ABS 0 community where are you???

Yes, I always do the initial calibration.

Just retried the BRZ on CH's that I'd taken issue with it's behavior. At 2/1 full brake force from 60 mph causes rear lock up. At 2/0 no lock up at all. So that's great. Happy now!:) CH's are probably close to it's real life tire, maybe CM's. I'll just keep in mind that the grippier the tire, the higher setting can be applied.

Thanks guys for the feedback. That's why I love this site so much.

With the low grip tyre we are forced to use low brake pressure and that bring the issue of brake balance option. as 2/0 and 2/1 do not seem like much of a gap but the first one is like 100% front for maybe like 25% back and the 2/1 is more lie 100%/50% balance, as we can go to higher value there is more room for better adjustment. With the load cell all settings are easy to manage but I can imagine it being more of a challenge with Potentiometers.

I would think a car like the BRZ behavior would be closer in real life with CM or even CS, as the car as pretty decent grip in real life. As you are aware from our conversation in the GT5 Tyre Model Thread in August, most road cars stay pretty well in CS or CM, CH for the BRZ seems a little low.

Last edited:
With the low grip tyre we are forced to use low brake pressure and that bring the issue of brake balance option. as 2/0 and 2/1 do not seem like much of a gap but the first one is like 100% front for maybe like 25% back and the 2/1 is more lie 100%/50% balance, as we can go to higher value there is more room for better adjustment. With the load cell all settings are easy to manage but I can imagine it being more of a challenge with Potentiometers.

I would think a car like the BRZ behavior would be closer in real life with CM or even CS, as the car as pretty decent grip in real life. As you are aware from our conversation in the GT5 Tire Model thread in August, most road cars stay pretty well in CS or CM, CH for the BRZ seems a little low.

Cote Dazur, have you watched the video I posted about the GT5 data logger ? It's pretty clear from the G meter and cornering speed, the GT86 used CH tire, and no ABS was used as can be seen from the amount of brake bar filled during hard and light braking. CM or CS would allow much better grip - higher sustained G and cornering speed before the tire would let go.

Cote Dazur, have you watched the video I posted about the GT5 data logger ? It's pretty clear from the G meter and cornering speed, the GT86 used CH tire, and no ABS was used as can be seen from the amount of brake bar filled during hard and light braking. CM or CS would allow much better grip - higher sustained G and cornering speed before the tire would let go.

Yes, thank you for sharing this, interesting comparison.

The skid pad for the BRZ is : 0.92g.
When using the Gt5 tyre calculator that gives a CS, granted the tyre calculator is not 100% accurate but it is a good base when trying to match tyre and car to emulate Real Life car beheavior.

BRZ test and skid pad numbers

Last edited:
I'm always a bit suprised to read about players and, in my view, extreme brake bias adjustments.

I pretty much leave it at 5/5 and for most cars don't have a problem. I think it's just a case of brake modulation.

Now I'm not trying to be arrogant or insulting; I'm sure you guys are better GT5'ers than me. I wonder whether your brake adjustments allow for shorter braking distances and less brake modulation?

Just retried the BRZ...CH's are probably close to it's real life tire, maybe CM's.

According Inside Line, who tested the BRZ, it produced: 0.92 (lateral g) on a 200-ft. diameter Skid pad (source). I've seen figures of 0.90 to 0.92g reported by other car testers aswell.

So, according to calan's rough guide to choosing tyres, that would put it on Comfort Softs. Click pic for more info.

Also, the BRZ comes with ABS as standard, so here's an interesting question: what's more realistic, to drive it in GT5 with ABS off, or to drive it in GT5 with ABS on 1, even though the ABS I Gran Turismo isn't as realistic as in real life?

I'm always a bit suprised to read about players and, in my view, extreme brake bias adjustments.

I pretty much leave it at 5/5 and for most cars don't have a problem. I think it's just a case of brake modulation.

Now I'm not trying to be arrogant or insulting; I'm sure you guys are better GT5'ers than me. I wonder whether your brake adjustments allow for shorter braking distances and less brake modulation?

I am very happy for you that you are enjoying 5/5 brake balance adjustment with ABS 0, most people find that it is to much brake pressure on the back tyres and make the car difficult to handle.
Thank you for sharing your favorite set up.

