Rock Band/Guitar Hero - Discuss DLC, forming bands, and which is better.

• Thread starter FoolKiller
  • 340 comments
Have you tried the open base? I've only tried it once on War Ensemble and its crazy fast.
The only stuff I have devoted time and effort to was creating my own rocker and playing through the career mode sets so that I can unlock all the songs without using a cheat code.

Good news for (new) Pearl Jam fans:
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/02/pearl-jams-next-album-simulatenously-arrives-at-retail-in-rock/

Billboard spoke with the band and confirmed that their next album, titled "Backspacer," will be "available on Rock Band the day it comes out." Additionally, Target will be getting its own version of the album that will come with a code to download various PJ songs in Rock Band -- a tactic that the group's employed in the past. "Backspacer" hits stores and XBLM/PSN on September 20.

Unfortunately, I haven't enjoyed Pearl Jam much since they went out on some weird personal growth trip and each teamed up with different musicians to broaden their musical scope. I feel like they lost their edge and I haven't really enjoyed their music much. I try each new album out, but none of them have had the same feel as Ten and VS for me.

And as usual, I will not buy new music as DLC in Rock Band, just to risk finding out I don't like it. It is cool that they do it and all, but I haven't just grabbed up a new album based on the band's name in over ten years.

They are saying no Rock Band 3 for a while. Why? They make a new Guitar Hero each year, but why not Rock Band?

They are saying no Rock Band 3 for a while. Why? They make a new Guitar Hero each year, but why not Rock Band?
You have 3 Rock Band titles coming out this year (maybe two depending on how you look at it). Rock Band Unplugged (for PSP), The Beatles: Rock Band, and LEGO Rock Band.

Plus, their business plan is for Rock Band to be a platform. They release a minimum of 3 songs (closer to 7 or 8 on average) as DLC every week, so you can keep your Rock Band game fresher than if you just got a new title multiple times a year.

Plus, what, besides new tracks does each Guitar Hero game add? They cost you $60 for a list of new songs that you may or may not like. Rock Band's plan is to offer you the ability to pay for what you like and not bother with what you don't.

You have 3 Rock Band titles coming out this year (maybe two depending on how you look at it). Rock Band Unplugged (for PSP), The Beatles: Rock Band, and LEGO Rock Band.

Plus, their business plan is for Rock Band to be a platform. They release a minimum of 3 songs (closer to 7 or 8 on average) as DLC every week, so you can keep your Rock Band game fresher than if you just got a new title multiple times a year.

Plus, what, besides new tracks does each Guitar Hero game add? They cost you $60 for a list of new songs that you may or may not like. Rock Band's plan is to offer you the ability to pay for what you like and not bother with what you don't.

I completely forgot about those!

The best part about Guitar Hero 1,2,3 was the disc based game could open you up to music you never would have ever heard. To me that was the best part about discovering music. I never would have gotten in to bands like Lamb of God, Bang Camaro, Iron Maiden, Dragon Force and many many others. I like Steely Dan now as well.

Too many people forget that these rhythm based games are not sound tracks. Its still a game. Its about playing not listening. Another good example is Willy Nelson's on the road again. I dont care for it and I wouldn't buy it if it were DLC, But because its included I played and I enjoyed it on both guitar and drums. When a person gets sour over a track list they are missing the point of the game. EA has their annually games and no one complains. They are games regardless of type.

Rock band one imo has 70% uninteresting songs from what I played. As an Expert player I've experienced more of the game than those who dont play expert. Expert is the way the songs were meant to be played as close to the real song as possible. Anything less than hard is not really fun. I fell victim to the "I've never heard of them" problem. Too many songs I don't trust I would like. If guitar is too easy I wouldn't bother with the unknown song.

Plus, what, besides new tracks does each Guitar Hero game add?
Drums, Bass, and Vocals was a major addition last year. They also added new game play elements. GH5 is adding many useful new features. The point you are making also applies to Rockband 1 and 2. GH is one year behind. At the core RB2 is RB1 with 80+ more songs.

