2024 Repco Supercars ChampionshipTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 349 comments
Holy crap. Its actually happening. Weird for WAU to do it considering they only just switched to Ford a couple of years ago but who cares. This means I can buy their merch again. lol

I was just reading about that. I'm glad you can once again spend your hard earned dollars on the team you've followed for ages :)

Hasn't the Ford Ranger just started pipping the Toyota HiLux for sales? Interesting timing :odd:... but great to see another brand.

Retro livery ides for the Supras? ;)

Four cars on the grid between two teams. Think GRM would want in?

Edit: edit that. Haven't kept up with REC news. Would a team have to give up a licence for another team to join or can Supercars take it back?

Last edited:
[
Four cars on the grid between two teams. Think GRM would want in?

Supposedly Team 18.

Edit: edit that. Haven't kept up with REC news. Would a team have to give up a licence for another team to join or can Supercars take it back?
I'm pretty sure Supercars still has two unused REC's, but they won't need them if it is Team 18.

Last edited:
Wow outside of the rumour yesterday, they did very well to keep it on the down low. Really interested to see how the car looks on track, being so much smaller than the Camaro and Mustang. Good luck to those doing the Parity, lol.

[

Supposedly Team 18.

I'm pretty sure Supercars still has two unused REC's, but they won't need them if it is Team 18.
Finally their Toyota forklift branding will make a bit more sense. ;)

Also, a bit ironic to have had the years of Lexus Safety cars(never mind when the Chrysler 300 were leading the field) with Toyota now joining the series.

Just remembered that'll be Toyota presence in GR86, SUPER UTES and now Supercars.

Last edited:
Holy crap. Its actually happening. Weird for WAU to do it considering they only just switched to Ford a couple of years ago but who cares. This means I can buy their merch again. lol

Looks like I'm going to have a new favorite team :) !!

Is Ryan Wood doing OK ? (haven't been able to keep up with this years action) ... Toyota joining and with a Kiwi driver would be the icing on the cake for me !!

Looks like I'm going to have a new favorite team :) !!

Is Ryan Wood doing OK ? (haven't been able to keep up with this years action) ... Toyota joining and with a Kiwi driver would be the icing on the cake for me !!
Wood is certainly doing better than Percat was. I reckon he's going to be another Kiwi sensation. Make sense WAU are taking this on. They only took on Ford because no other manufacturer wanted to join 6 months before these cars were going to be raced. Toyota with anything, apart from F1, have been successful so with WAU I reckon they could be a force to be reckon with within a couple years after joining.

Damn, the car is actually gonna have the closest thing to a FT-1 front bumper too?

Sweet that they’re also going to have one on display at Bathurst, really interested to see it in its actual form. I can’t remember what the size of the Gen 3 is, but the road car Supra is much smaller than the Mustang and Camaro. I wonder if we’ll see a bit of a Frankenstein to make it fit the body. The FT-1 styling on the front end is also really interesting. I think the final car might look quite bespoke compared to the Mustang and Camaro Supercars.

Talk is that Team 18 is the second the team, De Pasquale going there makes a lot more sense now.

Last edited:
Just from the clay model, the wheelbase is naturally much longer. At least the front camber is accurate. ;)

(V8)Supercars
1726631992391.jpeg

FT-1
1726632098722.jpeg

Supra Racing Concept
1726632190574.jpeg

GT500
1726631801693.jpeg

GT300
1726631949081.jpeg

GT4
1726631849687.jpeg

Last edited:
I was just reading about that. I'm glad you can once again spend your hard earned dollars on the team you've followed for ages :)
While the series ain't the same anymore without the Aussie stuff and as much as I like to think I'm past the tribalism thing, there's still a part of me deep down that wouldn't feel quite right wearing something with a Ford logo on it. :lol:

Supposedly Team 18.

Thought it would be either Team 18 or PremiAir. Surprised Grove wasn't mentioned considering the amount of money they've been chucking around for the past few years.
Yeah, he's shown plenty of promise. Almost got a podium at Taupo earlier in the year.

Supposedly Team 18.

The GR Supra-Gen3 car will be powered by Toyota’s 5-litre, 2UR-GSE all-aluminium, quad-cam V8 engine that has featured in a range of performance production cars, suitably ‘paritised’ alongside the current Ford/GM engines in Supercars.

It's a shame the Supra's production is rumored to be ending in 2026. Considering they're going to use the engine from the Lexus F-Performance line-up, it would be interesting to see Toyota chuck it into a road production Supra as a last hurrah. Manual gearbox would be dead again, though.

It's a shame the Supra's production is rumored to be ending in 2026. Considering they're going to use the engine from the Lexus F-Performance line-up, it would be interesting to see Toyota chuck it into a road production Supra as a last hurrah. Manual gearbox would be dead again, though.
YES YES YES! Make it happen Toyota!

