1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,480 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 318 51.0%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 128 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 91 14.6%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.0%

• Total voters
You guys remember a video posted a couple months back where a group of dudes built this gigantic "city" with hundreds of these little cars get pulled up 3 different conveyor belts and just rolled down the set slotted "roads" forever? There was also a single train that ran on it's own.

I can't find that video and I wanted to show it to someone.

I have the blue Firebird(Matchbox), but the gold looks tons better to me. I'm gonna be looking for that one. Black Bandit thing, I'm not really familiar with. Just looked on eBay, and they seem to be going for just under $10 with shipping. I LOVE the car, but with me being casual collector at best, I just can't justify the purchase with so much other stuff on the wishlist. :ouch: Only exception right now is that Tomica Lincoln Continental from my toddler-hood!

The Black Bandit Firebird only cost me about $6 from Toys R Us and ive seen a few other Black Bandit cars I wouldnt mind getting.

The Black Bandit Firebird only cost me about $6 from Toys R Us and ive seen a few other Black Bandit cars I wouldnt mind getting.
Thanks for the tip man! 👍 I stopped by the one that's close to me, they had just one, and I snatched it up for five bucks. I picked up the Ford Police Interceptor for my nephew as well. Now I just need to find the Kenmeri Skyline, A-Team, then the gold Matchbox firebird.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the tip man! 👍 I stopped by the one that's close to me, they had just one, and I snatched it up for five bucks. I picked up the Ford Police Interceptor for my nephew as well. Now I just need to find the Kenmeri Skyline, A-Team, then the gold Matchbox firebird.

Thanks again!

Its ok. I found the Gold Firebird in a supermarket on a shortcard. I cant remember if it was a coles or woolworths though

I came close to getting the old Tomica Lincoln I used to have as a toddler, but some dude bid 3 times to outbid me on eBay. You can't get anything good on eBay without overbidding, or last minute sniping anymore. At least that's what it seems like. Last few items, most got hit within the closing seconds of the auction.

P.S. eBay's bad. I'm going after one model, but I see another Tomica I used to have a kid, there is another one! Didn't I used to have that one, too? I gotta be careful. :lol:
Its ok. I found the Gold Firebird in a supermarket on a shortcard. I cant remember if it was a coles or woolworths though
We have Toys R Us, but not the other two stores. I'll keep trying. :D

As promised. Think I did pretty well. Bit more 2000-2001 cars than I expected but some great 90's and even some surprise 80's ones in there as well. Found the masters of the universe pamphlet fairly interesting as well.

dscf0430q.jpg

dscf0429v.jpg

dscf0428y.jpg

dscf0427s.jpg

dscf0431i.jpg

dscf0433b.jpg

Wow!!! Those are some AMAZING grabs, J-Pap!!!! very good cars everywhere, some of the 90s ones are already hard to come by, but obviously the stars are the 80s cars, really cool!!!

As promised. Think I did pretty well. Bit more 2000-2001 cars than I expected but some great 90's and even some surprise 80's ones in there as well. Found the masters of the universe pamphlet fairly interesting as well.
Mother of god!

Edit:
Apparently, on the back of 2012 cars, super t-hunts aren't listed, and everyone thought they stopped making them. 2 days ago, the youtube user racegrooves found what looks like a super treasure hunt in a regular basic car, with the special paint and everything.

This was later announced at the convention
apperently, 2012 supers are going to be hidden in the collector series, to get rid of scalpers and make it more challenging, so today I'll keep an eye out for supers

Also I got a Ducati 1098R
I love it so much

Last edited:
That is one big haul, J-PaP. Very nice! :drool:

Are the two cars next to each other, below the Datsun 200SX, a Z-Whiz and a 300ZX?

Hmm, so the 2012 Super TH's will be on regular cards? Interesting. Great to know Mattel/Hotwheels is taking steps to stop the scalpers.

That is one big haul, J-PaP. Very nice! :drool:

Are the two cars next to each other, below the Datsun 200SX, a Z-Whiz and a 300ZX?

You would be correct!

The regular card super thunt thing is going to be good/annoying. Will have to memorise all the hunts for 2012 now instead of just looking for anything green.

Can you imagine the mess this will create around the Hot Wheels display? :lol:

Some stores spread them around a bit, but some stores hook them so closely together. If we can't just seek out the green color index, I can see some people just leaving a mega mess behind going through every single one!

Some stores spread them around a bit, but some stores hook them so closely together. If we can't just seek out the green color index, I can see some people just leaving a mega mess behind going through every single one!

