PS3 General Discussion

Jeremy Ricci
And PS3 is partially region free. THe hardware is, however, much of the Software will not be (especially for larger titles like MGS, GT, and so forth).

And that is the problem!, I dont want to buy lets say a US PS3 import it and find it does not play 100% all UK games..... so in essence I have to wait till March :ill: :grumpy: Why bother making the console region free!!!

No one as of yet has seen a ps3 game box with anything about region coding written on it nor has tried a ps3 game on a ps3 with a different region to it. I hope that eventually a list will build of what does and doesnt work....hopefully it will all become clearer.

Robin

How does this new region locking work? If the console is region-free, what does the game disc use to lock itself out of certain region? Anybody know?

It's the same idea that Sega used on the Genesis: individual games check the system BIOS and if the game is decidedly multi-region (for example, let's use Sonic 3D Blast), it will run normally barring any title changes for different regions (for our example, on an America Genesis the 3D Blast title screen would instead read be this:
but when played on an European Mega Drive system it is this:
). It is based on the system BIOS. It is ultimately up to the companies to include regional lockout, and is usually the case barring a few examples (such as the NES and Genesis with the forced regional lockout).

I assume it's part of the game software if it's not hardware region locking, though the specifics elude me. Chances are it may be possible for Datel or someone to produce something that would make all games region free without changing hardware....if that's legal, of course.

Edit: Toronado explained it better

Still not heard of many dead PS3's. I tend to ignore the more anecdotal stories and go for one ones where someone actually has a PS3. Of all the sites I've been on I've heard of one dead PS3 (red light and no boot up).
The main issues seem to be around audio problems when playing a game AFTER playing a Blu-ray movie, the 720p downscaling issue and some HDMI probs (mainly with older TV's). I can't explain obviously as I don't have a PS3. But from what I've read so far any issues seem to be minor, with the possible exception of the 720p downscaling, which to be honest, if it affected me would annoy me greatly. Luckily here in the UK HD came late so virtually all HDTV's do 720p and 1080i (all tv's that call themselves HD Ready must by law).

Thanks, guys. It would be cool, if it makes it easier to bypass the region locking.

My TV is one of those older one's without the 720p, so I gotta figure something out, unless Sony does first, I suppose. Not very convenient, that's for sure.

I haven't purchased any PS3 games yet, so I don't have a case to look at. I have all the demos from the PS Store and RR7 rented from Gamefly. I believe the games are region free. My PS3 says it was made in China and it has an "October 2006" date stamp on it.

Oh, GT4 works just fine on the PS3. :)

Have you demoed any FPS? And the real questions, have you plugged in a Keyboard and mouse into one of the eight USB connectors? And even more important, DOES IT WORK? Oh man..., gotta know..

(still secretly hating you, but living vicariously through your experience)

Hate to burst your bubbles, but does this mean it is locked to Region 1?

Sorry about the quality, took the picture from my camera phone. It is from my CoD3 case.

Duċk;2488536
Well, Sony created a section (that's in English, not in Japanese) that shows you what niggles there are for the games you have easily.

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

Why post the tidbit about GT4? We all know this already, and I stated it, PAGES BACK. Nearly what, 3 pages? I stated the game had issues if left in the title demo...like 4 times even.

I digress.

Pako - Don't expect any PS3 first person shooters to use a keyboard and mouse. Developers are going to want to offer a level playing field online, and by enabling keyboard and mouse support, you devide your audience, and hurt the playability of the game online. I know it sounds silly, but believe me, it's true. By default, no, a Keyboard and Mouse will not work for a first person shooter as far as control. However, you can use them to input text and navigate web pages through the OS.

Hate to burst your bubbles, but does this mean it is locked to Region 1?

Sorry about the quality, took the picture from my camera phone. It is from my CoD3 case.

Thanks for the (really blurred picture :lol:) of the COD3 case, This now confirms my horror, that major releases are going to be region locked, basically meaning most games...... oh well region free system my ass! Where exsactly is that sticker, is it on the spine of the case or something? Someone really needs to try these games on ps3's of a differing region.

I see thou that they are now using the new blue ray region system which seems to include more countries than the PAL, NTSC etc etc system before..... it doesnt really help us UK people but the US systems will now be able to play Japaniese inports no problem because its all reagion 1! as opposed to NTSC UC and NTSCJ

That bit about Datel maybe doing something would be quite cool, afterall they did a thing which made your PS2 a region free DVD player, I dont really know if thats illegal or not but if they could make the PS3 play legit games from all reagions it would be amazing!

Robin

Oh, and anymore home pics of anything PS3 realated would be great :crazy:

Have you demoed any FPS? And the real questions, have you plugged in a Keyboard and mouse into one of the eight USB connectors? And even more important, DOES IT WORK? Oh man..., gotta know..

(still secretly hating you, but living vicariously through your experience)

:)

• I played the Resistance demo. It's awesome, any FPS fan would love it. No keyboard and mouse support though.
  • I connected my wireless keyboard and mouse and they work perfectly. There is also keyboard and mice settings in the XMB. You can control the XMB and the Internet browser with the mouse and keyboard.
  • The DFP, DDR pads, SG Guitar, and the Ace Combat flight stick (I have all four) are not reconized by the PS3 since there are no "Analog" buttons on these controllers.

