PS3 General Discussion

That's fantastic: Sony found a way to ensure a "level playing field" for new games. The more popular it is, the more it costs the developer to demo it. That pretty much guarantees that anyone competing against SCE/Polyphony will get dumped with huge charges, while Sony can pretty much release demos for free. Nice job, Sony. 👎 👎

...And the sad part is that if this is true, we'll probably never see many 3rd party demos.

For now, I'm not going to pass any judgement until this is cleared up.

Who's to stop DVD Rom media demo's? The download times from the Sony Store network was brutal the last couple of days. A 640mb demo took over 4 hours on a 3.5mb Cable connection.

Good thing I got the Wii on stand by so I can play it while I wait for PS3 demo downloads. :lol:

On a serious note, I assume the horrible download times would not be the norm, or at least I hope.

I downloaded the Blackhawk Down 1080p trailer in about two minutes. It was 230mb. :confused:

I just bought a 46" Samsung LN-S4695D 1080p LCD. Mmmmm...

lcd1.jpg

lcd2.jpg

Awesome HDTV set, Viper Zero! 👍

Are you sure you want to place your PS3 where it is? Or, is it placed there just for the photo? :nervous:

So far, no PS3 consoles anywhere here in SoCal. None online, either.

I can wait, though. There's only one game I want and just three movies on Blu-ray that I wouldn't mind watching, but I'm not going gaw-gaw over not being able to have them, yet.

Who's to stop DVD Rom media demo's? The download times from the Sony Store network was brutal the last couple of days. A 640mb demo took over 4 hours on a 3.5mb Cable connection.

Good thing I got the Wii on stand by so I can play it while I wait for PS3 demo downloads. :lol:

On a serious note, I assume the horrible download times would not be the norm, or at least I hope.

Hmm...perhaps it's your area? I downloaded the MotorStorm demo in about 20 minutes, and NBA07 took me maybe 40 (I downloaded one over a Wi-Fi network, however).

I dunno, seems pretty consistent to me, but then again, I'm on a 5mbps connection.

Awesome HDTV set, Viper Zero! 👍

Are you sure you want to place your PS3 where it is? Or, is it placed there just for the photo? :nervous:

So far, no PS3 consoles anywhere here in SoCal. None online, either.

I can wait, though. There's only one game I want and just three movies on Blu-ray that I wouldn't mind watching, but I'm not going gaw-gaw over not being able to have them, yet.

Yeah, me too

BB, compusa, and goodguys all were out of them, BB had the motorstorm demo running though, line was about 15 people long though

BUT; when I went to circuit city, I saw a box of about 6 of them sitting on the shelf. I just about shat bricks till I picked on of them up and asked the manager if they had anymore( the boxes were empty) and quickly replied no.

Like you, I have AH game I want to play and MAYBE a blu-ray movie I want to watch.

Im in no rush...

Yeah, me too

BB, compusa, and goodguys all were out of them, BB had the motorstorm demo running though, line was about 15 people long though

BUT; when I went to circuit city, I saw a box of about 6 of them sitting on the shelf. I just about shat bricks till I picked on of them up and asked the manager if they had anymore( the boxes were empty) and quickly replied no.

Like you, I have AH game I want to play and MAYBE a blu-ray movie I want to watch.

Im in no rush...
You can actually pick up a 20GB for $750 on eBay (and Solid, please don't post about how the 20GB version is lame and all). When you think about it, it's a pretty nice deal, at least for this early in the PS3's life. You don't have to pay tax, nor do you have to spend $100 in gas trying to find one.

I'm going to run some Cat5 Tomorrow and hard wire it to see if it makes a difference.

Nice Setup Viper Zero!!!

How much did that set you back?

Let's just say that let American Express have mercy on me. I did get a good deal at the Circuit City store, very close to the Amazon price and the 0-day shipping can't be beat. But, the tax in CA is a bitch.

The PS3 was on display, it's laying flat now. :nervous:

Duċk;2493221
You can actually pick up a 20GB for $750 on eBay (and Solid, please don't post about how the 20GB version is lame and all). When you think about it, it's a pretty nice deal, at least for this early in the PS3's life. You don't have to pay tax, nor do you have to spend $100 in gas trying to find one.

