PS3 General Discussion

Duċk;2488976
Already posted. ;)

I do wonder why the Greatest Hits version has no problems. Aren't the Greatest Hits of games just have a different label and a dropped price?
Not necessarily. GT2 had a lot of code changed between version 1.2 and the Greatest Hits version for bug fixes (I suspect). Ine of the GTA's (I believe Vice City) had some changes between Greatest Hits and the original. If I'm reading what Digital Nitrate has said correctly, the Auto Union is a usable car in the Greatest Hits version of GT4.

What the heck are greatest hits versions? Presumably theyre similar to New Zealand's "platinum" range, where once a certain number of that specific game are sold, that game goes "platinum" and basically is a hell of alot cheaper...

Its the same idea. They sell the game at a lower price after sales eclipse 500,000 or so (usually) and change the packaging occasionally. They also change the box design slightly:

Thanks for the (really blurred picture :lol:) of the COD3 case, This now confirms my horror, that major releases are going to be region locked, basically meaning most games...... oh well region free system my ass! Where exsactly is that sticker, is it on the spine of the case or something? Someone really needs to try these games on ps3's of a differing region.

I see thou that they are now using the new blue ray region system which seems to include more countries than the PAL, NTSC etc etc system before..... it doesnt really help us UK people but the US systems will now be able to play Japaniese inports no problem because its all reagion 1! as opposed to NTSC UC and NTSCJ

That bit about Datel maybe doing something would be quite cool, afterall they did a thing which made your PS2 a region free DVD player, I dont really know if thats illegal or not but if they could make the PS3 play legit games from all reagions it would be amazing!

Robin

Oh, and anymore home pics of anything PS3 realated would be great :crazy:

That picture was from the hinged side of the case, obviously.

Yea I was hoping for a bit more info about the ps3. Things like the PlaystationStore etc. Some screens showing what content is on the online store and screens of some of the games etc would be pretty cool.

💡

Not necessarily. GT2 had a lot of code changed between version 1.2 and the Greatest Hits version for bug fixes (I suspect). Ine of the GTA's (I believe Vice City) had some changes between Greatest Hits and the original. If I'm reading what Digital Nitrate has said correctly, the Auto Union is a usable car in the Greatest Hits version of GT4.
I remember reading about that too, but my buddy tried racing with the Auto Union in the Greatest Hits GT4, it wouldn't let him.

Yea I was hoping for a bit more info about the ps3. Things like the PlaystationStore etc. Some screens showing what content is on the online store and screens of some of the games etc would be pretty cool.

💡

Make sure you peruse the older pages.

Maybe it just lets you drive it at other courses?
He found a code to unlock the car for races and other tracks, and he was trying to find a code for the other special cars as well but never did. It wasn't a game feature.

You know guys and girls, I wanted to post in this thread about G4TV's coverage of "PS3: Day 1" earlier. I didn't really send in anything. So what I did was type up some notes from the three hours of coverage (actually, I only did 2 1/2 because I didn't want to do the "Cheat!" deal). Half of my full notebook is on X-Play's coverage of a few game titles released for the PS3. That is what I will be giving you all in this post.

"X-PLAY" REVIEW NOTEBOOK
Plans to judging the "next-gen" aspect.

Genji Days of the Blade (by Adam Sessler)
+ nice graphics
- Awful camera
- bad movements by characters
- too long
* Bad launch title **2 out of 5**

Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom (by Morgan Webb)
+ nice capes
+ great
- bad camera
* **2 out of 5**

Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire (by Adam Sessler)
- ugly
- God-awful
- bad camera views
- lock-on
- clipping
- bad framerate
* doesn't take advantage of PS3 *1 out of 5*

Madden NFL 2007 (by Morgan Webb)
+ Madden plays like it does on other console.
+ all modes are there.
+ lead blockers in game
* no need to get this game for PS3 if you have it on another ***3 out of 5***

Resistance: Fall of Man (by Adam Sessler)
* Premiere game
+ full of action
+ massive worlds and more
+ great pacing
+ Hi-def and Standard look amazing
+ large battles seem hopeless
+ think on your toes
+ great array of weapons
+ exciting A.I.
+ game learned from the "Ratchet and Clank" series.
Truly polished and incredible. *****5 out of 5*****

Don't judge games by launch titles.
General Overview:
They've claimed that most of the launch title games haven't shown their stride. But in typical X-Play fashion, the feature game is usually the best of all of them, as if every other game leading up to that is pure crap. All except Madden NFL 2004 got the average 3 out of 5 score. Basically, "Resistance: Fall of Man" is PS3's "Call of Duty: Big Red One(?)" in terms of a great launch title.

