Rock Band/Guitar Hero - Discuss DLC, forming bands, and which is better.

• Thread starter FoolKiller
  • 340 comments
There are better Weird Al songs/covers in my opinion.....

But like I said, I don't care anymore all I want is my Iron Maiden.

Because the music genre just doesn't have enough games:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/01/guitar-hero-gets-unplugged-on-psp/

Guitar Hero gets unplugged on PSP
by Andrew Yoon { Jun 1st 2009 at 11:50AM }

guitar.hero.forever.030609-580px.jpg

To quiet all the naysayers saying Activision has not announced enough Guitar Hero games, the prolific publisher added one more to the music franchise: Guitar Hero ... PSP. A late-night Activision investor call made mention of a PSP iteration of the rhythm game, which promises to feature "a drum component," according to Gamespot. Further details aren't available yet, but we'd be unsurprised if it looks a lot like Rock Band Unplugged. Chances are we'll see more of the game when Sony officially unveils the PSP Go! at its press conference tomorrow.

If my math is right, this is the fifth game to be recently announced for the Hero franchise. If they get it out this year it will be the sixth game out this year, the fifth in the Guitar Hero line. Considering the highest attach rate number I have ever heard this generation is 8.1 for the 360 I wonder if they aren't over doing it at this point.

The Beatles Rock Band details revealed:
http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143351

HMXHenry
Sir Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, along with Yoko Ono Lennon and Olivia Harrison Come Together for World Premiere of 
The Beatles™: Rock Band™

Unique Experiential Journey Through The Beatles' Career to Feature Introduction of Three-Part Vocal Harmonies, 45 Songs On-Disc and Reveal of First Downloadable Album, Abbey Road

“All You Need Is Love” To Be Released Exclusively as Downloadable Song Through Xbox LIVE on 9/9/09 with Charity Proceeds to Benefit Doctors Without Borders

New York – June 1, 2009 – Original band members Sir Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, along with Yoko Ono Lennon and Olivia Harrison, came together today to kick off the 2009 E3 Media & Business Summit with the world premiere of The Beatles: Rock Band. The first-of-its-kind music-based video game offers a revolutionary tour of The Beatles' music, career, and legacy. Presented by Apple Corps, Ltd., and MTV Games’ Harmonix Music Systems, a part of Viacom’s MTV Networks (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), The Beatles: Rock Band will be released worldwide on 9/9/09, as will the release of the entire, original, digitally re-mastered Beatles CD catalogue.

Unveiled at Microsoft’s E3 press conference, the game represents the first time fans will be able to experience The Beatles’ musical career for themselves. From the early touring days in 1963 Liverpool to the immortal, final performance on the Apple Corps rooftop, fans can follow in the band’s footsteps as they traverse the globe during the height of Beatlemania. Adding to the experience is the introduction of three-part vocal harmonies to game play, allowing gamers to revel in the unparalleled vocal stylings of the Fab Four. Beatles fans will also be thrilled to hear previously unreleased authentic voice recordings from John, Paul, George and Ringo chatting between takes during studio sessions recorded at Abbey Road more than four decades ago.

Of The Beatles’ epic catalogue, 45 songs will be available on-disc. Giles Martin, co-producer of The Beatles innovative LOVE album project and Music Supervisor / Creative Producer for The Beatles: Rock Band, unveiled the first ten songs that will be available on the game-disc: “I Saw Her Standing There,” “I Want To Hold Your Hand,” “I Feel Fine,” “Taxman,” “Day Tripper,” Back In The USSR,” “I Am The Walrus,” “Octopus’s Garden,” “Here Comes The Sun,” and “Get Back.” Additional songs will be announced at a later date. Along with these 45 songs, the entire Abbey Road album will be available for future download purchase, as will additional music from The Beatles’ catalogue.

It was also announced today that “All You Need Is Love,” will be released exclusively on Xbox 360®video game and entertainment system from Microsoft as a downloadable song for The Beatles: Rock Band through Xbox LIVE on September 9, 2009 with all Apple Corps Ltd, MTV Games and Microsoft proceeds benefitting Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF). Sir Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, along with Yoko Ono Lennon and Olivia Harrison, personally selected the international emergency medical humanitarian organization created by doctors and journalists in France in 1971 as the beneficiary of the proceeds from the sales of “All You Need Is Love” for The Beatles: Rock Band. Doctors Without Borders provides aid in more than 60 countries to people whose survival is threatened by violence, neglect, or catastrophe, primarily due to armed conflict, epidemics, malnutrition, exclusion from health care, or natural disasters. The organization is committed to bringing quality medical care to people caught in crisis regardless of race, religion, or political affiliation.

