Rock Band/Guitar Hero - Discuss DLC, forming bands, and which is better.

• Thread starter FoolKiller
  • 340 comments
Just 2GB? That's just like one night. I have a 7GB Rock Band data file, 3 GB of which is RB1 songs exported, and all the rest is DLC.

I figured you would be more in a bind with GH DLC since you play it more.

Heh, IMO RB's song list isnt that great. Where GH has a better on disc song list and less interesting DLC. Plus GH Metalica is 30 great songs on disc. DLC isn't very prominent for GH as it is for RB. I dont have much DLC for GH as most is stuff i've never heard of. How many European track packs do they need, good grief.

as far as the 2GB I slowed down big time with the DLC mid last year. I was racking it up but lost interest in RB for a little while. RB2 is $35 now at game stop, the same price RB 1 was when i got it last year.

Did anyone buy Guitar Hero: Smash Hits yet? I kinda want it since I never played some of the songs in the first two games for the PS2 since I never bought them.

It's supposed to be a collection of the best songs in previous GHs. Of particular note is that any of the songs included that weren't master tracks will feature master tracks in this game. They also added Drums and Vocals to every song that doesn't have them. (Sorry if it was mentioned but I didn't want to go through all the pages).

Check a song list, a bunch come up on google search, if you like songs, then you'll like it. Gameplay is just like GH metallica and world tour

Smash hits well worth the purchase especially if you never played the first two games. As s bonus its full band play which wasn't possible on the first 3 games.

Harmonix announces Foreigner songs, forgets Foreigner.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/25/rock-band-weekly-foreigner-and-more-warped-tour/

Auto ****ing fail Harmonix. Epic DLC right here:

Are you complaining about the actual Foreigner tracks, or the fact that they listed Maroon 5 songs as Foreigner?

I don't get their newsletter, but this looks like either Harmonix or Joystiq were using an old notice update as a template and forgot to switch out the proper titles. I'm not sure who is at fault, but what is listed by Joystiq are definitely not any Foreigner songs.

And while "I Want to Know What Love Is" is an awesome song, ballads always seem more fitting for games like SingStar, in my opinion.

Joystiq made the mistake, the songs are:
"Feels Like the First Time"
"Headknocker"
"Blue Morning Blue Day"

This weeks DLC, late edition.

Guitar Hero World Tour
  • “Chalk Dust Torture (Live)” by Phish ($1.99) (£1.59/€1.99)
  • “Down With Disease (Live)” by Phish ($1.99) (£1.59/€1.99)
  • “Sample In A Jar (Live)” by Phish ($1.99) (£1.59/€1.99)
  • Phish Live Track Pack ($5.49) (£4.39/€5.99)

Rock Band
  • “Little of Your Time” — Maroon 5 ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Makes Me Wonder” — Maroon 5 ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Wake Up Call” — Maroon 5 ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Maroon 5 Pack 1 ($5.49) (£2.49/€3.99)
  • “21st Century (Digital Boy)” — Bad Religion ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “The Downfall of Us All” — A Day to Remember ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “The Flood” — Escape the Fate ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “I Didn’t Say I Was Powerful, I Said I Was a Wizard” — Chiodos ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Reinventing Your Exit” — Underoath ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • Warped Tour 2009 Pack 1 ($8.49) (£4.99/€7.99)
  • “Alive” — Pearl Jam ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Brother” — Pearl Jam ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “State of Love and Trust” — Pearl Jam ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49) (Not in EU?)
  • Pearl Jam “Ten” Bonus Pack ($5.49) (Not in EU?)

Rock Band Unplugged (also available from PS3 storefront)
  • “Afterlife” — Avenged Sevenfold ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Dr. Feelgood”— Motley Crue ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)

I want to get the bonus Pearl Jam songs but I'm being good and sticking by my promise to not buy any more Rock Band stuff till The Beatles comes out. I already have the DLC I was paying until I got, so I have no further reason to keep funding Harmonix' bank account. :lol:

So, today I got my first ever Rock Band promotional Diet Pepsi. It has a code that you enter in Pepsi's Web site, which you can log into using a Yahoo account, and then you get a point for each code. You can enter to win one of 5,000 songs given away daily.

I tried winning a 360 before they went on sale (glad I didn't win, a friend did and is on system number 7 now) and they didn't have 5,000 entries a day for that.

Anyway, I won a free song, which you must pick from a rather large list of songs. Some are as recent as Pearl Jam and the Stevie Ray Vaughn stuff. I think I saw the Styx songs on there too.

Anyway, just a heads up for anyone interested.

I also did a quick check of the rules and this is a US only promotion, so sorry to the non-US members. But for those in the US who would like to add some DLC to their game, but don't feel like spending money this is an option, particularly if you are drinking Pepsi branded sodas (not Mt. Dew) anyway.

If you log in to http://pepsi.yahoo.com you can view the list of songs under prize details.

