Assetto Corsa | News and General Discussion

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 10,320 comments
If they didn't laser scan everything those other tracks would be possible. But it doesn't make financial sense to go to cost of laser scanning if it's a track that the majority of people won't care about or want to buy. Some of the tracks aren't that common though, I'd never encountered Vallelunga, Magione, or Mugello in games before and I only know
Zandvoort from R3E, so it's not all the same old same old. I'd be totally fine with them introducing some non-scanned tracks (like Zandvoort) if it meant we could get some of the lesser-known circuits, but I don't see that happening since so many people got their panties twisted when they found out Zandy wasn't scanned (even though it's pretty much as excellent as any of the scanned circuits).
I see your point @BrandonW77 and I half agree with you. The thing that keeps me hoping Kunos only gives us laser scanned tracks is because I'm fortunate to be playing on PC and there are such talented modders that keep giving us professional quality mod tracks. So, I'm not sitting around waiting for new tracks from Kunos because it takes them so long to finish one track. Well, I am, but the wait isn't torturous because of the quality mods I can install in the meantime. If I were on console, I would probably feel differently. I'll admit that.

Well see that's the thing. The majority of people are too focused on a select few tracks that are already in so many games. I'm not blaming Kunos here, it's just common sense. I'm blaming the community for not being "open minded" enough. But that's why the normal distribution exists I guess.

Those tracks you mentioned are in the game because they are Italian and Kunos has easy access I presume. But for the worldwide tracks the list doesn't look that special - Nurburgring, Brands, Catalunya, Silverstone, Spa. All pretty common tracks. Again I know Kunos is a small company and they have limited budget. But it's hard to justify flying out to an unknown track if every most wanted track list features the same ol' circuits.

And yeah I'm also pretty open to non scanned circuits, as long as it's good. Evidently the community isn't though.

That's typical human behavior though, we tend to want the things we're familiar with and shy away from the unfamiliar, and we gravitate towards the popular. There's a lot of people with the game that don't know a lot about racing and don't know about tracks like Snetterton or Barabagello or Lime Rock so they might not be as likely to buy a game that doesn't have the popular tracks. Probably best to start with the old standards and build from there. Personally, I'd still take Spa or Brands Hatch over Jacarepagua every time.

I see your point @BrandonW77 and I half agree with you. The thing that keeps me hoping Kunos only gives us laser scanned tracks is because I'm fortunate to be playing on PC and there are such talented modders that keep giving us professional quality mod tracks. So, I'm not sitting around waiting for new tracks from Kunos because it takes them so long to finish one track. Well, I am, but the wait isn't torturous because of the quality mods I can install in the meantime. If I were on console, I would probably feel differently. I'll admit that.

Yeah. The downside is that after driving on laser-scanned Kunos tracks I sometimes have a hard time enjoying some of the mod tracks. There are a few good ones out there but a lot are hit and miss and I usually still find myself gravitating towards the Kunos tracks most of the time. But then I'm also one of those weird people who could lap Nurb GP, Brands Hatch, Silvestone, Monza, and Spa for the rest of my life and never tire of them. :)

Not really happy with these news, despite being none of Kunos/Marco's fault. I thought after Porsche everything else should be easy peasy to get. Koenigsegg in particular shouldn't be as difficult, unless CvK didn't want to spill his car's secrets considering how detailed AC's simulation is. Suzuka I can live without. Aston Martin was also close to having a fall out with PD before GT6 release IIRC. When will these manufacturers learn the value of having your name represented in as many games as possible? :rolleyes: It's not like AC is some bottom tier mobile game with no reputation.

I can see the marketing point of view here, but this is what peeves me off about modern day simracing in general. Every game has the same tracks over and over again, while lesser known but equally great tracks never gets a second look. Then people complain the genre is getting stale...

Famous circuits are nice and all, but there's so much more interesting ribbons of tarmac that people don't know that deserves to be laser scanned before they are lost to history, like so many vintage/demolished/renovated tracks. I just wish the simracing community can be more open minded than requesting Nordschleife or the E30 M3 in 10 different games :irked:

Thank god the PC version has mods at least.
Koenigsegg stopped replying to their emails when they changed their licensing guy/gal. As for your theory that you'd expect more to jump oj board because of porsche, well Porsche wasn't announced that long ago so perhaps we'll see Aston and Koenigsegg chasing Kunos up instead.