I am very happy for you that you are enjoying 5/5 brake balance adjustment with ABS 0, most people find that it is to much brake pressure on the back tyres and make the car difficult to handle.
Thank you for sharing your favorite set up.

Thank you for your sarcasm and for answering my question.

VBR
Also, the BRZ comes with ABS as standard, so here's an interesting question: what's more realistic, to drive it in GT5 with ABS off, or to drive it in GT5 with ABS on 1, even though the ABS I Gran Turismo isn't as realistic as in real life?

What is more realistic is what works better for you, there is no right or wrong here, since, as you righly explained, both option do to not match reality.

All I can say is my car is equiped with ABS in real life and to me driving/racing is GT5 is closer to reality without ABS in the game, because to me ABS on in the game adds other artificate that make the experience less real.

Thank you for your sarcasm and for answering my question.

You are reading wrong about the sarcasm, there is none.
This thread is about ABS 0, who is enjoying it and how , you wrote that you are enjoying it your way, I am truly glad for you, I just pointed that most people prefer a different approach to brake balance.
Did not mean to offend you in any way.

If you are asking if, when driving with ABS 0, I am using different brake balance adjustment to be able to brake in a shorter distance and have a better control of my car, then the answer is yes.

What is more realistic is what works better for you...

Realism can only be ascertained by comparing simulation to reality, not personal preference, therefore that statement is wrong.

...as you righly explained, both option do to not match reality.

The question was rhetorical. :sly: What I meant was that imo ABS set to 1 is more realistic for modern cars that have ABS IRL. I've not seen or heard of any modern road cars like the BRZ that would lock up completely & kick out at the rear with 80-90% brake force. And, I also still think that ABS doesn't alter a cars genaral handling at all in GT5.

Last edited:
VBR
What I meant was that imo ABS set to 1 is more realistic for modern cars that have ABS IRL. .... And, I also still think that ABS doesn't alter a cars genaral handling at all in GT5.

As you know, I do not agree, but it does not make me right ( or wrong ).
I think it is great that we both take the time and effort to share our prefered experience of GT5. 👍
After all it is so easy for any one reading this thread to try it for them self and decided what their prefered experience of GT5 is, and possibly share as well. 👍

Realism can only be ascertained by comparing simulation to reality, not personal preference, therefore that statement is wrong.

If we all had the same point of view from where we judge, I would agree with you, but since my reality is most likely to be very different from yours, as it apparently is, I have to disagree.

Last edited:
Yes, thank you for sharing this, interesting comparison.

The skid pad for the BRZ is : 0.92g.
When using the Gt5 tyre calculator that gives a CS, granted the tyre calculator is not 100% accurate but it is a good base when trying to match tyre and car to emulate Real Life car beheavior.

BRZ test and skid pad numbers

I guess the proper comparison would be trying to do that exact lap with all comfort tires, and see which one is closer to the data logger video, in G's, cornering speed and lap times. The closest to the video - that would be the proper tire for GT86/FRS/BRZ if one is after real life performance in game.

High BB allows shorter braking distance and brake modulation heavily affected by the input devices - different pedals system perform differently for example.

Have a look at my videos to see how high BB - 10/7, 10/8 can still be driven well, trail braking can still be done even with comfort hard and comfort medium tires, not even single run have comfort soft or higher.

Here are few example :

Ferrari 599 at London Reverse, 1:04.077 -CM tire

Lancia Stratos '73 at Nurburgring GP/F, 2:47.090 - CH tire

Lamborghini Countach 25Th Anniversary '88 at Rome, 1:23.518 - CM tire

Dodge Viper GTS '02 at Road Course Daytona, 2:10.372 - CM tire

If you can manage 5/5 BB without any sweat, try to go higher values, it allows later braking, shorter braking distance at the expense of harder modulation if you are using pedals.

VBR
According Inside Line, who tested the BRZ, it produced: 0.92 (lateral g) on a 200-ft. diameter Skid pad (source). I've seen figures of 0.90 to 0.92g reported by other car testers aswell.

So, according to calan's rough guide to choosing tyres, that would put it on Comfort Softs. Click pic for more info.

I have driven ABS cars in real life, ABS in GT5 do not feel remotely close, without ABS would be the best option for me, as the game sure does have limitation in simulating real life braking system, but the best way in my opinion would be without assistance from the game.

