ABS 0 community where are you???

To add : we could have prerecorded lap done by real professional drivers like Tsuchiya-san, Nakaya-san or Gan-san on certain tracks like Tsukuba driving various sports car (Best Motoring anyone?) This is where datalogger features comes in, a challenge mode to beat real laps in GT :) We can also learn from their run represented in the game from the datalogger feed.

Sorry for offtop but isn't driver's weight (75 average) already added to EVERY car's weight.
I used to add some ballast everytime but I found some info that every??? single car comes with weight wich includes those 75 kg. Is that true? ( and some fuel in the tank)

Not sure on driver weight, about the fuel, the only way to find out is to run without fuel consumption, then do another run with fuel until it's almost dried out, if there's performance difference due to lesser weight, we have our answer.

I never actually test this, interesting question by the way.

The cars' listed weights vary widely. Some are about right, some are less than they should be, some are much more than they should be. Some of this could probably be explained by average driver weight, fuel weight, other fluids and so on, but of course all cars weight should be set to the same exact standard. I'm pretty sure some can't be explained by any "sensible" adjustment like that either.

However, accuracy to real-world data aside, there is no real way to know whether fuel and/or driver weight is added to that listed weight when you leave the menu screens and enter the track without asking PD. The only thing we know for sure is that the level of fuel in the tank does affect on-track performance in at least roughly the way you would expect.

...you need to consider that in GT5 with ABS 1 you do not need to judge your braking force you only need to judge your braking distance.

This game is meant to be a racing game, and trust me no race car driver just flattens the brakes no matter the corner or speed, with ABS 0 you have to both judge your braking distance and your braking force.

After all you dont drive in real life and just slam the brakes full on into every corner without consequence do you?

CJS, I totally agree with you, this statement gives a good indication on why, once you find the right brake balance, it is so addictive to drive with ABS 0.
More demanding, but also more rewarding and definitevely closer to real life driving/racing:tup:

Hey guys, I have some input on the whole ABS thing, I used to have it turned off all the time cause I thought it's how a race driver would use it but unlike no traction control there is no potential advantage to having abs turned off, it only makes it more difficult to control and requires much more concentration.

It became really frustrating and just way to difficult to control. So recently I started playing the game again an put ABS back on 1, which I think feels alot better And how a car would normally work in this day and age.

To me it just feels like a disadvantage in racing. But dont most race car drivers have an ABS of some sort? Or maybe do some people and cars not use it. Benefits?? drawbacks? Like what are some of your reasons why you don't have ABS

Just wondering if anyone had any comments to this, thanks so much

I used ABS=Off as you are so much more active as you drive a lap. You have more chance per lap to make mistakes, and try to minimise the lost time as you catch a slide, balance the car or whatever.

With ABS= On alot of this workload is removed - which I guess means a driver can focus on other things rather than balancing his car into every brake zone - if you know your car is stable you can be looking up the road - focusing on the exit of a corner, whereas a duff ABS=0 driver tends to be flailing about mid corner getting the car to behave.

The limit is there in all races, but ABS=0 just makes things more busy for you, but some racers like to feel they took a wild car and they were the one who tamed it to do a fast clean lap/race.

Every driver has the option to turn it on or off, Just like you can jump over curbs, bash doorhandles, bolt on a turbo or slip on a comfy set of Race Softy Slippers.

Personally I find driving with ABS on is a much more gentle pursuit of an afternoon. The game flatters you as you pile into a corner and stomp on the brakes - perfectly every time. But it takes away that "got to catch this" moment when you lock up or feel the back of the car try to swap ends on you.

All these moments will be gone in time, like tears in rain...

but until then, ABS stays off.

Last edited:
Ryk, what you said about the car's balance is where you really, really notice it. Half the time I'm not realizing how fast I'm going. My perception of GT5 especially in cockpit view is way skewed toward slow motion. Not that much wind noise etc... If I was in a real car slowing from over 150 mph in threshold brake mode and then suddenly lifted off the brakes entering a 90 degree turn... well hello hospital.

Funny post, BTW heh.

KingofMGS
Hey guys, I have some input on the whole ABS thing, I used to have it turned off all the time cause I thought it's how a race driver would use it but unlike no traction control there is no potential advantage to having abs turned off, it only makes it more difficult to control and requires much more concentration.

It became really frustrating and just way to difficult to control. So recently I started playing the game again an put ABS back on 1, which I think feels alot better And how a car would normally work in this day and age.

