America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,707 comments
Arnie should totally have been the first celebrity president.

Is he not ineligible due to being foreign-born even though he (assumedly) has US citizenship?

---

Also, we're half a month past that milestone but I did read an article the other day about some "promises" which were to be fulfilled during President Pumpkin's first 100 days. It's actually hard to go through all of them due to the minutia of splitting hairs but several big ones which have yet to be fulfilled:

- Have a plan to beat ISIS within 30 days
- Introduce term limits for Congressmen
- Label China a currency manipulator; instead he shied away from the issue and tweeted "Why would I call China a currency manipulator when they are working with us on North Korea?" Sean Spicer later clarified that 'China has not been manipulating currency since Trump became President'.
- Identify trade abuses by foreign businesses
- Lift restrictions on non-renewable fossil fuel reserves
- Cancel US payments to United Nations Climate Change schemes
- Suspend travel from terror-prone nations
- Immediately repeal and replace ACA

Those are the broken promises. Promises which haven't been broken and have successfully been introduced:

- Withold federal funding from sanctuary cities
- Appoint a new Supreme Court judge
- Approval of the Keystone pipeline
- Begin US withdrawal from the trans-Pacific partnership
- 'Consider renegotiating' the North American free-trade agreement
- 5-year ban on White House officials becoming lobbyists
- Ban on White House officials lobbying for foreign governments
- A hiring freeze on federal staff in the Executive branch
- For every new regulation passed, two are to be repealled

Source: heavy.com

Some rather large ones unfulfilled there. Almost like he's a lying sack of garbage or he is finding the job is tougher than he thought; must be a reason for all those golf trips. Bad!

Maybe Trump does have a plan for ISIS, but Russia just hasn't announced it yet.
Putin says that he can prove Trump didn't pass intelligence on:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-17/donald-trump-did-not-pass-russia-secrets-putin-says/8534898

Meanwhile, a former Israeli intelligence officer says that it is plausible that the Israelis have managed to place an agent inside the ISIS hierachy, but if they somehow managed it, then there's only one source - and that if Trump compromised that source, then they are in danger and nobody will get a chance to place another agent inside the organisation again.

When it comes to intelligence, the Israelis aren't saying anything, but they are concerned about what might happen if Trump continues to disclose intelligence:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-...k-alarms-israeli-intelligence-experts/8534898
It's funny that the one guy who is legally empowered to disclose intelligence is pilloried, while at the same time intelligence leaks are gushing all over the place, and leakers run loose or are set free, like Chelsea Manning. Except for Seth Rich, who was double-tapped in the back (by John Podesta?)

What is socially acceptable in important areas of behavior and activity is different than what it was, and is still changing.

Last edited:
Is he not ineligible due to being foreign-born even though he (assumedly) has US citizenship?

---

Also, we're half a month past that milestone but I did read an article the other day about some "promises" which were to be fulfilled during President Pumpkin's first 100 days. It's actually hard to go through all of them due to the minutia of splitting hairs but several big ones which have yet to be fulfilled:

- Have a plan to beat ISIS within 30 days
- Introduce term limits for Congressmen
- Label China a currency manipulator; instead he shied away from the issue and tweeted "Why would I call China a currency manipulator when they are working with us on North Korea?" Sean Spicer later clarified that 'China has not been manipulating currency since Trump became President'.
- Identify trade abuses by foreign businesses
- Lift restrictions on non-renewable fossil fuel reserves
- Cancel US payments to United Nations Climate Change schemes
- Suspend travel from terror-prone nations
- Immediately repeal and replace ACA

Those are the broken promises. Promises which haven't been broken and have successfully been introduced:

- Withold federal funding from sanctuary cities
- Appoint a new Supreme Court judge
- Approval of the Keystone pipeline
- Begin US withdrawal from the trans-Pacific partnership
- 'Consider renegotiating' the North American free-trade agreement
- 5-year ban on White House officials becoming lobbyists
- Ban on White House officials lobbying for foreign governments
- A hiring freeze on federal staff in the Executive branch
- For every new regulation passed, two are to be repealled

Source: heavy.com

Some rather large ones unfulfilled there. Almost like he's a lying sack of garbage or he is finding the job is tougher than he thought; must be a reason for all those golf trips. Bad!
In other words, he's completed half the list and at least made an effort on some of the others. I can't why that isn't positive, even if it isn't perfect.