The best part about Guitar Hero 1,2,3 was the disc based game could open you up to music you never would have ever heard. To me that was the best part about discovering music. I never would have gotten in to bands like Lamb of God, Bang Camaro, Iron Maiden, Dragon Force and many many others. I like Steely Dan now as well.
I agree with this, which is why whenever new DLC that I haven't heard before comes out I check out the gameplay videos on You Tube to see if they are either enjoyable songs or fun to play. I can honestly say that I would have never given Paramore a second's thought as anything other than a more pop version of Evanescence, but after playing Crush Crush Crush at a friend's house I realize their songs are very fun to play and have since looked forward to their inclusion in games. The game also introduced me to Jonathan Coulton. Previously I had heard some of his stuff on podcasts and whatnot but hadn't given him any serious attention. After Still Alive and Skullcrusher Mountain (bought purely for its charity PAX fundraiser association) though I have since gone to his site and downloaded all the music he offers for free.

On the other hand is Lacuna Coil. I had heard them used in as the intro music to a podcast novel and got that song as they offered it free in the Podsafe Music Network. When they came up as DLC I immediately bought the pack and have enjoyed them thoroughly. I was also happy to see they were included in Rock Band 2.

But I will say that to me the best stuff is still the classic rock. Boston, Rush, The Who, etc get much more play from me than anything else.

When a person gets sour over a track list they are missing the point of the game.
I'm not sour over a track list, I just prefer having one disc to play all my nearly 400 songs. I can also say that I would never have willing included Maps in the game. Similarly, most of the country music available as DLC is crappy music. Even my country loving wife has little interest in the songs available. I got some of the Toby Keith for her, but that was it.

EA has their annually games and no one complains. They are games regardless of type.
:confused: Do you really want me to go on my Madden tirade? I buy one sports title perhaps every three or four years because of EA Sports' meaningless annual add-ons. I am of the opinion that EA Sports' exclusive contract with the NFL has killed the NFL video game.

That said, this generation of consoles EA has been attempting to remedy its reputation by allowing Harmonix and MTV to control most of the Rock Band direction, putting out new IPs like Dead Space and Mirror's Edge, and allowing Criterion to fully lead its own direction with free DLC for Burnout. And I can't forget to mention giving the previously assumed dead Brutal Legend life to continue on with Tim Schafer's own plan. In that same time period Activision's CEO, Bobby Kotick, has openly stated that they are only interested in franchises which they can exploit (his words) with annual releases.

I fell victim to the "I've never heard of them" problem. Too many songs I don't trust I would like. If guitar is too easy I wouldn't bother with the unknown song.
So, what happened from GH 1, 2, and 3 to now? And as the games have become more band based having some songs that don't focus purely on guitar is a good thing. It is the only reason I even picked up Rock Band. If not for the drums I just wouldn't have bothered. I am still hoping to get In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and Radar Love for their awesome drum solos. Good songs for singing also tend to bring the women in to it more when my friends get together.

Drums, Bass, and Vocals was a major addition last year.
I was only talking about World Tour on, as before then I considered them to be two different types of games.

They also added new game play elements. GH5 is adding many useful new features. The point you are making also applies to Rockband 1 and 2. GH is one year behind. At the core RB2 is RB1 with 80+ more songs.
Yes, it does apply to RB 1 and 2. There is a reason why I waited over 6 months to buy RB2.

About the "I've never heard of them" problem that only applies to DLC on both games. We seem to have the same reasons for not getting the newest version so soon. I haven't had that much gaming time if you noticed :). lvl7. I dont plan on getting smash hit also until its dirt cheap.

About the "I've never heard of them" problem that only applies to DLC on both games. We seem to have the same reasons for not getting the newest version so soon. I haven't had that much gaming time if you noticed :). lvl7. I dont plan on getting smash hit also until its dirt cheap.
And I think that you hit the problem with full games. Price. At $60 it isn't worth it just for a track list of songs you may or may not want with some gameplay changes that don't exactly revolutionize the gameplay. Similar to the Madden situation, I had no problems buying a new football game every year when 2K Sports was putting them out for $20-$30.

OMG I finally beat the Theme song for GH on tour Modern Hts. with an 80%. Thank god for the tapping sections. Very hard song.

edit, Still cant beat the day the never comes.

