American Trans Am Series Season III

• Thread starter Kalmiya117
  • 563 comments
I hear ya. Although I did download the free one, but it was because I love racing the Super GT cars, and the selection is somewhat limited.

I'm doing my best, but I may be a little late tonight... I'm helping my daughter give a pumpkin a lobotomy at the moment. I'll do what I can to have the room set up by 8:00.

Limited selection?

If you don't make it by then, I'll go ahead & get it started.
A lobotomy. Nice. What's it called when you blow one up with a 12 gauge at point blank? Because that's what I did yesterday.

Ok, all caught up, room is open.

By limited selection I just mean when your racing Super GT 500 class, there's always a duplicate of your car in the room.

Lookie what I got.
SanGalganoAbbey_2-1.jpg

SanGalganoAbbey_4.jpg

SanGalganoAbbey_3.jpg

And, for those wondering it is fun. Yet to really test it. I have it shared. Unsure if it will do well in Group I modern. Need testing done.

Last edited:
My initial thought seems like the Challenger TC a little slower then everything else in MG1. But then again, there has been very little practice/test time with it.

I really do like Spa, and I think it should be substituted into the schedule.

I have yet to purchase this DLC. I had issues with the credit card, and now I'm locked out for a few days. Frustrating. Maybe next week.

With the restrictions we use in MG1, the ZR1 and the 'SS both easily pulled ahead of the Chally in the straits. I think with more time on it could possibly make up for it with handling, but it's gonna take some work.

I'm pretty sure that if those of us that have the DLC just set our lounge up to open with Spa, then anyone can just use our lounge to practice there.

With the restrictions we use in MG1, the ZR1 and the 'SS both easily pulled ahead of the Chally in the straits. I think with more time on it could possibly make up for it with handling, but it's gonna take some work.

I'm pretty sure that if those of us that have the DLC just set our lounge up to open with Spa, then anyone can just use our lounge to practice there.

As long as the host has it anyone can run it. It's just like the created tracks.
I have a lobby open now for those online/interested btw.

And I should be back to running this Sunday after my lengthy hiatus.
What track/cars are we using?

We are scheduled to race Monza, using MG1/VG2.

I understand that the host can load the DLC tracks for anyone in the room, but I believe you can also set your lounge settings to open with Spa loaded, allowing anyone on your friends list to open your lounge and race Spa, wether they have the DLC or not.

Any thoughts to what track we should substitute if at all?
It's a toss up for me, since I happen to like all the remaining tracks except for Nurb GP, but I know that isn't going anywhere.

I suggest Fujii or Suzuka.

I am still working on the Challenger TC, regardless I would run it. I believe the fact is is heavier still is the factor in it being slow, however I know I could easily outrun it in the GT LM.

The easy way around this is to give the heavier cars, little more HP. Aka, set the rules have everyone enter, than reset rules to the higher hp for the selected cars and have them enter. How much HP is the question. This way the Ford Falcon and Challenger could run and be competitive.

Also, I will be there Sunday!

At the beginning of this season I hated all of the upcoming tracks, as I practice on them they have grown on me. My choice of track to trade would be Fuji.

Giving the heavier or slower cars more HP is pretty much what the PP limiting system would accomplish, I would think. Having different limits on cars in one class seems a little complicated to me, but other then that I don't see any problems with it.

I'm leaning towards eliminating Fuji as well.. Only because it's very easy to accidentally short cut in a few places or take ridiculously wide corners.

I've looked at other series to see what they're up to, and none of them use the pp system. Every car has it's own hp/weight restrictions. Some even go as far as what modifications you can do, wing adjustments, & tire compound for each car. This is way over the top of what we want to do.
I wouldn't have a problem allowing some cars more hp then others if that allows more variety. Tough to regulate, but I trust everyone in this series.

Another option is to, instead of making slower cars faster, make the faster cars slower. i.e. up the weight restrictions. But 1,300 kg is quite high as it is.

If we are going to run different 'tiers' in the restrictions, I think Kal has the right idea for it. Setting up room HP limit, enter tier 1 cars, raise the HP limit while making sure no one exits then enter tier 2 cars. That's the simplest and best way to regulate it, I think. We just have to figure out the second HP limit. I would say wait at least a week so we can get the new Chally dialed in a little, then we test it at different HP levels against the Vette and Camaro.

Adding a thought, if we run multi-tier HP limits, could we combine modern and vintage cars for Group 1? That's worth testing, and it would make an incredible photo op at the least.

Last edited:
I'm loving that new Challenger, and a surprise for me, the Mazda Miata TC (not a muscle car I know, but still :D)

Back on topic, my vote would be swap Spa with Fuji and then implement the Kal's proposed tier system.

The tier idea just needs testing. I would think easy way to test, is drag racing the challenger and falcon against the corvette and camaro ss.

First, drag the camaro ss against the vette, note any differences and how much. Then use the challenger and falcon and adjust the HP until the two cars can pull about the same as the ss and vette but not necessarily beat them.

Or just look at the Power-to-Weight-Ratios and get them all to match with the faster cars and adjust each car's HP accordingly. Not to complicated, I trust everyone. This idea is successful in JL's VSCS.

