1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,477 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 318 51.0%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 128 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 91 14.6%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.0%

• Total voters
A lot of great collections in here!! I have a few hundred matchbox and hot wheels from the 60's, 70's and 80's that my grandfather collected and passed on that I will pull out of storage and take some photos of eventually, in the meantime I wanted to share a few newer cars you guys might find interesting.

most recent purchase

ErwyH.jpg

monopoly cars with metal playing pieces

GOUHO.jpg

t9Q81.jpg

L23Wt.jpg

Corvettes and Camaros

9f2cP.jpg

Pugeot Quasar - this was my favorite one to play with as a kid

jG78I.jpg

Rollerblade astrovan

yLHrd.jpg

Carrying cases, not sure what year these are from, if someone can identify it would be great.

TcnKq.jpg

P9Z7h.jpg

Quick question!
I am looking at a Hot wheels car at walmart that is packaged with the bottom facing out. So far I have not been able to turn it back flat. Is this enough of an error for it to be worth something?

Edit: Never mind, was able to flip it flat.

Quick question!
I am looking at a Hot wheels car at walmart that is packaged with the bottom facing out. So far I have not been able to turn it back flat. Is this enough of an error for it to be worth something?

Edit: Never mind, was able to flip it flat.

Not really, could get like that in shipping.

@ brianphi: All in one post, not three. ;)

Welcome to GTPlanet, and the HW thread, Brianphi. As others have mentioned, it may be helpful to all (and wiser) to familiarise yourself with the rules of posting.

Great Pics! I have a ton of Micros, myself. The JL Monopoly models are awesome!

Nope, the only one I have ever seen in a store I bought. There were a bunch of Vintage racing cars on clearance at Toys R Us last week, but not one 510. :(

OMG...just saw this. 1/25 scale Hot wheel. Anyone know a county of origin? Ideas?

$(KGrHqV,!g8E8fPLSHEmBPKGsuG)-Q~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqV,!qEE8WZ9U-wIBPKGsNu4E!~~60_12.JPG

EDIT: Just found online...they're Italian. I wonder are these a precursor to Mebetoys release??

$(KGrHqJHJ!wE8e0G2hStBPKn(beStg~~60_12.JPG

One more (They're just too amazing not to post!!)

$(KGrHqRHJCgE8fjuOpMTBPKn6hkMGg~~60_12.JPG

Last edited:
Restoration Attempt
Audience Participation!

I'm going to try my first strip and respray. Which option do you all think I should start with? Note: I'll just be stripping, masking off the windows and tires and spraying with rattle can equivalent.

Paint thinner will melt the plastic? Had no idea. I have no intention of disassembling such an old model straight away then... I'll find a newer model with metal body. Hopefully the rivets will be easier to get through.

Firs things first: Thinner will NOT get that paint out. maybe it will take some of it away, but not all of it. You need to disasemble the entire car and then buy real paint remover, it's like a gel that you will apply with a brush, the paint will start to look like corn flakes:

IMG_4517.jpg

And then with the same brush, take it away, and repeat the process until you have bare zamac, then wash THOROUGHLY with water and a bit of soap to get rid of all the paint remover. You'll have a clean zamac car in 10 minutes. WARNING: use kitchen gloves as thick as can be. That damned thing is highly irritating and your hands will ITCH for a good hour if you apply it straight.

Alas, thinner WILL take away your plastic windows and wheels, if not melt them at least distort them REAL BAD. You need to take the car appart unless you plan on shooting over the original finish, but of course I would not recommend that.

And if I remember correctly, based off the cars you are planning to restore, the rivvets have rounded tips that will make harder to drill trough them. If you're going to attempt to open a car for the first time, grab something that's absolutely worthless like a stomped-on car or something like that and try to open that first (mine was a stepped-on Holden race car which donated it's interior. Waste not...). You'd be surprised at how much the drill can move on your first attepmt, and you don't want to destroy any of those I'm sure. Take it in steps and easy.

