Cappuccino Cup Racing (RM) - SEASON 1 COMPLETE!

• Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 1,431 comments

Best Race Day/Times (Top 2 Will Be Chosen)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The German half of me (yes I am a kamikaze-nazi) wants to do this:

So that I can go do this:

I'm still amazed that's not what the RM'd version has under the hood. It seems like such a given seeing as they've got the GSX-r in the game.

We should definitely set up a 'post-season fun race' and put a bunch of weight in our top three or four overall point holders cars, and make them race the rest of us for about 25 laps

The half of me that is Japanese understands why and loves it:

Very cool stuff! I think we have a true Cappuccino Lover here! lol 👍

Couple things to take note of in this video. First, did you all catch what kind of tires were on there?? :)

Second, regarding our discussion earlier today about technique and control, when it gets to the onboard section pay attention to when he downshifts. One of the most conterintuitive things I encountered when trying to learn performance driving was straight-line braking. After enough reading and practice it all made perfect sense and it's now part of my everyday real-world driving technique. But this video illustrates it very well, you'll notice he does all his downshifting (and braking) in a straight-line and has both hands back on the steering wheel before he enters the turn. He most likely had his foot off the brake too. By doing this the weight of the car re-centers itself and you have fairly equal weight on all 4 tires, meaning you have better grip when you turn-in. If you are still downshifting/braking when you enter the turn then most of the weight is on the front tires and it will overload their traction ability, result in understeer. Of course there is such a thing as trail-braking where you are on the brakes briefly as you turn-in, but that's an advanced technique which can only be applied after straight-line braking has been mastered.

Sorry for the ramble there, but that onboard section was a good illustration to go along with our earlier discussion so I thought I'd point that out. Could be helpful to some people who aren't aware of these techniques. If anybody wants to learn more about those topics or just performance driving in general click here.

@Brosif, I just noticed you have the Capp Cup listed in your sig.........made me feel like my little Cappucinno League is big time! :) lol Thanks for doing that man. 👍

Remember, practice lounge should be open by approx 6:30pm EDT. See you all on track!

Brandon

We should definitely set up a 'post-season fun race' and put a bunch of weight in our top three or four overall point holders cars, and make them race the rest of us for about 25 laps

Sounds like a great idea to me!! I do plan on having like some kind of Cappucinno Cup Runoffs after the season races are complete, something that brings the drivers from all 3 nights together to decide Champions. We could put the top 5 drivers from all 3 nights in a race to decide the overall League Champion, and maybe have races for the middle 5 and bottom 5 from all nights too. Of course since several drivers run in multiple nights it wouldn't be quite that cut-and-dry, but we could probably have one race with the top finishers from all nights to decide overall champ and then have the bottom half of the finishers compete in a "best of the rest" race. I haven't put a ton of thought into it yet, but you can see what I'm thinking. Should be really fun if we do it right!

B

Don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves here, but that sounds great! Although it may be a bit difficult to find a common time for everyone (hence why we have three different nights right? :) )

If you guys don't mind, could you post whether you think you can make tonight's race or not? That way I can have an idea of who to try to wait for and who not to wait for.

Since my connection was very solid all week, I might try doing the practice room in a private lounge. If it seems like the tires warm up ok and the grip feels proper then we can run the race there and I won't have to worry about booting people that wander in. If it still doesn't feel right or the tires don't warm up we'll go back to an open lobby.

B

Although it may be a bit difficult to find a common time for everyone (hence why we have three different nights right? :) )

That would be the tricky part, but hopefully if we plan it far enough in advance people could plan for it and we could work out what time would be best. It would probably be 2 weeks after the last races of the season so everybody could have plenty of time to plan for it.

