1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,483 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 318 51.0%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 128 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 91 14.6%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.0%

• Total voters
I'm interested indeed, Wyvern. I'm also very, VERY happy. Ecstatic, even. I found not one, but TWO disgustingly, undescribably rare, made-in-Mexico CIPSA Redlines. I'll post pics soon enough.

I'm interested indeed, Wyvern. I'm also very, VERY happy. Ecstatic, even. I found not one, but TWO disgustingly, undescribably rare, made-in-Mexico CIPSA Redlines. I'll post pics soon enough.

And no Brasília?

Seriously, I can't find this damn car.

And no Brasília?

Seriously, I can't find this damn car.

haha, after what I found today, new, supermarket-cars are the least of my worries. I'm now actually trying to confirm how many enamel orange Cipsa Mongoose are known to date. Mine might be the third one.

But for the record, a few members of the mexican HW club have already posted Brasilia pics, but they live far from here. In a month the pegs will be full of those.

Oh and BTW, those Ertl of your brother are awesome Wyvern, some really rare stuff there. The loose cars look pretty tasty!

The Tomicas that I bought off eBay arrived today, and I have to say that I may now have a new favourite 1/64 scale diecast manufacturer :)

tomicansx.jpg

tomicalambo.jpg

tomicamkx.jpg

This Subaru features an opening bonnet/hood
tomicawrx.jpg

Out of all the Tomicas I bought, this Mitsuoka Orochi has to be my favourite due to the fact that it is a metal on metal casting, has an opening engine cover and above all is a very odd car. (I'm thinking that my next Tomica purchase will be a Mitsuoka Viewt, a Mark II Jag replica based on a Nissan Micra)
tomicaorochi.jpg

tomicas.jpg

Also got this Larry's Garage Signature Buick Le Sabre from Big W. As much as I love the real riders and the metal on metal castings, I can't really justify paying $8.72 for the normal ones without the signature.
larrysgaragebuick.jpg

larrysgaragebuicklrwsig.jpg

All in all it was a very expensive week for my collecting, with the Tomicas costing $32 and the Larry's Garage car costing $8.72, but in my opinion it was worth it and that's what matters most.

Notice how the scale on each Tomica box differs.

I once saw a Honda Motul Civic. The guy asked like 100 US Dollars for it. Seemed a bit too much. Pitty as it is one of my favourite cars to drive in GTpsp.

Notice how the scale on each Tomica box differs

I think its good of them to tell you the actual scale of each car on the box unlike brands like hotwheels which will also vary in scale but wont say.

I have about 20 Tomica's, most of which are from the 90-00's. The only problem with Tomica is that they are not very detailed (apart from the limited series) but if your after obscure Japanese cars it the only way to go.

Robin.

I think its good of them to tell you the actual scale of each car on the box unlike brands like hotwheels which will also vary in scale but wont say.

I have about 20 Tomica's, most of which are from the 90-00's. The only problem with Tomica is that they are not very detailed (apart from the limited series) but if your after obscure Japanese cars it the only way to go.

Robin.

I also think it is very good. Not really usefull, but very detailed info.

Over here in Holland, there is no place that sells them :(

Yeah I like that too. Even better if they have the scale on the base like Matchbox and Majorette do.
I wish Siku did that too.

The reason for the differing scales is so that they can all fit on the tracks.

The Tomicas that I bought off eBay arrived today, and I have to say that I may now have a new favourite 1/64 scale diecast manufacturer :)

Weird that you say such a thing having only new castings. The new Tomicas look SO badly made. Next time pay those $33 for a vintage bunch and stare in fascination at the quality and detail they had back in the 70s and 80s. Back then Tomica was probably the best die-cast maker in the world.

I've started to collect Hot Wheels cars again, all my old ones had fireworks shot at them or they were set on fire.

Anyhow, so far I have a DMC DeLorean and a Datsun 510.

Couldn't snap new pics, but I found the old ones. Been doing a lot of looking on WikiHotwheels and I apparently have a lot of first editions. Yay me.

Anyways:

First Edition Dodge Concept Car
First Edition Corvette ZR1
Corvette C5
First Edition Dodge Challenger SRT8
First Edition '65 Corvette Convertible
Corvette C4
Buick Grand National
'70 Chevelle SS
'79 Camaro Z-28
Ford GT-40
First Edition Ferrari P4
First Edition Chaparral 2D
First Edition Chaparral 2
First Edition Corvette SR-2
First Edition Cunningham C4R
First Edition Corvette Stingray (2003)
Jaguar D-Type
First Edition Lotus Elise
2x First Edition Corvette Grand Sports

First Edition Dodge Viper GTS-R
Viper RT/10
Jaguar XJ220
Lamborghini Diablo
Porsche 959
Porsche 930 (Final Edition? One hasn't been made since)
First Edition Tesla Roadster
Lamborghini Countach
Mercedes "C-Class"
First Edition Audi R8
Mercedes SLK (A track monster by the way.)
BMW M Roadster
First Edition Ferrari 250 GTO
First Edition Ferrari 288 GTO
Ferrari F40
First Edition Ferrari F50 Challenge
Ferrari 456M (Not listed in Hot Wheel Wiki in that color... interesting.)
Ferrari 512M
2x Ferrari 360 Modena
Ferrari 328 GTB (I own an old and a new one, both in silver and neither in Wiki Hotwheels)
Ferrari F355 Spider
Ferrari F355 Coupe
Ferrari F355 Challenge

Not going into detail on this mess.

