2024 Repco Supercars ChampionshipTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 386 comments
So there seems to be discrepancies in the transient dyno testing, but and this is an insane but IMHO, it could be down to the Chev engine being near the bottom of the performance window.

From Adcafe: ''Where the two engines that were tested in the USA fit within that tolerance may also explain the differences recorded at AVL, with the Chev believed to have been at the lower end of its performance window.''

:confused::confused::confused:
Why the **** weren't the engines that were sent over for testing both the same. :crazy:

So there seems to be discrepancies in the transient dyno testing, but and this is an insane but IMHO, it could be down to the Chev engine being near the bottom of the performance window.

From Adcafe: ''Where the two engines that were tested in the USA fit within that tolerance may also explain the differences recorded at AVL, with the Chev believed to have been at the lower end of its performance window.''

Why the **** weren't the engines that were sent over for testing both the same. :crazy:

Well, i would swear but i might get community service.

2569eb5597fe9f2995ee5c94df0ea270.jpg

Thats certainly what Toyota wants to hear after confirming they will join the series, being an extra wheel to the discussion of Parity

I've defended Supercars on a lot of things that have pretty unpopular on social media (once the 'dying sport' parade get going they'll eat from the palm of any hand with something negative to say about the sport), but i really hate this. A proper case of fixing something that isn't broken. Last year we had a championship naturally come down to the final round, and this year its likely it'll do so again. Trying to manufacture a close championship spoils all good that a close championship is.

Last edited:

Sandown has lost the 500KM enduro yet again as it goes to The Bend, but I'm OK with 2 250KM single driver races.
500KM of The Bend sounds like paint drying. The cars don't suit the track and it's a completely atmosphere-less dustbowl.

I've defended Supercars on a lot of things that have pretty unpopular on social media (once the 'dying sport' parade get going they'll eat from the palm of any hand with something negative to say about the sport), but i really hate this. A proper case of fixing something that isn't broken. Last year we had a championship naturally come down to the final round, and this year its likely it'll do so again. Trying to manufacture a close championship spoils all good that a close championship is.
At the very least there is no "win and your in" 🤬 like in NASCAR

But yeah I really hate this, it stops a lot of interesting elements the play out in the season and keeps it a safe linear season repeatedly. Sure you avoid dull dominant seasons like early 2010s Whincup and 2019-2020 Scott Mclaughlin but you avoid amazing seasons as well.

Comparisons to other Sports is ridicilous as I said it before and I'll say it again. AFL, NRL, A-League etc. matches are 1v1, its only you and your opponent. Supercars is a glorified Battle Royal, you and your championship rival can lose at any time entirely because of someone else. Making a race do or die is horrible in the long term.

Sandown has lost the 500KM enduro yet again as it goes to The Bend, but I'm OK with 2 250KM single driver races.

God, Sandown and Supercars have a really bad abusive relationship.

Honestly not that big on The Bend. Track doesnt seem interesting to drive or race with the only thing going for it is that its longer than Le Mans but shorter than Nürburgring on its full layout ignoring that those 2 tracks have way more going for it than it being long

I don't get it why they would make it complicated for something that has been simple and straightforward. For what? To add superficial tension?

Its interesting that Supercars is seeing the steady decline of NASCAR since 2004 over here in America and saying, "We want a piece of that!". Racing should never compete with stick-and-ball sports, ever. I sincerely hope that they look at NASCAR before they follow. Its a very slippery slope, besides doesn't Supercars have enough on their plate already?

This is certainly a step in the right direction. 1200 more kilometres of racing in 2025? Bring it on!

Format 1: Single qualifying session
Fastest claims pole – session length TBA
NOTE: Enduro Cup events will feature Format 1 for provisional pole, prior to a
Top 10 Shootout to determine pole position

Format 2: Two-part qualifying
Part 1 – 24 cars – 10mins (14 slowest eliminated prior to Part 2)
Part 2 – Top 10 – 8mins – Fastest claims pole position

Format 3: Three-part qualifying
Part 1 – 24 cars – 10mins (6 slowest eliminated prior to Part 2)
Part 2 – Top 18 – 8mins (8 slowest eliminated prior to Shootout)
Part 3 – Top 10 Shootout

