Rock Band/Guitar Hero - Discuss DLC, forming bands, and which is better.

• Thread starter FoolKiller
  • 340 comments
Actually I prefer the Guitar Hero controller's SP/OD Activation. I love the "Palm Mute" Idea, and it keeps me from having to move my guitar around...
Where exactly is the button on the GH controller? Ideally I would like a button within reach of the thumb. Using Select causes me to occasionally miss a note, meaning overdrive goes from 8X (12X on bass) to 2X.

Really, if the GH controllers were a bit thinner, had a longer neck, and high fret notes (do they?) I would likely prefer them.

I guess its what you are used too. The strat imo added change to the tradition, not improvements. The SP bar on the new GH controller is perfect. you can still use tilt and select(not easy).

I actually play better with the GH controller on those expert solo's in RB. Double strumming is also better with the GH controller. the squishiness of the strat makes fast strumming( Thrasher!) hard to keep combo. Clouds over California is another song i do better with the GH controller.

I guess its what you are used too. The strat imo added change to the tradition, not improvements. The SP bar on the new GH controller is perfect. you can still use tilt and select(not easy).

I actually play better with the GH controller on those expert solo's in RB. Double strumming is also better with the GH controller. the squishiness of the strat makes fast strumming( Thrasher!) hard to keep combo. Clouds over California is another song i do better with the GH controller.
My issue with the GH controller is purely in the size of the controller. It makes my hand cramp, while people have seen my Strat in the corner and asked if I took up guitar.

Cramping is part of the game lol. it took me up to GH3 to no lounger get cramps and aches in my hands. GH1 and 2 i still remember the pain going up to expert. When people come to my house they see two plastic guitars and too real ones :D.

Question, do you play expert guitar?

Question, do you play expert guitar?
No, my left hand lacks a large amount of dexterity, so I can't use it fast enough. Despite being right handed I have to use lefty mode just to play at all, and then I am unable to strum fast enough to 100% medium on some of the extremely fast and repetive songs, like Molly Hatchet or most metal songs.

I am working on doing hard and I think I will be fine on the less difficult songs once I can manage the extra button. So far on Warm-Up songs on bass I have yet to fail, but I have come close.

I'm going to make a try for the platinum drum icon this summer. :) My only real hurdles are getting through "Shoulder to the Plow" at all, and keeping composure during "Visions" which is not really that hard, but just not fun to play.

But how people actually unlock the "Iron Bladder" trophy (play the Endless Setlist without hitting pause...that's 6 hours...) is beyond me.

But how people actually unlock the "Iron Bladder" trophy (play the Endless Setlist without hitting pause...that's 6 hours...) is beyond me.
My wife is going out of town on Derby weekend (first weekend in May) and I am contemplating taking a run at it. A bucket may be involved.

:) My only real hurdles are getting through "Shoulder to the Plow" at all, and keeping composure during "Visions" which is not really that hard, but just not fun to play.

Ha. I beat it on expert guitar and its not fun its just noise, not my flavor of metal.

Thrasher>Visions

And it is real.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/21/lego-rock-band-real-coming-holiday-2009/

Lego Rock Band real, coming Holiday 2009
by Justin McElroy { Apr 21st 2009 at 9:57AM }

Click the image for Duplo-sized gallery

If you've worried about your youngsters being exposed to the evils of rock music, worry no longer: LEGO Rock Band is coming this holiday season on PS3, 360, Wii and DS to deliver us all from said evil. The game, currently being developed by TT Games and Harmonix, will use all the existing Rock Band/Guitar Hero peripherals.

The family-focused version of the game will allow you to customize your "minifigure avatars" along with your road crew and managers. The kid-friendly song list hasn't been fully disclosed, but we know it'll include:

• Blur: "Song 2"
  • Carl Douglas: "Kung Fu Fighting"
  • Europe: "The Final Countdown"
  • Good Charlotte: "Boys and Girls"
  • Pink: "So What"
So, LEGOs or Beatles, who's getting your Rock Band dollar this year?
I am kind of torn here. I thought it would be a fun gimmick, but now that it is real I am unsure.

That said I want to be able to play Kung Fu Fighting and The Final Countdown. If they confirm that they will be exportable or DLC later on I will be happy.

I just hope it diverts the majority of pre-pubescent players we currently have to deal with in RB2.. :lol:

That is so awesome, I just want to get it for The Final Countdown lol.

