VCRC Tournament#5 *Toyota CELICA 1970* Congrats OwensRacing!!

United States
Pennsylvania
wat3rm370n
Vintage Car Race Club
Toyota CELICA 1600GT (TA22) ‘70 Championship

Tournament #5
not necessary to commit to every tournament each week

Schedule:
February 26th - Sunday 9am PST / 12pm noon EST / 5pm GMT / 6pm CET
Complete - RESULTS HERE!

approximately 90 minutes duration for the event
race start time after about 20 minutes free run warm up, & informal qualifying
3 races, approx. 10-20 minutes each race with 3-5 minute breaks in between

Celica70ex03s.jpg

Race #1: Grand Valley East Reverse - 10 laps
Race #2: London - 10 laps
Race #3: Rome Reverse - 10 laps

1st: 14, 2nd: 12, 3rd: 11, 4th: 10, 5th: 9, 6th: 8, 7th: 7,
8th: 6, 9th: 5, 10th: 4, 11th: 3, 12th: 2, 13th+: 1

Settings & Restrictions:
Toyota CELICA 1600GT (TA22) ‘70
comfort medium tires
no tuning / modifications forbidden / upgrades prohibited
oil change, engine rebuild, chassis restoration, wheels, & paint are allowed
only ABS & driving line allowed (driver's choice)
damage off
slipstream weak
penalty off
grip real
reverse grid order after 1st race
Rules: GTP OLR Rules

Race will be hosted in the VCRC Lounge, add PSN: VCRC
Note: The VCRC account is just the club lounge account. It will rarely be signed on.
Get the FR in a.s.a.p. to assure acceptance in advance of racing.
In order to check the league lounge, you must click on the coffee cup,
and wait for the room content list to present.
No yellow people icon will show, even when the room is full.

If you have trouble finding the car, but want to participate, let us know.
Someone will likely have a spare unmodified car to send to you. :embarrassed:)

Sign-up:
GTP name / PSN name / car colour

1. watermelonpunch / wat3rm370n / Moon Rock Metallic & Lavender Metallic
  2. PNuTButR / jazza96uk / Flash Green
  3. BrandonW77 / BrandonW77 / silver w/ brown trim
  4. cc570 / cc570 / (TBD)
  5. Trackbound7 / Trackbound7 / Orion Turquoise Metallic
  6. OwensRacing / OwensRacing / white & red
  7. GTsail290 / GTsail2 / WR Blue Mica
  8. jackargent / jackargent / Mustard & White
  9. LancerEvo7 / xL86LSWx / Calypsorot
  10. KB18FAN / cargorat323 / Kyanite Blue
  11. .
  12. .
  13. .
  14. .
  15. .
  16. .
Please Note:
* Mics are allowed in the Lounge before & after the official races.
* Mics should be switched off during the races to ensure the best possible connection quality.
* You may arrive at the VCRC lounge in advance of the scheduled time, for warm-up & practice.
* Qualifying will begin shortly past the hour.
* Once qualifying begins, the automatic race timer is set to start the race automatically.
* During qualifying, all cars stay on track (do not hit exit) to preserve qualifying positions.
Thank you.

Join the VCRC if you're interested in the planning the future selection of cars & tracks for these Tournaments,
or if you're just interested in meeting others interested in racing a variety of vintage cars.

Last edited:
At this point it looks like I'll be out of town next weekend but I'll let you know later in the week when the plans are finalized.

I'm in. Took the car for a spin tonight with Owens, disappointed at first but it quickly grew on me. I've never been a drifter, but so far all the cars you picked have brought out the drifter in me. :dopey:

EDIT: car color is silver with brown trim

Last edited:
:lol: It could be me. It's very possible I like drifty sort of cars. I think it's more that I like cars to have a bit of roll & shift to work with... and maybe those are easier to drift about.
(Though I admit, I burninate my tires in every car. :guilty:)

I think this 70 Celica is a nice surprise in GT5.

Even I overlooked it for too long. There are other cars in the same class that probably seem more interesting (like the Cosmo), or faster (like the Galant of the same period)... but I think this one is the most enjoyable drive, and not at all frustrating.

And these tracks we're racing it on, I know, are very well suited for this car to make a fun race.
I think people will be surprised.

@ Johnnypenso: Well then, we may have to wait another week for you to try to recapture the podium. :sly:
Get the car anyway. You'll like it. ;)

cc, I know you're a man of few words... But you're breaking the forum rules now that you want to cut down even on the punctuation. :lol:

(I'm pointing at him to draw attention away from my walls of text. :lol:)

Celica70ex04ss.jpg

spiffy in moon rock metallic & lavender metallic

And may I recommend the stock colour of Orion Turquoise Metallic. It's very nice.

I wonder if jackargent will make it next week... :eek:
:lol:

Pretty sure I am in. Trying to keep Sunday noon clear. I took the car out real quick around London and Rome. Quite a pleasure to drive. Mine is a factory red with the gold stripe and gold wheels. Gonna keep it like that.

Mine is a factory red with the gold stripe and gold wheels. Gonna keep it like that.