As for the tires, like I said to Cote D Azur, PD have provided a great comparison of real life to in game, the data logged from real run translated into game, we can see how much G's and cornering speed being visualized in game, and it's safe to say we can try to replicate the lap - the tire that can do it - that is the tire that represent real life performance as logged.

If you watched the video, judging from sustained G's and cornering speed, would comfort soft fits the bill ?

I have driven ABS cars in real life, ABS in GT5 do not feel remotely close...

I agree, but do you believe that ABS 0 in GT5 is closer to real life than ABS 1?

If you watched the video, judging from sustained G's and cornering speed, would comfort soft fits the bill ?

There's so many more factors to consider than just that alone. For instance, were both real & virtual laps put in by the same driver? If not, how can we compensate for the talent/speed differential between them? Lack of fear factor can alter times in game vs reality, as can many other factors. And like I said, the tyre guide that calan made is only a rough guide to how the car should handle, not how fast it should be over 1 lap.

Thanks for posting up your videos Ridox. Curious as to your tire choices with the more modern cars like the Ferraris on Comfort tires. From using the tire calculator data it looks like a Sports Hard or Medium would be a more accurate GT5 tire.

VBR
I also still think that ABS doesn't alter a cars genaral handling at all in GT5.

As you know, I do not agree, but it does not make me right ( or wrong )..

It could only be determined whether you're right or wrong if we knew definitively either way, & seeing as PD are the only ones who could possibley tell us the truth regarding that, I guess we'll never know!

👍

VBR
I agree, but do you believe that ABS 0 in GT5 is closer to real life than ABS 1?

There's so many more factors to consider than just that alone. For instance, were both real & virtual laps put in by the same driver? If not, how can we compensate for the talent/speed differential between them? Lack of fear factor can alter times in game vs reality, as can many other factors. And like I said, the tyre guide that calan made is only a rough guide to how the car should handle, not how fast it should be over 1 lap.

To answer the question if the ABS 0 in GT5 is closer to real life than ABS 1, yes, I think ABS 0 is the closest I can get out of the game : that is braking process without being interfered by the game and give the control solely to the driver.

I am not really after for the total lap time, but more to the way the car handle at similar speed in the various long and sharp corners in Fuji, you can see in the video how much speed the car sustained before the rear breaking loose at the long right uphill corner, if we can just try each comfort tires and try to attack the corner at the same pace, which will give out like in the video ? This should be achievable as the virtual lap done in game was based on real life data, if the various corners speed can be replicated in game with certain tire, that's enough for me. And the video shows run by the same driver, the data logger in real life car records the driving data and then it was reproduced in game as shown in virtual view.

Thanks for posting up your videos Ridox. Curious as to your tire choices with the more modern cars like the Ferraris on Comfort tires. From using the tire calculator data it looks like a Sports Hard or Medium would be a more accurate GT5 tire.

I never trusted the tire calculator data, and I never liked the way sports tire handle in GT5 - it does not feel right to me, and I like driving with comfort tires, most cars between 420-600pp - I use CM tires, below 420pp - CH tires. Surely these tires are not for fast lap times, but for more enjoyable lively drive and the additional demand to be smooth :)

If I want to be faster by a little, I use CS instead of CM and CM instead of CH.

I never trusted the tire calculator data, and I never liked the way sports tire handle in GT5 - it does not feel right to me, and I like driving with comfort tires, most cars between 420-600pp - I use CM tires, below 420pp - CH tires. Surely these tires are not for fast lap times, but for more enjoyable lively drive and the additional demand to be smooth :)

If I want to be faster by a little, I use CS instead of CM and CM instead of CH.

I like what your are saying here, as to me , what feels better should be what we are after.
There is such a gap between this simulator ( and any other ) and the real experience, than all one can hope is to get the most immersive feeling. the most satisfying.👍

I know that some GT5 user have not had the opportunity to drive yet or have very limited experience, so for them, it is not about matching a particular real experience.

Any attempt to match simulation ( at this present stage ) and real track driving, is fun, but we have to keep in mind that we are millions miles away in any scenario, so at the end of the day, the only sure thing is, how does it feel for you.:)

Comfort Hard tires is the realistic tire for the trio Toyota GT86, FRS and BRZ.