Last edited:
DLC Update brought to you by misplaced in-game advertising.

photo0180i.jpg

Guitar Hero World Tour
  • “Camel’s Night Out” by Eric Johnson ($1.99) (£1.59/€1.99)

Rock Band
  • “America”— Spinal Tap ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Big Bottom”— Spinal Tap ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Cups and Cakes”— Spinal Tap ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “(Funky) Sex Farm”— Spinal Tap ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Gimme Some Money”— Spinal Tap ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Heavy Duty”— Spinal Tap ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Hell Hole”— Spinal Tap ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “(Listen to the) Flower People (Reggae Stylee)”— Spinal Tap ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Rock ‘n’ Roll Creation”— Spinal Tap ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Stonehenge”— Spinal Tap ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Tonight I’m Gonna Rock You Tonight”— Spinal Tap ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • Spinal Tap’s TAP TEN – ($17.99) (£9.19/€11.25)

Rock Band Unplugged
  • “Had a Dad”— Jane’s Addiction ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Renegade”— Styx ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)

Bit off topic but, do PS2 Singstar mics/PS2 Guitar Hero guitars work with the PS3?
If I am correct, the guitars did not use USB on the PS2, so the only possible way they will work on PS3 is with a PS2 controller adapter, but even then I don't know. Someone else may be able to help with that.

If the SingStar mics use a similar USB adapter to the one that came with the PS3 then I would think so. I do know that if you put a PS2 SingStar game into a backward compatible PS3 it will recognize the PS3 mics.

If I am correct, the guitars did not use USB on the PS2, so the only possible way they will work on PS3 is with a PS2 controller adapter, but even then I don't know. Someone else may be able to help with that.

If the SingStar mics use a similar USB adapter to the one that came with the PS3 then I would think so. I do know that if you put a PS2 SingStar game into a backward compatible PS3 it will recognize the PS3 mics.

Would like to get a PS3 at Christmas and with the PS3 Slim coming out it would be a big selling point for me if it was backwards compatable(unlikely). I have far too many Singstar and Guitar Hero games for the PS2 to get rid of the console

Last edited:
Would like to get a PS3 at Christmas and with the PS3 Slim coming out it would be a big selling point for me if it was backwards compatable(unlikely). I have far too many Singstar and Guitar Hero games for the PS2 to get rid of the console
While Guitar Hero will be an issue you have no worries for SingStar. Any of the SingStar titles for the PS3 will allow non-compatible PS3 units to play PS2 discs by swapping them out at the song selection menu. You hit the Select button and then it asks you to put in the next SingStar disc. You eject your PS3 SingStar disc and pop in whatever other SingStar title (PS3 or PS2) you want. It loads it up and then the songs from that disc are available to be selected.

It also takes the SD videos from the PS2 disc and upscales them to HD (if you have it), removing the letterboxing bars from the top and bottom of the screen. Oh, and they also have voice activated controls on the PS3 (free download from the SingStore) so that you can put the controller down and forget it once you start playing.

The only limits on disc swapping is that if you record videos, audio, or take pictures with the PS3 Eye you cannot upload any of the ones made from the PS2 games to the online SingStar community. There are more details on this and other stuff in the SingStar thread.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=107125

But for Guitar Hero you might want to check out the song list for Guitar Hero: Smash Hits. It is just a new title taking all the most popular songs (according to Activision) from past games and putting them into one game. If it makes up a significant portion of your favorite songs it may be worth selling your PS2 stuff and upgrading. But that's purely your opinion on that one.

While Guitar Hero will be an issue you have no worries for SingStar. Any of the SingStar titles for the PS3 will allow non-compatible PS3 units to play PS2 discs by swapping them out at the song selection menu. You hit the Select button and then it asks you to put in the next SingStar disc. You eject your PS3 SingStar disc and pop in whatever other SingStar title (PS3 or PS2) you want. It loads it up and then the songs from that disc are available to be selected.

It also takes the SD videos from the PS2 disc and upscales them to HD (if you have it), removing the letterboxing bars from the top and bottom of the screen. Oh, and they also have voice activated controls on the PS3 (free download from the SingStore) so that you can put the controller down and forget it once you start playing.