To me it just feels like a disadvantage in racing. But dont most race car drivers have an ABS of some sort? Or maybe do some people and cars not use it. Benefits?? drawbacks? Like what are some of your reasons why you don't have ABS

Just wondering if anyone had any comments to this, thanks so much

I have a few comments for you, play GT5 the way you enjoy it most. Do not worry about the way it should be played in relation to real car or real racer.
Most ABS 0 GT5 addict drive that way because they enjoy it, not to prove anything.
ABS in GT5 should be called Brake Assist, because it does not operate like ABS operate on a real car.

Last edited:
Interesting debate so far . I don't drive ABS 0 all of the time , but when i'm looking for some realistic braking , I do .

The features we need to see in the next iteration of GT are brake temperatures and maybe a bit of brake fade also . This is meant to be a driving / racing simulator after all ...

I ran an online friends lobby Acura NSX racing championship a long time ago , we used racing softs ( to help less experienced guys enjoy the racing also ) , plus everyone was using ABS 1 .

I've got an awesome picture of me locking the front right , whilst using racing soft and ABS 1 , under heavy braking at Grand Valley Speedway . So the ABS setting , even at it's lowest setting can cause lock ups ....

243375_212244072141759_7465776_o.jpg

Which way is quicker out of curiosity ? ABS or non ABS ? Have you guys tested this yet ?

Cote Dazur
I have a few comments for you, play GT5 the way you enjoy it most. Do not worry about the way it should be played in relation to real car or real racer.
Most ABS 0 GT5 addict drive that way because they enjoy it, not to prove anything.
ABS in GT5 should be called Brake Assist, because it does not operate like ABS operate on a real car.

Thanks yo! Ya I just got the G27 and its just so much more rewarding to have the ABS on as I gain my experience with the wheel, in the future I'll start shuffling the ABS on an off an learn the differences, but that's not until I get fully comfortable with my new wheel. Ya thanks for pointing out the ABS is really just a brake assist, now it makes alot more sense. Ya man thanks for the info :D that helped alot

Interesting debate so far . I don't drive ABS 0 all of the time , but when i'm looking for some realistic braking , I do .

The features we need to see in the next iteration of GT are brake temperatures and maybe a bit of brake fade also . This is meant to be a driving / racing simulator after all ...

I ran an online friends lobby Acura NSX racing championship a long time ago , we used racing softs ( to help less experienced guys enjoy the racing also ) , plus everyone was using ABS 1 .

I've got an awesome picture of me locking the front right , whilst using racing soft and ABS 1 , under heavy braking at Grand Valley Speedway . So the ABS setting , even at it's lowest setting can cause lock ups ....

243375_212244072141759_7465776_o.jpg

Which way is quicker out of curiosity ? ABS or non ABS ? Have you guys tested this yet ?

Are you sure that's lock up? Not just going to hot into the corner? :odd:

For the majority of race tracks I don't think there is much difference between on and off in lap time (if you are practised with no ABS and have a stable car). However ABS on is more consistent and neuters the unstable braking characteristic of some cars. 👍

The only way to see if a lock up occurs is to watch the replay when the suspected event occur, if the wheel stop turning and there will be black tire marks on the track surface - definite lock up, otherwise it's just overheated tire. And another thing, when a unattended lock up occur in GT5, the car will lose balance and control, that does not happen ever when ABS is enabled ( mostly would be understeer if brake too late )

Looks like a SRF smoke cloud in my opinion, as the front tyre has overheated but being forced to maintain full grip (or even more than 100% grip) due to the Skid Recovery Force's err... force, in addition to the wheel appearing to still be spinning.

The black line is also a perfectly smooth curve much like the black lines left by SRF when in action. Surely a lock up would be much straighter?

In normal cases where you're heading into a corner too hot and would understeer horribly, SRF adds extra (and physically impossible) grip to greatly assist you around the corner, thus taking the tyre well beyond it's designed grip limit and hence, large clouds of smoke and perfectly smooth black lines (especially from the front outside tyre).

On a tight course, you can easily keep the tyre icon in the red yet maintain a perfect racing line, and essentially paint the racing line on to the road with the resulting tyre marks.

No wonder when I am in shuffle rooms, the cars that uses SRF often do weird cornering move, looks erratic at times and in greater speed than normal.

It's been some weeks now that I've gone antilockless. It's for a number of reasons. Chief among which is the kind of petty self-satisfaction I feel when I get a decent result against antilockers. :)

Yes, using a controller, it does pose a slight performance disadvantage, but also an extra challenge. I always felt that the racing simulation experience was a little diluted by the ability to simply slam on the anchors (like literally pressing a button) and have the car slow down smoothly, when in real life it's never that simple. Furthermore, as I've grown used to it, my own racing has become markedly safer and cleaner, as I'm forced to pay more attention and brake earlier and more consciously than other people.

Depending on the balance of the car, I like to use 3:2, 3:1, 4:2, or 4:1 brake balance. The default 5:5 is usable, but is often too disadvantageous, especially with regards to excessive rear tyre wear.

