Current State of GT7 has made previous Gran Turismo games Irrelevant?

• Thread starter Miroku
  • 14 comments

Has GT7 made previous Gran Turismo games Irrelevant in current state?

• Yes

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • No

Votes: 26 78.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters
Canada
Canada
So just wanted to see the opinions of others on here.

I used to always argue that GT5 still was a more complete game when GT Sport and GT7 came out due to them lacking a lot of tracks and cars.

However, now with all the updates in GT7 I really see don't the point of GT5/GT6 anymore apart from just doing a comparison or nostalgia.

Pretty much all the tracks I love are now in the game. The same can be said about the cars.
Of course there is still a few things I'm hoping for like Midway or Motegi, but as for cars...honestly anything else is a bonus since I'm never feeling like I'm missing anything I'd want to use since I'm more of a Japanese car fan.

I have GT5 and GT6, but for me....I don't see myself ever going back to play them in the future anymore.

I'm pretty much undecided.
If you're like me, a kinda nostalgic fan of GT, GT5 and 6 aren't irrelevant at all.
I still play those games regularly.
But otherwise, yes they are.

It might come as a surprise, but Gran Turismo 5 and Gran Turismo 6 are not the first games in the series, sidestepping entirely the question of whether GT7 has achieved feature/content parity with them (moreso 5 since 6 is so lacking in terms of "create your own fun" after the server shutdown).

And while I'm hoping not too send to many people into fainting spells with such revelations, I'll also note along those lines that a not-unsubstantial portion of the fanbase doesn't consider "being better than GT5 or (especially) GT6" to be too terribly impressive of an achievement in the first place.

Last edited:
With the regular physics changes, glitches, pp updates, leaderboard resets and absolutely nothing challenging in offline content; GT7 has quickly become irrelevant to me. Occasionally I dip my toes into the online B race, and that's about all.

Yesterday I loaded GT Sport to do the Lewis Hamilton Challenge again. GT7 doesn't have anything that requires that level of pace.

Edit: I forgot to mention the woeful AI driving behaviour in GT7. Anyone who drives like that in real life would immediately be banned from racing. They are infuriating. Why would PD allow something so bad in this game?

Last edited:
And while I'm hoping not too send to many people into fainting spells with such revelations, I'll also note along those lines that a not-unsubstantial portion of the fanbase doesn't consider "being better than GT5 or (especially) GT6" to be too terribly impressive of an achievement in the first place.
To me GT2 was the pinnacle, because
1. it was better than GT1
2. I didnt know of any other game that felt close to the same during its era (I didnt like the old NFS or Ridge Racer)
3. + had the same amount of tracks or cars available
4. I didnt play any GT until GTS in between
5. neither GTS nor GT7 were/are able to kill the joy that my nostalgia glasses make me believe to remember
6. there are not many games of old that I prefer to newer versions or like them just as much, but these games tend to be different in more ways than just graphics or level of simulation. eg do I like Diablo 2 much more than 3 or 4 for its simplicity and speed, or Fallout 1 and 2 for being a totally different game than 3 and newer

No, of course not. They're all completely different experiences with mostly completely different sets of content.
5 and 6 are probably the worst ones to focus on because they're the worst, having had their online services shut down and only remain with half a game.

1-4 are timeless games to go back to and 4 especially is seeing a massive resurgence with the release of the Spec II mod.

To me GT2 was the pinnacle, because
1. it was better than GT1
2. I didnt know of any other game that felt close to the same during its era (I didnt like the old NFS or Ridge Racer)
3. + had the same amount of tracks or cars available
4. I didnt play any GT until GTS in between
5. neither GTS nor GT7 were/are able to kill the joy that my nostalgia glasses make me believe to remember
6. there are not many games of old that I prefer to newer versions or like them just as much, but these games tend to be different in more ways than just graphics or level of simulation. eg do I like Diablo 2 much more than 3 or 4 for its simplicity and speed, or Fallout 1 and 2 for being a totally different game than 3 and newer
GT2 still has a couple of standouts things that make it unique in the franchise, even if clearly dated.
  1. GT2 about as perfectly as possible represents a single point in car culture just before emissions laws began drastically tightening a few years later and the Japanese car industry having a huge downturn; with hundreds of 80s/90s tuning company cars and GT cars and touring cars that were forgotten by the new millennium in addition to car brands and road cars that no longer existed by the time GT3 came out. It's not very good at anything before 1980 like GT4 shined a lot with or exotic cars; but if you want a videogame version of Best Motoring or old Top Gear then GT2 is the best representation of that "vibe" in the series.
  2. The performance modifications (while not perfect and still having a lot of weirdness) are significantly more realistic in practice than in the PS2 and PS3 games of the series; which directly ties in with a lot the real life tuned cars in the game staying relevant (because you can't just easily brute force better performance out of normal versions in the game than the tuner cars had in real life like you can in later games). The tuning system the Forza games have used forever is a lot more similar (albeit expanded) to the GT1-GT2 setup than GT3 -> GT6 are.
How much GT2 remains relevant as a game today depends entirely, I think, in how much enjoyment you get out of those two aspects of it.