It's funny that the one guy who is legally empowered to disclose intelligence is pilloried
Just because you're legally empowered to, that doesn't mean that it's a good idea. In the worst-case scenario, Trump compromised an invaluable source embedded within the ISIS hierachy and working on behalf of another government; in doing so, he would have damaged the relationship with said other government, dissuading them from further co-operation in intelligence matters and destroying any chance of placing another source within ISIS. While he might have the legal recourse to reveal the existencd of said source, doing so wasn't a particularly wise idea, and given the stakes involved, having said legal recourse does not automatically justify the act.

leakers run loose or are set free, like Chelsea Manning
Manning completed her sentence. As far as the legal system is concerned, her debt to society has been repaid. She cannot be locked up again because it is politically convenient to do so.

I can't why that isn't positive
Because not all policies are equal. There's a big difference between defeating ISIS in thirty days and considering the renegotiation of NAFTA. Successfully considering renegotiation doesn't make up for the failure to defeat ISIS.

In other words, he's completed half the list and at least made an effort on some of the others. I can't why that isn't positive, even if it isn't perfect.

It's half of a non-comprehensive list I found from the first or second Google search. If you're talking number of promises, Trumptracker seems to feel that only 8 of his 100 days promises have been fulfilled with more than treble that figure (29) labelled broken promises and two labelled a "compromise".

But to be honest, quality of promises delivered is more important than the quantity of promises delivered as PM outlined at the end of his post above mine.

It's half of a non-comprehensive list I found from the first or second Google search. If you're talking number of promises, Trumptracker seems to feel that only 8 of his 100 days promises have been fulfilled with more than treble that figure (29) labelled broken promises and two labelled a "compromise".

But to be honest, quality of promises delivered is more important than the quantity of promises delivered as PM outlined at the end of his post above mine.
At the end of day, he promised peace and prosperity. Achieve that and all is forgiven. Bring us poverty and war, and you're perpetually a heel.

Correct. He is technically ineligible, so he will almost certainly never be president. Still, as politicians go I'd say Arnie is a decent one despite his stardom, and he couldn't really have been worse than Trump. Stereotypes about bodybuilding notwithstanding, he is an incredibly intelligent man and seems to genuinely give a 🤬 about people. I think as long as someone has those qualities then they'll probably be OK as a politician, whether you agree with them or not.

Unfortunately Trump seems to be neither. I wondered for a while if it was an act designed to appeal to certain groups, or whether he was like Dubya who didn't seem to be the sharpest tool in the shed but was nonetheless practical and charismatic and employed intelligent people to do what he couldn't. In the end I don't think either fit, Trump seems to be a genuinely clueless and arrogant man who has stumbled his way into modest success on the back of a family fortune and a lot of failure.

His greatest skill seems to be telling people what they want to hear, which as a leader is possibly not the most important skill to have, particularly when you can't turn it off.

Still, as politicians go I'd say Arnie is a decent one despite his stardom, and he couldn't really have been worse than Trump.
You must have missed him being governor of California. He'll never see another day in politics.

Just because you're legally empowered to, that doesn't mean that it's a good idea. In the worst-case scenario, Trump compromised an invaluable source embedded within the ISIS hierachy and working on behalf of another government; in doing so, he would have damaged the relationship with said other government, dissuading them from further co-operation in intelligence matters and destroying any chance of placing another source within ISIS. While he might have the legal recourse to reveal the existencd of said source, doing so wasn't a particularly wise idea, and given the stakes involved, having said legal recourse does not automatically justify the act.
"Worst case scenario" means we don't know for certain who or what was comprimised, if anything. At this point it's all rumours and speculation unless you have a source to prove different.

I find it particularly funny the hysteria surrounding the 100 day report card. I don't recall this type of focus on any other President.

Oh really? Rather a broad generalization, don't you think? Not to mention what seems to me to be an AUP violation?

... and some, I assume, are good people.

There, does that make it feel better? :)

Broad (& hyperbolic) generalizations have been the stock-in-trade of candidate Trump & President Trump. Illegal immigrants are "rapists & murderers", the MSM is the "enemy of the American people", NAFTA is the "worst trade deal ever signed anywhere", etc. etc. Thoughtful analysis, careful consideration & restraint - these seem to be completely alien concepts to Trump.