2025 Repco Supercars Championship formats:

EventDayPracticeQualifyingRaceLength
SydneyFriday1 x 30 minFormat 21100km
SaturdayFormat 3/TTSO2200km
SundayFormat 3/TTSO3200km
Albert ParkThursday2 x 30 minFormat 14105km
FridayFormat 15105km
SaturdayFormat 16105km
SundayFormat 1780km
TaupōFriday2 x 30 min
SaturdayFormat 28120km
SaturdayFormat 29120km
SundayFormat 3/TTSO10200km
TasmaniaFriday2 x 30 min
SaturdayFormat 211120km
SaturdayFormat 212120km
SundayFormat 3/TTSO13200km
PerthFriday2 x 30 min
SaturdayFormat 214120km
SaturdayFormat 215120km
SundayFormat 3/TTSO16200km
DarwinFriday2 x 30 min
SaturdayFormat 217120km
SaturdayFormat 218120km
SundayFormat 3/TTSO19200km
TownsvilleFriday2 x 30 minFormat 220100km
SaturdayFormat 221200km
SundayFormat 3/TTSO22200km
IpswichFriday2 x 30 min
SaturdayFormat 223120km
SaturdayFormat 224120km
SundayFormat 3/TTSO25200km
BendFriday3 x 30 min
Saturday2 x 40 minFormat 1/TTSO
Sunday1 x WU26500km
BathurstThursday2 x 60 min
Friday2 x 60 minFormat 1
Saturday2 x 60 minTTSO
Sunday1 x WU271000km
Gold CoastFriday2 x 30 min
SaturdayFormat 3/TTSO28250km
SundayFormat 3/TTSO29250km
SandownFriday2 x 30 min
SaturdayFormat 3/TTSO30250km
SundayFormat 3/TTSO31250km
AdelaideThursday1 x 30 min
Friday1 x 30 minFormat 232100km
SaturdayFormat 3/TTSO33250km
SundayFormat 3/TTSO34250km

I dont know if slapping more races per weekend is the ideal solution compared to adding more weekends in general. Especially the random 100km races on Friday. I like the 3 race format on the other Sprint races though.

Yeah, I won't argue against more racing over the course of the year. The finals system thing I'm still not sold on though. And the Enduro Cup needs to be three races.
I agree with the Enduro Cup being three races. It's a tricky one though. They could include the Gold Coast race but I doubt they'd want the Enduro Cup to finish there instead of Bathurst.

To me that would be better, and maybe have just the last two races for The Chase with less cars eligible. Perhaps just the top four in points plus Enduro Cup winner and Sprint winner and if they happen to overlap (so possibly just 4-6 cars), then so be it. Maybe??? I'm really not sure.

I don't think a tenth placed car really has the right to contest for the final with how few (truly competitive) cars we run. Top four or five are usually the good ones consistently contesting for poles and wins, after that there's the outliers.

I dont know if slapping more races per weekend is the ideal solution compared to adding more weekends in general. Especially the random 100km races on Friday. I like the 3 race format on the other Sprint races though.
It's this or nothing from what I can tell. It's the $60k extra cost per car of running extra rounds thing... and you can be damn sure T8 won't forgo that payment. Others might be flexible but they've shown that when everyone has forgone payment (Pukekohe), they still won't budge.

In an ideal situation Phillip Island and Winton should be back on the calendar as well as one extra NZ round for a total of 16.

Though speaking of the finals format. The Sprint winner automatically qualifying is redundant as there is almost no scenario someone 1st in points by the Enduros would suddenly drop to 11th after them. So it really is just the Top 11 + Enduro Cup Winner

I would be way more upset over this finals system but the series has already started to lose me with getting the cars wrong last year, getting the drivers and teams wrong this year and now to complete the trilogy, they are getting the championship wrong. I'm all so numb to it at this point and care far more about WEC.

As for more Enduros, bit tricky as Gold Coast as an Enduro was always a bit problematic of being 2 × 300km races which, a) the Supercars main drivers did that distance themselves at the first SuperNight, b) ended up with weird scenarios where the co driver did more driving than the main driver and c) ended up being the 3rd last round of the championship to suddenly shift gears for the finale very last minute. While an Enduro Cup being only 2 rounds is odd and hardly a Championship, its far better than Gold Coast becoming one again

I love the fact we will have more racing next year, but I still can't get my head around what fanbase wanted this major and unnecessary change to the points system. This year we are having an amazing battle for the title that'll more than likely go down to Adelaide and that has happened organically. Imagine after Bathurst the guy in 10th has a blinder last 3 rounds of the championship and wins the thing, it is just stupid. The fact that Supercars ignored the fans when this we rumored last week and still went ahead shows they're in it for themselves, in other words trying to make a quick buck. This will ruin any hope of reviving the sport and that to me is the saddest thing.

