Assetto Corsa PC Mods General DiscussionPC 

• Thread starter Paiky
  • 135,143 comments
I think thats the only rational conclusion they had to draw from the past. If they want to support modding, maybe even on the consoles, they must have an own shop and then they must handle copyrights. And also in this way imo, they made a decision about support work. I think they will focus on the bigger modding groups and more professional modding people. So people wiith a decent work skill and a decent mind for customer support.

AC modding was fastly slipping out of their hands. They were only be possible to handle this in the first 2 years or so. Then the things getting to heavy to handle this. So they trying to limit their own support work to handle the modding in a practical way, where they still have the power to prevent the usage of a mod, if there is a copyright problem.

Imo that means that there will be a restricted shop, where modders must be approved to share their things, paid or not will not be the question. But i think it means that AC EVO modding is completely different to AC modding in terms of the community.

Even if people find a way to hack their own "not official" mods into AC EVO, Kunos can say, "they hacked it". And maybe it will be a little battle and restrictions get harder and harder.

I can't say that this is a bad decision by Kunos. Its the only logical way they can go, if they want to keep the full control over their product. I think they never thought that AC would be that great and things fastly get over their heads, but not because they are bad developers, but because they developed a fantastic base for a racing/modding like sandbox and NO company can handle such anthill.

So at the end its what i though till the first announcement of AC EVO: There will be a movement of casual racers to AC EVO for sure. People who just want to race, like AMS2 users. But for the rest of the players that fumbling around, collecting whatever cars, fun players and "just drivers", AC can still be the place to have fun on a decent level.

I think with AC EVO, AC gets more and more the "black sheep" in the racing world, because it will be mostly the only place where uncontrolled modding is possible (in a good and bad way for modders and their copyright issues)

I honestly don’t see how a mod storefront for AC like Bethesda has would even work to be honest.

Every new car and track would need to be officially licensed by the manufacturer or owner of that intellectual property. Modders could therefore only make a select list of pre-approved car models and tracks that Kunos has access to but hasn’t implemented yet.

For example if the storefront existed and some modding team wanted to make… let’s say the Aston Martin DBRS9 and Magny-Cours, then Kunos would be on the hook for approaching Aston Martin and the property owners to get the rights for the modding team to use them in-game. You need big cheddar (such as backing from 505 games) to be able to even do that.

If the modders were to go the alternate route, making Darches and Ferruchios, putting them on console on a Kunos-run storefront would put those kinds of “fake but not really” mods in a much more prominent spotlight, and the holders of the intellectual property would be much more likely to crack down and take legal action that their designs are being used without authorization.

Idk the way I see it, if there’s going to be modding in AC Evo, it’s going to have to be either the same as AC (PC-only and completely open), or Kunos is going to have to contract out cars and tracks to modding teams for use in official DLC, which technically means they wouldn’t be mods anymore.

Basically if there was a pre-approved list of models creators could make for this hypothetical Kunos-led storefront, you might as well just make those as DLC packs and forget about the storefront altogether.

Last edited:
I honestly don’t see how a mod storefront for AC like Bethesda has would even work to be honest.

Every new car and track would need to be officially licensed by the manufacturer or owner of that intellectual property. Modders could therefore only make a select list of pre-approved car models and tracks that Kunos has access to but hasn’t implemented yet.

For example if the storefront existed and some modding team wanted to make… let’s say the Aston Martin DBRS9 and Magny-Cours, then Kunos would be on the hook for approaching Aston Martin and the property owners to get the rights for the modding team to use them in-game. You need big cheddar (such as backing from 505 games) to be able to even do that.

If the modders were to go the alternate route, making Darches and Ferruchios, putting them on console on a Kunos-run storefront would put those kinds of “fake but not really” mods in a much more prominent spotlight, and the holders of the intellectual property would be much more likely to crack down and take legal action that their designs are being used without authorization.

Idk the way I see it, if there’s going to be modding in AC Evo, it’s going to have to be either the same as AC (PC-only and completely open), or Kunos is going to have to contract out cars and tracks to modding teams for use in official DLC, which technically means they wouldn’t be mods anymore.

Basically if there was a pre-approved list of models creators could make for this hypothetical Kunos-led storefront, you might as well just make those as DLC packs and forget about the storefront altogether.
The only way the can prevent Copyright issues is an integrated mod store, like the steam workshop. If they really want only legal mods, like they say, they have no other option.