Or maybe we could do it as a 3 race "playoff" format and you take your top 2 finishes, highest total wins champion. It could be on 3 totally different styles of tracks, 1 night is a tight street-course, 1 night is a longer, enduro type track, and maybe 1 night could be an.......oval?? :dopey:

Those oval races we did the other night were a total hoot!! I'd love to work them into the league somehow, but not sure if they should be for points because of the volatile nature of those races. But they would be a great part of some kind of Cappuccino Olympics! :)

B

@Brosif, I just noticed you have the Capp Cup listed in your sig.........made me feel like my little Cappucinno League is big time! :) lol Thanks for doing that man. 👍

Not a problem dude! It's a great series and I am just trying to help spread the good word. Looks like SohnVonStiggiePantsLover has it added to his signature also.

@PonyStig, we'll try to wait up for you.

@Mule, Tues and Sat are generally a no go for you, right? But Friday's for sure?

B

Looks like SohnVonStiggiePantsLover has it added to his signature also.

I literally LOL'd really hard at that! If you'll notice, I just made a much simpler version of that joke in my previous post. Hilarious!!

I literally LOL'd really hard at that! If you'll notice, I just made a much simpler version of that joke in my previous post. Hilarious!!

PonyStig is pretty good too!

Ahhhh, laughing at the expense of another. How fun. :cheers:

Not a problem dude! It's a great series and I am just trying to help spread the good word. Looks like SohnVonStiggiePantsLover has it added to his signature also.

and me!

@PonyStig, we'll try to wait up for you.

@Mule, Tues and Sat are generally a no go for you, right? But Friday's for sure?

B

Pretty much, yeah. Tuesday nights, I tend to go out, saturdays I'm running the Integras (which starts at 5, so there's plenty of time for you guys to do the double *HINTHINT*).

I take credit for PonyStig.

I have a feeling there will be a funny Photoshop picture posted here tomorrow after I get back to my work computer. :sly:

Should I go back to my old avatar?

stigy.jpg

edit: changed my avatar just for you guys ;)

I knew I wasn't the first to use PonyStig, but I like it. Credit to Mule.

I hadn't realized all you guys had the Capp's in your sigs, that's sweet. It has turned out to be a fun little series! Great group of drivers too, except for that Brosifina guy. He's always out there stinking up first place and making it look ugly. But, every group will have one of THOSE guys. :) lol

B

Y'all are making me blush! :cheers:

Haha. Well I wasn't specifically trying to shmooze, just so you know. HAHA. I just know that sometimes it helps to watch people who are fast, because sometimes there's just plain a better line to take in certain cars on certain tracks. Or maybe their car is in a different gear at a certain point, or maybe letting off the throttle when I was instead braking. ETc. etc. Sometimes it's about something I just don't know about. But in your case, I don't think you have any secret weapon going on... It's purely quick reflexes & knowing what you're doing on all the tracks with a car like this one.

And I think credit should be given where credit is due. I watched some pretty clean driving BrosifDuder was doing. Which is says a lot. Some people are fast, but NOT a exactly a pleasure to play the game with, if you know what I mean. LOL

I'm gonna try to meet up for practice, B. I got my setup a little messed up from trying so many different things yesterday

I know what you mean. That's a big pet peeve of mine that you can't save different set-ups for a car (like in gt4). I always say I'm going to write things down. Then I always think no I'll remember this. And then I don't. :(

Big props to everyone that's helping with tuning advice though, some people wouldn't be willing to give out info that would help their competitors but I think that's a sign that we have a really great group here.

Hopefully a sign that nobody wants a miserable wreck-fest too. LOL :D I'll happily share whatever I find that helps make the car more stable, if it means the people I'm racing with are going to be less likely to spin out & hit me at every turn. ;)

To add to Waznz’s comment, many GTPlanet members agree that adjustments made to ride-height when tuning vehicles in GT5 have the opposite effect of what would be expected in real world scenarios.

Yep, I've noticed this on a number of cars. BUT, it's not true of all cars. I know this from experimenting. Some cars it works just like it seems it should. I wouldn't like to guess at the percentages though, because most of my personal tuning is done on what some people would call "POS cars"... LOL. Road cars, not performance cars or sports cars or whatever.

A one millimeter adjustment to ride-height has a noticeable effect on the vehicle’s balance, more so than adjustments made to other suspension components and thus it is the most powerful tuning device available. I know my examples are pretty generic but all I wanted to do was illustrate basic application. Hope this helps!

