think it should be implemented to enhance the racing you can do in the game. American car lovers will really get their fill of speed as they will be able to enjoy modding up a muscle car to do some 1/4 mile action. My muscle car preference is more of Trans-Am. However, more muscle car types will enjoy this sort of thing. The Japanese autos can enjoy some straight-line action of their own in FWD drag racing and RWD drags. Maybe someone can get themselves a potent FWD to take on (granted we get it) a tuned Chevrolet Cobalt SS.

Now if we can't have something like drag racing, there are two other alternatives, both involving Gran Turismo 1. (1) We could bring back the Megaspeed Cup. This was a championship in which you'd better bring a high-powered, really fast car. You raced High Speed Ring - Normal, Test Course, and High Speed Ring - Reverse. It was great fun as I tuned my Mitsubishi 3000GT for that event and won like it was nothing. (2) We could also bring back the Hard Tuned Car contest. The rules of this racing series is that you had to bring a heavily-tuned car, only as long as it wasn't a race car (or "Special Models" as they were called). I just find fun in races where cars are tuned for high speed or high horsepower. The courses would have to be about high speed and not about technical cornering. One example of a high-speed section that can be used would be the ultra-long backstretch of the Nürburgring Nordschleife that leads to the Start/Finish line.

But I wouldn't mind drag racing in GT5. Think about the one-on-one competition possibilities for something like this.

As long as they also incluse the effects of wheeling, give the option for slicks (and they look the part), and other things properly.

Also, the cars engine torque to shake the car around, or (if the suspension isnt properly set) for the car to twist off the line.

Also, drag racing suspension parts (4-links, pan hard bars, ladder bars, etc)

As long as they also incluse the effects of wheeling, give the option for slicks (and they look the part), and other things properly.

Also, the cars engine torque to shake the car around, or (if the suspension isnt properly set) for the car to twist off the line.

Also, drag racing suspension parts (4-links, pan hard bars, ladder bars, etc)

damn straight!!!
i want to twist some chassis's :lol:

And the LS7, -drool-. Id love to squeez that into my GMC. :dopey:

Its good to see a GM person on forums. :lol:

KINGS AMONG MEN!

i will be buying one of these soon :)

with one of these in it

down the track ill probably buy a 6 ltr ls2 cast iron block and stroke it out to 402 or 408 cubic inches :mischievous:

As long as they get low speed and grip physics right i'm all for it as i've been waiting since GT2. Two player/online compeditive drag racing as well as against the AI, MUST be included.

Pink slips and so on should be restricted to street racing games like the Need For Speed series though - they have no place in a GT game.

I voted yes, just becuase I believe that a racing simulator should have different type of racing... As for me I don't like drag, I don't hate but to me I think it is just boring. Some hate it some Love it!

If it does get put in I hope that it stays realistic with the tuning, speed, and time... I wouldn't like seeing something form NFSU2 drag mode with NOS and everything getting blurry once you hit the NOS button.

I 100% agree. Although, if they want to make it realistic credit wise. They need to have actual competitions, lets say you start out racing a Ford, once you beat him you go to the next stage, etc. Then they could give you equal credits as a full road race.

Voted No. Drag racing is over in around 10 seconds for the most part, so what the point. lol

Voted No. Drag racing is over in around 10 seconds for the most part, so what the point. lol

eight 10s races, elimination style, I imagine, would probably be a bit more intimidating, no?

i would have to agree with johnBM01. having a wider variety would help the success of GT5. i don't know about you but there is a certain feeling of satisfaction of maxing out your car down a straight, and just creaming the opposition.:sly:

i just recently maxed out a cadi cien down the nurburgring back straight, reaching an amazing, for a road car, 276mph and the shire feel of pride when i did that was awesome.

consequently i would have to say, "Yes! A complete mode with drag mods, burnout, stage in and take off!" although i would hate to ruin a Ferrari on it tho, so as well as that they should create a few drag cars, with realistic braking action.

Although i still think there should be a drift mode. i love road racing and all but after a while no matter how much u like it, it does become rather boaring.

Back