Also, after watching the charts for the Styx songs this week (as 360 players already have the content) I think I'll be buying all 3, they seem like really good songs for singing+guitar because they have fairly easy lyrics and rythmns to memorise and a fair amount of power chord sections nicely spaced with some decent guitar solos. The re-records sound a lot better too and as with the Thin Lizzy live songs and a few other re-records, the sound quality itself is way way better than standard old masters. 👍

The re-records sound a lot better too and as with the Thin Lizzy live songs and a few other re-records, the sound quality itself is way way better than standard old masters. 👍
The exception being Jimmy Buffet who opted for a more electric "rock" sound than his classic acoustic laid-back sound.

I'll be getting Lego Rock Band for sure, even if it's kid friendly I haven't played a Lego game I haven't liked yet. I wonder if you'll be able to import the songs from one to the other?

Can you import AC/DC?

Oh yeah I'm really loving the Children of Bodom song for RB. I'll be getting Walking the Demon soon but i dont have a drum set. I really love Sream Aim Fire on Drums with the GHWT drum set. The most fun i had on drums since clouds over cali for RB.

I'll be getting Lego Rock Band for sure, even if it's kid friendly I haven't played a Lego game I haven't liked yet. I wonder if you'll be able to import the songs from one to the other?
If I had to guess I would say that you can export them. If so then buying a full game, assuming a 60+ song ttrack list, is cheaper than getting the DLC itself, plus you have a new game format to play through.

If Harmonix sticks to thier guns of a platform it should be exportable. I figure we will get details at E3, if not sooner..

Can you import AC/DC?
Yes. Harmonix has been big on this platform deal. The only issue with AC/DC is that it is an exclusive store deal so you can't just rent it in order to export it, like you could RB1 if you already have RB2.

So, far the only one that they have said may not be exportable is Beatles, but they said that hasn't been finalized yet, so I am guessing if Beatles aren't exportable that Apple Music will be more to blame than Harmonix.

It is official: Lego Rock Band will be completely insane. They are actually combing the two games' concepts almost fully, and then throwing in some Tenacious D Pick of Destiny kind of silliness.

http://ps3.qj.net/Lego-Rock-Band-ha...e-buildings-more-new-screens/pg/49/aid/130637

Lego Rock Band has giant robots, destructible buildings, more; new screens
Posted Apr 22, 2009 at 11:37AM by Gino D.

lego-rock-band-3_qjgenth.png

Lego Rock Band be bringing the house down, baby. See, when the game was officially announced yesterday, I was wondering how much humor and playfulness the Lego brand of gameplay would bring to the Rock Band setting. Don't look now, but LRB will have you going against giant enemy crabs robots, skyscrapers, and call up weather storms by sheer rock power.

A product listing for the game has appeared in Xbox.com. In it, a couple of gameplay details have been revealed.
  • Songs you know and love: Rock out to everything from current radio hits to past favorites the whole family will enjoy.
  • LEGO-themed rock challenges: Play killer riffs to destroy a giant robot, summon a storm, and demolish a skyscraper using the power of rock!
  • Enhanced customizer: Don't stop with your avatar, customize your whole entourage! Design the band, roadies, and manager just the way you want.
  • Build fame LEGO-style: Collect LEGO bricks after each song to build cooler vehicles and move to new venues.
  • LEGO rock den: Buy furniture, decorate the walls and customize your band's hang-out as you climb the ladder to rock success.
  • Fun for everyone: Turn down the difficulty with an easier skill set option for budding musicians.
Well now, would you look at that? Brick collecting is also part of Lego Rock Band. Yeap, it wouldn't be a Lego game without collecting Lego pieces, wouldn't it? Anyway, more screens!

lego-rock-band-1_qjgenth.png
lego-rock-band-2_qjgenth.png

Traveller's Tales, Harmonix, MTV Games, and Warner Bros.' Lego Rock Band for the PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, and DS will be released for this year's holidays.

So, I see that they will let me do battle and destroy buildings, but what about the power to move you?
(If you get the pun, yay me, if not, sorry)

Where exactly is the button on the GH controller? Ideally I would like a button within reach of the thumb. Using Select causes me to occasionally miss a note, meaning overdrive goes from 8X (12X on bass) to 2X.

Really, if the GH controllers were a bit thinner, had a longer neck, and high fret notes (do they?) I would likely prefer them.