👍 Good choice.
The factory colours are all very cool. And with the stripe. :)
Unfortunately the only Orion Turquoise Metallic one I have, has something like 80,000 miles on it, and I need every last 1hp I can get. :lol:

And nice wheels OwensRacing! :D
(I actually tried red rims on mine... but then decided to go bright for contrast.)

We have the Mini Cooper Mini Endurance in the VCRC lounge @ 3pm EST / 8pm GMT
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=243399
(And there's room for last minute sign-ups, FYI.)

That will finish up around 4:30pm EST / 9:30pm GMT, and I will likely be able to stick around online for awhile after that, so feel free to join me then if you're about. (Goes for anyone. :))

Otherwise, I sometimes join the VCRC lounge to mess about with testing various vintage cars. Feel free to stop by, and I'll likely be up for practicing.

Anyone is welcome to practice in the VCRC lounge at any time there's not a scheduled event.

Maybe I should post scheduled events on the lounge acct message board...

Sorry but I still haven't been able to find one. If anybody has one spare, can I please borrow it for the event? :D

Vintage Car Race Club
Toyota CELICA 1600GT (TA22) ‘70 Championship

Tournament #5

The Toyota Celica 1600GT looks like another good choice Punch

Count me in!

Color me blue (WR Blue Mica)

Thanks,
GTsail2

Welcome GTSail290!
WR Blue Mica... check!

And just a heads up, the tire restriction for these races: comfort medium tires
Though I do believe the car comes equipped with comfort softs.
The car's not very fast, but since we're racing on short tracks, and 2 city tracks, I thought comfort mediums would be a more popular fit.

And speaking of car choices... The polling for Tournament #6 is open in the VCRC forum for anyone interested in participating in that race:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/group.php?do=discuss&group=&discussionid=2615

Sorry but I still haven't been able to find one. If anybody has one spare, can I please borrow it for the event? :D

I'm going to see if someone else has one with less mileage than my spares.
(Even the one I'm using is sort of high mileage - over 12,000 for sure.)

Last edited:
Welcome GTSail290!
WR Blue Mica... check!

And just a heads up, the tire restriction for these races: comfort medium tires
Though I do believe the car comes equipped with comfort softs.
The car's not very fast, but since we're racing on short tracks, and 2 city tracks, I thought comfort mediums would be a more popular fit.

And speaking of car choices... The polling for Tournament #6 is open in the VCRC forum for anyone interested in participating in that race:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/group.php?do=discuss&group=&discussionid=2615

I'm going to see if someone else has one with less mileage than my spares.
(Even the one I'm using is sort of high mileage - over 12,000 for sure.)

Haha :lol: thanks :)

I can send mine over. It has 40k miles and low on HP compared to other lower mileage ones.

I know all of mine are above 25,000 miles. One of mine MIGHT be below 40,000 miles. I'll check & see & send it if it is.
And you can just keep whichever one you don't plan to use, and send it to someone else should the need arise. :)

There's just some cars I've had trouble, even with my obsessive UCD shop-a-holic-ness... to find with low mileage. Another is the Toyota Sports 800. I have several, but none under 35,000 miles. :boggled:

I know all of mine are above 25,000 miles. One of mine MIGHT be below 40,000 miles. I'll check & see & send it if it is.
And you can just keep whichever one you don't plan to use, and send it to someone else should the need arise. :)

There's just some cars I've had trouble, even with my obsessive UCD shop-a-holic-ness... to find with low mileage. Another is the Toyota Sports 800. I have several, but none under 35,000 miles. :boggled:

Haha yeah, I know how it feels when buying used cars becomes a frequent thing :P The last time I bought a new car was a few weeks ago when I got the Mazda 787B :)

I don't have a Celica that's under 50,000 miles, I just checked. :eek:

A month ago I didn't even know I liked comfort tires. In fact, I hated them. :dunce:

They seem much better since the patch somehow. I have to say that the tires seem much more like I recall things being in gt4. More what you'd expect, I suppose.
Like softs actually wear out now!! 👍
Before, people could just drive them forever & ever really. :dopey:

Also, makes a big difference I think running the cars stock unmodified.
I mean you wouldn't jack your car up with gobs of torque with racing exhaust & turbo then shove the crappiest tires on it. :boggled:
If we were running this car all tuned up to a much higher PP, and then putting it on comfort mediums :yuck: that would be quite different.

Append: I also think that having the cars unmodified on lousier tires makes it less of a driving contest & a tuning contest... and more of a race.

Last edited:
If anyone can send me the car, please send me a FR (mention who you are in the message though) and I'll send the car back to you after the event ends. :)

If anyone can send me the car, please send me a FR
I can send mine over. It has 40k miles and low on HP compared to other lower mileage ones.

Send a FR to OwensRacing. My lowest mile car has close to 60,000 miles!
His is going to be the better choice.
Unless you PM jackargent & see if he has any spares with less mileage.
I would feel like as the race host I'd be sticking it to you to make you drive a really high mileage car. :lol:
When I get on again, I'll send you mine anyway, if you accept the FR I had sent to you! :D
(From psn: wat3rm370n)

Back