And I'd go for the Spoiler Sport. I'm still lacking one to restore, and want one sooooooo badly.

Hey show some of your frakencars, I must see. :eek:

I've posted them before, and will post a bunch more in the near future, I've been editing pictures of some more customs and wheel swaps.

Anyone know a cheaper way of getting these wheels:

6299769958_3865eb45d1.jpg

Without having to pay $10+ for this car on eBay? I need 3 sets.

If you have patience, hang on with me. A friend and I will try to duplicate some parts, including wheels, out of plastic. They might not have rubber tires on them but, if we suceed, will look exactly like those. I already have the donnor axles out of a HW Garage 59 Vette, which is in pieces already:

6355156031_69902eb19f_z.jpg

And yes, I also plan to put them on every japanese car ever made. I've already fit-tested them in the Hakosuka, the Kenmeri, a Datsun, and even an old Miata, and they look fantastic.

I also have a set of front ChoroQ axles, I'm sure all of you old enough remember Takara's Penny Racers, known elsewhere as ChoroQs. Well I had a couple of 1980's ones lying around and took two of them apart for their axles (yes I took apart a $50-$100 car for it's axles, it can be put back together again with no problem as it uses screws); the rear ones do not work, they are overly gigantic and, of course, are attached to the motor, but the front ones are ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC and look like a Watanabe wheel with center cap. I'll take some pics later. And yes I'm also going to try to replicate that.

Patience?

EDIT:

About Mebetoys:

http://www.grantoros.com/

check it.​

Cano
It might be in july, but you'd have your 3 wheels sets for shipping only.

In another note, EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD SHOULD GO TAKE A LOOK AT THIS:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Rodger-Dodger-Blister-/170777177809?_trksid=p4340.m1374&_trkparms=algo%3DPI.WATCH%26its%3DC%252BS%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D15%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6199450784647273758

HOLY SWEET 🤬 V-TEC!!!! :eek:

That's a lot of cash riding on that one there. I wonder who's gonna buy it. If anyone does, they're mostly loaded in money.

I started collecting them so I can resell them and make some profit after a few years.

I will also keep one of each so that way i can have a collection of something besides old PC parts.

DMC Delorean-12
sdc10439l.jpg

sdc10440o.jpg

sdc10442r.jpg

I will sell one of the silver ones and keep the other silver as well as the black one.

Great example of why leaving cars in blister packs pays off. ;)

For investment purposes, knowing which colors are short run and/or exclusive to particular retailers is key. The retailer exclusive cars are the easiest way to a guaranteed pay off. Just like the toys r us geoffrey cars from the 70s. Obviously the retailers have more of each available now but a safe bet is to buy the exclusive stuff and hope the store goes belly up. :sly: nowadays the packaging might even state its exclusive to kmart target...etc

I think the K-Mart Day exclusive cars only have different paint jobs, the packaging is the same. Honestly with most of the cars released these days it's hard to know if you have something rare unless it's posted all over the internet. Errors are nice to have as they are usually one of a kind.

I have read countless posts on here ( and not just from me:) ) that sound something like this:

"Went to x targets and x walmarts....or x kmarts and found nothing"

Obviously 98% of hotwheels are available at any store that carries them. You should only be looking for color differences. Example, if you've seen a copo camaro in two colors at 10 different walmarts and then pop into a kmart and see a new color...ding ding ding.

Kmart days cars and kmart / walmart colors are easy to research. Just search for them. And if you want all the info in one place...just use southtexasdiecast. They normally run a couple case #s behind for the current year, but they include with the car info when you search whether or not its exclusive to any particular store.

Bottom line. If a person wanted to find out...they'd need an internet connection and 3 minutes. I usually pull the information up as I'm standing in the aisle (At Kmart in particular due to the high # of exclusives)

Last edited:
Hasn't even reached the reserve price yet! How much does he want for that thing???

The winning bid was $6 thousand.

I realise how rare that car is (especially still in it's blister), but 6 grand is such an insane amount of money to spend. :eek:

Latest Posts

Back