It'd be great to see more people taking the plunge, but not half as great to see more people (especially in public lobbies) racing more cleanly regardless of their settings.

Have any of you guys played any PC sims? Curious to see how braking in iracing, pcars or others compare to ABS 0 in GT5. I know they have a much more advanced tire model.

Fancy some non ABS gt500 racing? I have a room open titled SUPER GT500 no ABS

# 1472-6681-3158-0098-9524

Have any of you guys played any PC sims? Curious to see how braking in iracing, pcars or others compare to ABS 0 in GT5. I know they have a much more advanced tire model.

I've played a lot of Live for Speed and braking doesn't feel much different. With its more advanced tire model you can feel individual wheels locking but the feel from a gaming perspective is the same, similar brake modulation required. Since you can fine tune brake settings much more precisely in LFS, you can easily tune the brakes not to lock if you press them hard at high speed, but at lower speeds you have to pay attention not to lock them.

Last edited:
I don't use SRF folks , I'll recheck the replay at some point to check for wheel rotation also . To the best of my knowledge at the time this was a lock up

I have played, IRacing and Netkar, both considered serious Sim Racing, and both are a lot closer to ABS 0 than ABS1 when it comes to braking. Actualy anyone having issues braking with ABS 0 will find braking in either PC sim very challenging.

Last edited:
I've played the old Geoff Crammond's GP3 on PC with T2 wheel/pedal, it's about the same with GT5 ABS 0. Although GP3 is more unforgiving when the wheel locked up.

I don't use SRF folks , I'll recheck the replay at some point to check for wheel rotation also . To the best of my knowledge at the time this was a lock up

Doesn't look like SRF to me - I don't use aids at all and I smoke the front outside tire all the time if I take a corner really hard. Usually it's the front inside tire that locks up under braking with no ABS, you'll see it turn red on the gauge. Or if you jump into the Karrussel, the front left gets air and stops rotating for a second, pretty cool (linked below ;)

There's a great thread for no-ABS pics like this:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=7392710#post7392710

Also, every GT5 upload I've done since May or so has been with no ABS, even some S Licenses:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FormulaKimball

I have raced with no Abs since i got this game about 8 months ago,upon trying Abs "1" about a week ago,i was shocked at the difference between them,it feels as if there is a buffer placed over the whole physics engine,removing all the sharpness from your inputs to it's outputs.

I do think a decent wheel and pedal combo also makes a big difference aswell,i am lucky enough to have clubsport's and fanatec,which helps lots,making it easier to pick the differences between abs 1 or Off.

Last edited:
Since I'm one of those unskilled people that use ABS 1, I can tell you that, at that setting, I have never had brake lock-up. I have watched several of my replays and even under the hardest of braking, ABS 1 doesn't lock up the brakes. Just my unscientific and poorly skilled input.

CJSpencer77
ABS 0 community where are you?

Here I am.

I drove with all aids off, including ABS 0, but it seems few players had the stones for ABS 0. At best they did ABS 1 and pretended it was like running no ABS, but they were really just lying to themselves to feel like they were really hardcore. ABS 1 is still ABS.

At best they did ABS 1 and pretended it was like running no ABS, but they were really just lying to themselves to feel like they were really hardcore. ABS 1 is still ABS.

Exactly. Running ABS higher than 1 is completely senseless so the limit is 1 to 0, you either use it or don't. :)

I have been out of the scene for a while now, haven't been playing at all in the last few months, but I'm glad to say the ABS 0 scene isn't dead.

Just yesterday I found a brilliant room with many talented non ABS drivers. During the week it was much more difficult to find good rooms, but I guess the weekend brings the better guys around.

If there's people willing, maybe we could host a room and people from this thread could join. At least that way we'd all be on the same page, so to speak. :)

I am still finding way to fix the update error on my GT5, once that is done, I'll announce here every time I open a room for practice or race :) For now I am playing MGS4 all over again - let the good times roll.

Here I am.

I drove with all aids off, including ABS 0, but it seems few players had the stones for ABS 0. At best they did ABS 1 and pretended it was like running no ABS, but they were really just lying to themselves to feel like they were really hardcore. ABS 1 is still ABS.

I don't have the "stones", as you say, for those that use ABS 0. And no, I'm not lying to myself for using ABS 1. Its more like you guys look down upon us that use ABS 1. Yes, I know I'm nowhere as good as you guys but its how I choose to play the game. What I am getting tired of tho is how you guys think you are far more superior to us that use ABS and trying to speak for us and our reasons for using it. I know plenty of fast guys that use ABS 1. Its just a preference and on the whole, using no ABS does not make you any better than those that do.

Latest Posts

Back