Rock Band/Guitar Hero - Discuss DLC, forming bands, and which is better.

• Thread starter FoolKiller
  • 340 comments
I find it more difficult to hit the complex solos and notes with the Rockband guitar. the strum is terrible for alternate strumming those 16th notes. Its too soft. But as I said below expert the Rockband guitar is fine.
For GH (WT and later)I can agree, as their solos are designed to use the slider/tap thing, but the Rock Band solos allow you to just tap, without strumming, on the high fret buttons. I also use those for the big rock endings because I can just tap away and rack up tens of thousands in bonus points.

I assume you have heard of Them Crooked Vultures. They will be amazing!
Combined band groups can be awesome (Temple of the Dog) or a disaster (Coverdale/Page).

I reserve all judgments until their official music comes out. But I must say that I have yet to dislike a single thing that Dave Grohl has been involved in.

Last edited:
DLC Update

3811524527_29b8c6e229.jpg

Guitar Hero World Tour
  • Activision Music Track Pack (free)

Rock Band
  • “Clint Eastwood”— Gorillaz ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Feel Good Inc.”— Gorillaz ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Re-Hash”— Gorillaz ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • Gorillaz Pack 01 ($5.49) (£2.49/€2.99)
  • “Piece of My Heart”— Janis Joplin ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Chest Fever (Live)”— The Band ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Magic Bus (Live at Leeds)”— The Who ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “White Rabbit”— Jefferson Airplane ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)

Rock Band Unplugged (also available from PS3 storefront)
  • “The Number of the Beast”— Iron Maiden ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “The Trooper”— Iron Maiden ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)

Combined band groups can be awesome (Temple of the Dog) or a disaster (Coverdale/Page).

I reserve all judgments until their official music comes out. But I must say that I have yet to dislike a single thing that Dave Grohl has been involved in.

Off topic, but agreed the ultimate example of a disaster is Velvet Revolver - who thought combining two fairly awesome bands would turn out so bad?
On the other hand, I love Chickenfoot, but then I've generally liked most things Sammy Hagar does.

DLC Update
Foolkiller relives his awesome music days edition.

Enjoy the tune while you read the post.

Guitar Hero World Tour
  • “Dueling Banjos” by Steve Ouimette ($1.99) (£1.59/€1.99)

Rock Band
  • “I’ll Stick Around”— Foo Fighters ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Lonely As You”— Foo Fighters ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “All My Life”— Foo Fighters ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • Foo Fighters Pack 02 ($5.49) (£2.49/€2.99)
  • “There’s No Other Way” — Blur ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “No Rain” — Blind Melon ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “Inside Out” — Eve 6 ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “I’m Shipping up to Boston” — Dropkick Murphy ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “I Predict a Riot” — Kaiser Chiefs ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)

Rock Band Unplugged
  • “Heartbreaker” — Pat Benatar ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)
  • “A Favor House Atlantic” — Coheed and Cambria ($1.99) (£0.99/€1.49)

I would like to thank Harmonix for reminding me why I have a large stack of CDs from the 90s and early 00s.

Not only that but a Queen 10 pack has been confirmed.....

Why oh why does my PS3 have to break now? I probably won't get a new one now till Christmas methinks.

My girlfriend just sent me a text message that she has picked up Guitar Hero. I guess I will be trying the game for the first time tonight. I’ve never really been attracted to the game but she said she used to rock the house. It wouldn’t be me unless I get on the boat late.

My concert review to be written within the coming days.

I get home to find that she has picked up the Aerosmith Guitar Hero which even she admitted was not a fan of but for a deal of $40 with guitar she couldn’t pass it up.

My first impression was…”why is this fun”. Challenging, for certain…but I didn’t get it. I soon realized part of the problem was playing songs I’d never heard of or ones I never liked to begin with. As I got further along in the game I played songs that I could recognize and easily pick up the rhythm on. That made the game much more entertaining.

As I scroll through the PSN store I don’t see add ons for the Aerosmith version that I have. Would it be true that I can’t download any additional songs or do I need to pick up World Tour?