Broad (& hyperbolic) generalizations have been the stock-in-trade of candidate Trump & President Trump. Illegal immigrants are "rapists & murderers", the MSM is the "enemy of the American people", NAFTA is the "worst trade deal ever signed anywhere", etc. etc. Thoughtful analysis, careful consideration & restraint - these seem to be completely alien concepts to Trump.
Trump didn't agree to the AUP. You did.

So your justification is, "he did it so I can do it"? Sounds very Trumplike to me, perhaps he's rubbing off on you.

I find it particularly funny the hysteria surrounding the 100 day report card. I don't recall this type of focus on any other President.

I don't think any other President made quite as much grandstanding and hot-dogging during their campaign. Especially with how they were gonna do it. Trust me. It's already done. We're gonna do it and it's gonna be yuge. Immediately.

I don't think any other President made quite as much grandstanding and hot-dogging during their campaign. Especially with how they were gonna do it. Trust me. It's already done. We're gonna do it and it's gonna be yuge. Immediately.

Perhaps a gentleman does not discuss the presidential hot dog.

bill-eye.jpg

I completely agree with your sentiment btw, just couldn't resist the joke.

Yeah, I can't see why a politician not delivering on half three quarters a lot of the 100-day promises they made to help them get elected isn't a postive thing, either.........

Last edited:
Yeah, I can't see why a politician not delivering on half three quarters a lot of the 100-day promises they made to help them get elected isn't a postive thing, either.........
Is it? What do you compare it to? Other politicians? Perfection? What is the going rate for promises kept in the first 100 days? I stopped believing in politicians keeping 100% of their campaign promises when I was 13 and Trudeau won the PM job by mocking Robert Stanfield and said the sky would fall when Stanfield suggested Canada needed wage and price controls to combat rising inflation. Trudeau won the election in large part because of his opposition to that highly unpopular issue and then promptly introduced wage and price controls the following year. No politician keeps all their promises, most of us know that a lot of it is campaign rhetoric. But I see he's at least making the effort to get some things done and that deserves credit whether you like the guy or not or agree with what he's trying to do.

But I see he's at least making the effort to get some things done and that deserves credit whether you like the guy or not or agree with what he's trying to do.

...and you know I agree with that too. However you also have to admit the point that Trump brought upon himself a standard that is a step beyond what others have done, because he portrayed himself as an outsider who would not abandon his promises. So on the one hand I don't think it's fair to hold him to every single campaign promise when most politicians aren't held to any. On the other hand, it's also fair to point out that he brought extra scrutiny on himself in this particular area.

It's funny that the one guy who is legally empowered to disclose intelligence is pilloried
The best part about this is that Obama made an executive order allowing the President to disclose such information.
Specifically, Executive order 13526 of Jan. 2010:

"This order prescribes a uniform system for classifying, safeguarding, and declassifying national security information, including information relating to defense against transnational terrorism. Our democratic principles require that the American people be informed of the activities of their Government. Also, our Nation's progress depends on the free flow of information both within the Government and to the American people. Nevertheless, throughout our history, the national defense has required that certain information be maintained in confidence in order to protect our citizens, our democratic institutions, our homeland security, and our interactions with foreign nations. Protecting information critical to our Nation's security and demonstrating our commitment to open Government through accurate and accountable application of classification standards and routine, secure, and effective declassification are equally important priorities."

Also, who the hell are these "anonymous sources" that recent news articles keep on quoting? Is that old hacker clan back at it again?

The best part about this is that Obama made an executive order allowing the President to disclose such information.

How is that relevant? I don't think anybody is trying to make the argument that this was illegal; It seems pretty clear that it wasn't.

The problem is one of judgement; allowing that information to slip shows that Trump didn't understand the value of the intelligence, of protecting the source, of honoring a source's wishes as to how their intelligence is shared, of the consequences of sharing it, etc.

Reports that he constantly ignores advice from the State Department about what to discuss and not to discuss in such meetings show that he's surrounded by folks who do understand all of those things, and chooses to ignore them.

It's particularly galling that he spent the entire election slamming Hillary's mishandling of classified material, and then does this.

It's particularly galling that he spent the entire election slamming Hillary's mishandling of classified material, and then does this.

Just to be clear, what she did was illegal and represented a much larger breach of security... but yea, we're careful with classified data for a reason (for many reasons). It's not wise to throw it around.

Back