The only way the can prevent Copyright issues is an integrated mod store, like the steam workshop. If they really want only legal mods, like they say, they have no other option.
At the same the time, the best possible strategy for modding to thrive is just changing nothing.
Kunos can't be sued if users mod the game.
Win/win.

... And that is only if it's free. Paid content wouldn't be possible without proper licensing agreement, and a commercial license for a car is way out of any profitable range for a modder. Beside, some brands are already famous for hunting down modding of their copyright properties (For exemple Nintendo, Disney, or... Ferrari), even for "non-profit" production. What if Kunos puts a "validate" stamp on a Ferrari car, upload it on the store and Ferrari sued the modder for copyright infringement ? It would put them in a very fragile situation.

@ninezeroniner It may sound quite ugly, but the best possible strategy for a thriving modding community is hardly a reproductible one, unfortunatly. And AC has made a very good exemple of it.
Indeed, Kunos can't really be "at risk" for the current situation of AC, but repeating the same strategy would be a no-go for any brands who wants a slice of the cake, or any brand who DON'T want it to be reproduced elsewhere. They have to follow through their conditions, which are probably "keep your dogs on a leach".

Long story short : play AC, be happy :cheers: (sing along, everyone!)

Istanbul Park 2021

Istanbul Park 2021

I completed most of my updates for the istanbul_park track done by Enver Bozkaya (SRTR), ACU, OSRW & the AC Reboot Team. All credit for the track go to those guys, not me. I had intended it to be a mod for the original track, but the list of changes grew bigger than expected so I decided to keep it a standalone track. I know some people hate that and some like it, but I think it was necessary.

I do intend to keep tweaking things moving forward, but I think the track is in a good enough place now for people to enjoy. I would still like to get a better look for the inner grass and I have to figure out a better setup for the main straight windows. I'd like them to be transparent, but can't seem to figure out why they are so dark.

If you are using any of my past test versions, please delete the old track folder first.

List of changes from the past test versions:

-- Changed the track name to Istanbul Park 2021 since I based a lot of my changes around an F1 2021 video.
-- Grass tweaks, still not where I want it.
-- Time of day and lap number displays for the start gantry.
-- A few more trees added to dead space areas.
-- Fixed a reversed sponsor banner on one of the bridges. Let me know if I missed any other ones please.
-- Collision physics to some of the tyrewalls that were missing them.
-- I prefer the kerb cones as non-moveable objects, so by default they are pass thru objects. If you prefer them to be moveable, there is a track skin named MoveableKerbCones that you can enable so they move again.
-- Support for Pyyer's F1 Classics and Bring it Back extensions. Please read the included Directions text file so you know how to install what's needed for his extensions. It's pretty simple. Install my track. Install his extensions into my track folder. Install the contents of the 'Files_for_Pyyer_extensions' folder and overwrite when it asks. I tested each extension and didn't see any issues, but please let me know if I screwed up any of them.

As always, feedback for improvements is welcome as well as pointing out any mistakes I made.
After watching the Valtteri Bottas 2021 pole lap video over and over again, I think I finally got the carpet areas right as per the 2021 F1 race. Some areas the cones stayed, some were removed and replaced with the little speed bumps (i'm sure they have a more official name). Just download the update file from the link below. The full track download includes these updated files for future downloads.

rj_istanbul_park updates

Chevrolet Corvette Z06 2006 Public Release!!
Download: https://sharemods.com/390rtzc4tbos/chevrolet_corvette_z06_2006_101creative.zip.html
Converted From FM4
-AO inside and out
-Realistic Dashboard
-Physics By VRDRIVING
-CSP Settings
-Driver Animation
-Panoramic session Start config Daniel Nogal
-Beta testing and help ,@norms,@Mascot,and others

Screenshot_chevrolet_corvette_z06_2006_fln_long beach_12-6-124-14-18-18.jpgScreenshot_chevrolet_corvette_z06_2006_fln_long beach_12-6-124-14-18-14.jpgScreenshot_chevrolet_corvette_z06_2006_fln_long beach_12-6-124-14-18-8.jpgScreenshot_chevrolet_corvette_z06_2006_fln_long beach_12-6-124-14-17-32.jpgScreenshot_chevrolet_corvette_z06_2006_fln_long beach_12-6-124-14-16-51.jpgScreenshot_chevrolet_corvette_z06_2006_fln_long beach_12-6-124-14-15-51.jpgScreenshot_chevrolet_corvette_z06_2006_fln_long beach_12-6-124-14-15-40.jpg

Chevrolet Corvette Z06 2006 Public Release!!...
Thanks! As good as always, but... it can be seen reflections of the road on the edge of the inner windshield frame, and it's very annoying while driving...