That five year plan is so odd for the Supra. It’s going to be old and the GR GT3 will debut. I’m thinking Camry should have been the move. Ties with NASCAR, the “new”-ish Camry will have been out for a couple years.
I get there’s nostalgia with Supra in Showroom Production and ATCC, but Camry was also in Super Touring.

My biggest rant will be how the series would have been great with the R35, but the regulations took too long to change.

That five year plan is so odd for the Supra. It’s going to be old and the GR GT3 will debut. I’m thinking Camry should have been the move. Ties with NASCAR, the “new”-ish Camry will have been out for a couple years.
I get there’s nostalgia with Supra in Showroom Production and ATCC, but Camry was also in Super Touring.

My biggest rant will be how the series would have been great with the R35, but the regulations took too long to change.
I agree that it's a bit odd with the Supra being a bit old and at the end of its lifespan, but I completely disagree with the idea of the Camry. I reckon for brand image and public opinion (for both Supercars and Toyota each), the Camry would lead to the project being dead on arrival.

The current (Australian) public perception of the Camry is that it is bland, boring, dull, a good car, but incredibly uncool. You have to think of it from a brand perspective, Camry joining Supercars doesn't help Supercars, because a good portion of Supercars fans (talking the casuals), would absolutely laugh at it, because its a Camry, and for Toyota, Supercars isn't at the point that it'd truly change the image of the Camry.

Compare that to the Supra, fantastic public perception, known for being a 'cool' car, will hit the ground running with support. Also a huge chance to bring in interest from car enthusiasts who aren't currently V8 Supercar fans, especially the JDM and modified crowd, which in Australia is massive, but also doesn't currently have a particularly big crossover with Supercars. Everyone in those circles know what V8 Supercars is, so the Supra will be huge for them.

Toyota joining with the Supra is bigger than what Nissan, Mercedes and Volvo combined, and Supercars with Mustangs, Camaros and Supra is so much better for total brand image than Mustang, Camaro and Camry. The general public will immediately spot the odd one out.

I agree that it's a bit odd with the Supra being a bit old and at the end of its lifespan, but I completely disagree with the idea of the Camry. I reckon for brand image and public opinion (for both Supercars and Toyota each), the Camry would lead to the project being dead on arrival.

The current (Australian) public perception of the Camry is that it is bland, boring, dull, a good car, but incredibly uncool. You have to think of it from a brand perspective, Camry joining Supercars doesn't help Supercars, because a good portion of Supercars fans (talking the casuals), would absolutely laugh at it, because its a Camry, and for Toyota, Supercars isn't at the point that it'd truly change the image of the Camry.

Compare that to the Supra, fantastic public perception, known for being a 'cool' car, will hit the ground running with support. Also a huge chance to bring in interest from car enthusiasts who aren't currently V8 Supercar fans, especially the JDM and modified crowd, which in Australia is massive, but also doesn't currently have a particularly big crossover with Supercars. Everyone in those circles know what V8 Supercars is, so the Supra will be huge for them.

Toyota joining with the Supra is bigger than what Nissan, Mercedes and Volvo combined, and Supercars with Mustangs, Camaros and Supra is so much better for total brand image than Mustang, Camaro and Camry. The general public will immediately spot the odd one out.
No doubt the scope has changed since COTF Falcon, Commodore, Altima, E63, S60. No one thought the Altima would be cool and many people outside of V8s still called it a taxi series. Altima wasn’t a halo car and we know they didn’t sell, but it made the world look more at the series. Same when the S60 arrived.
Placed in the hands of McLaughlin and that finish at Adelaide supremely boosted V8s viewership. The racing is still the key.

Hey, I read you loud and clear about the image. I mentioned the nostalgia of the model’s racing pedigree here. It would be cool if Supercars run with that leading up to its first race. However, Supra didn’t work in NASCAR(please correct me if I’m wrong, I don’t follow the series). The “Camry” does work there. Fans are used to it being on the grid for some fifteen(?) years. Supras don’t sell well here either. We’ll hopefully see a couple GT4 Supra racing with one of the GT4 teams offering to supply cars to customers.
Initial response of the news is more about a new manufacturer than the Supra itself. If they don’t snuff the Supra on debut, I’ll start watching again for sure.

Just as a side of the five years, I can see Super 2 teams being allotted the four “used” cars to help their GR86 hopefuls move up the tiers. Again, should include a GT4 Supra in that ladder, but I can see Supercars wanting to keep all things in house. I guess.

Last edited:

Can't see why Toyota would think this would be a bad idea. Seems like a lovely place to work at. No, I don't work at AutoAction and please don't sue me Betty x

I think Erebus ran an 86 for their Academy before WAU entered that series. Might have got first dibs if they didn't have the driver problems early on.

Yeah, while things seemed to have calmed down at Erebus since the beginning of the year cluster****. Honestly I think Toyota should stay as far away from them as they can.

Back