The only limits on disc swapping is that if you record videos, audio, or take pictures with the PS3 Eye you cannot upload any of the ones made from the PS2 games to the online SingStar community. There are more details on this and other stuff in the SingStar thread.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=107125

But for Guitar Hero you might want to check out the song list for Guitar Hero: Smash Hits. It is just a new title taking all the most popular songs (according to Activision) from past games and putting them into one game. If it makes up a significant portion of your favorite songs it may be worth selling your PS2 stuff and upgrading. But that's purely your opinion on that one.

Long story short: Singstar games(PS2) work and mics might providing USB is correct
Guitar Hero - Activision are milking the franchise. :sly:
For Christmas, I'm getting PS3 and my sister might be getting Rock Band "Band in a box" :cheers:

Last edited:

Too many people forget that these rhythm based games are not sound tracks. Its still a game. Its about playing not listening. Another good example is Willy Nelson's on the road again. I dont care for it and I wouldn't buy it if it were DLC, But because its included I played and I enjoyed it on both guitar and drums. When a person gets sour over a track list they are missing the point of the game. EA has their annually games and no one complains. They are games regardless of type.

Rock band one imo has 70% uninteresting songs from what I played. As an Expert player I've experienced more of the game than those who dont play expert. Expert is the way the songs were meant to be played as close to the real song as possible. Anything less than hard is not really fun. I fell victim to the "I've never heard of them" problem. Too many songs I don't trust I would like. If guitar is too easy I wouldn't bother with the unknown song.

Drums, Bass, and Vocals was a major addition last year. They also added new game play elements. GH5 is adding many useful new features. The point you are making also applies to Rockband 1 and 2. GH is one year behind. At the core RB2 is RB1 with 80+ more songs.

Hmm, your first paragraph is irrelevant as it applies to both games anyway.

About "its not just listening, its playing". I guess you're trying to argue here that we should have songs that are hard to play and not just good to listen to? Well, the problem is define "fun" and "difficult". Ok, then go and compare those definitions with other people, I think you will find people enjoy different music and different degrees of difficulty, and its not just as simple as switching from hard to easy - people do want to progress to harder difficulties but at their own pace while at the same time enjoying the experience. Not everyone is playing for a score either, I personally play because I enjoy being able to turn on a game and play a song and have a little bit of immersion and not be thrown into some annoying sweaty solo every 5 minutes but also have the option too if I feel like it.
The EA jab is a little ironic seeing as Activision has lately overtaken EA in being the "evil corporation" and seem to be attempting to outdo even Acclaim. I am no fan of EA (read my many rants somewhere on this forum) but lately they've improved their image.

Rock Band 1 has 70% uninteresting songs? Wow, no offense but thats some pretty limited taste you have. There hasn't been a game yet where I've found less than 90% of the setlist interesting or at least known and enjoyed the songs - I include Guitar Hero's in that statement too. Maybe you should just play through RB1 just to educate your ears?
Quite clearly, you play these games for the challenge, and Rock Band isn't catering for purely that. Harmonix do provide very hard songs as DLC (and a couple on disc) but they are attempting to cater for people who enjoy music rather than just a challenge. Their aim as a games company was always to help improve people's music palette and introduce new music to people - they've stated this many times.

Guitar Hero adding new elements of gameplay? Eh, so does Rock Band...or rather Harmonix. But then everyone technically ripped off Konami originally.

Perhaps its different for me though, as I've always been quite open to varying types of music and I already knew a lot of the bands featured in the games (though I have been introduced to a great many because of them too). But to say you found 70% of RB1's artists "uninteresting" is quite shocking to me....I mean...The Police, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Sweet, David Bowie, Deep Purple, Boston, The Who, Kiss, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, and so on are not interesting? What is then?

Well, I finally sent Guitar Hero: World Tour back. I completed the career mode on guitar and unlocked all the songs. I enjoyed it, but in post DLC Rock Band state I did not find enough new songs I wanted to justify the price, particularly after I grabbed about 30 free RB songs from the Pepsi promotion.