Screenshot_chevrolet_corvette_z06_2006_ks_barcelona_13-6-124-0-5-49.jpg

I've looked for a solution in my Jedi trick box, but I haven't been able to solve it...

I'm having a blast with a Hot Wheels car mod "Hot wheels: Rivited" by Taro Kitano (Presumebly)
(on Rainmaker's new 1970 Oval which is awesome btw)

but the GEAR doesn't show correctly... even when shifting , it remains showing "000000" instead of the actual gear:
View attachment 1370397

Any ideas how to fix?

This is what's in the digital_instruments.ini :

[ITEM_0]
PARENT=DISPLAY_DATA
POSITION=-0.0001,0.031,-0.001
TYPE=GEAR
SIZE=0.02
COLOR=170,170,170,255
INTENSITY=1.0
FONT=audi_vln
VERSION=2
ALIGN=CENTER
Anyone?
once it's fixed I'll share the fixed car with some extra skins

preview.jpg
preview.jpg
preview.jpg
preview.jpg
preview.jpg
preview.jpg

Check ext_config.ini

I'd search for "odo". Item 0 is probably used as a dummy, only to be overwritten by a csp-function in ext_config (like kilometerstand). If you DM me the ext_config I can explain in more detail.

Thanks! As good as always, but... it can be seen reflections of the road on the edge of the inner windshield frame, and it's very annoying while driving...

View attachment 1372009

I've looked for a solution in my Jedi trick box, but I haven't been able to solve it...
If you know the mesh name you can use ext_config.ini to move it to the COCKPIT_HR.

From the top of my mind it's:

[MESH_ADJUSTMENT_...]
MESHES = name of mesh
MOVE_TO = COCKPIT_HR

As long as a mesh or material is placed inside the COCKPIT_HR dummy/node it will not reflect the outside world. (not actually true, it will be masked by a "silhoutte" of the car-interior.)

Last edited:
They cannot be held responsible for the modding content, but they are aware of the very-high proportion of it being illegal by essence. Trouble is, they do need licences and contracts with brands to do their game, otherwise it would be an empty shell, and they cannot legitimately go in front of them playing the innocent card saying that what their community is doing is not of their concern. Imagine going on a negotiation meeting with Ferrari's lawyers and saying "well, lets sign a contract for licences on a few cars, no need to sign for all of them, the rest will be accessible from other sources anyway". You wont get away with that. Kunos is torn between 2 incompatible choices.
if modders want to sell their mods on the market place that Kunos will make, then they need a licensing agreement for it, its why RSS, VRC, URD use fake names. its a way to get around it, you can do the same with tracks, just no real life logos at all. that would be the same for all the skinners that want to have their skins for the car to be on the marketplace. now outside of the market place there is no limit

if modders want to sell their mods on the market place that Kunos will make, then they need a licensing agreement for it, its why RSS, VRC, URD use fake names. its a way to get around it, you can do the same with tracks, just no real life logos at all. that would be the same for all the skinners that want to have their skins for the car to be on the marketplace. now outside of the market place there is no limit
Tbh this whole practise is still very, very gray. Shapes can also be an intellectual property of someone. If things were that simple in real life, then I could download Star Wars, change the opening scene so it says Galactic Conflict and then re-dubbed it, so there is no R2-D2, but J21-P37 for example. Using that logic, I would be fine, cause I changed the name. It's still the same move, but with a different name!

With circuits there seems to be a precedence, so you can do full Monza and simply call it Brianza, but with cars no game producer wants to risk. That's why Formula USA in Automobilista 2 looks like IndyCar car designed by Homer Simpson.

The biggest issue in the whole modding conundrum is the money aspect. If you publish mods for free, you should be in the clear (I AM NOT A LAWYER), because you are in the clear. However if you earn money based on someone's IP... Some actual lawyers might get their paychecks.

... And that is only if it's free. Paid content wouldn't be possible without proper licensing agreement, and a commercial license for a car is way out of any profitable range for a modder. Beside, some brands are already famous for hunting down modding of their copyright properties (For exemple Nintendo, Disney, or... Ferrari), even for "non-profit" production. What if Kunos puts a "validate" stamp on a Ferrari car, upload it on the store and Ferrari sued the modder for copyright infringement ? It would put them in a very fragile situation.