The Beatles: Rock Band story mode will take fans on an interactive, experiential journey through The Beatles career. Along the way, venues, set lists, clothing and instruments will replicate the band’s rise to fame, represented in The Beatles' touring period from 1963 to 1966 and their studio days from 1966 to 1969.

The game begins during the band’s earliest days at The Cavern Club in Liverpool, England. Gamers will then travel across the Atlantic to experience the band’s unforgettable 1964 performance on The Ed Sullivan Show, the sold-out concert at New York’s Shea Stadium in 1965, and conclude at The Beatles’ memorable concert at Budokan in Tokyo, Japan in 1966. The Beatles’ studio years will come to life in legendary Studio 2 at Abbey Road Studios. Highlighting the studio years are inspired artistic visual expressions known as Dreamscapes, intended to transport players to imaginative environments that capture the essence of The Beatles’ genre-busting musical and fashion transformations during their later years. The game follows The Beatles to 1969 where story mode culminates with their final performance on the rooftop of the Apple Corps Headquarters. The Beatles: Rock Band will be displayed during the 2009 E3 Media & Business Summit in the MTV Games booth in the South Hall # 2023.

As previously announced, The Beatles: Rock Band will offer a new set of hardware replicas representing the instruments made famous by John, Paul, George and Ringo. Featured in the set are the Rickenbacker 325 and Gretsch Duo Jet guitars—hailed as two of the celebrated, signature instruments played by John Lennon and George Harrison throughout their careers. Also included is a Höfner bass controller—a large-scale replica of the bass famously used by Sir Paul McCartney. Rounding out the set is a Ringo Starr inspired, Ludwig-branded Rock Band 2 drum set with a classic pearl finish and vintage replica Beatles kick drum head.

The Beatles: Rock Band will be available simultaneously worldwide in North America, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and other territories for the Xbox®360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system from Sony, and the Wii™ home videogame console from Nintendo on September 9, 2009. The game will be compatible with all Rock Band™ instrument controllers, as well as most Guitar Hero® and other third party music video game peripherals and microphone.

The Beatles: Rock Band marks the first time that Apple Corps, along with EMI Music, Sony/ATV Music Publishing, Harrisongs Ltd and Startling Music Ltd has agreed to present The Beatles music in an interactive video game format. The Beatles: Rock Band will be published by MTV Games and developed by Harmonix, the world’s premier music video game company and creators of the best-selling Rock Band. Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) will serve as distribution partner for the game. In addition, Giles Martin, co-producer of The Beatles innovative LOVE album project, is providing his expertise and serving as Music Producer for this groundbreaking Beatles project.

For more information on The Beatles: Rock Band, as well as art and video assets, please visit HYPERLINK "http://www.thebeatlesrockband.com/press" http://www.thebeatlesrockband.com/press.

To access b-roll footage, including:
Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, along with Yoko Ono Lennon, and Olivia Harrison
30 seconds The Beatles: Rock Band on-stage demo performance
Alex Rigopulos CEO And Co-Founder of Harmonix Music Systems
Van Toffler, President of MTV Networks Music Group
Giles Martin, Music Supervisor and Creative Producer for The Beatles: Rock Band

North American Satellite Coordinates
Date: Monday, June 1, 2009
Times: 4:30 – 5:00 PM EDT & 7:00 – 7:30 PM EDT
Satellite: Galaxy 3C at 95.0°W
Transponder: C-04/ Analog** 36 MHz.
Downlink Freq.: 3780 MHz. Vertical Polarity
Audio: 6.2/6.8 MHz.

European Satellite Coordinates
Time: 20:30-21:00 GMT
Satellite: Eutelsat W2-A @ 10.0 Degrees East
Transponder: F-06 (Digital) 9 MHz. (Ku Band)
Channel: “D”
Downlink Freq.: 12,703.83 MHz. Vertical Polarity
FEC: 3/4
Symbol Rate: 6.1113
Audio: Ch. 1 & Ch. 2

FTP Details
Time: 4:30 PM EDT
URL: HYPERLINK "http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c99362/thebeatlesrockband.mov" http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c993...esrockband.mov

Heres the trailer in youtube form:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmQXaScIhyg

Me want 👍:drool:
3-part vocal harmonies!!!!

Despite the entry price being outrageously expensive, I'm in. After having a Rock Band jam-out with some of my friends over the weekend, The Beatles version will only expand on the fun we have... Especially since a few of us like to sing at the same time. That, and playing some of the best music ever recorded. Its going to re-introduce The Beatles to an entirely new generation, which is just awesome.