The GT86 uses comfort hard from the G meter and the cornering speed, and the GT5 car run without ABS + high BB value, how do I know this ? I always drive with high BB value and no ABS, the amount of brake force applied to reduce speed as can be seen from the red brake bar shows that high BB setting in game. This is due to the percentage filled were mostly below 70% on even the heaviest braking, similar to all my videos I have uploaded on my no ABS thread. This means that PD considers ABS aid as not in conformity with real life data and comfort hard is the closest tire to match real life performance for this car.

You don't know this at all, it's mere speculation at best. You cannot actually see what tyre is being used in the video, or what the ABS setting is in game. Just because the braking in GT5 is very low doesn't mean it represents how hard or far the driver pushed his pedal in real life, or that ABS was enabled or disabled.

All it means is that PD had to manipulate the real life car's data, in order to make the car in GT5 copy it's movements & speed etc. Otherwise they wouldn't need a flashy Data Visualization program at all, they'd just have to feed the data direct from reality into the game, which clearly is not happening here.

To answer the question if the ABS 0 in GT5 is closer to real life than ABS 1, yes, I think ABS 0 is the closest I can get out of the game : that is braking process without being interfered by the game and give the control solely to the driver.

I've driven race cars IRL without ABS, & can say that ABS off in GT5 is not much to nothing like like real life, depending on the car.

I never trusted the tire calculator data, and I never liked the way sports tire handle in GT5 - it does not feel right to me.

The tyre Calculator is only a rough guide to how stock cars handle regarding lateral g, nothing more. I don't trust it, nor do I distrust it, I just use it as a guide.

Like you, I'm not too keen on Sports Tyres in GT5 either, mainly because of the lack of progressive & predictable slip. But I'd rather use them than drive a car in GT5 that has much less lateral g in game than in real life.

VBR
It could only be determined whether you're right or wrong if we knew definitively either way, & seeing as PD are the only ones who could possibley tell us the truth regarding that, I guess we'll never know!

👍

Agreed 100%. Ideally you should get a close approximation of a stock car without any brake tuning adjustments before any driving aids are engaged. That's assuming ABS in GT5 is similar to TC as a driving aid not as a true depiction of real life ABS.

I never liked the way sports tire handle in GT5 - it does not feel right to me, and I like driving with comfort tires, most cars between 420-600pp - I use CM tires, below 420pp - CH tires. Surely these tires are not for fast lap times, but for more enjoyable lively drive and the additional demand to be smooth :)

I like what your are saying here, as to me , what feels better should be what we are after.

...at the end of the day, the only sure thing is, how does it feel for you.:)

The only problem with what you're saying is that for some people, Racing Softs on a Fiat 500 feels "more enjoyable" & "better". And Like I said before, personal preference doesn't determine what's realistic, whether it's Racing Softs on a Fiat 500, or Comfort Hards on a Ferrari Enzo.

Anyway, we're getting off topic, this thread is about ABS not tyre choice. :D

VBR
You don't know this at all, it's mere speculation at best. You cannot actually see what tyre is being used in the video, or what the ABS setting is in game. Just because the braking in GT5 is very low doesn't mean it represents how hard or far the driver pushed his pedal in real life, or that ABS was enabled or disabled.

All it means is that PD had to manipulate the real life car's data, in order to make the car in GT5 copy it's movements & speed etc. Otherwise they wouldn't need a flashy Data Visualization program at all, they'd just have to feed the data direct from reality into the game, which clearly is not happening here.

Why don't you try to run the GT86 with ABS and try to brake from the same speed and location as in the video, use default BB, then max and min, see if the brake force displayed never reach above 70%.

The way I see it, PD translated the datalogger feed into the game, if they manipulated the feed from real life log, why bother having real life data at all if the run can be "made" life like. The only adjustments to be made in game is disabling all assist ( the assist in GT5 cannot work with real world feed for obvious reason ), applying the correct tire and brake balance to reflect the feed data from real life, this is the part that I really interested in.

I am pretty sure ABS is disabled in the virtual run, even PD should know the ABS assist will interfere with the real life feed, as the feed surely does not differentiate whether the ABS was used in the real car or not - the data logger should work with both ABS and ABSless car. It will just stream brake force input data and braking G's recorded by the real car logger.