In some stores I visit they are just chucked in the basket (not on pegs) and they get bashed up as it is after only a few days. Having the T-Hunts not green will mean people will go through each car and basically the packaging will be destroyed. Its a good and bad idea I guess.

Actually I'm not convinced on the whole scalpers issue. They already are on ebay for $100. Given how much harder it will be to find one it will drive the price up even further.

Anyhow in Australia we never even got all 15 hunts from 2011. It is too many cars for most countries that would see lower sales volumes.

Oh how unlucky

just found my second ever Treasure Hunt, but is exactly the same as one I already have,
so anyone within UK willing to trade my TH Tucker Torpedo for any other TH, Please :)

Yeah I was thinking about this last night.

Speculation about the new TH system has been high for about two months now, until they started showing up on e-bay about three weeks ago and everyone knew it was for real. It will be amuch fairer game now, but damn they WILL be difficult to find.

I've never seen one, so it doesn't really hurt my chance anyway. :D

Edit: I hope this new T.H. system wouldn't lead to some of you getting 86'd from your favorite Hot Wheels retailers for leaving dumping mess after trying to find some T.H. cars. :lol:

Part 1: Flea Market Finds

First, one of my favorite year round flea markets is closing up shop after 20+ years on Oct. 31. They are building a retail center and medical office building. :ouch:

On the plus side, because they are closing up soon, the place was as busy as I can recall this past weekend. I got there alittle late, but managed to snag a few good cars out of the now 4/$1 horse trough of cars.

IMG_0975.jpg

IMG_0977.jpg

Note: I did manage to find the entire Shiners 5-pack in the large container of cars which you can see directly above this text in the left most rows. I'll be there in two weeks to take a picture of the cars just how they can be found at the flea market...I must be the only one who goes through them. :0 I generally spend 15 minutes just digging.

Part II: Craigslist Blunder

Aside from the flea market, I made another splash this past week. I'm generally a seller on Craigslist, but last Friday I was a buyer. I put an ad up looking for Jammer cases and got a quick response. The guy told me he had cars as well if I was interested but I declined.

Then he showed up with a few cases of cars anyway. He said these were the ones he sold most often. Not the best stuff, just the stuff in good condition. Look below...if this isnt the good stuff what else does he have?? My blunder was I only brought cash for the cases and had just a few extra bucks on me. The following two pics contain all the cars I bought off him for what I brought, 18 cars for $15. There are 5 other cars from the flea market that were $1/piece just could not fit them into the other pictures.

One of the cars in these 2 was just 25 cents and dollars to doughnuts is the best car of the lot. But which one is it??

IMG_0973.jpg

IMG_0974.jpg

Part III: RIT Dye Experimentation

After watching the racegrooves video and a couple others I found, I decided to give the RIT Dye a go and the results were as I expected, decent but not flattering. The problem is you have to have mint cars because as you'll see below the dye gathers at any imperfection so you get spots. I used a car that was display filler, not mint quality and the dye brought out every problem.

It takes nearly an hour from start to finish and after that it wont matter how long the car stays in it wont darken. I kept the car below in overnight for the result I attained. Also, you have to keep the water consistently warm to keep the processs going. I found myself reheating the dyed water just to keep the saturation up.

All that said, here's what I cam up with. The GT90 was originally identical in color to the Chaparral.

IMG_0980.jpg

Last edited:
Got damn Wyvern, yet again you score big time. The Renault 18 from Matchbox is awesome, I had never seen it. The Craiglist bunch is also awesome, even a Darda!

Got damn Wyvern, yet again you score big time. The Renault 18 from Matchbox is awesome, I had never seen it. The Craiglist bunch is also awesome, even a Darda!

Another flea market this weekend, but this ones only once a month so there's 200+ vendors. Found about 15-20 toys only tables on between the fine china and baseball cards. Hope to do just as well this time 'round.

UPDATE: The rare car I bought for 25 cents in the pics above is the Blue Front Runnin' Fairmont. It was only available in one playset and for one year. It was such a strange car to see at the time (1995) because it had previously just been available as a mainline car in 1982 and 1986. Ten years nearly. I wonder if any car has been out of production before making a return longer. Rodger Dodger....Dixie Challenger I'm sure there are more.

Last edited:
I picked up 5 cars from the local Target today. The two highlights are an orange Matchbox Miura, and the Ken Block Fiesta. 👍 Still no A-Team Van though...:nervous:

Back