My X-Play Overview:
I've stopped watching the show for a reason in the past- reviews I don't completely agree with. I've always said that launch titles are basically the first samplings of a new console. Remember when you had games like Sonic the Hedgehog and Streets of Rage for the Sega Genesis? What about Super Mario World and Pilotwings for the SNES? Super Mario 64 and Mario Kart for the Nintendo 64? Didn't better games come from the developers over time? I basically think that these launch titles are basically there just to start a little library of games. Does it mean they are good? That's for you to decide. So most of these games haven't been quality titles from the first day. No offense, but I don't think anyone is expecting an array of "Game of the Year" nominees. I'd be more linient and look to the future. After all, a lot of games are in the works. You're stupid to think bad games ar egoing to continue to be made by well-respected game developers. It's why I say that I'd rather wait on prices to drop and for more games to be released before making the move to get a PS3 or something like that. I obviously don't have the money for a PS3. To give you an idea of how much it costs, my three classes I'm taking at my community college cost about $556 dollars. For that much, I could pay for a 20GB PS3 and will need to sell my books just to get a PS3 with 60GB and all that. But still, not very good launch titles. Wait a moment for better titles if you're that critical. Not that it means anything, but most of the XBOX360 launch titles got anywhere between 3 out of 5 to one 5 out of 5. Microsoft bias? Not enough good launch titles? Conspiracy theory...

I know I'm not getting one this year. Maybe prices will drop next year. Or at least have more units available.

All except Madden NFL 2004 got the average 3 out of 5 score. Basically, "Resistance: Fall of Man" is PS3's "Call of Duty: Big Red One(?)" in terms of a great launch title.
Do you mean Madden 2007 and the 360's Call of Duty 2?

X-Play is total crap too, especially for reviews. Even GameSpot is better.

You can bet on PS3 game prices dropping the same way PSP games prices dropped.

Whatchya mean? Are you talking about the standard price of games dropping from $60 to $50 like the PSP did going from $50 to $40?

In a response to the X-Play reviews:

I think they (the games) were judged fairly and received their fair amount of praise given that they are launch titles. Sure, X-Play has been known for giving somewhat "fanboyish" reviews in the past, but for the most part they are going to echo what most of the "average" gaming community sees. I have yet to see a bad review of Resistance, but games like Gundam have literally been torn to pieces by everyone.

What it comes down to is that you can't always expect the best from the beginning. The 360's track record proves that, and so too does the Wii. Over at Nintendo, Red Steel certainly is Gundam of the bunch. Titiles like Excite Truck and Rayman have been surprising hits, but most of the reviews of the Wii games haven't gone over an 8.5 in most cases. Better than average I suppose, but even GameSpot killed Zelda, and thats not good.

...Things certainly will look better as more time is given to developers for more games. Developers were pretty much unlocking the secrets of the PS2 up until the PS3 launch, so it is pretty obvious that the PS3 is going to need time (LOTS OF IT!) to get all the kinks worked out.

In a response to the X-Play reviews:

I think they (the games) were judged fairly and received their fair amount of praise given that they are launch titles. Sure, X-Play has been known for giving somewhat "fanboyish" reviews in the past, but for the most part they are going to echo what most of the "average" gaming community sees. I have yet to see a bad review of Resistance, but games like Gundam have literally been torn to pieces by everyone.

What it comes down to is that you can't always expect the best from the beginning. The 360's track record proves that, and so too does the Wii. Over at Nintendo, Red Steel certainly is Gundam of the bunch. Titiles like Excite Truck and Rayman have been surprising hits, but most of the reviews of the Wii games haven't gone over an 8.5 in most cases. Better than average I suppose, but even GameSpot killed Zelda, and thats not good.

...Things certainly will look better as more time is given to developers for more games. Developers were pretty much unlocking the secrets of the PS2 up until the PS3 launch, so it is pretty obvious that the PS3 is going to need time (LOTS OF IT!) to get all the kinks worked out.

Which is funny, considering many developers have talked about how they've tapped the power of the 360 into it's second generation (Epic, Ubisoft, and EA) yet the PS3 is at launch and still at the tip of the ice berg. I think with a few years time, the bar will be raised considerably. And I don't mind a console needing "time"...I am keeping it for 5 years afterall.

Duċk;2490408
I don't have G4 and I can tell you the only reason G4 is on teh air is because too many teenage boys are staring at Morgan Webb, something they play up. Heck I have a 28-year-old co-worker who let me borrow a tap eof X-Play episodes he had because according to him it was an awesome show. When I finished a couple of episodes I asked him what was so great about it and he said, "Morgan Webb is hot!" That about sums up X-Play's main audience.

If I want to try a new game immediately because it looks inticing I rent it and if I can wait a bit then I give it time to read customer reviews on Gamefly, Amazon, etc. Those tend to flow more with my opinions.