@ninezeroniner It may sound quite ugly, but the best possible strategy for a thriving modding community is hardly a reproductible one, unfortunatly. And AC has made a very good exemple of it.
Indeed, Kunos can't really be "at risk" for the current situation of AC, but repeating the same strategy would be a no-go for any brands who wants a slice of the cake, or any brand who DON'T want it to be reproduced elsewhere. They have to follow through their conditions, which are probably "keep your dogs on a leach".

Long story short : play AC, be happy :cheers: (sing along, everyone!)
Yeah easypeasy, I'll happily drift away from this nightmare of possibilities :cheers:
Weekend's here!

After watching the Valtteri Bottas 2021 pole lap video over and over again, I think I finally got the carpet areas right as per the 2021 F1 race. Some areas the cones stayed, some were removed and replaced with the little speed bumps (i'm sure they have a more official name). Just download the update file from the link below. The full track download includes these updated files for future downloads.

rj_istanbul_park updates
Your dogged determination to get this right, is both admirably on-brand, and, perversly, entertaining to watch play out :)
Your efforts highly appreciated, sir :cheers:

Im hoping that if Kunos is going to rein in the wild west modding scene then they do something like Farming Simulator's official mod browser or Snowrunner's mod.io integration 🤞

The biggest issue in the whole modding conundrum is the money aspect. If you publish mods for free, you should be in the clear (I AM NOT A LAWYER), because you are in the clear. However if you earn money based on someone's IP... Some actual lawyers might get their paychecks.
In short, if what you did is free of charge, so "non-profit", that means you didn't get any advantage (money) out of it. You're not legally in the clear, but no team of lawyer will hunt you down for something that is not profitable for you, and free advertising for their client. Win/win situation. With the exception of Nintendo, dudes are crazy with their product identity, don't you dare make your own mario with hookers and cocaïne, I tell ya.

An intellectual property is commonly understand as "At least 90% identical". Changing names is a way of avoiding it which works in some parts of the world (Russia, for exemple) but doesn't elsewhere (USA or France, for exemple), where a counterfeit remains a counterfeit, whatever name you put on it.

EDIT : @Twisteddrift looks a lot like Gilles75 is back hahaha Don't. just don't.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, does one get absolved from their sins for driving a Porsche 911 GT1 or does it have to be around Mantorp Park as well? Asking for a friend...
The first, the first... driving a 911 GT1 (please to put a green of envy emoji here)... The closest I have come to driving a car of a certain level is reduced to a couple of corners in a parking lot with a Lancer EVO IV and a couple of iddle accelerations in a Ferrari Testarossa... Sad resume, although I console myself with my Abarth 595...😢

By the way, I miss half of the joke; I don't know if Mantorp Park is a den of vice and perversion, or something similar... I'm going to take a look at BSL (Breathe's Sacred List), as that track is not among the ones I have on AC.

... it can be seen reflections of the road on the edge of the inner windshield frame...
... If you know the mesh name you can use ext_config.ini to move it to the COCKPIT_HR.

From the top of my mind it's:

[MESH_ADJUSTMENT_...]
MESHES = name of mesh
MOVE_TO = COCKPIT_HR

As long as a mesh or material is placed inside the COCKPIT_HR dummy/node it will not reflect the outside world. (not actually true, it will be masked by a "silhoutte" of the car-interior.)
Thank you, my Master, this trick has really worked... I'm saving it in favorites for future reference. In case anyone is interested, and until a definitive solution appears (if appears), add this...

[MESH_ADJUSTMENT_...]
MESHES = che_corvettez06_06_cockpit_glassF_black___231_vertices_342_faces
MOVE_TO = COCKPIT_HR

...at the end of ext_config.ini.

I haven't understood very well about that thing that the mesh being masked, so I don't know if using this shortcut with other interior pieces that have texture or color will look good, but in this case it looks great, since that edge is now left in plain black color, without the damn road reflection...

Screenshot_chevrolet_corvette_z06_2006_ks_barcelona_13-6-124-12-15-39.jpg

Thanks again for teaching me something new!

Last edited:
Sharing a mod? Host it on GTPlanet Downloads. Free, public hosting for files up to 10GB in size.
Back