I tend to prefer Coke products, but I can switch to Pepsi for the next couple of months.

None of the promotions are ever outside the US. 👎 Even some of the songs that are free to download in the US are not in Europe (e.g. Charlene).

Isn't the contest poorly executed? I remember seeing some complaints on the Rock Band forums about some people winning a free song but only for the 360, when they happened to own a PS3.

Isn't the contest poorly executed? I remember seeing some complaints on the Rock Band forums about some people winning a free song but only for the 360, when they happened to own a PS3.
When you choose your song the top of the screen has an option to select which system you have. Must be 360, PS3, or Wii. You have to select which you want.

But looking at the site I can see how it gets confusing, because it has the 360 selected by default and the background makes it hard to see that it is buttons, not just a banner.

Ardius, complain to Pepsi on this one. It's their contest. I am guessing they are paying EA/MTV/Harmonix for the songs.

Why oh why on earth would Ea/MTV/Harmonix choose one of my least favorite songs from my favorite band. I was dreaming of them to be in the game but of course they dont choose the best 3-4 songs on that album.

The Black Dahlia Murder...Grrrr.

But then they did choose a fantastic Slayer song ;)

Also, next week's DLC....mmmmm, more Judas Priest yummy, and live tracks too. Might have to break my promise not to buy more DLC lol.

Speaking of:

DLC for this week:

Guitar Hero World Tour
  • “I Am The Arsonist” by Silverstein ($1.99) (£1.59/€1.99)
  • “Bomb The World” by The Sleeping ($1.99) (£1.59/€1.99)
  • “NJ Legion Iced Tea” by A Day To Remember ($1.99) (£1.59/€1.99)
  • Victory Track Pack ($5.49) (£4.39/€5.99)

Rock Band
  • “21 Guns”— Green Day ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “East Jesus Nowhere”— Green Day ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Know Your Enemy”— Green Day ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • Green Day Pack 01 ($5.49) (£2.49/€3.99)
  • “Black Magic”— Slayer ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Conquer All”— Behemoth ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Disposable Teens”— Marilyn Manson ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Embedded”— Job for a Cowboy ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Empire of the Gun”— God Forbid ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Hammer Smashed Face”— Cannibal Corpse ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “This Is Exile”— Whitechapel ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse”— Black Dahlia Murder ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • Mayhem Tour 2009 Pack 01 ($13.49) (EU???)
  • Ten Bonus Pack by Pearl Jam (£2.49/€3.99) (US already has it)

Rock Band Unplugged “Here Comes Your Man”— Pixies ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
“Pride and Joy”— Stevie Ray Vaughn ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
“Still Alive”— GLaDOS and Jonathan Coulton (free) (not EU?)

Enjoying the Green Day pack:D East Jesus Nowhere and 21 guns are 2 of my faves from the new album.

Also, needed to buy some new drums yesterday so I went out and came across these in a game shop.
portable_drum_kit.jpg

Official rock band portable drum kit, picked it up for £30. IT is actually very good, I had my reservations about it, but its more responsive, quieter, nicer to look at and of course more practical than the standard drums. The sticks are rubber tipped, the drums are the kinda silenced pad material and the foot pedal is much niceer and sturdier to use though it doesnt look like much of a pedal in the pic. If you need a new drum set though, this is the one, very good indeed.

Apart from that bit that starts at the ~57, 58 second mark, that song doesn't seem so hard with a bitchin' double pedal like that guy has. There are a lot of rolls though.

DLC Update, brought you by the world's coolest bird.

Guitar Hero World Tour
  • “All the World is Mad” – Thrice ($1.99) (£1.59/€1.99)
  • The Martyr – Senses Fail ($1.99) (£1.59/€1.99)
  • Young Cardinal – Alexisonfire ($1.99) (£1.59/€1.99)
  • Vagrant Records Track Pack ($5.49) (£4.39/€5.99)

Rock Band
  • “Crawl” – Kings of Leon ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Molly’s Chambers” – Kings of Leon ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Sex on Fire” – Kings of Leon ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • Kings of Leon Pack 01 ($5.49) (£2.49/€3.99)
  • “Last One to Die” – Rancid ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Time Bomb” – Rancid ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Ruby SoHo” – Rancid ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • Rancid Track Pack 01 ($5.49) (£2.49/€3.99)
  • “Prayer of the Refugee” – Rise Against ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Re-Education (Through Labor)” – Rise Against ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Savior” – Rise Against ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • Rise Against Track Pack 01 ($5.49) (£2.49/€3.99)
  • “Sweetness and Light” – Lush ($1.99) (£???/€???)