I'm sorry that i can't tell you if Guitar Hero DLC will work for Aerosmith, i'm not sure. But i'm guessing anything from World Tour would not work, because it came out after Aerosmith did. Any DLC for Guitar Hero 5 i'm certain will not work for any of the other games, however.

It looks like Guitar Hero:World Tour DLC will only work for Guitar Hero 5 with an export key, but 6 of the total available songs will not be available for transfer. And RB1/2 instruments do appear to be compatible with Guitar Hero 5 as well.

Last edited:
I get home to find that she has picked up the Aerosmith Guitar Hero which even she admitted was not a fan of but for a deal of $40 with guitar she couldn’t pass it up.
That is a decent deal for the guitar alone. The game is OK if you like Aerosmith.

Which guitar do you have? A picture would be enough for us if you don't know. I just ask because depending on the guitar your game choices may be limited due to an early instrument incompatibility issue on the PS3.

My first impression was…”why is this fun”. Challenging, for certain…but I didn’t get it. I soon realized part of the problem was playing songs I’d never heard of or ones I never liked to begin with. As I got further along in the game I played songs that I could recognize and easily pick up the rhythm on. That made the game much more entertaining.
Beer and multiple friends also help this along fairly well. But like you said, songs you like/know are a plus. When playing alone I find myself playing an unbalanced amount of Rush, Boston, and The Who. Another thing to keep in mind is that Rock Band and World Tour feature vocals and drums as well, so they can also double as karaoke games, and you may personally find drums more enjoyable.

As I scroll through the PSN store I don’t see add ons for the Aerosmith version that I have. Would it be true that I can’t download any additional songs or do I need to pick up World Tour?
No, Aerosmith did not have DLC. World Tour does, Metallica, I think, has one DLC pack. Guitar Hero 5 will allow you to export World Tour's songs into the game, although this recent article from Desctructoid brings in to question just how well it does it.
http://www.destructoid.com/guitar-hero-5-s-world-tour-import-feature-is-bullsh-t-147094.phtml

Rock Band and Rock Band 2 all use the same DLC and you can export all but five songs from Rock Band 1 (you need the disc - rent/borrow it) into Rock Band 2. The Beatles: Rock Band will not be exportable or have compatible DLC for reasons unknown, but LEGO Rock Band will be exportable. So, The Beatles will stand alone in the Rock Band franchise.

The overall main difference between the two franchises is their career modes. Guitar Hero is kind of tier based while Rock Band is designed to be like a free roaming arena band experience.

Anyway, welcome to an early entry into the genre. I definitely suggest a rental of the newer titles in the franchise.

And just remember, you are at home, it is OK to rock out in your underwear.

tom-cruise-in-risky-business-doing-the-underwear-dance-2.jpg

It's like this, just more interactive.

Which guitar do you have? A picture would be enough for us if you don't know. I just ask because depending on the guitar your game choices may be limited due to an early instrument incompatibility issue on the PS3.

I like it actually.

20080415092128xXVl.jpg

Beer and multiple friends also help this along fairly well.

I was shocked to see my girl rocking some songs on medium without playing the game for at least a year.

No, Aerosmith did not have DLC. World Tour does, Metallica, I think, has one DLC pack.

Then World Tour should be my next pick up...C...NO? At least if I am just staying with GH.

And just remember, you are at home, it is OK to rock out in your underwear.

Considering I grew up in the 80’s, I think it’s gonna look more like this. Bring on GH “the hair band” edition!

ecostumes_2070_916952624

I like it actually.
Here is the instrument compatibility matrix. I think yours is just an Aerosmith designed GH III Les Paul, so it should work with all. But when you get a second guitar, and you should, I suggest going to Gamestop and they will likely have used ones hanging on a rack. Hold each kind and see what feels best. If you decide you prefer one franchise over another you may want to stick to that brand's guitar so its special gameplay features (slider bar for GH, high fret buttons for RB) are also accesible. But do note that these features are not necessary. My RB2 Stratocaster got me through World Tour fine without a slider bar and Rock Band solos do not require high fret buttons for you to make a fool of yourself rock out your inner rock star.