But that wasn't the death blow, because I was still considering it as I could get it for under $20 with Gamefly's membership bonuses. But once all songs were unlocked I decided to try singing.

Before I get into this, I want to explain that I enjoy the full band experience, which may be why I never got into these games until Rock Band came out. Singing is a guilty pleasure for me. I can not sing, but I find it fun. I did karaoke in college and I own SingStar.

What I found was a broken system. Not broken, in that it didn't work, but broken in that it was poorly done. Every other singing game has stuck to a familiar concept. They feel exactly like karaoke. Rock Band added in a few things to blend it into the game well, but on its surface it is just karaoke. In Rock Band overdrive is activated via a voice command. Guitar solos have you keep beat by tapping the microphone for a tambourine effect. Neither are required in a way that will affect your crowd meter if you don't do them. But they are seamlessly added to the game.

World Tour had a poorly implemented system. Star Power required hitting the X button on the controller. Why? And Star Power was gained without special notes. You just earned it for every properly done phrase. Then they added these free style zones that are used to increase your score by having you do whatever in a similar pitch to the song. All it serves to do is annoy your bandmates. Freestyle in Rock Band is used to activate overdrive, meaning that you just say one "Whoo!" or "rock on!" or as I do, <cough> and you are done. Minimal interference with others. World Tour's scoring is also odd. Two phrases I will be in the pitch line, or close to it, but one counts and the other doesn't. I could not tell why one didn't grant me a score while the other did. And this is not a case of the odd, don't be inside it, red line.

Singing is, for the most part broken. It can be done, but don't rely on your singer to help your band in any meaningful way.

And for me, that killed the game. I didn't like it and my wife didn't like it. Later I checked with a few of my friends who enjoy singing in Rock Band and SingStar and they all agreed with us.

I also refuse to make a full judgment on drums since I don't have the native peripheral. I know plenty that enjoy it and I won't judge it until I can test it out on GH set.

A little too defensive ardius. There is nothing wrong with the songs in Rock Band 1. Its that its mostly too easy for me playing "alone" on guitar. What I played 95% of time last summer. I dont need to educate my ears because playing the game i use my eyes more than my ears to line up lines to match strums. Also I'm only referring to the 65 tracks that ship with the game. You are right and I knew it when they released the original setlist they cater to a wider array of players and left what made the first 2 games what they are in the past(goes for Activision) I never said the artist's are uninteresting. its like you want to get worked up with out reading into what I typed, calm down.

Last thing I do not speak for anyone but myself and I do not need self help lessons from you. You dont like my opinion thats fine but dont insult me for not being like you. Foolkillers and Giancarlo's "grown up" opinions are more what I expect. Remember we can have our opinions.

Foolkiller its well known that vocals are poorly done in WT. improved in the newer games.

Picco84 there is a nice amount of DLC but most of its is unknown to me so i leave it alone.

They could make a Led Zeppelin rock band or guitar hero!
The singing would probably be hard.

They could make a Led Zeppelin rock band or guitar hero!
The singing would probably be hard.
They won't allow it. Jimmy Page said that no-one should be able to play drums like Bonzo, especially on Christmas morning!

His main issue was that he did not feel comfortable handing over master recordings to a software company.

I really hope he does come around. A Led Zeppelin only game would sell like hotcakes, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it, no matter who made it.

A little too defensive ardius. There is nothing wrong with the songs in Rock Band 1. Its that its mostly too easy for me playing "alone" on guitar. What I played 95% of time last summer. I dont need to educate my ears because playing the game i use my eyes more than my ears to line up lines to match strums. Also I'm only referring to the 65 tracks that ship with the game. You are right and I knew it when they released the original setlist they cater to a wider array of players and left what made the first 2 games what they are in the past(goes for Activision) I never said the artist's are uninteresting. its like you want to get worked up with out reading into what I typed, calm down.

Last thing I do not speak for anyone but myself and I do not need self help lessons from you. You dont like my opinion thats fine but dont insult me for not being like you. Foolkillers and Giancarlo's "grown up" opinions are more what I expect. Remember we can have our opinions.

