◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 149,534 comments
It always amuses me (in a good way) when drivers have such different experiences with the same car. Everything you described about the Caterham is what I would say about the other two cars on Sunday's lineup, but never about the Caterham. To me, the Caterham was extremely predictable and consistent.. a real pleasure to drive. FWIW, I always leave my brake bias at 5/5 so if you changed yours to something different you might want to give the default setting a try. :)

On Friday - when my internet connection still worked - I hopped into D1 to get some tips on what I was doing wrong in the Caterham.

For reasons I don't understand, it just kinda 'worked' for me - but I was going in expressly trying to be smooth, not fast, and not at all worried about my time. I was truly and pleasantly surprised to see my times drop.

FWIW, most of the improvement came after Zer0 asked me about my balance. For reasons I cannot defend (nor articulate, etc), I had bumped mine up to the 9/7 range. I guess I believed I'd stop faster when needed.

What Zer0 had pointed out was that I may 'stop' faster - and Zer0, and those in the know, feel free to correct me - was that I'd also have my car respond quite differently once I released the brakes if they were set so high. Kind of like a gentle release vs. a 'let loose the baying hounds!' with the resultant equal-and-opposite-effect on my control of the vehicle.

I'm headed back towards a 5/5 (or danged close) Brake Bias, I think.

Like I said last time I drove it was as a noob, I haven't actually driven it since I've been improving in snail.
I totally understand. I just read Car and Drivers lightning lap for 2013. They had a Camaro SS 1LE (420hp) and a 458 Italia (560hp). In the up hill s section the 458 did it in 8.3 seconds. The Camaro did it in 8.4. The 458 was going 10mph faster at the entrance but through the section they were equally fast.

I think you also see this with all the wrecked exotics. They are almost always a case of someone not braking enough for a turn. It is so easy in a fast car to get to a turn 20-30mph faster than a normal quick car and the idiots think because it is so much faster in a straight line it must be faster through the turns. Well it does not always work like that.

Can you clarify what "keeping some tip in" means? :dunce:

You know...not pulling out all the way. :sly:

He means to keep a slight bit of throttle on through the turn so that the balance on the car is maintained, instead of throwing all the weight to the front, unweighting the back, inducing oversteer.

...I think. 💡

On an aside, this would be an absolutely bananas way to play: http://www.oculusvr.com/

I was wondering what car would be 'fun' on GVE - for close racing, at all levels.

I'm not sure there is one, really.

To each their own.

I thought the RX7 was the perfect car for that track: enough power to be interesting and require some finness, but not so much as to feel like the track was holding it back. Perhaps we could take it to another track. If i do replace the car though it will be with something similar, low-mid range PP, although i might consider something FF. Anything much more powerful than the RX7 could easily get messy considering the lack of passing oportunities and narrow racing line through the second sector of the track.

In response to the C7 @ Clubman suggestion, I would advise against it. I thought about picking that course instead of GVE last time I had to pick, but the last sector is simply far too narrow to promote close, clean racing. If someone in front of you gets loose in that sector you have to either run them over, or check up and ruin your lap, not to mention putting yourself at risk for getting run over yourself. I would love to drive the C7...but not there. Just my opinion obviously.

You know...not pulling out all the way. :sly:

He means to keep a slight bit of throttle on through the turn so that the balance on the car is maintained, instead of throwing all the weight to the front, unweighting the back, inducing oversteer.

...I think. 💡

On an aside, this would be an absolutely bananas way to play: http://www.oculusvr.com/

Correct just using slight throttle in turns and while braking to maintain balance.

Any 1 has anything planned for tonight?
Testing combos?
Cat & Mouse?

FF ? How bout the VW Golf V GTI 05 with 197 ponies right out the dealership!

Last edited:
I thought the RX7 was the perfect car for that track: enough power to be interesting and require some finness, but not so much as to feel like the track was holding it back. Perhaps we could take it to another track. If i do replace the car though it will be with something similar, low-mid range PP, although i might consider something FF. Anything much more powerful than the RX7 could easily get messy considering the lack of passing oportunities and narrow racing line through the second sector of the track.

I really liked that combo. You could be on the power most of the time if you hit the turns right. You had to hold back if you didn't, though. The fast line felt fast for a change.

Correct just using slight throttle in turns and while braking to maintain balance.

Yeek! My left foot's only good at keeping me from falling over. (and mashing a clutch, I suppose, in real life.) Must be why I'm in D3.

So on a completly unrelated note from picking combos I have something I need advice on from everyone thats been on my mind for a while now. So for the past few weeks I've been driving around GT5 and have been paying attention to how I drive. I feel like I am reaching my limit using a DS3 and have been kinda bummed out about it. What advice would you guys give me as to getting past my limit and get faster? I'd really appreciate any advice. Thanks to all my fellow S.N.A.I.L.s that help me out!

P.S. - I'd love to see the C7 'Vette on the combo list!

So on a completly unrelated note from picking combos I have something I need advice on from everyone thats been on my mind for a while now. So for the past few weeks I've been driving around GT5 and have been paying attention to how I drive. I feel like I am reaching my limit using a DS3 and have been kinda bummed out about it. What advice would you guys give me as to getting past my limit and get faster? I'd really appreciate any advice. Thanks to all my fellow S.N.A.I.L.s that help me out!

I'm just in D4 so I might not be the best person to answer this but let me ask a follow up question. Why do you feel like the DS3 is limiting you? Is there a specific problem you are experiencing? I only ask because there are quite a few people that seem to get along just fine with it.

