DA's Super GT Series|PURE Spec 1.0|Last Round 4/14

We'll see how fast you go on Saturday. I can chase lap times too, but I'm trying for consistency and tire longevity.

Just pounding out laps man. I did close to 80 laps last night in all of the cars put together, it gave me an idea of who is good on tires and who is not. From my little test I think this is a venue that suits the NSX's speed but not its instability. You have to drive the car incredible hard to get the time out of it. However, I did find the Bandai very easy to lap very fast. My lap time spreads in the GTR were very tight. If I were to guess I would say less than .500 of a second for the average fast laps, where as the NSX was closer to 1.000 second. All of the other cars had a pretty tight spread as well, best guess in the .625 range. There was one exception, the Nismo Z was tougher than I expected to lap consistently. Likely down to the high torque and possibly too aggressive of a diff setting.

But in all, this is the closest spread in lap times across the field I've seen yet, so the race should be very, very close.

On a light note...

Do you believe this pic.. From a MotorTrend article on the Shelby 1000 (950 hp) I think its doctor'ed. Rear suspension isn't compressed and the tires look unloaded or lightly loaded. If you look at the fronts you'll see some photoshop'ing where it looks like a brick was under the fronts. But still, with close to 1000 hp is it possible on street tires?

2012-Shelby-1000-front-end.jpg

Z Crazy
On a light note...

Do you believe this pic.. From a MotorTrend article on the Shelby 1000 (950 hp) I think its doctor'ed. Rear suspension isn't compressed and the tires look unloaded or lightly loaded. If you look at the fronts you'll see some photoshop'ing where it looks like a brick was under the fronts. But still, with close to 1000 hp is it possible on street tires?

Not possible on street tires. Street meaning normal wear. Drag radial yes. Front suspension would be at full extension and the rear tire/wheel would show motion IMO

Been drag racing for a long time. No street tire like that has the grip. Even with the best suspension it won't hold the torque it takes to lift the front.

On a 28" tall slick or drag radial. It would be possible. Still takes suspension to do so. Basically it goes to Center of gravity. If the lower control arms are angled properly they will have some serious leverage. This lever will pull the front up easier. This won't be the case on a stockish car. It would require a lift bar of sorts even with slicks or drag radials.

That sounds about right Jeff. I'd be interested in seeing if that were the case through auxiliary testing. Then we could release a separate spec. set for softer tires.

Btw, PURE's starting up a flagship GT300 only series starting soon if anyone here's interested

Sign me up. 👍
Send a link to it. 👍

Just pounding out laps man. I did close to 80 laps last night in all of the cars put together, it gave me an idea of who is good on tires and who is not. From my little test I think this is a venue that suits the NSX's speed but not its instability. You have to drive the car incredible hard to get the time out of it. However, I did find the Bandai very easy to lap very fast. My lap time spreads in the GTR were very tight. If I were to guess I would say less than .500 of a second for the average fast laps, where as the NSX was closer to 1.000 second. All of the other cars had a pretty tight spread as well, best guess in the .625 range. There was one exception, the Nismo Z was tougher than I expected to lap consistently. Likely down to the high torque and possibly too aggressive of a diff setting.

But in all, this is the closest spread in lap times across the field I've seen yet, so the race should be very, very close.

Thanks for the insight Z. I'll do some adjusting on my LSD to see what I come up with. I don't think I have it to high. As far as I'm concerned, the Z is handling pretty good here. Now I have lower times to try and get to. Thanks for the 18's and 17's Fresh & Z. 👍 lol

I do apologise for putting up two replies. I still haven't figured out how to do more than one reply in the same post.

On a light note...

2012-Shelby-1000-front-end.jpg

I'd say fake. I have a hard time believing you'd see light in the rear wheel threads with the amount of force which is required to lift the front end.

I don't think we'll see 17's like that, unless you're out in free air. But if Z qualified first he may. I'll try to not let that happen though. I was fiddling with the car a little bit yesterday and was doing low 18's on the out laps. So I figure after a few more adjustments I can probably hit the 17's for a fast lap. I just have to tune for more steering response.

I broke into the 18's so I'm happy for now. I'm not expecting to do well at this track or the next because I just don't have the time to practice. Spa is a different story...I like that track.

I haven't practiced yet. Will try getting some time tomorrow evening. Think i had a total of 1 - 2 hours of practice for last week. I didn't think of a strategy till an hour before the race haha. I really need to practice more.

I did some practicing today. Just trying to get the most laps I can. I think I start out around the 18's for a few laps, then 19's for a few and 20s and 21s towards the end. Maybe 8 laps on softs.

That's about were I am as well. The car will surprisingly run quite a few 18's before falling off fairly hard. I think I'm dropping to 19's around lap 6 and lose about a second a lap from there.

Race pace should be in the mid 18's. Additionally, I see qualifying being quite tough. Because this track is so underplayed, I imagine there will be a few people who are having trouble with it and getting caught behind those having trouble will be something to deal with.