I'm not against this new "Finals" format because it's not full of strange quirks like the NASCAR Playoffs. It's a simple case of: if you have enough points at the end of each round, you advance. I do not believe it will ruin the legitimacy of the championship because there's no "win and your in" rule like NASCAR. Nor is there a rule which states that you have to complete every race in the regular season, which isn't even followed anyway. Harrison Burton won the Coke Zero 400 at Daytona and got into the Playoffs, despite being 33rd in points - taking a spot away from someone much more deserving like Bubba Wallace or Chris Buescher. This Finals format will reward consistency during the "regular" season, so the drivers who make it in deserve to be there.

Last edited:
I'm not against this new "Finals" format because it's not full of strange quirks like the NASCAR Playoffs. It's a simple case of: if you have enough points at the end of each race, you advance. I do not believe it will ruin the legitimacy of the championship because there's no "win and your in" rule like NASCAR. Nor is there a rule which states that you have to complete every race in the regular season, which isn't even followed anyway. Harrison Burton won the Coke Zero 400 at Daytona and got into the Playoffs, despite being 33rd in points - taking a spot away from someone much more deserving like Bubba Wallace or Chris Buescher. This Finals format will reward consistency during the "regular" season, so the drivers who make it in deserve to be there.
But then get taken out not out of their own fault but an incident involving another finalists. Not matter if they would be leading the championship or in 12th before the final starts. Only 1 race weekend really causes awkward do or die scenarios that rubs everthing off.

Id argure its still bad even with no win and your in system and from an audience perspective, is there even a point to watch the Sprint Season when it all gets rubbed away by the Finals? Win and your In despite being far worse did at least have a merit of some incentive to watch a race to see who makes it in. Enduro Season is fine as Bathurst 1000 can arguably be considered bigger than the Championship itself but the Sprint races dont have that luxury.

Last edited:
But then get taken out not out of their own fault but an incident involving another finalists. Not matter if they would be leading the championship or in 12th before the final starts. Only 1 race weekend really causes awkward do or die scenarios that rubs everthing off.

Id argure its still bad even with no win and your in system and from an audience perspective, is there even a point to watch the Sprint Season when it all gets rubbed away by the Finals? Win and your In despite being far worse did at least have a merit of some incentive to watch a race to see who makes it in. Enduro Season is fine as Bathurst 1000 can arguably be considered bigger than the Championship itself but the Sprint races dont have that luxury.
There is a point to watching the Sprint portion of the championship. I know I'll still be watching the races that take place. The Playoffs don't have any merit at all because people who SHOULD get in sometimes DO NOT due to a driver or two getting lucky. Chris Buescher missed out on a Playoff spot because Harrison Burton got a win at Daytona. That scenario will not occur with the format Supercars has proposed. Buescher may not have won but he regularly ran inside the top 5/top 10 and I'm pretty sure he was inside the top 16 in points - way ahead of Burton. If NASCAR still had it's Chase format, which is similar to the Finals format, he would've made it in to the post-season no problem.

There is a point to watching the Sprint portion of the championship. I know I'll still be watching the races that take place. The Playoffs don't have any merit at all because people who SHOULD get in sometimes DO NOT due to a driver or two getting lucky. Chris Buescher missed out on a Playoff spot because Harrison Burton got a win at Daytona. That scenario will not occur with the format Supercars has proposed. Buescher may not have won but he regularly ran inside the top 5/top 10 and I'm pretty sure he was inside the top 16 in points - way ahead of Burton. If NASCAR still had it's Chase format, which is similar to the Finals format, he would've made it in to the post-season no problem.
I don't get why you deterred off as if I said I think NASCAR format is better. I gave it one tiny measily credit of making the pre playoffs have some watchable value which Supercars currently does not (of course the best solution is to not have these stupid finals systems at all but apparently we don't deserve nice things). That doesn't mean I think NASCARs system is better I definitely don't and I hate the win and your in for the reasons you said.

Last edited:
Back