Last edited:
For me it goes:
GT5
GT4
GT7
GTS
GT3
GT2
GT1
GT6

GT7 loses points for the lack of driving licence restrictions and endurance racing. To many boardroom types have got involved I expect to say no event should be more than an hour and that events should not be locked behind some kind of 'achievement' i.e. obtaining a Super Licence

In my opinion, GT4 is the pinnacle of "things to do in game" that in addition allows massive variety.
I really got into online racing in GTS in it's early days, and it was most rewarding, but the penalty system became increasingly dubious, and the S-safety rating became not much more than a tool to "game" the system for way too many in the community.
I've only tried 2 online races since getting into GT7 (very late in getting here) and both were a complete poop show... DR.A to A+ lobbies with all Sr.S drivers... performing like adolescents never having progressed beyond Dr.E/Sr.E and having indulged in adult beverages.
At any rate, during the GTS days, I would still fire up my PS2 and play GT4... wish I had not "goodwill'd" my PS2.
This make me want to seach "play GT4 and PS4pro...

Last edited:
I've only tried 2 online races since getting into GT7 (very late in getting here) and both were a complete poop show... DR.A to A+ lobbies with all Sr.S drivers... performing like adolescents never having progressed beyond Dr.E/Sr.E and having indulged in adult beverages.
An Alt profile will ease your online woes... Temporarily

An Alt profile will ease your online woes... Temporarily
How? That’s not going to reduce the 80% of wannabes that can’t drive.

As I’ve said previously with 70+ Sport races in GT7 I’ve had less than 10 where the whole field has made it round turn 1

Last edited:
What's been the most disappointing is that there was real scope here to combine the best of the past games with everything we'd expect of modern games but that hasn't happened. What we ended up with was a new version of GT Sport with a slightly expanded singleplayer experience and that's a huge disappointment. What rubs salt in the wound is that we were promised more missions and endurance events not too long after launch and we've seen one set of missions, that's it.

GT6 has the biggest car and track roster in the series. Until PD can replicate that variety again, but with modern graphics then no.

For me GT2 will always be the best racing game for its time, and as an experience, it still holds up today, even if the graphics don't.

GT4 meanwhile is still the glowing example of how to structure a career mode in a racing game, and this is despite blind AI that're even worse than what GT7 has. I defy you not to have more fun in GT4's early career than in GT7. They made an amazing use of what they had at their disposal.

If PD made a true HD re-master of GT4 with the same content, a few QOL improvements and an online mode they'd run the risk of making GT7 irrelevant to me at least.

So to me, no. GT7 is far from making previous games irrelevant. It lacks the charm of the PS1/2 games and has by far the worst career mode in the entire series. I love GT7 either way, but at the very least, it needs a completely re-designed career mode with no chase-the-rabbit nonsense at all before it even begins to compare to the older games. Half a dozen clubman cup+ races aren't enough.

Answering the title, I don’t feel the past games are irrelevant due to the updates currently available in GT7.

Just looking at a young PD, it’s amazing they got the nod to include so many official race cars from GT-GT4. So many official tuned cars from GT-GT4. Even with compared to today’s high poly count, the amount of car trim and variations, even car list padding, is amazing.

In GT7 we can damn near replicate most cars from past games. New cars, we can get close to replicating tuned and race models. Driving and watching replays are the ethos of the franchise. Snapping pictures made it halfway into the game franchise and how it was in GT4 seems like a better photomode compared to the current scapes.

I don’t have the past games and consoles(though my daughter uses my old PS4) because I love the improved graphics and nuances of each new game. Can’t call the past games irrelevant due to how many innovations and modes the past games brought to players: point to point rally, Coffee Break, B-Spec, hybrid circuits, kart tracks, real world track data from a user’s real car, track editor, photomode, live race save full stop, acceleration and high speed testing to name a few.

As much as GT7 is improving, many players still reference the past games for how good they still are.

Latest Posts

Back