Plus, I can't wait to play Back in the USSR!

Despite the entry price being outrageously expensive, I'm in. After having a Rock Band jam-out with some of my friends over the weekend, The Beatles version will only expand on the fun we have... Especially since a few of us like to sing at the same time. That, and playing some of the best music ever recorded. Its going to re-introduce The Beatles to an entirely new generation, which is just awesome.

Plus, I can't wait to play Back in the USSR!
How is it outrageoulsy expensive? It will work with regular Rock Band isntruments. It is only expensive if you have never bought anything Guitar Hero or Rock Band related this generation.

Even then you can just buy the one instrument you want to play if you choose.

I was originally going to only purchase the George Harrisn Gretsch, but I think I might need to get a couple of mics too.....:sly:

How is it outrageoulsy expensive?

$250 is a little steep for a game and a few controllers, but I agree on your points. I have all of the stuff, albeit with a broken guitar that is only good for bass playing. Seeing as how I'm a sucker for The Beatles, though, I will likely end up shelling out the cash for the new equipment, extra microphones, and all that jazz.

Gotta have the whole kit, righhhhhttt?

Gotta have the whole kit, righhhhhttt?
That is how it becomes expensive. I am going to resist my urge to buy the newer, more expensive instruments.

I also have SingStar, and I can't remember if the blue mic works in Rock Band or if the Rock Band mic works as the blue mic in SingStar. If it works in Rock Band then I can bust out my PS2 USB headset and use it as well, giving me the full set already.

I just need to replace my original Rock Band Strat with one that has a working tilt sensor.

Seeing as how a new guitar is going to run me $80 bucks anyway, I may just bite the bullet and do it. Of course, that all depends on how much money I have. With all of the new games coming out (FM3, ODST, MW2, etc), my pocket book will be empty.

This is the first time in a long time that I've been really, really excited about videogames (again).

That is how it becomes expensive. I am going to resist my urge to buy the newer, more expensive instruments.

I also have SingStar, and I can't remember if the blue mic works in Rock Band or if the Rock Band mic works as the blue mic in SingStar. If it works in Rock Band then I can bust out my PS2 USB headset and use it as well, giving me the full set already.

I just need to replace my original Rock Band Strat with one that has a working tilt sensor.

All mics should work, at least thats what I remember. The only difference is quality, some mics aren't as good as the official ones but I expect SingStar mics to be good enough.

I'm in the same condition as YSSMAN, only worse. I'm planning on buying the entire set + the Guitars (AFAIK, $450). I'll probably sell my (brand new) RB2 instruments and recoup some of the cost.

However, on the same day (9/9/09), the entire Remastered Beatles catalog releases and I'm wanting to get the box set.

My Birthday is the 1st, so you can guess what I'll be asking for 💡

From,
Chris.

Because the music genre just doesn't have enough games:

If my math is right, this is the fifth game to be recently announced for the Hero franchise. If they get it out this year it will be the sixth game out this year, the fifth in the Guitar Hero line. Considering the highest attach rate number I have ever heard this generation is 8.1 for the 360 I wonder if they aren't over doing it at this point.

I think Sony has a little something to do with this the same way they are convincing developers to come full force with the PSP software. A year ago there wasnt a whole lot going for psp software. It had a few good games but not much else. This year they have many many titles coming for the PSP that are relevant and not jrpgs.

I think Sony has a little something to do with this the same way they are convincing developers to come full force with the PSP software. A year ago there wasnt a whole lot going for psp software. It had a few good games but not much else. This year they have many many titles coming for the PSP that are relevant and not jrpgs.

Well, really, its about time seeing as its been a bit dire in terms of good games for a long time now. The PSP must be one of the most successful games consoles to never be really popular for more than 10 of its games. Even the Dreamcast had a decent sized library of awesome games and that helped kill off Sega.
I'm not saying it doesn't have any or many good games, but relative to almost every other console, it has done rather poorly all these years its been out.

10? wow. How many of those ten have you played or was that sarcasim becasue Sony has far more than 10 good games. I own 30 UMD games and none of them suck. Where do you get your info from? I've been an owner since 05 and have stayed close to the PSP game culture.

1 God of War: Chains of Olympus 91
2 Lumines 89
3 WipEout Pure 88
4 Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of The Lions 88
5 Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories 88
6 Tekken: Dark Resurrection 88
7 Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children 88
8 Ridge Racer 88
9 Jeanne d'Arc 87
10 Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror 87
11 Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops 87
12 Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness 87
13 Burnout Legends 86
14 Patapon 86
15 LocoRoco 2 86
16 Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories 86
17 Daxter 85
18 Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow 85
19 Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters 85
20 Virtua Tennis: World Tour 84

Thats just the top 20 over 80%. Metracritc has 67 games rated 80% or higher. Dreamcast has 50. DC does have more rated 90. But we are comparing console VS handheld here and ones been around longer.