Have a look at the way speed increases weirdly at some parts in the track on the virtual view even with full throttle shown on the HUD, that is another proof that GT5 simply translated the data feed. The same goes with steering and braking, the right hairpin braking - you can see the virtual view has the braking force being modulated unlike most ABS driver in game would do.

Just my opinion ;)

I've driven race cars IRL without ABS, & can say that ABS off in GT5 is not much to nothing like like real life, depending on the car.

Again, I would still prefer braking without interference or aid by the game, as the game has unrealistic ABS simulation anyway, it's my preference after all.

The tyre Calculator is only a rough guide to how stock cars handle regarding lateral g, nothing more. I don't trust it, nor do I distrust it, I just use it as a guide.

Like you, I'm not too keen on Sports Tyres in GT5 either, mainly because of the lack of progressive & predictable slip. But I'd rather use them than drive a car in GT5 that has much less lateral g in game than in real life.

If you watched my videos of no ABS run, do you feel that the Viper, Stratos, Maserati or Countach has much less lateral grip and cornering speed than in real life ? I use comfort tires because of preferences for less grip, better control on the limit and ultimately - enjoyment. That is why I never use tire calculator for guide, and I'll use sports or racing tires simply if the situation demands them - online race events or seasonals.

Agreed 100%. Ideally you should get a close approximation of a stock car without any brake tuning adjustments before any driving aids are engaged. That's assuming ABS in GT5 is similar to TC as a driving aid not as a true depiction of real life ABS.

Default BB in GT5 do not even remotely reflect the real car, and ABS is driving aid as in the game preventing the wheel locking up during braking with ABS value to represent how much tire grip is reserved for turning during braking - the higher the value, the more tire grip reserved for turning during braking.

If ABS to be treated as true depiction of real life ABS, GT5 would have the ABS permanently enabled for cars that have it or disabled if the real car do not - no values adjustment either. PD then would have a tuning option to install ABS system or disable it via tuning screen.

Last edited:
VBR
The only problem with what you're saying is that for some people, Racing Softs on a Fiat 500 feels "more enjoyable" & "better". And Like I said before, personal preference doesn't determine what's realistic, whether it's Racing Softs on a Fiat 500, or Comfort Hards on a Ferrari Enzo.

Anyway, we're getting off topic, this thread is about ABS not tyre choice. :D

You are right, we should not confound enjoyable and what feels right.
Right as in more realistic.
It is important to realise that we are not dealing with facts here, but with sensation.
How close are we to the sensation we feel when driving in real life, whatever the cisconstances, when we are pretending we are driving with a simulator.
To go back to your example, with a limited experience of the game, like some one trying it at a friend, the Fiat 500 with Racing Soft will be more enjoyable than with Comfort hard, nothing wrong with that.
It might even feel more like the real life experience of driving a Fiat 500, as in real life, the car is not difficult to drive, but for some one with very limited experience of simulation, driving a Fiat with Comfort Hard might be near impossible without crashing. Garanteed than without all the assist they will not enjoy the game.
In this case the beginner using Racing Soft gets both enjoyable and more realistic, at least from his point of view.
It is the same for all of us, we have to go with what feels right, ie realistic, taking into acount our experience, both with the game and real life, our set up ( type of wheel, pedals, etc....) and adapt the game to fit our reality.

Last edited:
The way I see it, PD translated the datalogger feed into the game,...

I am pretty sure ABS is disabled in the virtual run...

Just my opinion

Like I already said, all your opinion is based on is speculation & assumption, & without being rude I have no interest in either. The truth is that neither of us know how PD have done it, whether they tweak the real life data, the in game data, or even both. Therefore it's pointless to attempt to draw conclusions from baseless supposition, & as a result I withdraw from this discussion. I'll let you have the last word, as it'll most likely be more of the same.

It is important to realise that we are not dealing with facts here, but with sensation.

In this case the beginner using Racing Soft gets both enjoyable and more realistic, at least from his point of view.

...adapt the game to fit our reality.

1) We are dealing with facts, let me explain: The 2012 Fiat 500 Sport pulls about 0.86g IRL (source), so I doubt the older version in GT5 pulls anymore. In GT5, Racing Hards pull about 1.151g, so obviously Racing Softs will be more than that. Therefore, putting Racing Softs on a Fiat 500 will not result in more realism but less, fact.

