Complete American Car List

• Thread starter Jedi2016
  • 299 comments
cudadude2
i've tryed to explain this in other threads over the last couple years, and i'll try again. firstly, this isnt aimed at you jedi, i find your thoughts to be very good on the subjects of gt4 and cars in general.
ok, american cars have big engines with lower hp than smaller performence engines arouind the world, true. but they are desighned less as performence pieces and more as low rpm, smooth, quiet, engines that can travel from new your to houston every week for three years. and do it with respectable milage figures. most big american v8s get 25 mpg. heck, the ford gt gets 22 and it has 550 hp!
cars use a form of darwinism, they conform to their environment.
and to the person who talked americans being fat and lazy, yu go right on believing that, that will ensure that whatever country your from will never be able to compete with the usa.

bill d
former U.S. Marine, 911 of the planet

The member who thinks Americans are fat and lazy seems to be from Canada. I'd just like to show my appreciation to you, bill d. Thank you for your service to our country and the world. I would like to think that all of those who love German, Japanese, French, Italian, British and Korean cars would be really thankful for us fat, lazy Americans.

we love our big engines for one reason that many people forget about, Torque, most import have to be reved very high to acctualy get going, get in a V8 and punch it,. your pushed into your seat, hard instantly, and your only at 3000 rpm, but this is pointless to have a v8 vs 4 cylinder argument here. They are both good, power can be made with either, and they each have a purpose in life

I'm just glad that GT4 represents the entire car range so we can get a chance to each drivce what we like and can experience soem of the cars that we would not normally drive

This list has more cars than the Japanese official list. Just a few right off hand are the Chrysler 300C and the Puegeot 905 race car. I hope this list is ligit, it sure looks better than the other....

jake11375
This list has more cars than the Japanese official list. Just a few right off hand are the Chrysler 300C and the Puegeot 905 race car. I hope this list is ligit, it sure looks better than the other....
Seeing as it came off of the SCEA website I would certainly say it is legit.

how much horsepower could you put in that lancer evo VIII without a turbocharger? :) american cars with their bigger engines dont need turbochargers to get higher output...just need bigger engines

Different people have different tastes, some people hate the scream of an F1 or motorcycle engine at 15,000 rpm, or the whine of a turbo, others love it.

How many extra people in the US do you think would buy this game just because there were older Mustangs (not counting the Shelbys) or an 06 'Vette? If you've seen those bumper stickers with Calvin peeing on the Chevy/Dodge/Ford logo, my guess is quite a few.

cudadude2
i've tryed to explain this in other threads over the last couple years, and i'll try again. firstly, this isnt aimed at you jedi, i find your thoughts to be very good on the subjects of gt4 and cars in general.
ok, american cars have big engines with lower hp than smaller performence engines arouind the world, true. but they are desighned less as performence pieces and more as low rpm, smooth, quiet, engines that can travel from new your to houston every week for three years. and do it with respectable milage figures. most big american v8s get 25 mpg. heck, the ford gt gets 22 and it has 550 hp!
cars use a form of darwinism, they conform to their environment.
and to the person who talked americans being fat and lazy, yu go right on believing that, that will ensure that whatever country your from will never be able to compete with the usa.

bill d
former U.S. Marine, 911 of the planet

You're quite right about the cars. I was sure there was a reason for it, I just didn't know what it was.. hehe. I've been watching a lot of Top Gear, and they occasionally comment that some of these huge American engines get "only" 400hp or so, stuff like that. And they did mention that the American version of the Morgan Aero 8 was going "bigger, wider, softer, and comfier" than the all-British GTN. I'm thinking that most Americans just aren't as performance-minded as some of our foreign friends.. content with comfy A-to-B transportation and not much else.

Me, I've grown increasingly frustrated with my little Crappy Car™ Tempo.. I want something that moves. Maybe not an all-out sports car.. right now I'm aiming at a "hot hatch". Something that looks nice and sensible, but really isn't. :)

Besides, who am I to argue with a fellow Devil Dog? :) 👍 :cheers:

Offtopic> about that turbo thing with the Japanese cars... i think he was correct about saying that american cars don't need turbos for good hp... although they sure as heck help... case in point...my freinds dodge dakota R/T.. stock 300 HP.... with twin turbos... 1100 hp and 1200 lbs ft of trq.... check it out 👍 Twin Turbo Dakota

XVII
how much horsepower could you put in that lancer evo VIII without a turbocharger? :) american cars with their bigger engines dont need turbochargers to get higher output...just need bigger engines

evo 8 comes standard with a turbo charger as do all the evo lancers

american cars have greater displacement and Japanese turbo cars have fewer cylinders and lesser overall displacement

Jedi2016
You're quite right about the cars. I was sure there was a reason for it, I just didn't know what it was.. hehe. I've been watching a lot of Top Gear, and they occasionally comment that some of these huge American engines get "only" 400hp or so, stuff like that. And they did mention that the American version of the Morgan Aero 8 was going "bigger, wider, softer, and comfier" than the all-British GTN. I'm thinking that most Americans just aren't as performance-minded as some of our foreign friends.. content with comfy A-to-B transportation and not much else.

Me, I've grown increasingly frustrated with my little Crappy Car™ Tempo.. I want something that moves. Maybe not an all-out sports car.. right now I'm aiming at a "hot hatch". Something that looks nice and sensible, but really isn't. :)

Besides, who am I to argue with a fellow Devil Dog? :) 👍 :cheers:

87-93 Mustang 5.0, Good Good stuff. I have a coupe myself. hatchbacks look nice too, and theres soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much to customize on them and not very expensive.