On topic GH5 has its band list revealed looking very good and I welcome Megadeth back to GH and welcome Jhonny Cash to the party :D...

Some more TB:RB News, am I right in thinking we need a thread?

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/01/the-beatles-rock-band-intro-is-our-real-love
(Be sure to click the link for the video!)
Joystiq
Rock Band fans will no doubt recognize the 3D models found in the background action of The Beatles: Rock Band, but it was the game's intro that really stole our hearts at Microsoft's Pre-E3 Conference. Using a stylized animation that spanned the early days to the later years of the band's history, the intro video to The Beatles: Rock Band left us wishing the entire game adopted the unique style instead of the standard Rock Band look. Take a look for yourself (above) and let us know which you'd prefer.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/01/see-the-first-beatles-rock-band-trailer-and-ludwig-drums/
(Again, trailer after the link)

ludwig-drums-580.jpg

Joystiq
It debuted only a few hours ago at Microsoft's E3 press briefing, and now we have it right here for your viewing pleasure on the Joystiq stage, the first trailer for The Beatles: Rock Band. The trailer travels through the various eras of the Beatles' career, from the humble, black and white beginnings to the trippy, technicolor middle and even the famous performance atop Apple Records. Check it out after the break.

We've also got the first shot of the game's Ludwig drums. We think it's safe to say they don't quite replicate the look of the real thing as well as the guitars. We're sure they play just fine though.

From,
Chris.

10? wow. How many of those ten have you played or was that sarcasim becasue Sony has far more than 10 good games. I own 30 UMD games and none of them suck. Where do you get your info from? I've been an owner since 05 and have stayed close to the PSP game culture.

1 God of War: Chains of Olympus 91
2 Lumines 89
3 WipEout Pure 88
4 Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of The Lions 88
5 Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories 88
6 Tekken: Dark Resurrection 88
7 Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children 88
8 Ridge Racer 88
9 Jeanne d'Arc 87
10 Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror 87
11 Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops 87
12 Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness 87
13 Burnout Legends 86
14 Patapon 86
15 LocoRoco 2 86
16 Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories 86
17 Daxter 85
18 Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow 85
19 Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters 85
20 Virtua Tennis: World Tour 84

Thats just the top 20 over 80%. Metracritc has 67 games rated 80% or higher. Dreamcast has 50. DC does have more rated 90. But we are comparing console VS handheld here and ones been around longer.

On topic GH5 has its band list revealed looking very good and I welcome Megadeth back to GH and welcome Jhonny Cash to the party :D...

I wasn't referring to good games in the sense of how many have been rated highly, just purely by word of mouth, I can't remember very many that get mentioned by people with PSP's in our conversations.
The console seems to be doing well purely off its media capabilities and homebrew but then this is only my circle of friends (+ random other people who have mentioned the PSP from time to time).

Granted, not a very accurate way to determine how successful a console is doing, but meh, thats the impression I get from talking to people about it.

Not that this has anything important to do with Rock Band, but I'm sitting here watching some coverage on the new DJ Hero game, and its really getting me in the mood to see something new from Harmonix as well. Maybe not a turntable, but I've been wanting some kind of synth/keyboard element for a while (The Killers and Rush would be awesome with that).

Hmmm. Its probably going to be a while.

So I finally beat Are you dead yet on expert guitar. RB 1's version is messed up as RB2 has a section thats all hammer ons. RB they are just normal notes which make it harder. I used the GHWT guitar. I did on my second try.

DLC UPDATE

Rock Band
  • Bonnaroo Pack 01 ($9.99) (£4.99/€7.99)
  • A Favor House Atlantic - Coheed & Cambria ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • Shimmer & Shine - Ben Harper ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • The Running Free - Coheed & Cambria ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • Wilson (Live) - Phish ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • Steady at the Wheel - Shooter Jennings ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • Wolf Like Me - TV on the Radio ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)

Rock Band Unplugged
  • The Kill - 30 Seconds to Mars ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • Feed the Tree - Belly ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • Inside the Fire - Disturbed ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • Gimme Three Steps - Lynyrd Skynyrd ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • Hysteria - Muse ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • Typical - Mute Math ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • Just a Girl - No Doubt ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • Wonderwall - Oasis ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • Crushcrushcrush - Paramore ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • Under the Bridge - Red Hot Chili Peppers ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)

Last edited:
OK, I have to ask a stupid question - how do you get DLC into the game? I DLed a number of free songs, but they haven't shown up anywhere except on the PS3, not in the game itself.