2) Realism isn't defined by a personal point of view. It's defined by the degree of conformity of the simulation to the thing being simulated, which can be approximately measured, like I showed above.

3) If you wish to adapt the game to fit your reality, go for it. But just remember that your "personal reality" may be quite different from "actual reality", where Fiat 500's on stock tyres don't pull in excess of 1.151g! ;)

👍

Last edited:
I understand your point of view and when we will have a simulation that will let me feel that .86g the same way I can feel it if I was to drive that Fiat in real life, I would even agree with your point of view. To me getting a few meters closer when you are still a thousand miles away, is not worth mesuring yet. So I will content myself feeling good about my progress. For now.:-)

Had off yesterday and ran a bunch of Arcade races with ABS 0 to try it out. Got the lock up issues sorted out after some trial and error. Then started noticing more physics differences.

Weight transfer under heavy braking. Example: braking before entering the chicane at Nurb GP. I've run that track a lot and can jump through there with wild abandon cleanly and fast using a bit of trail braking. Now with ABS 0 I had to get all the braking done in a straight line. Really had to watch myself there as my usual mad dash was now impossible.

What stood out the most was that I'd been relying on what I thought was engine braking to get through that slow track sequence quickly. With ABS 0 that aspect was gone and I had to rely on making sure the cars weight was much, much more level before lifting. Making sure to add enough throttle to keep the car's tires engaged. More like real driving I'm thinking.

Evo IX RM on SM's. All hud off cockpit view. Probably should have run with the hud speedo on to get a better idea of actual speed. Wanted to drive strictly on feel and track visuals. I'll try it again to see just how fast my chicane entry. Been on a track a few times in a stock AP1 S2K and I know slow sectors like that demand a lot of attention lol.

So at least for now I'm having fun with it off. It's making offline Arcade races a lot more interesting without the ability to outbrake the AI with the car off balance.

For those people that think GT5's ABS 1 is closer to real life, you need to consider that in GT5 with ABS 1 you do not need to judge your braking force you only need to judge your braking distance.

This game is meant to be a racing game, and trust me no race car driver just flattens the brakes no matter the corner or speed, with ABS 0 you have to both judge your braking distance and your braking force.

After all you dont drive in real life and just slam the brakes full on into every corner without consequence do you?

...in GT5 with ABS 1 you do not need to judge your braking force you only need to judge your braking distance.

...with ABS 0 you have to both judge your braking distance and your braking force.

That's not absolutely true, at least not with all cars & corners. For instance, try using 100% braking force going into turn 1 on Daytona Road in a stock Lotus Elise 111R on Sports Hard tyres with ABS set to 1. You'll quickly realise that this car benefits far more from about 75%-80% braking force going into that corner. Trail braking is something that can be done in real life, however, with ABS off in GT5 it becomes all but impossible, making the experience less realistic.

Anyway, it's incredibly difficult to judge braking force when your pedal set only has a spring in it & creates the same pressure all the way down, you can only judge pedal travel which is not realistic either. Even with The Nixim Mod V2 installed & low Brake Balance settings, I still cannot feel enough pressure to be able to modulate it realistically. I had no such problems at all when driving a Cateram 7 Superlight with no ABS at a Palmer Sport trackday, it was very easy to avoid lock up as the brake pedal was stiff. I only locked up once in 16 laps, & that was the first time I used the brakes.

I don't believe that ABS in GT5 is modelled too well either, but to me it feels more realistic with ABS set to 1 than with it off, at least with certain cars. It's not entirely realistic with it on or off, so take your pick & just enjoy the game!

I am praying that in the next part of Gran Turismo PD will include "Simulation" Mode in GT Life where ALL physics are precalculated and assists are non-adjustable PLUS cars will be equipped with tires similar to real life and we can not change nothing in this mode.
Of course, it can not be done with 1000 cars, but at least 100 - 200 must satisfy most of our needs.
Moreover, I wish real life racers (S**g) could do some work for game and we will be offered to race against them on same virtual tracks with certan terms regarding cars to be allowed. I mean we do not have to search and choose tires and assists to be close to thier times on track, I would like PD to semulate the real car, so we can even be faster.
I don't like the idea when I have to downgrade my tires to match lap time, I whant to see how close the game's time to real lifecan be if I feel nor fear neither physical contact with a car. Thanks.

Latest Posts

Back