Sorry not sure if you got an answer as I was away. The Guitar Hero button is where your palm should sit, or... the edge of your palm rather, shown Here.
I actually get a odd cramp in my arm after playing for long periods of time, for my arm sits on the top of the guitar, and it digs into my arm. Rather Painfull after a few hours, so I switch to drums :)

Sorry not sure if you got an answer as I was away. The Guitar Hero button is where your palm should sit, or... the edge of your palm rather, shown Here.
Easier to reach than the Select button. 👍 It is also lefty friendly. So, it seems that the World Tour guitars are more lefty friendly. My friends all have the GH II or GH III guitars which are not very lefty friendly.

I actually get a odd cramp in my arm after playing for long periods of time, for my arm sits on the top of the guitar, and it digs into my arm. Rather Painfull after a few hours, so I switch to drums :)
With which guitar? I don't have a problem with the much thinner RB Strat, but the Nyko Front Man is quite fat and does make my arm cramp up quite a bit. Using my friend's older GH guitars, they have sharper edges so it feels like it is cutting into my arm after a bit, but they are thin enough to avoid any cramping.

On the new GHWT Guitar. The edges are rounded, yet it finds its way into my arm, It shall be worth your purchase if you are infact left...

Hmm wich is better?

I dont play any..

I never will play any

But Guitar Hero has TOOL, and I hear better Drum set.. and more hardcore levels.

But yeah TOOL!!!!!!

So I would have to go with Guitar hero.

Yes Tool is cool and drum set is better. I would assume there's more tool coming as DLC.

Anyway. I read IGN's preview of GH: Smashing Hits and I think im sold on it.

GH1:

* Pantera - "Cowboys From Hell (Live)"
* Franz Ferdinand - "Take Me Out"
* Queens of the Stone Age - "No One Knows"
* Joan Jett & the Blackhearts - "I Love Rock N' Roll"
* Boston - "More Than A Feeling"
* White Zombie - "Thunder Kiss '65"
* Blue Oyster Cult - "Godzilla"
* Helmet - "Unsung (Live)"
* Queen - "Killer Queen"
* Incubus - "Stellar"
* Ozzy Osbourne - "Bark At The Moon"
* Deep Purple - "Smoke On The Water"
* The Donnas - "Take It Off"
* The Exies - "Hey You"

GH2

# Avenged Sevenfold - "Beast And The Harlot"
# Rage Against The Machine - "Killing In The Name"
# Rush - "YYZ"
# Lynyrd Skynyrd - "Free Bird"
# Foo Fighters - "Monkey Wrench"
# Iron Maiden - "The Trooper"
# Nirvana - "Heart-Shaped Box"
# Lamb of God - "Laid To Rest"
# The Police - "Message In A Bottle"
# Wolfmother - "Woman"
# Kansas - "Carry On Wayward Son"
# Stone Temple Pilots - "Trippin' On A Hole In A Paper Heart"
# Warrant - "Cherry Pie"
# Alice in Chains - "Them Bones"
# Danzig - "Mother"
# Jane's Addiction - "Stop!"
# Reverend Horton Heat - "Psychobilly Freakout"
# The Sword - "Freya"
# M?tley Cr?e- "Shout At The Devil"

This is not just a compilation of he best tracks from past GH games. These are all master tracks with full band play. More than likely re charted. All but 11 or 12 songs have been revealed.

Hoping for:

The Devil Went Down to Georgia
Knights of Cydonia
No One Like You
18 and Life

Hmm wich is better?

I dont play any..

I never will play any

But Guitar Hero has TOOL, and I hear better Drum set.. and more hardcore levels.

But yeah TOOL!!!!!!

So I would have to go with Guitar hero.

Primarily - just go for the one you feel has the music you like but at the same time has good variety. Keep in mind just because you don't know a lot of the songs doesn't mean they aren't fun in either game.
Which has a better drum set is just personal preference. I don't really see much of a difference though I was told that the Rock Band 4-pads system makes "more sense" in terms of drumming but I'm not a drummer and don't plan on being, so I don't really care about this.

The DLC and general music content is better for Rock Band, and I prefer the general look, feel and layouts, but as I say, all personal preference.

On the new GHWT Guitar. The edges are rounded, yet it finds its way into my arm, It shall be worth your purchase if you are infact left...
It is still too short for my liking though, based on the store display at Wal*Mart. The Fender Strat is actually similar in length to the real thing.