If they didn't laser scan everything those other tracks would be possible. But it doesn't make financial sense to go to cost of laser scanning if it's a track that the majority of people won't care about or want to buy. Some of the tracks aren't that common though, I'd never encountered Vallelunga, Magione, or Mugello in games before and I only know
Zandvoort from R3E, so it's not all the same old same old. I'd be totally fine with them introducing some non-scanned tracks (like Zandvoort) if it meant we could get some of the lesser-known circuits, but I don't see that happening since so many people got their panties twisted when they found out Zandy wasn't scanned (even though it's pretty much as excellent as any of the scanned circuits).
Whilst this makes total sense, now anyway, they could add those unfamiliar tracks in AC2 base game rather than DLC because they will simply sell on the strength of the game and bigger name tracks, then Kunos can concentrate on only bigger named tracks for DLC. Everyone's a winner.

Koenigsegg stopped replying to their emails when they changed their licensing guy/gal. As for your theory that you'd expect more to jump oj board because of porsche, well Porsche wasn't announced that long ago so perhaps we'll see Aston and Koenigsegg chasing Kunos up instead.

Whilst this makes total sense, now anyway, they could add those unfamiliar tracks in AC2 base game rather than DLC because they will simply sell on the strength of the game and bigger name tracks, then Kunos can concentrate on only bigger named tracks for DLC. Everyone's a winner.

Agreed, I think we're a ways away from that but that's the perfect way to do it because then they don't have to worry about people passing on a DLC because they don't know/like the track.

@BrandonW77 Yup. I think there are a lot more "bad" mods than "great" mods. Especially with mod cars, because there are too many ripped Forza models that were not given proper attention on crafting proper physics for the car. Tracks are different in the sense that they don't need all those individual files set properly, but we've all seen good conversions and terrible, rushed, unauthorized conversions.

Agreed, I think we're a ways away from that but that's the perfect way to do it because then they don't have to worry about people passing on a DLC because they don't know/like the track.
kunos are also miles away today from what they originally planned. Here's hoping they give us some great fantasy tracks too which I think are important for console players to get away from circuit tracks now and then.

I suppose they could also pack some awesome cars into such a DLC, along with a lesser known track. People would still buy the DLC to get those cars.

Modding is always very much the trade-off between having useable content and having high quality "good as the in-game stuff" content.

As far as I'm concerned there are a handful of tracks and car mods for AC which are good enough to really compete with Kunos work. The rest are nice to have, and the guys who built them have my utmost respect, but you have to accept that they won't really live up to the official content.

I actually think that the "heyday" of modding was in the rFactor 1 era, when modders were able to deliver content which surpassed ISI's official stuff consistently. As the models get more complex, laser scanning becomes the norm and graphical fidelity goes up, the amount of work just to create a single track or car becomes prohibitive for a couple of guys doing it out of love in their spare time. That's just the way it is.

Kunos knows this too, and their style of purchasing mod models to license, finish up (physics, sounds, model quality) and deliver in game is a clever idea to expand the amount of delivered content while building on the work of the community in a respectful way. Cars like the Shelby Cobra and Lamborghini Miura arrived this way.

Sifting through mods does give you a bigger appreciation for paid DLC. With some exceptions, the truth is that you get what you pay for.

kunos are also miles away today from what they originally planned. Here's hoping they give us some great fantasy tracks too which I think are important for console players to get away from circuit tracks now and then.

Yep. When you think that originally AC was only supposed to have like a dozen cars and half a dozen tracks and it's still using that same engine (I believe) it's kind of amazing what they've been able to shoe-horn into that engine. There are limits of course (light source) but they've manage to do a lot with it, and hopefully learned a lot for their next engine.

I suppose they could also pack some awesome cars into such a DLC, along with a lesser known track. People would still buy the DLC to get those cars.

You'd think, but believe it or not I've seen people pass up on (or complain about) DLCs because there was one item in there they didn't care for. Humans are strange creatures... :odd:

Modding is always very much the trade-off between having useable content and having high quality "good as the in-game stuff" content.

As far as I'm concerned there are a handful of tracks and car mods for AC which are good enough to really compete with Kunos work. The rest are nice to have, and the guys who built them have my utmost respect, but you have to accept that they won't really live up to the official content.

I actually think that the "heyday" of modding was in the rFactor 1 era, when modders were able to deliver content which surpassed ISI's official stuff consistently. As the models get more complex, laser scanning becomes the norm and graphical fidelity goes up, the amount of work just to create a single track or car becomes prohibitive for a couple of guys doing it out of love in their spare time. That's just the way it is.