But the 20GB is lame, for me. I intend to use my PS3 to store pictures and songs. So, why get a 20GB and then all that extra crap I need to get, to get what I want? Plus, I want the bigger HDD. I do plan to store stuff on it, and 20GB is too small. Plus, buying all the extra add-ons will be outside of the PS3, making things a mess for me. My PS2 (PS3) is (will be) constantly being moved around, since there is no one permanent place for it.

See, lame.

Gamestop and Best Buy both have the 20gb versions laying around In Stock here in town. I'm really surprised that they are still in stock and not vanishing in thin air like they were, but like Solid, I was not going to get a 20gb no matter how tempting it was. For me, the HD space limitations of the 20 gb really wasn't the issue, but as Solid stated, the built in features of the 60gb version should be the selling point here. ;)

For what it's worth, I hard-wired my Internet connection to the PS3 in stead of using the Wi-Fi connection and downloads are tons faster, as it should be on a 3-4mb connection.

And more of them going.

Yes, you're reading this right. Playstation 3s are going to be used in the medical field.
http://tech.cybernetnews.com/2006/08/26/ps3-the-medical-miracle/

Yeah, the medical research thing is old, old news. Pretty neat stuff.

Checking eBay, for a chuckle, PS3 console prices have come way down since a week ago. The 60GB version is going for $875 to $1,100 and the 20 GB isn't selling at all (three 20GB at under $700 had no bids).

Man. i used a full tak of gas looking for a ps3. Sucks living in the city. There is a wal mart not too far form the city that on black firday there was no one shopping there. no lines no nothing but no ps3's they got 2 systems at luanch and the last 4 that came in were rainchecks. gamestop tells everyone they wont have em till next year, Why they(gamestop) are allowed to lie is beyond me when you call. An EBgames empyloee told me they come in every few days.

Man. i used a full tak of gas looking for a ps3. Sucks living in the city. There is a wal mart not too far form the city that on black firday there was no one shopping there. no lines no nothing but no ps3's they got 2 systems at luanch and the last 4 that came in were rainchecks. gamestop tells everyone they wont have em till next year, Why they(gamestop) are allowed to lie is beyond me when you call. An EBgames empyloee told me they come in every few days.

If you want one so bad just get one from eBay.

EDIT: New Fight Night Round 3 PS3 screenies.

http://www.ps3land.com/article-1027.php

For some reason they don't look as good as before.

Checking eBay, for a chuckle, PS3 console prices have come way down since a week ago. The 60GB version is going for $875 to $1,100 and the 20 GB isn't selling at all (three 20GB at under $700 had no bids).

Well.....

ebay.jpg

ATM, I'll watch a few of them when I actualy have the money to buy one

What's with all the semi-nude girls in the PS3 eBay auctions? Do people think they're more likely to sell than other PS3 auctions? Not that I'm complaining as such. But even so it strikes me as either a bit desperate or a tad cynical.

Those Fight Night Rnd 3 pics look about right. I'm not expecting the game to be much of an improvement over the 360 version. This is EA after all.

Gamestop and Best Buy both have the 20gb versions laying around In Stock here in town. I'm really surprised that they are still in stock and not vanishing in thin air like they were, but like Solid, I was not going to get a 20gb no matter how tempting it was. For me, the HD space limitations of the 20 gb really wasn't the issue, but as Solid stated, the built in features of the 60gb version should be the selling point here. ;)

You know, you can take out the existing HDD and put in a larger one. Just a thought, although, the 20 gig still lacks the ports. But i have a question. If you get the 20 gig, what ports is it lacking, and is there any way to upgrade it to include those ports?

You know, you can take out the existing HDD and put in a larger one. Just a thought, although, the 20 gig still lacks the ports. But i have a question. If you get the 20 gig, what ports is it lacking, and is there any way to upgrade it to include those ports?

It's lacking Wi-Fi and a card reader. With the card reader, you can use any average one (though it won't be sleekly built-in with the PS3), and with the Wi-Fi Sony is supposedly going to release an add-on for that capability.

The 20G version WAS a lame when it was announced without HDMI port, but since that has changed, I think either version is a good choice.

But the 60G version is a better deal out of the box though.

Who's to stop DVD Rom media demo's?

Nothing's going to stop those, but the distribution is both far more expensive and much more limited than just posting it on the PS3 Network. For Sony's sake, I hope this is a rumour. Third-party developers are essential to all platforms -- including Microsoft.

Back