The American Trans Am Series presents: Muscle Car Tunnel Drags! Tonight Only! :cool:

How about using PP as a reference? I know the Camaro & most of the other cars are around 633. Adjust the power on Falcon & Challenger until it's around there and see what happens. That's a good place to start anyway. Having all the cars go in a straight line equally does not make them equal.

Let me know how the tunnel drags go. I'll be in Reno tonight.

So I looked at all the Kg/Hp ratios, (thanks for the idea crazy, forgot about hat nift detail info!) and all the wieghted car such as the vettes, camaros, ford GT etc etc have a ratio of 2.01 kg / hp

To match the 2.01 ratio on the Challenger and Falcom I raised the HP until they were dead on, or close.

Challenger TC : 628hp 1258 kg 2.01 kg/hp
Falcon XR8 : 658hp 1350 kg 2.02 kg/hp

Of course this needs testing. The falcon is tuned, Still playing with the Challenger. Right now not having LSD settings is making it bit rough. I will host a room tonight for testing if one of you don't already ahve one.

Like to also thank everyone on helping and being compliant about making the cars more even and having the tune, and driver make the win. I believe even with the more advancements in out restctions, and setings this group is still way way less stict and easy to do than most others.lows for some cars be a bit beter due to design, which is what racing is about, having the right car, tune and driver.

Threads been quiet, don't forget there IS a race tonight, everyone. We should be at Monza running Group 2 Vintage and Group 1 Modern. To be honest, I havn't even tried the Vintage cars there, but the MG1 cars were designed for this track, it should be a very good race. See you all there!

Thaks Mudd.
We also expect everyone to not cut the corners. Do your best to keep at least 2 tires on the track at all times.

Yea, I was practicing there earlier and started thinking about those corners. It's very difficult to keep from pushing the boundaries there, track is so fast and those corners are so sharp. Just try to remember that "track surface" is defined as "the road surface IN-BETWEEN the solid white stripes". That means most of the green concrete is NOT legal race surface. Keeping at least two wheels inside the white lines is what is expected tonight. Just try to remember your approach to those two tight spots, and it's no problem shooting through clean.

Good racing last night everyone. I was worried for a while we weren't going to get the 2nd race started. Season 1 flashbacks.

The scoreboard should update soon.

How was everyone's tire situation in the G1 race?
I'm starting to reconsider the mandatory pit stop idea. I originally wanted to do it because in Vintage race cars, some can make it 50 laps while other only 10 in the spirit of trying to make more cars competitive. It's still a good idea if the pit stops weren't glitched half the time. Maybe it's just me. Maybe I should slow my ass down entering pits.

I kinda don't like a mandatory pit. As I was in 4th place and could of easily taken 4th but due to g@y rules which are pointless in MG1 I came in 7th because of the mandatory pit. It's part of strategy which is part of racing. Mandatory pit made sense for VG1. And I was running handicapped in the SRT8 TC with only 608hp but no worries, I still like that car. But would have liked the extra 30hp Kal was talking about. And Skeletor you hate pit glitches? Thats IRL, pit penalties. They have added pit penalties to Daytona, they require a drive through penalty now. So I don't want to hear you complain until you are really kicked in the balls.

. . . . I'm just going to let that one go.

If none of the cars we are running have major tire wear issues like some of the cars in Vintage class, then the question would be:
Do we want to have 'pit strategy' or 'tire wear strategy'?

Well, if I recall correctly, the Mandatory Pit rule was only implemented because the '69 Z28 RM had such an extreme tire wear advantage. I don't believe any of the modern cars show that type of advantage, so I'm forced to agree that the mandatory pit is unnecessary.

Add: By the way, a thread popped up this morning discussing an abundance of PSN outages with 'service maintenance' messages occurring last night and this morning. I think that would explain our race start issue.

Last edited:
If you guys do not want a mandatory pit that's fine.m I do know regardless I would have had to pit anyways at some point.

And as far the a pit glitch I do not believe there is none, just have to make sure your below 50 when you enter it. I lost a race to titus at Trial Mountain before I knew this because of this.

ON another note, do you guys care if the Results are posted in the form they are? Or is Skels cards good enough. Kinda annoying typing out all that stuff everytime and getting the font/spacing/code just right.

Well, I definately used up some tires in my ZR1, at lap 11 and at the end. I was also going all-out the entire time, charging after any little blip on my map screen. I'm not really sure if I can make it an entire race on one set, so I'm kinda on the fence about having manditory. But, I'm more then willing to try it out and see what happens.

The posted standings on the front page are all I look for each Monday, I've got the replay at home that shows the finish order.

I was boarder line on needing to pit regardless, but I think I could have made it. It's not just the penalties, which I can deal with, but sometimes other dumb stuff happens too. I would like to try without it. Seem like the actual race cars have a slight advantage over the RM cars, more downforce is one example. Maybe this will help the balance if the race cars are a little harder on tires.

How was everyone else doing on tires?

Kal, I'd rather see some uploading of photos from each week. I can live without knowing the time separation for each race.

Back