KrjTK.jpg

rZiHg.jpg

My collection of Dale Earnhardt NASCAR's, as well as two Kevin Harvick cars and Jr.'s ACDelco Busch/Nationwide car.

Also, those are Black Templar Space Marine's in case anyone wonders.

fchCZ.jpg

EikQC.jpg

More Hot Wheels and a LOT of Mustangs. Note: The Daishin Silvia is Muscle Machines... and incredibly detailed.

rgt3w.jpg

Miscellaneous Hot Wheels, Johnny Lightning's and other small cars. Plus the Shell Gas truck, 993 Carrera Cabriolet and a 996 Carrera 4S.
cgxad.jpg

Last edited:
eBay costs adding up!

IMG_0435.jpg

Here's what came in the large Priority Box. I paid $6.98 for whats in the next two pics. The packaging is ragged, but I'm opening them for display anyway.
IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

These came in the smaller packages
IMG_0439.jpg

There were a lot more 'junk' that came in the smaller packages that I didnt bother showing.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Lledo 'Early Days' Collection
(sorry for the mass of pics, but the detail on these is excellent and putting them all in one pic would do them an injustice.

IMG_0459.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, very good stuff Wyvern- Lledos are awesome as heck. I have a few myself and they seem so nostalgic but so very well done.

Very good buys, I wanna see the junk, hahaha

No, you need more knowledge of E-Bay buying. Wait until the last ten seconds, no joke, and watch prices jump in multiple-dollar increments.

Also, I fail to see where the mint redline is. All are pretty beat up.

What you're gonna see now, people, are two of the rarest cars I've ever come across. Rare as in maybe 5, and less than ten known. These are made in Mexico redlines by CIPSA, a plastic company that Mattel comissioned to fabricate cars in the reline era for the mexican market. The company took a lot of liberties about their cars, thus resulting in redlines with extremely individual characteristics, like unique colours of paint, interior, glass, and even metallic red in the redline tires.

Both are "Mongoose" McEwen's Duster funny car, found them both together in the usual flea market, they cost me about us4 for both. Their real market value is hundreds of dollars, im not really sure, but they would easily be above us200 each. The orange one could very well be above us600.

The blue one still has the "Los auténticos Hot Wheels Cipsa" (The authentic Cipsa Hot Wheels) stickers, one of the few to still keep them in place. I love it, even if it's the one with the worst paint, a Cipsa-made (and verified) metalflake blue. When was the last time you saw a 1970 redline in this color? yeah, never.

IMG_4019.jpg

IMG_4020.jpg

Amazingly, the interior is still there, ABSOLUTELY INTACT. Even the hold-up bar is there. The interiors in this casting fell off very easily.

IMG_4021.jpg

IMG_4022.jpg

IMG_4023.jpg

Here is the lateral view with the stickers close up. I was reading about these things in the few sites with info on these, and the blue color seems to be one of the more common for this casting. Of course, saying "common" when talking Cipsas means that there may be 6 or 7 known so far.
IMG_4024.jpg

IMG_4033.jpg

IMG_4034.jpg

Now the absurdly rare enamel orange car with no stickers, which has amazingly good paint and, note, pencil lines! I won't take them off, they add SO MUCH FLAVOUR. They say a lot about the car's past.
IMG_4025.jpg

IMG_4026.jpg

IMG_4027.jpg

surprise, it also has the entire interior, complete with hold-up bar. Ok, it's a bit bent, but come on, it's there.
IMG_4028.jpg

IMG_4029.jpg

IMG_4031.jpg

According to what I read yesterday, orange seems to be the least common Cipsa color for the Mongoose, mine might be the second or third one found so far.
IMG_4032.jpg

all in all, I still can't believe that I found these. I already had another Cipsa (some of you may remember the purple weird thing I posted here almost a year ago), but frankly, I never thought I'd grab another one, let alone TWO at the same time.