Yeah this is one of the big hurdles for people who are trying to treat the game like real life when tuning. Tiny adjustments that would hardly make a difference in any way in real life, seem to be HUGE in the game. The toe angle comes to mind as well.

Now obviously clipping an inside kerb that is mountainous in stature, such as Turn 2 at Madrid Mini, which puts the car up on two wheels is going to have a disastrous effect on your cornering performance.

But it is entertaining! ;)
Yesterday I did make a mistake on that turn one lap, and was almost going to go up on it... and strangely, someone dived to the inside there & tried to squeeze up between me & that curb/wall. LOL Like they wanted the ski position on that curb so bad they'd fight me for it. haha. I found it funny because here I was thinking I was way too much to the left, and here was this other person trying to get left of me. haha. I'm assuming it's because the person had lost control or they were not familiar with the track. It was obvious that most of the people were not particularly familiar with that track.

In addition, if the rules allow and I feel it is to my advantage I will typically use kerbs at the entry and exit of corners as additional track surface to increase my cornering speeds.

My bf does this all the time. And when we were watching you, he DID point out your deft usage of additional curb track surface on the outside heading into a lot of the turns, and again lectured me that I should be employing that more. ;) And if he's encouraging it, I would take that as an indication that it's not considered poor sportsmanship or anything, because he's a stickler for rules.

As for grass, I usually like to race with GT5 set to “Real” for grip levels at the track edge/grass. This causes the biggest problem where grass/dirt is present on the exit of corners. I do not know of a way to tune out or calm snap oversteer that is experienced due to an outside rear tire touching grass on the exit of a high speed corner. I doubt that there is a tuning adjustment that can eliminate this as it seems to me to just be a bad combination of momentum and an immediate reduction in grip level at the corner of the car that weighs the most.

I can't say for sure what about my set-up has reduced that, because JohnnyPenso gave me a set-up to try, and I haven't really made much adjustment to it. the camber & toe is more than I'd ever put it. But I notice that a lot in set-ups people recommend. And I have to say, that's probably what made the difference.

Before I was losing control of the car if I put so much as 1 wheel into the grass... and it would take me ages to get the car settled back down afterward. I'm not having that problem anymore. I'm not saying I can just drive halfway over grass or 2 wheels riding a curb, with no effect at all. I'm just saying it's no longer a tragedy of monumental proportions. haha. So no it doesn't "eliminate" it completely. But it's as good as.
Of course I have still other problems. LOL.
But at least that's dialed down.
Because it was HUGE... because it seems the most likely time to get scraped clipped, tapped, bumped or rubbed, is when you're already riding weight on the outside edge, and someone swoops in with frantic late-braking to grab your line on the inside, loses control of their own car, and gives you a shove. So for my money, dialing that down helps me.

Of course I've noticed that more & more I've also started using what I'd consider a "defensive line" through corners in online races. It's unfortunate because it's usually a slower line, but sometimes it's the only way to stay on ANY line, and proceed with stability & predictability... & not wind up in an accident, through a corner if someone's right behind me waiting to cut my line off on the inside because they're so frantic to pass they just plow into the inside with late-braking - even if it means they're risking putting themselves in a drama, & hurts their own time... it seems like a LOT of people do that, and regularly. Because this is so common, and I'm so inexperienced, I find that having more stability in that situation is paramount to my ability to even enjoy the game & want to play, let alone be competitive.

How many of you had the PS3 since day 1 release? I have, hence why my names doesnt have a _ or number after it lol.

Darn it...there's a race going on right now isn't there...argh! well I think I can make it to my house real fast to spectate you guys =D

StingrayX
How many of you had the PS3 since day 1 release? I have, hence why my names doesnt have a _ or number after it lol.

Yea, I'm sure you noticed how simple my psn name is...I actually spent the night in front of the store...doh!

I'll make it. I could use some practice beforehand since it was all taken up by my trip to and from Indy for the 500 over the weekend. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back