And I don't mind a console needing "time"...I am keeping it for 5 years afterall.
This is also why I don't mind GT5 being a ways off or the price currently being more than I wish to pay. By the time I get one the developers will be making some nice stuff.

Remember when you had games like Sonic the Hedgehog and Streets of Rage for the Sega Genesis?
Sonic was about 2-3 years too late to be a launch title. It came out in '91. The Genny debuted in '89 in America, '88 in Japan.
JohnBM01
You're stupid to think bad games ar egoing to continue to be made by well-respected game developers.
200px-Ealogo.svg.png

Duck
Yes. Tell us why.
Duck
Whatchya mean? Are you talking about the standard price of games dropping from $60 to $50 like the PSP did going from $50 to $40?
I'm sure it will happen for both consoles, probably being spurred on by smaller publishers, and game prices on the Wii.

From biz.gamedaily.com
A number of reports have been circulating on the Internet recently, suggesting that Sony's new PlayStation 3 has encountered problems displaying high-definition visuals on HDTV sets that do not support 720p. Today Sony Computer Entertainment America confirmed the problem to GameDaily BIZ:

"A small number of older High Definition television sets found in the United States only have 1080i inputs for HD signals. Those televisions will currently only play some PS3 titles at 480p resolution. PS3 games render images at either 720p or 1080p for High Definition, and you need 720p input on the TV to play select games that do not support 1080p. This is an issue on the side of the individual television sets, which do not accept 720p input, so when a game outputs an HD signal only at 720p, these select TVs have to display the game at 480p instead."

The SCEA spokesperson went on to assure us that Sony is working on a solution. A timetable for the fix wasn't provided, but it will be a simple firmware download when ready.

A Firmware update to fix this then. Kinda obvious but this is the first reply I've seen Sony make about this issue. Now, what about the peripherals like DFP's etc?

http://www.hypebeast.com/2006/11/nike-playstation-3-air-max-36090-hybrid/

Thats the link to see what the Nike Playstation 3 shoes look like..... personally I dont think they look anything like the console and having the release date on the back is just sad. They could have done better but I suppose if your only making 24 then it doesnt really matter, someone will buy them.

As for Sony fixing stuff ill wait a while to most stuff is fixed before buying mine, and also to see if this region free rubbish will be explained more clearly.....

Robin

Better than average I suppose, but even GameSpot killed Zelda, and thats not good.
GameSpot rated Zelda an 8.8, and while it's a lot lower than it deserves, it's still a good score. Everyone else is rating Zelda really high, and the average score for it is better than GoW.

Which is funny, considering many developers have talked about how they've tapped the power of the 360 into it's second generation (Epic, Ubisoft, and EA) yet the PS3 is at launch and still at the tip of the ice berg. I think with a few years time, the bar will be raised considerably. And I don't mind a console needing "time"...I am keeping it for 5 years afterall.
Didn't the devs say that DOA4 tapped the 360 too? And look where the 360 is at now.

And IIRC, Epic said that there's still a lot more power left in the 360 to be tapped.

Yes. Tell us why.
They just do. It's not like they have any huge flaws that just ruin it, but it just has that feeling of suckiness.

Just a point, any comments from devs regarding the "tapping of a consoles power" will never be accurate, each new game the developer comes out with will be tapping more power than the last regardless of if it's a better game graphicall, technically of game play wise ect. It's just typical developer spin and is in no way evidence for or against a console in cases like this. Specific comments like xx conxole is better to work with than yy console maybe, but not the tapping of a consoles power without the devs making any comparison to another console.

Duċk;2491243
They just do. It's not like they have any huge flaws that just ruin it, but it just has that feeling of suckiness.
Ah, okay. I've noticed that also, and G4 ruining everything (twice) seemed to bring that about in my opinion. But I've always fround the actual content to be pretty good. Just laced with the G4-isms (shallow and repetitive advertising and attempting to appeal to the demographic of "typical 21 year old") that don't fit because the show wasn't designed to fit that crap like everything else on G4 is/was.
But I'm just waxing about my missing of the old way everything was run (ie. under TechTV).

