2022 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter Dylan
  • 1,424 comments
Chastain or Bell... one of them should be bumped down due to going below the line.

EDIT: Bell was indeed penalized.

Race was too long. They need to cut it down to 400 miles. We still haven't seen fuel mileage come into full effect with the new car.

Keselowski's team takes a huge hit:

Well, at least we know they actually are serious about the "don't you touch that, we mean it" policy. I was expecting first time offenders would get a slap on the wrist, not a roundhouse kick to the face.

Well, at least we know they actually are serious about the "don't you touch that, we mean it" policy. I was expecting first time offenders would get a slap on the wrist, not a roundhouse kick to the face.
Brad's team falls from 16th place in points to 35th, behind David Ragan who only has 2 starts. Essentially, he was penalized 2+ full races.

I wonder if Brad's got some sort of thought in the back of his mind that him being an Owner gives him some sort of edge or leverage in the parts and modifications that go into his car.

Something tells me he's trying to pull a Smokey Yunick, or trying to find a loophole to abuse, similar to Stewart Haas did with the back windows a few years ago.

I wonder if Brad's got some sort of thought in the back of his mind that him being an Owner gives him some sort of edge or leverage in the parts and modifications that go into his car.

Something tells me he's trying to pull a Smokey Yunick, or trying to find a loophole to abuse, similar to Stewart Haas did with the back windows a few years ago.
Up until a couple years ago, there were a lot of gray areas that could be pushed pretty far until the inpection team decided it was too much or some other team raised a stink about it, and even then the penalty was usually just a fine that amounted to spare change from under the couch cushions. NASCAR clearly wants it to be known that those gray areas don't exist anymore and were ready to make an object lesson out of the first team that thought they could carry on like before.

Up until a couple years ago, there were a lot of gray areas that could be pushed pretty far until the inpection team decided it was too much or some other team raised a stink about it, and even then the penalty was usually just a fine that amounted to spare change from under the couch cushions. NASCAR clearly wants it to be known that those gray areas don't exist anymore and were ready to make an object lesson out of the first team that thought they could carry on like before.
Probably trying to shake the robin hood effect from cheaters.

I just want to know the extent of what Brad was doing with the body panels🤣.

Probably trying to shake the robin hood effect from cheaters.

I just want to know the extent of what Brad was doing with the body panels🤣.
If I had to guess, they probably shaved down an edge or two in an attempt to improve the aero and went a little too far so it got noticed. It wouldn't be surprising in the least if every team was going over their cars with a micrometer to try and figure out where they might be able to sneak something past.

You know, I'm interested to see how this newer Cup car performs at a road course like Circuit of the Americas. I think the Cup cars did about 2:12 to 2:22 around COTA. Or maybe that was the XFINITY cars. This year's races should be under MUCH better conditions than the rainy mess from last year or so.

You know, I'm interested to see how this newer Cup car performs at a road course like Circuit of the Americas. I think the Cup cars did about 2:12 to 2:22 around COTA. Or maybe that was the XFINITY cars. This year's races should be under MUCH better conditions than the rainy mess from last year or so.
This.

They repeatedly told us this next gen car is closer to being a sports car, so the race tomorrow ultimately is going to be the deciding factor if more road courses will be added in the future.

Fingers crossed, because I'm seriously hoping the schedule will have a balance like Indycar's.

Fingers crossed, because I'm seriously hoping the schedule will have a balance like Indycar's.
I've resisted posting because at this point motorsports and I aren't seeing eye to eye...but this is a statement I can't ignore. You do realize Indycar has 5 oval races all year, yeah? And one is a double header? If you want that balance, figure out how to get the Aussie Supercars or IMSA to half-ass an oval race instead of fundamentally change a series that is the main reason paved ovals still exist.

I've resisted posting because at this point motorsports and I aren't seeing eye to eye...but this is a statement I can't ignore. You do realize Indycar has 5 oval races all year, yeah? And one is a double header? If you want that balance, figure out how to get the Aussie Supercars or IMSA to half-ass an oval race instead of fundamentally change a series that is the main reason paved ovals still exist.
More Ovals for Indycar would be nice, actually, ngl. Especially if they could nab a date with Phoenix, Charlotte, or Atlanta.

Ovals aren't going away in America, it's NASCAR's bread and butter, but putting Road Courses in the mix, and maybe even a street course or two (It'll probably happen within the next decade, lbh), It'll bring some depth to the series.

COTA and the next gen car's the test, and both sides that're pro-oval and pro-road course are going to be looking at the results.

AJ Allmendinger put on a clinic at the COTA Xfinity race. Not a scratch on his car. The man is a treasure.

Qualifying times this year for cup are extremely close to the times set last year. I remember a bunch of hype about how the new cup cars would be closer to GT3 cars. So far they seem to be just as hard to wrestle around the track as the old cars so that’s good.

The racing has been decent so far, but they really need to cut about 50 miles off the race length.

Edit: I love Stewart being in the booth, he’s not afraid to call NASCAR out even if one of his cars benefits from their idiotic calls.

Last edited:
Not watching the race but tuned into the AJ Allmendinger on-board stream on YouTube. Apparently track boundaries do not exist here.

Nascar spin cup at the Circuit of the Americas.

Edit.

The usual upfronts are not having the race they should have.

Last edited:
I really hope his watermelon smashing is going to be tradition when he wins races. 🤣

And with how up and down his career's been over the last couple of years, I hope it's the first of many.

Back