I was hoping to post this a little earlier, but I was too tired last night and this morning, so I'm just getting around to reporting on my trip to NYC. I had a amazing two days in the big apple and I'll be uploading some pictures later, but first I want to ask if anyone happened to be watching the Today show yesterday?

I found the Lancer (similar PP), and the Renault (MR, just fun for me) to have similar times, and quite different styles in GVE.

But that was offline...

I was hoping to post this a little earlier, but I was too tired last night and this morning, so I'm just getting around to reporting on my trip to NYC. I had a amazing two days in the big apple and I'll be uploading some pictures later, but first I want to ask if anyone happened to be watching the Today show yesterday?

Nope... Guessing you we're on it or in the background?

Try maxing out the "steering sensitivity" in the driving options if you haven't already. It helped me out when I tried it, and I ended up sticking with it. No guarantee it will make you faster though, but it's worth a shot. Note that it may take a little bit of practice in order to adjust to the extreme sensitivity.

I'm just in D4 so I might not be the best person to answer this but let me ask a follow up question. Why do you feel like the DS3 is limiting you? Is there a specific problem you are experiencing? I only ask because there are quite a few people that seem to get along just fine with it.

Maybe I didnt word it right. What I mean is that I feel like theres something important that I'm not getting, you know?

Love i or Hate it...Fireblade is fun... How'bout taking it on the Nurb?

Open Lobby for a bit'O'fun

1472 6399 8966 5887 7471

well we can do shuffle or cat and mouse then....

Last edited:
Maybe I didnt word it right. What I mean is that I feel like theres something important that I'm not getting, you know?

Nobody ever likes to hear this, but I think that the problem may be more you than the controller. That probably didn't sound all that nice but I wouldn't place blame on the DS3. You should try having a coaching session with a higher level driver. There's probably someone out there that would be willing to spend a couple hours with you and give you some pointers.

There are always a few guys that give me a really good race in D4 so I've never been too pressured to improve my skills; I enjoy the good racing. That being said, a vigilant driver will pick up on things to improve his or her lap times. For example, remember when we drove the Subaru STI at Daytona Road Course? (EDIT: You probably hadn't joined yet) I found out that if you short-shifted in the high gears, it was really easy to gain 3-4 car lengths on someone who held the gears to redline. I always watch out for little things like that to make me faster and keep me from feeling like I'm stuck in driving purgatory. I hope you see where I'm coming from here.

Nobody ever likes to hear this, but I think that the problem may be more you than the controller. That probably didn't sound all that nice but I wouldn't place blame on the DS3. You should try having a coaching session with a higher level driver. There's probably someone out there that would be willing to spend a couple hours with you and give you some pointers.

There are always a few guys that give me a really good race in D4 so I've never been too pressured to improve my skills; I enjoy the good racing. That being said, a vigilant driver will pick up on things to improve his or her lap times. For example, remember when we drove the Subaru STI at Daytona Road Course? (EDIT: You probably hadn't joined yet) I found out that if you short-shifted in the high gears, it was really easy to gain 3-4 car lengths on someone who held the gears to redline. I always watch out for little things like that to make me faster and keep me from feeling like I'm stuck in driving purgatory. I hope you see where I'm coming from here.

I'll admit, that did hurt a little bit. A very good point though. I think I will look into practice sessions from someone faster than me. Thanks for the advice Weaver

I found the Lancer (similar PP), and the Renault (MR, just fun for me) to have similar times, and quite different styles in GVE.

But that was offline...

I do like the Renault alot. I haven't tried it out online, but I'll run some test laps and see how it feels.

I'll admit, that did hurt a little bit. A very good point though. I think I will look into practice sessions from someone faster than me. Thanks for the advice Weaver

After reading it, it did seem a little harsh. I didn't mean to come across that way but the point was made at least. I remember in my much, much younger days, I had a dirt bike (my first one) that I didn't know how to ride very well. Every time I did something stupid and dropped it I would say something like "This piece of ****! Who the **** could ever ride this thing?" One day, an older friend of mine saw me bust my ass and start blaming the bike and just flat out told me that if I thought it was that bike's fault that I busted my ass, then I wasn't worthy of riding. I was pissed at first but then I understood what he meant and became a better rider because of it. Hopefully what I said makes sense and will do you some good.

Love i or Hate it...Fireblade is fun... How'bout taking it on the Nurb?

Open Lobby for a bit'O'fun

1472 6399 8966 5887 7471

well we can do shuffle or cat and mouse then....

We're having some fun just doing PP races, but it would be more fun with more.

Hint Hint Everyone. ;)

After reading it, it did seem a little harsh. I didn't mean to come across that way but the point was made at least. I remember in my much, much younger days, I had a dirt bike (my first one) that I didn't know how to ride very well. Every time I did something stupid and dropped it I would say something like "This piece of ****! Who the **** could ever ride this thing?" One day, an older friend of mine saw me bust my ass and start blaming the bike and just flat out told me that if I thought it was that bike's fault that I busted my ass, then I wasn't worthy of riding. I was pissed at first but then I understood what he meant and became a better rider because of it. Hopefully what I said makes sense and will do you some good.

I see where you are coming from. Im always ready to take constructive criticism, all part of learning on my end.

Steward Update

It appears that the Prize A and Prize B winners are safe from complaints this week.

The full report will come out tomorrow.

Goodnight.

Back