I think we'll have lap traffic, with the walls and those not used to it, people will be falling behind. Tire wear isn't too bad here, but it will be interesting for strategy.

Not one of my favorite tracks. But i did manage a 17.5xx. I found the key areas to be turn 1, 5, 7 and 8. You can really hurt your lap times by barely missing your marks on these turns. Just the final chicane can mess your lap up by a solid second depending on the braking point you pick. Too soon or late there will kill it.

My setup isn't strong enough to get into the 17's. I have it set up for good tire wear though. Sacrificing ultimate pace for consistency is better IMO. 18's for a few laps then 19's for 5 or so laps is key.

Not possible on street tires. Street meaning normal wear. Drag radial yes. Front suspension would be at full extension and the rear tire/wheel would show motion IMO

Been drag racing for a long time. No street tire like that has the grip. Even with the best suspension it won't hold the torque it takes to lift the front.

On a 28" tall slick or drag radial. It would be possible. Still takes suspension to do so. Basically it goes to Center of gravity. If the lower control arms are angled properly they will have some serious leverage. This lever will pull the front up easier. This won't be the case on a stockish car. It would require a lift bar of sorts even with slicks or drag radials.
I wouldn't be so quick to say fake. It may very well be, but it wouldn't be the first I've heard of street tires pulling the front end up.

I would find it highly unlikely on any kind of unmodified (non-drag) suspension though.
Is the pic from MotorTrend?

Honestly, i think my strength will be tire wear. I feel the higher powered cars should have a slight advantage here with passing opportunities.

awr117
Honestly, i think my strength will be tire wear. I feel the higher powered cars should have a slight advantage here with passing opportunities.

It's gonna be hard to pass on this track. Every straight is narrow and not very long...and there isn't any room for side by side racing for the most part. So if you're gonna try a pass I feel it's going to be the best strategy to follow someone and hope filling their mirrors forces them to make a mistake. Unless they're drastically slower...

I hope I can get turning consistent high 18's by Saturday. I'll be practicing Friday night for sure...and Saturday morning before the race also.

There are passing spots. The turn before the back stretch leading to the start finish is one of the main ones.

Set your DVR's for this Saturday since we'll be racing. The Rolex series will be on Speed from 4:00 - 7:00.

Tuning and tuning and I can't get the car to rotate into the turns as good as I want it to. I lose a lot of time in the final sector. I just hope my tire wear is decent.

Guys, points are updated. Hopefully I got it all right.

So, we're down to 9 drivers total. I hope to see everyone at the last 3 races...seems that the field is down to the 'regulars' to me. I was told it's sometimes difficult to get a reliable group together that shows up each week. With that said, thanks for everyone participating thus far.

I'm not looking forward to the next 2 races personally. They're definitely not tracks I'm good at. I just keep thinking of Spa...a track I may be able to challenge Z and Red at...lol

Edit: I'd really like to do another season this summer with 7 gt500 and 7 gt300 cars. We'll see though, I need to get my internet connection solid before doing that though

Edit #2: I knew my series would conflict with racing season...but it'll be over in 3 weeks. If/when I run another season it wont be on Saturdays. The only reason I picked Saturday this season is because of conflict with school. School > GT5

Last edited:
Maybe you can move it to a week night. Maybe Wednesday night or something. Also, I should have 95 points because I scored 19 this past weekend. 2 points for pole and 17 for third place.

freshseth83
Maybe you can move it to a week night. Maybe Wednesday night or something. Also, I should have 95 points because I scored 19 this past weekend. 2 points for pole and 17 for third place.

I'll edit that tomorrow. Sorry.

Guys, points are updated. Hopefully I got it all right.

So, we're down to 9 drivers total. I hope to see everyone at the last 3 races...seems that the field is down to the 'regulars' to me. I was told it's sometimes difficult to get a reliable group together that shows up each week. With that said, thanks for everyone participating thus far.

I'm not looking forward to the next 2 races personally. They're definitely not tracks I'm good at. I just keep thinking of Spa...a track I may be able to challenge Z and Red at...lol

Edit: I'd really like to do another season this summer with 7 gt500 and 7 gt300 cars. We'll see though, I need to get my internet connection solid before doing that though

Edit #2: I knew my series would conflict with racing season...but it'll be over in 3 weeks. If/when I run another season it wont be on Saturdays. The only reason I picked Saturday this season is because of conflict with school. School > GT5

During the week is good for me. 👍

I finally pulled a 1:20.125. This track is a bit tricky in a couple of places, but a good track. 👍
This is going to be one for having alot of patients. :)

RodeRuner1967
This is going to be one for having alot of patients. :)

Why? Because of crashing into walls? Hopefully we don't get hurt...

Edit: Just joking with ya. I imagine if visible damage was on, there'd be some mangled cars!

Last edited:
Qualifying, in my opinion, is always important. But this week i feel it will be extremely important to qualify near the top. The passing zones just seem tight and limited.

Back