Here's some impressions for the PlaystationNetwork:

o Signing up - Pretty simple, though it can be tedious and annoying. It is 100x easier if you hook up a keyboard, otherwise you're stuck using the predictive text, which can be a tad bothersome.

o Username - This is pretty straight forward. Prior to registering your PN user name, you have to register your User ID for the PS3 (user profile). The downfall is you cannot use your User profile name, and you can't use your Real name...which is cool, but I would have liked to have used it, ah well.

o User Profiles - You can create 1 Master account, and then sub accounts to which you can allot certain amounts of money as "allowance" for them to spend.

o My Wallet - This is how you buy things, basically you put money in your "wallet" and spend it accordingly. It's very similar to iTunes. As of now, you can only put funds in your wallet via credit card, however, in the future you will be able to buy Playstation Cards (like the iTunes cards) to put money on your account.

o Online - Resistance plays EXTREMELY smooth, as does Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Untold Legends (which sucks). The only qualms I have is that Marvel has a crappy frame rate, but there isn't much (if any) lag. So, the online is greatly improved over the PS2, contrary to many reports.

o Your name is the same through all online titles, and in future updates you will be able to import your friends list to your games (as of now you cannot).

o As of now there is no direct chat outside of games, however, there is an email feature. THere is no supported voice chat outside of games, but it is something that is planned for future updates.

Well, here's the general break down of the PS Store.

o It's basically a webpage, it runs via the PS3 web browser. Very easy to navigate, and purchasing is made easy. At times it can be a little slow, but for the most part it's relatively fast.

o Purchasing is pretty straight forward, though as of now it can only be done through a credit card, however, in the future, there will be a playstation card you can use for your funds. When you purchase, the file will download and install. Currently, however, there is no way to download in the background, so I recommend doing it when you have nothing to play and there's something good on the tube.

o Content. The content, as of now, is small, but that's to be expected, since there aren't many games out and it's still early in the consoles life span. There are a few games out on the market place to buy (two) and a few demo's to download (6). The games are Blast Factor and some other arcade title (not interested) and the Demo's are: MotorStorm, Resistance, F1, Blast Factor, NBA 07, and another titles I don't care for. Along side the videos are some decent 720p trailers (and a few 480i I think) that you can download for free, nothing too impressive though. You can also download Blu-Ray trailers.

Other than that, it's pretty straight forward. You open the store, move your cursor with the left analog stick, scroll the page with the right analog stick. Circle brings you out of the store, and the shoulder buttons move foward and backward (I think? Can't remember, lol). Just go to what you want, hit x, it brings up the games menu, then hit x again to get to the purchase screen. Buy (or not if it's free) then it downloads and installs automatically, very effort free.

yeah that sounds for the most part like psp in terms of navigation, at least you have a few more buttons to work with, have you tried using a standard USB keyboard like the ones that come with most computers? also one thing i havent been able to quite understand yet, will there be full game available for download online or are they just demos of future and current games? final question is any word on pricing for some of these things?

Keyboard and mouse work fine, very smoothly in fact.

The real games (i.e. PS3 games) only are demo's, however, smaller arcade games are available for purchase. I already picked up Blast Factor, and plan on trying out the other title currently available.

thanks for clearing that up and thats cool about the small games for download, i actually just upgraded to FW 3.00 on the psp and looked at the online user guide for both the psp and ps3 (new feature with 3.00) very informative, i would suggest it to anyone with questions about the ps3 who has a psp already

From biz.gamedaily.com
The SCEA spokesperson went on to assure us that Sony is working on a solution. A timetable for the fix wasn't provided, but it will be a simple firmware download when ready

^ Best reason for having broadband in your home. Fixes-on-the-fly rule. :D

IGN
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/747/747178p1.html
...we're focused on our goal of shipping a million units to retail by the end of the calendar year.

Kind of makes you look differently on all those eBay deals now, yes? I know someone who spent over $2,000 on one, too. :lol: I'm waiting regardless; at least until early next year. There's not a single game that's making me rush to buy one, Blu-ray or not. Now if GTHD/GT5 had been a launch title....

From kotaku.com

Several industry insiders report that to cover demo download costs, Sony is currently considering charging third party developers. Here's what Sony is apparently thinking: Every time an individual downloads a demo, a service charge will be passed onto the third party developer. So they will pay for you to try out their games, instead of vice-versa. Unconfirmed, but it seems that this way the PS3's online service stays "free," Sony cuts its loses and third party developers get reamed.

If this turns out to be true then Sony are idiots and deserve to be criticised. But if it's not (and I'd assume it's not) then Sony really should try to get some positive media relations going. To be honest it looks like Sony's given up on the media. I mean, in general, the gaming media are not impressed with Sony.

From kotaku.com

If this turns out to be true then Sony are idiots and deserve to be criticised. But if it's not (and I'd assume it's not) then Sony really should try to get some positive media relations going. To be honest it looks like Sony's given up on the media. I mean, in general, the gaming media are not impressed with Sony.

That's fantastic: Sony found a way to ensure a "level playing field" for new games. The more popular it is, the more it costs the developer to demo it. That pretty much guarantees that anyone competing against SCE/Polyphony will get dumped with huge charges, while Sony can pretty much release demos for free. Nice job, Sony. 👎 👎

Back