MoparSRT10
Offtopic> about that turbo thing with the Japanese cars... i think he was correct about saying that american cars don't need turbos for good hp... although they sure as heck help... case in point...my freinds dodge dakota R/T.. stock 300 HP.... with twin turbos... 1100 hp and 1200 lbs ft of trq.... check it out 👍 Twin Turbo Dakota

dakota r/t's only came with 250 hp stock.

Jedi2016
The problem with high-power American cars is the size of the engine.. Maybe Americans think that you need a huge engine to get a lot of power, or maybe the American engineers just can't quite build 'em right... You can get the same sort of power out of a European or Japanese car with a much smaller engine. Look at the Evo VIII FQ400.. four hundred horsepower out of a 2-liter engine. In an American car, you'd need a 6-liter V-8 to get that kind of power.

and, according to top gear, it was horrible during normal driving. Didnt it get beat by a wagon from a top gear roll? Not to mention it cost $85,000, compared to $35,000 for a 400 hp cobra or gto.

when you get 400 hp out of a 2l 4cyl engine its not a durable as 400hp out of a say a 6l 8cyl engine. the more cylinders you have the more that power is distributed over those cylinders. meanin the less stress those cylinders and components have on them. in theory of course. manufacturing quality has a big hand in it also. if that bigger engine is made with cheaper, weaker parts itll break anyways.

super cirrus
and, according to top gear, it was horrible during normal driving. Didnt it get beat by a wagon from a top gear roll? Not to mention it cost $85,000, compared to $35,000 for a 400 hp cobra or gto.
The point of that little exercise was to demonstrate how bad the FQ400's turbo lag is. As easy as it is to handle, you really need to think ahead of the power curve or you'll be in for some nasty surprises.

Personally, I'd go with a free revving N/A motor over forced induction anyway. Preferably at least six cylinders, so the engine actually has signs of life in the mid-range. :) Compared to F/I, N/A engines with similar output are easier to drive, more responsive to quick throttle inputs, and maintenance/care is usually far more manageable.

Jedi2016
The problem with high-power American cars is the size of the engine.. Maybe Americans think that you need a huge engine to get a lot of power, or maybe the American engineers just can't quite build 'em right... You can get the same sort of power out of a European or Japanese car with a much smaller engine. Look at the Evo VIII FQ400.. four hundred horsepower out of a 2-liter engine. In an American car, you'd need a 6-liter V-8 to get that kind of power.

That's a turbo charged engine... not at all a fair comparison to an NA engine (which most North American cars are, nowadays). You can put a huge turbo on any car and claim it makes lottsa hp with very little displacement, but that's only telling half the truth.

Oh, and try not to just compare hp numbers between American and European/Japanese cars... that only tells half the truth. Fact is, torque makes a car fun to drive and American cars have it in spades (hp is simply just a measurement of torque @ RPM's, afterall).

Well, I'd still prefer a Japanese car to any of the American sports cars simply because the only American Sport types worth looking into (ie. Corvette, Viper, GTO UCK!!) are WAY too expensive, and they don't look as good in my own taste.

allsops
Fact is, torque makes a car fun to drive and American cars have it in spades (hp is simply just a measurement of torque @ RPM's, afterall).
Fact is that you don't know what you're talking about ...

Zardoz
All those Skylines, but only room for two Mustangs?

All those JGTC cars, but not even one Trans-Am race car?

All those NSX race variants, but only one racing Corvette, and that's a GT3 holdover?

We could go on and on, couldn't we? The cars that are left off this list is as amazing as the sheer, overwhelming number that is on it.

Yeah, yeah, all us fanboys should be oh, so grateful that the PD guys have been so gracious as to give us all these cars. Yeah, yeah: Japanese cars are great. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Fact is. This is a self-indulgent list. The developers put in the cars they grew up with, see every day, own, drive, and know very well. They packed the list with the cars they love. They're self-indulgent to the point of it being bad for their business. More U.S. cars would help sales in this market, but even that is not motivation enough for them to throw a few more in.

Oh, well, I guess we North Americans should be grateful for whatever crumbs they throw us, and keep our fanboy mouths shut, shouldn't we?

Well, for people like you, there's Nascar sim racing which is due to come out soon from EA, and forza motorsports which is sure to have tons of american cars and fewer japanese cars (because lets face it, all you care about is the ratio of Japanese cars compared to the american cars. because in fact there's a LOT of american cars in allready.)

the game is made in japan, where they have easier access to japanese cars compared to any other kind of cars, so why is this surprising at all? and it's not "bad for bussiness" the game came out in asia too you know?
sure it'd be nice to have more cars in, but they ran out of time, end of story.

[FONT=Times New Roman]let me know when the offical list is out for the north american version. please. i going to copy it when it don :nervous: e-gene[/FONT]

Zardoz
All those Skylines, but only room for two Mustangs?

All those JGTC cars, but not even one Trans-Am race car?

All those NSX race variants, but only one racing Corvette, and that's a GT3 holdover?

We could go on and on, couldn't we? The cars that are left off this list is as amazing as the sheer, overwhelming number that is on it.

Yeah, yeah, all us fanboys should be oh, so grateful that the PD guys have been so gracious as to give us all these cars. Yeah, yeah: Japanese cars are great. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Fact is. This is a self-indulgent list. The developers put in the cars they grew up with, see every day, own, drive, and know very well. They packed the list with the cars they love. They're self-indulgent to the point of it being bad for their business. More U.S. cars would help sales in this market, but even that is not motivation enough for them to throw a few more in.

Oh, well, I guess we North Americans should be grateful for whatever crumbs they throw us, and keep our fanboy mouths shut, shouldn't we?

I agree 100%. They should balance the cars out for each continent. Less repeats of the Japanese cars and more new Euro and American cars. The game developers are clearly partial to their Japanese cars. Maybe they didn't add Ferrari and Lambo just because they make Japanese cars look bad? (Joking on the last part)

Back