Rock Band Unplugged (also available from PS3 storefront)
  • “The Boys are Back in Town” – Thin Lizzy** ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Casey Jones” – Grateful Dead ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)

Thanks for the update, FK. 👍

Speaking of hard drum songs, although not all that ridiculous, i just started being able to play these songs on expert:

(Metal warning)

This one i can do about 91% on:

And this one about 95%:

When are we gonna play together y'all? I need to get some use out of my DLC, and all my friends are out of town. :indiff:

Hey i remember playing that song with you last year. It was fun. I still play RB every now and then and I am trying to beat Trasher with the GTWT guitar. Its hard :). My fingers get sweaty and i lose on the second solo.

DLC Update
kiss.jpg

Guitar Hero World Tour
  • ”Bloodmeat” by Protest the Hero ($1.99) (£1.59/€1.99)
  • ”I’m Shipping up to Boston” by Dropkick Murphys ($1.99) (£1.59/€1.99)
  • ”New Wave” by Against Me! ($1.99) (£1.59/€1.99)
  • Knuckle Sandwich Track Pack ($5.49) (£4.39/€5.99)

Rock Band
  • “100,000 Years (Live)”— KISS ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Deuce (Live)”— KISS ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Parasite (Live)”— KISS ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • KISS Pack 01 ($5.49) (£2.49/€3.99)
  • “Down”— Blink 182 ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Feeling This”— Blink 182 ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “The Rock Show”— Blink 182 ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • Blink 182 Pack 01 ($5.49) (£2.49/€3.99)
  • “My Name Is Jonas”— Weezer ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Pork and Beans”— Weezer ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Undone – The Sweater Song”— Weezer ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • Weezer Pack 02 – ($5.49) (£2.49/€3.99)
  • “Out Here All Night”— Damone ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)

Rock Band Unplugged
  • “Funk #49″— James Gang ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Smooth Criminal”— Alien Ant Farm ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)

Biased. Rock Band is also bringing down Viacom with lower than expected sales and the over abundance of song licenses not helping them turn profits. The game continues to lose the company money . Thats why they cant afford free song downloads like the competition. Activision must have a business priority rather than consumer one. Save your franchise not make 5 games worth of songs in dlc. Its not Harmonix's fault, they've done a good thing with the game. blame the persons signing the checks
Source Viacom http://www.smartmoney.com/news/ON/?story=ON-20090731-000807-1400

Anyway so i havent played my drum in months I still had a blast but i have to get my rythm back. The center blue is still tricky. Also the FREE theme song for Smash Hits clearly is the new Jordan. Its very simliar and very hard. I cant pass it, even the tap sections are hard.

I think there might be a couple of factors playing into the poor sales for Rock Band lately.

The one thats show bad decision making is the poor support they have shown Australia. I am still not sure they even have Rock Band. I know when World Tour came out Australia didn't have it yet. At this point, even if they did release it they would have poor sales there because the entire market is already on the Guitar Hero band wagon.

The second is that they aren't selling physical games non-stop. Activision does that for a reason. Similarly though, I am betting that Criterion Games didn't make as much profit from the great support they gave Burnout, but they now have a loyal following. I have to wonder what Harmonix/MTV's long-term plans are.

And finally, even in this thread we hear people holding off on buying new instruments until The Beatles: Rock Band comes out. The moment that announcement was made I am sure some people held off on sales. LEGO Rock Band likely had a similar effect for family buyers, but I doubt it is as great.

I should also mention that last week I got Guitar Hero World Tour in from Gamefly and am working my way through the career mode. So my experience is now more than just a handful of songs at a friend's house on a guitar I am not comfortable with. Currently I am enjoying the faster pace that it moves at for Medium difficulty. But I am not a fan of the aesthetics and design.

To explain: I prefer Rock Band's clean approach without duels and lightning effects from Star Power. In the career mode I am also finding the 6-7 song setlists as I get farther in to be grueling. It seems that my choices are to do that or go do another mode. It isn't a problem, except when I want to go to bed in 20 minutes I can't start a new set.

Those are all personal preferences. At first I was also disturbed by the lower quality animations, but I quickly ignored those once I got into the game.

Had I rented this when Rock Band came out (blame Activision for delaying a disc-only PS3 title, not me) I would have purchased it just for the extra songs, but Rock Band's DLC has filled in a lot of the gaps. At this point it would not be worth it for the few songs left. That said, the mostly pleasant experience does have me looking at Smash Hits with a more positive light.

I also bought Rock Band Unplugged. It is pretty fun, but there is a definite learning curve. You have to be quick to keep up with the instrument switching. What it lost in the lack of peripherals it made up for in a more strategy oriented gameplay.

It is not Rock Band, but they kept the look and career layout. Otherwise this is a rhythm strategy game that requires you to be quick and alert.

This may be a shocker but I do not plan on getting Guitar Hero 5. no time soon. Now I can wait until the price drop next year and keep enjoying WT and Metallica. When RB 2 is down to less than $30 I may pick it up.

Things I like about GTWT is the tap secetions and hyper speed options. They add to to gameplay. But you not being an expert player those two features aren't a real factor. Have you tried the open base? I've only tried it once on War Ensemble and its crazy fast.

Back