• The DFP, DDR pads, SG Guitar, and the Ace Combat flight stick (I have all four) are not reconized by the PS3 since there are no "Analog" buttons on these controllers.
Hmm, that's bad. Some good games that are better to play with their accessories.

The DFP, DDR pads, SG Guitar, and the Ace Combat flight stick (I have all four) are not reconized by the PS3 since there are no "Analog" buttons on these controllers.
Hopefully this will be fixed in the future. Backwards compatible should be for controls too, especially when they were designed specifically for certain games.

• I played the Resistance demo. It's awesome, any FPS fan would love it. No keyboard and mouse support though.
  • I connected my wireless keyboard and mouse and they work perfectly. There is also keyboard and mice settings in the XMB. You can control the XMB and the Internet browser with the mouse and keyboard.

That's too bad, I was hoping for a better answer than that. It's nice that I can surf the net, but honestly, I can do that with any of the 5 computers at my house. What I can't do is play a FPS with a Keyboard/Mouse with the PS3. Maybe a Dongle adapter will come out that will work with the PS3. Time will tell.

I would think that game developers of FPS would jump at the chance of making their games Keyboard/Mouse compatable which appearently Sony is leaving up to the desgression of the developers to decide.

How are the load times on ps2 games. If it doesn't upscale anything, does the load time seem shorter?

That's too bad, I was hoping for a better answer than that. It's nice that I can surf the net, but honestly, I can do that with any of the 5 computers at my house. What I can't do is play a FPS with a Keyboard/Mouse with the PS3. Maybe a Dongle adapter will come out that will work with the PS3. Time will tell.

I would think that game developers of FPS would jump at the chance of making their games Keyboard/Mouse compatable which appearently Sony is leaving up to the desgression of the developers to decide.

A simple game patch could change that for games. A firmware update can change it for everything esle, if enough people want it that will add it. Sony takes survays all the time and the ps1 emulater and RSS feeds for psp were two the things sony added just from the survays.

Why post the tidbit about GT4? We all know this already, and I stated it, PAGES BACK. Nearly what, 3 pages? I stated the game had issues if left in the title demo...like 4 times even.
Well, sorry for confirming and clarifying it some more. :rolleyes:

No DFP support?!?

👎

I'm pretty sure PD said the DFP would work with GT:HD. this is worrying, I really do not want to be orced to buy a new wheel for the PS3, the good ones arn't cheap and I don't want to buy a cheap one that's not as good as the DFP. Could someone clarify this issue 👍.

I'm pretty sure PD said the DFP would work with GT:HD. this is worrying, I really do not want to be orced to buy a new wheel for the PS3, the good ones arn't cheap and I don't want to buy a cheap one that's not as good as the DFP. Could someone clarify this issue 👍.

I don't think PD said that the DFP was going to work with the PS3. All we know is that they're trying, and that's because we saw a pic of a G25, DFP, GT:HD, a PS3 dev kit, and a special edition Gran Turismo helmet on a table.

I'll try to dig up that pic.

EDIT:

In case anyone is still anxious over PS1 and PS2 games go here to check their compatability. Interestingly GT4 Greatest Hits doesn't have main menu hang issue.
Personally this doesn't bother me at all.

Duċk;2488912
I don't think PD said that the DFP was going to work with the PS3. All we know is that they're trying, and that's because we saw a pic of a G25, DFP, GT:HD, a PS3 dev kit, and a special edition Gran Turismo helmet on a table.
Perhaps I should see if it isn't too late to take a DFP off my Christmas list.

i dont see why people are complaining about not being able to use the DFP because surely the playstation3 extras are better and even though they cost more surely theyll be worth the price.
also i much prefer using the joypad as apposed to mouse and keyboard as i find it easier and comfier.

i dont see why people are complaining about not being able to use the DFP because surely the playstation3 extras are better and even though they cost more surely theyll be worth the price.
also i much prefer using the joypad as apposed to mouse and keyboard as i find it easier and comfier.

You're kidding right? Let's say you're used to playing driving games with the wheel. You get NFS Carbon and you can't use the DFP. You have to go spend another 300$ to use a wheel. Yeah, that's very not cool and I'm actually quite confused if this is in fact the case.

Driving games are better with the wheel, period. Now, some people choose not to spend the money on a wheel and that's their prerogative. However, when a system is supposed to be backwards compatible and is unable to use one of the most popular accessories from the previous generation, that to me is a problem

Because until GT:HD comes out or, as is the case with myself and a few others, GT5 we won't be playing a new GT game for a while and the lack of being able to fully take advantage of the backwards compatibility sucks.

I personally don't want to keep my PS2 sitting out taking up space when the PS3 will play GT4 as well.

Because I just love the thought of going out to spend £200 on something I already have.

This should be taken care of with a patch, surely. The DFP is a USB device after all. I suppose it's time to chase down a PS3 manual and see if it's possible to configure accessory devices like USB devices.

The pic of the Driving Force Pro on the Polyphony desk indicates that they're playing with it, so hopefully when one of the driving games come out, the DFP will be compatible.

Back