Foolkiller its well known that vocals are poorly done in WT. improved in the newer games.

Picco84 there is a nice amount of DLC but most of its is unknown to me so i leave it alone.

Just as much as I don't need to be personal, neither do you :P What isn't "grown-up" about my opinions? Thats quite an interesting sentence actually, what is a "grown-up opinion"?

Anyway, I feel reading what you said that you let the fact you don't know the artists/songs involved get in the way of perhaps enjoying more of the game. If I'm wrong then I take it back, but thats the impression I get. A large part of enjoying these games is knowing the music or enjoying the music - not just enjoying the physical gameplay aspect. At least in my opinion.

Has to be Guitar Hero. The instruments for me are more 'solid' and tougher than Rock Band, i.e. the drums feels hard enough in Guitar Hero, where as in Rock Band they feel rather fragile.

Just as much as I don't need to be personal, neither do you :P What isn't "grown-up" about my opinions? Thats quite an interesting sentence actually, what is a "grown-up opinion"?

Anyway, I feel reading what you said that you let the fact you don't know the artists/songs involved get in the way of perhaps enjoying more of the game. If I'm wrong then I take it back, but thats the impression I get. A large part of enjoying these games is knowing the music or enjoying the music - not just enjoying the physical gameplay aspect. At least in my opinion.

You could be a little nicer :(. your opinion is an opinion on me which is also judging. I'm 30, I know much about music and hit songs, you are coming down on me as if i am ignorant and close minded to music. I care less about the band and more about if the song is enjoyable to play "alone" I never said anything bad about the artists or their songs. The big name bands are great, nothing wrong there. Its just playing most of them in the game(RB1 on disc setlist) alone doesn't do the guitar much justice and i don't really want to play them again.

It seems GH5 will have song importing from GTWT and Smash hits. They did not mention Metallica(best activison GH game).

Has to be Guitar Hero. The instruments for me are more 'solid' and tougher than Rock Band, i.e. the drums feels hard enough in Guitar Hero, where as in Rock Band they feel rather fragile.

I agree, they are more solid. The guitar is also better for expert players like myself. anything less than expert then it doesn't matter.

A Led Zeppelin only game would sell like hotcakes, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it, no matter who made it.

Even if the makers of Rock Revolution made it? For me it would sit on the self with the Beatles Rock band game.

I disagree about the instruments, but I believe there is a certain amount of personal preference. Among my friends the preference for guitars is split 50/50. Since we all already have RB drums none of us has coughed up the extra cash for GH drums.

Even if the makers of Rock Revolution made it? For me it would sit on the self with the Beatles Rock band game.
If Konami made it we would at least be able to get it for $5 soon.

But Led Zeppelin is, in my opinion, the greatest rock band ever. It would be worth every penny for me, assuming the gameplay wasn't botched. But if its core gameplay met with GH or Rock Band it would be a definite hit in my home. I would, however, prefer the career mode to be more like Rock Band (having not checked out the GH titles beyond WT at this point that is).

I find it more difficult to hit the complex solos and notes with the Rockband guitar. the strum is terrible for alternate strumming those 16th notes. Its too soft. But as I said below expert the Rockband guitar is fine.

You could be a little nicer :(. your opinion is an opinion on me which is also judging. I'm 30, I know much about music and hit songs, you are coming down on me as if i am ignorant and close minded to music. I care less about the band and more about if the song is enjoyable to play "alone" I never said anything bad about the artists or their songs. The big name bands are great, nothing wrong there. Its just playing most of them in the game(RB1 on disc setlist) alone doesn't do the guitar much justice and i don't really want to play them again.

Ok, you're right I am being a bit harsh, but still, you could have worded your posts better not to make it seem you were bashing the music itself. Sorry about that. :)

And I believe the RB1 setlist was largely designed to be easy music to introduce people to the series, with RB2 having more harder songs (and more songs in general) and the DLC to take care of any specific wants from players (e.g. hard songs on guitar, drums, bass, vocals or all of them at once...easy songs, blues songs, country songs, etc etc etc).

Anyway, The Beatles Rock Band is looking better and better:

Back