OK, I have to ask a stupid question - how do you get DLC into the game? I DLed a number of free songs, but they haven't shown up anywhere except on the PS3, not in the game itself.
See them on the PS3?

So, you have a little bubble icon above the list of games?

If so, click on it and it will install it into the Rock Band game data.

EDIT:
Similar to this, only it won't show up as a game.

Last edited:
^Yup, you have to install them as Foolkiller said. It installs the data to the Rock Band 1 data file in game data, in case you ever need to delete it for whatever reason or you one to check up on the filespace its using.

Can't wait for Thursday, UP THE IRONS! :D

Duke, did you get it worked out?

And now for this week's DLC update

Guitar Hero World Tour
  • “Adrenalina” by Finley ($1.99) (£1.59/€1.99)
  • “Cadillac Solitario (Live)” by Loquillo y Trogloditas ($1.99) (£1.59/€1.99)
  • “The Bitter End” by Placebo ($1.99) (£1.59/€1.99)
  • European Track Pack 06 ($5.49) (£4.39/€5.99)

Rock Band
  • “Aces High (Live)” — Iron Maiden ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “2 Minutes to Midnight”— Iron Maiden ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Run to the Hills (Original Version)”— Iron Maiden ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Number of the Beast (Original Version)”— Iron Maiden ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “The Trooper”— Iron Maiden ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Can I Play with Madness”— Iron Maiden ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “The Clairvoyant”— Iron Maiden ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Wasted Years”— Iron Maiden ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Hallowed Be Thy Name (Live)”— Iron Maiden ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Powerslave”— Iron Maiden ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Fear of the Dark (Live)”— Iron Maiden ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Iron Maiden (Live)”— Iron Maiden ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • Iron Maiden Pack 01 ($19.99) (£0.99/€1.49)

Rock Band Unplugged (also available from PS3 storefront) - The EU blog doesn't have these listed.
  • “Constant Motion” — Dream Theater ($1.99)
  • “Sex Type Thing”— Stone Temple Pilots ($1.99)

Finally some songs I can sing :D
Playing them on guitar is hard work though! Playing the whole 12 at once tired me out! Still loads of fun and galloping :)

Best DLC I've bought for the game so far, even better than The Who or Boston.

6/16 and 6/19(PS3):

Rock Band

• "Bring Me to Life" - Evanescence
  • "Call Me When You’re Sober" - Evanescence
  • "Weight of the World" - Evanescence
  • "Back from the Dead" - Spinal Tap
  • "Rock ‘n’ Roll Nightmare" - Spinal Tap
  • "Saucy Jack" - Spinal Tap
  • "Warmer Than Hell" - Spinal Tap

This pack is gonna be brootal!!! :rolleyes:

6/16 and 6/19(PS3):

Rock Band

I'm not sold on new Spinal Tap. I wish it was their older stuff.

OK so I've searched the web and come up with so many differing answers that I just have to pose this question to people I trust to give me the correct info.

So guys, two questions (and of course we are talking PS3 here and PAL/EU if it makes a difference).

The GH3 Gibson controller, does it work with Rock Band (either the original or RB2)?

The Singstar Mics (I have both wired and wireless), do these work with GH:WT and Rock Band (either the original or RB2)?

Oh and a third quick question, whats the GH3 Gibson like with GH:WT, as I know it does differ slightly from the guitar that comes with GH:WT.

Hoping you guys can help, as a future purchase(s) will depend on me knowing the correct answer to the above, and obviously I would prefer info from those who have actually tried the above. The internet has already supplied me with enough 'I think it will' answers.

Thanks in advance

Scaff

OK so I've searched the web and come up with so many differing answers that I just have to pose this question to people I trust to give me the correct info.

So guys, two questions (and of course we are talking PS3 here and PAL/EU if it makes a difference).

The GH3 Gibson controller, does it work with Rock Band (either the original or RB2)?

The Singstar Mics (I have both wired and wireless), do these work with GH:WT and Rock Band (either the original or RB2)?

Yes and yes, at least with Rock Band for the 2nd question.

Though the GH3 guitar is horrible 👎 detachable necks were such a bad idea. The Rock Band controller gets a little getting used but is overall better quality and a better size. You also miss out on the "effects" function with other controllers.

Singstar mic's are fine - any microphone that plugs into the USB works and those should be decent quality too.

6/16 and 6/19(PS3):

Rock Band

They were never going to top last week's DLC. And if you didn't buy it, you really, really should.

Back