I'm ecstatic. These are by far the rarest, most valuable pieces in my collection now. And even if they are SO rare, I'll still display them. they'll soon have a thick dust layer :crazy:

ok i will need some quick advice
found this seller on eBay:
and he's selling mint condition 68',69' hotwheels...
is this just too good to be true or is just me need more knowledge on HW :)

Apologies for length

Collecting redlines is hard work because the value is weighted heavily toward color and then condition. And folks who collect just want the C8 and up graded cars. With the advent of eBay...the rarity of SPFL cars went out the window (save for rose and pink colors) and now they cost the same as flying colors. And price...dont get me started. Well over half the castings only have market value @ C8 and up grading. I've got shoe boxes of redlines that are C5-7 that with eBay are now considered filler or junk or restore cars. 15 years ago...A decent mainline SPFL was still $10-12. Now you can buy them in lots of two and three on eBay in slightly worse condition, but still presentable for nearly the same price. The rarest car I've ever owned, a lime green Sir Rodney Roadster I sent to Cano books mint for $400+. Before online auctions, it was $30 in the terrible condition its in. Missing roof, tampo wear...lots of issues. Today, you'd be lucky to get $10 because collectors are after mintys and they are collecting for keeps. Every car they keep off the market only increases the value of the mint cars left available. This has caused the market to be FLOODED with with flea market and attic finds whose value lies in the color they are or used to be.

@ Cano -- Here are the Junk/Filler- I bought these four redlines in single car lots along with the Magenta Mantis and Lt Green Ford J-Car. The combined shipping was .50 a car. I just wanted the Mantis since its in excellent condition...then talked myself into more and more of them. I scored the Shell Promo Dark Blue enamel Twin Mill for $3.36 including shipping. The Mantis was the most expensive..I paid $10.80 including shipping.
IMG_0461.jpg

IMG_0460.jpg

One more auction
I bought these two together and basically paid retail for the Motorhome (because it MOMC and I didnt have it) and got the Large Charge/Silver Bullet/Aero Flash Gleam Team free. It was on card, but their was water damage so I opened it :D
IMG_0465.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

Last edited:
Cano those cipsa redlines sound and look so unbelievably cool.

But yeah it's time for:
Pictures of cars you've probably already seen online before!

So a local store here got Matchbox cars finally... at 2.00€ a car, but they got them nonetheless.

I got the Holden

Holdenute.jpg

The police car evo.

Mitsubishievopolicecar1.jpg

An awesome mustang.

Mustang.jpg

And another Porsche which goes fine with the two green ones.

Porsche914ORIN.jpg

The Volvo

VolvoP18001.jpg

I also got the Buick Riviera Cano doesn't like.

BuickrivieraTH.jpg

And finally some Majorettes!

A Clio
RenaultClio1.jpg

A Scenic
Renaultscenic1.jpg

A Mitsubishi outlander
Mitsubishioutlander.jpg

And a Peugeot 4007
Peugeot4007.jpg

The Peugeot and Mitsubishi both look awesome!
Too bad about the wheels though.

@ Umadson? -- For the last few years I've been immersed in these little cars
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Purchased on my Lunch break

The .com cars are from Tuesday Morning (the discount chain for TJ Maxx/Marshal's) and the others from Walgreens

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

Took a trip to the trifecta of Walmarts today. No hunts this time, but got some Walmart exclusives and a Hot Wheels Decades car. Will upload pics in about 30 minutes or so.

So a local store here got Matchbox cars finally... at 2.00€ a car, but they got them nonetheless.

NICE! I too bought the Matchbox EVO police car, Porsche, and Volvo (mine is red, though). I really need to look at the Matchbox wall more often.

EDIT: The Cars of the Decades car is a Mustang Cobra. The Walmart exclusive cars are the ones with the Hot Wheels banner on the windshield.
IMG_1985.jpg

IMG_1987.jpg

And an error on the '92 Mustang.
IMG_1989.jpg

Last edited:
Picked up another batch today. Gran Torino, HW Racing Mustang, Chevy S10 Pro-Mod truck, Mitsubishi Eclipse Concept Pace car, Red BMW M3, Dodge Demon and the green GTO Judge.

Recently been going crazy looking for a few cars I KNOW I bought but somehow disappeared. The white BMW M3, "Amuse" tuned S2000 and yellow Gallardo Superleggera.

Also... am I the only one who hates hot wheel 5 packs? It seems every 5 pack I see always has one car I want and then 4 cars I could care less about.

Last edited:

Also... am I the only one who hates hot wheel 5 packs? It seems every 5 pack I see always has one car I want and then 4 cars I could care less about.

I'm with you there. That's why it pays off that my little sister collects as well, and isn't nearly as discriminating.

Recently picked up: La Fasta (In the black racing livery for her track sets.), the blue Greased Gremlin, and another Scoopa Du Fuego (Silver/red windows; so she can have my blue one.) The Scoopa endlessly amuses me since my nickname for the area is Scoupe. :dopey:

AGREED! I just received a 5 pk as a gift and the 4th car was a GMC Motorhome and the rest were :yuck:

Last edited:
Back