EDIT: DLC Update

Rock Band
  • “I Know Where You Came From”— Hautwerk ($1.99 -£0.99)
  • “Stop Start Again”— Hautewerk ($1.99 -£0.99)
  • “Alone in My Head”— Hautewerk ($1.99 -£0.99)
  • Hautewerk Pack 01 ($5.49 - £2.49)
  • “Ridin’ the Storm Out”— REO Speedwagon ($1.99 -£0.99)
  • “Roll With the Changes”— REO Speedwagon ($1.99 -£0.99)
  • “Take It on the Run”— REO Speedwagon ($1.99 -£0.99)
  • “Blue Collar Man (Long Nights)”— Styx ($1.99 -£0.99)
  • “Renegade”— Styx ($1.99 -£0.99)
  • “Too Much Time on My Hands”— Styx ($1.99 -£0.99)
  • “Can’t Stop Rockin’”— Styx/REO Speedwagon ($1.99 -£0.99)
  • REO Speedwagon/Styx Pack 01 ($10.99 - £4.99)

Guitar Hero World Tour
  • “Iron Fist” by Motörhead ($1.99 - £1.59)
  • “Jail Bait” by Motörhead ($1.99 - £1.59)
  • “Love Me Like A Reptile” by Motörhead ($1.99 - £1.59)
  • Motörhead Track Pack ($5.49 - £4.39)

Last edited:
Bought the Styx DLC (but not the REO Speedwagon stuff...too bleh for me), its as awesome as I'd thought. Even just playing guitar on its own is fun enough.

DLC Update

Guitar Hero World Tour
  • “Sappy” by Nirvana ($1.99 - £1.59)
  • “Stay Away” by Nirvana ($1.99 - £1.59)
  • “Very Ape” by Nirvana ($1.99 - £1.59)
  • Nirvana Track Pack 02 ($5.49 - £4.39)

Rock Band
  • “Had a Dad”— Jane’s Addiction ($1.99 - £0.99)
  • “Idiots Rule”— Jane’s Addiction ($1.99 - £0.99)
  • “Jane Says”— Jane’s Addiction ($1.99 - £0.99)
  • “Ocean Size”— Jane’s Addiction ($1.99 - £0.99)
  • “Pig’s in Zen”— Jane’s Addiction ($1.99 - £0.99)
  • “Standing in the Shower… Thinking”— Jane’s Addiction ($1.99 - £0.99)
  • “Summertime Rolls”— Jane’s Addiction ($1.99 - £0.99)
  • “Ted, Just Admit It…”— Jane’s Addiction ($1.99 - £0.99)
  • “Thank You Boys”— Jane’s Addiction ($1.99 - £0.99)
  • “Up the Beach”— Jane’s Addiction ($1.99 - £0.99)
  • “Nothing’s Shocking (Album)” — Jane’s Addiction ($15.99 - £8.99)

Nothing great this week. I like Jane Says, and as a huge Nirvana fan I have to say those aren't the best songs.

Jane's Addiction are awesome but I've been spending too much money on Rock Band and I've managed to convince myself not to buy any more songs for a while lol.

So, I was going for Bladder of Steel and I was 3 hours in, on song number 42 (halfway point) Jane's Addiction - "Mountain Song" when my hand bumped the START button. :ouch:

So now I am working on a way to cover it with a bottle cap (tape seems to be my best answer), so I can try again tonight or tomorrow.

I was doing good too. Not tired, hungry, or needing to pee.

And for this reason alone no Jane's Addiction DLC will be purchased until I get over my current frustrations.

And I am finished! Six hours, medium difficulty, on bass, Endless Setlist 2 without pausing or failing.

Please ignore my wife talking to the dog in the background. I know it is hard to considering the crappy quality of the video, but I do not have a real video camera, so the motion jpg from my digital camera is what you get.

And it doesn't stop there, the game itself then rewarded me with this:
nonamew.jpg

And I am now satisfied.

Oh i must have sent you that message in the middle of that; my bad. :lol:

But i think you once said you have notifications turned off, right?

I bought the Rock Band export key today. I love "Won't Get Fooled Again" so much.

Oh BTW next week "Take Me Out" by Franz Ferdinand is coming out, i'm excited for that. Any song with two completely different time signatures usually interests me. :lol:

Back