Kunos knows this too, and their style of purchasing mod models to license, finish up (physics, sounds, model quality) and deliver in game is a clever idea to expand the amount of delivered content while building on the work of the community in a respectful way. Cars like the Shelby Cobra and Lamborghini Miura arrived this way.

Sifting through mods does give you a bigger appreciation for paid DLC. With some exceptions, the truth is that you get what you pay for.

Absolutely, mega respect for the guys who build/convert all these tracks. Even the ones that aren't quite up to Kunos standard are still very useable (as long as they have a decent track mesh). One trick I employ is to try to always use a Kunos car on a mod track so I know I'm getting the best of it since at least I know the car is top quality. When you mix mod cars and tracks together you're never sure what you're going to get and if the combo isn't good you may think the track was rubbish but really it was the car or the combination of the two.

And yeah, the heyday is probably behind us. As games get more complex, mods get harder to build to the standard set by the vanilla content which can discourage some or lead to less-than-compelling results. Thankfully there are still some people out there soldiering on and some of them still do damn fine work.

On the other hand its smaller but we are in the golden era of liveries and livery creation, the amount of tools we have and options to go about making skins, its not as grand as tracks and cars but its nice to be able to have dozens of races and still get variation.

Last edited:
on the other hand its smaller but we are in the golden era of liveries and livery creation, the amount of tools we have and options to go about making skins, its not as grand as tracks and cars but its nice to be able to have dozens of races and still get variation

Great for offline players. For people who do mostly online racing in pick up mode, liveries have become kinda useless, unfortunately. :(

No idea, I could ask Lino though. When you register for a race, you need to pick a car and it shows you every livery you own.

That sounds like booking mode. You can pick your livery in booking mode but I believe you have to register for the event at least an hour beforehand, which can sometimes be a bit of a pain.

That sounds like booking mode. You can pick your livery in booking mode but I believe you have to register for the event at least an hour beforehand, which can sometimes be a bit of a pain.
No you can pick them too up until 5 minutes before the start ( when you can't register anymore). 👍

What will it take to persuade Kunos to release all of this a day early, so that I can play it on my only day off? Otherwise I have to wait 10 more days for my next one.

mother teresa's birthday
Preparations have been made here in the village. It's going to be a blast.

tumblr_m6iwtyFdox1qmnu9to1_400.gif

Marco had a nice little rant on Fb because someone said the the triple pack should be free. Well wasn't a rant so much but asking the guy to make suggestions on how Kunos can fund the production costs etc.

Marco had a nice little rant on Fb because someone said the the triple pack should be free. Well wasn't a rant so much but asking the guy to make suggestions on how Kunos can fund the production costs etc.
I know, if the guy himself pays the full Ferrari license fee for the FXX_K and 488, maybe Kunos will throw in the model development costs for free?

FS7
No need for rant, Marco could simply say "Assets Cost".

Last I checked he's already said that 47,329 times, yet everyday people keep asking the same questions. They've tried being civil with people but at some point they realized that people refuse to return the favor and gave up on that approach, can't say I blame them. Plus, they're from Italy, so everything has to be dramatic.

Last I checked he's already said that 47,329 times, yet everyday people keep asking the same questions. They've tried being civil with people but at some point they realized that people refuse to return the favor and gave up on that approach, can't say I blame them. Plus, they're from Italy, so everything has to be dramatic.
I'm from italy too, and people mistake him for being rude at times. But I can tell you as an Italian, people in italy especially the south are prety direct and have never heardbof political correctness. My family for example when I visit them have no problem telling me I look like crap lol. Obviously this behaviour can be taken a different way by non Italians. Also in Italian certain things don't come across as confrontational or defensive.

I never check out the Facebook page (I don't even have a FB account), but I figured with all that's going on I might as well just take a peek to see what's what over there.

I get down to the official post about the 3 car DLC pack being available this Friday and then I read this:

Our Steam community can enjoy some free bonus content this Friday, with Update 1.8. Featuring the Audi S1 and the historic Sopraelevata circuit, which has been developed using laserscan technology to guarantee the highest level of accuracy for Assetto Corsa.

Sopraelevata circuit?! I've never heard of it. How did they keep this mysterious new AC track from us over in the official forums? OMG... New laser scanned track is AWWWWW-SUM! I immediately highlight 'Sopraelevata circuit' and do a right-click > Search google for this...

WTF?! All the results coming back are showing me stuff about the old Monza section... What is goin--.... Wait a minute. That's just some Italian for the historic Monza track?! Well, we already knew about that. I just got my hopes up for a completely unheard of new laser-scanned track. :banghead: There was a big forehead slap next as I realized what an idiot I was. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Back