I was shocked to see my girl rocking some songs on medium without playing the game for at least a year.
My wife kicked my butt the first time she played, but then she plays instruments in real life and my left hand is partially defunct. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. She can't get close to my hotness now.

Then World Tour should be my next pick up...C...NO? At least if I am just staying with GH.
If sticking to GH, yes, sort of. GH5 is close and you get GH: Van Halen for free if you buy it new (see below).

Considering I grew up in the 80’s, I think it’s gonna look more like this. Bring on GH “the hair band” edition!
Well GH: Van Halen is coming, in an all David Lee roth form. Or you may like Rock Band and its undying love for its Mötley Crüe DLC love. I was picking up Dr. Feelgood and my country loving wife looks up and says, "You aren't getting Same Ol' Situation? I love that song."

...But when you get a second guitar, and you should....

I've already been advised that she we will.

If sticking to GH, yes, sort of. GH5 is close and you get GH: Van Halen for free if you buy it new (see below).

Free is always better. 👍

We'll see how long this game keeps my attention. I did play last night until my fingers started cramping so there is hope.

I've already been advised that she we will.

Free is always better. 👍

We'll see how long this game keeps my attention. I did play last night until my fingers started cramping so there is hope.
Well, your time is limited on the free offer. The site says by October 1st.
http://hub.guitarhero.com/vanhalengameoffer/index.php

And perhaps your son would like to play drums? If so, an instrument bundle may be in your future. That will also cover her the extra guitar.

Its official Activision sucks....... I am now "forced" to buy GH5 to enjoy dlc...... I wont care if i get the Van Halen game with it.

I believe the Van Halen deal has expired, anyway.

EDIT: No i'm wrong, the offer doesn't expire until October 1st and you can redeem it up to October 31st.

Last edited:
I may pick up The Beatles Rockband just because I love The Beatles.

Also, the DLC songs should work for it as well right?

I may pick up The Beatles Rockband just because I love The Beatles.

Also, the DLC songs should work for it as well right?

No, it has its own seperate DLC.

It would be very wrong to see The Beatles singing Number of the Beast. 👎

Oh yeah yeah, the lyrics to that song by the beatles would be a match made in hell:)
Kind of like Kurt Cobain rapping?

Zombie Kurt: "YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH BOOOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEE!!!!"

And with that, this week's DLC:

Guitar Hero
  • “I’m Free (Live)” by The Rolling Stones ($1.99)
  • “Prodigal Son (Live)” by The Rolling Stones ($1.99)
  • “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction (Live)” by The Rolling Stones ($1.99)
  • “Under My Thumb (Live)” by The Rolling Stones ($1.99)
  • “You Gotta Move (Live)” by The Rolling Stones ($1.99)
  • The Rolling Stones Live Track Pack ($8.99)

I can't find an EU listing.

Rock Band

• Avenged Sevenfold – “Bat Country” ($1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49)
  • The Jam – “A Town Called Malice” ($1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49)
  • The Jam – “Going Underground” ($1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49)
  • Oasis – “Supersonic” (Live) ($1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49)
  • Rage Against the Machine – “Guerilla Radio” ($1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49)
  • Talking Heads – “And She Was” ($1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49)
  • Talking Heads – “Crosseyed & Painless” ($1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49)
  • Talking Heads – “Girlfriend is Better” ($1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49)
  • Talking Heads – “Once in a Lifetime” ($1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49)
  • Talking Heads – “Take Me to the River” ($1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49)
  • Talking Heads Pack 01 ($8.49 USD, £5.25 UK, €6.59)

Rock Band Unplugged

• Franz Ferdinand – “Lucid Dreams” ($1.99, £.99 UK, €1.49)
  • Guns N’ Roses – “Riad N’ The Bedouins” ($1.99, £.99 UK, €1.49)

Back