Dream Pack 1 Coming 3/11/2015! With Nordschleife

• Thread starter haejuk
  • 241 comments
3 days people!

giphy.gif

Time should fly for me after tomorrow, as I will be playing Cities Skylines. Then on Wednesday, I will be playing Assetto Corsa and testing out Nords and the new cars lol. Plus I will be taking the drift spec E30 out with street 90's tires as well, because I enjoy going nuts on the nords

Last edited:
@lalyrn There's an FM5 Forum all of its own. Please post FM5 material there, it is off topic and has no place here.

How is it off topic to show how excited I am for the upcoming release of a laser scanned Nordschleife for Assetto Corsa, even if I am using videos of Forza footage to emphasize that point?
I could have quite easily used real life footage for exactly the same thing, would you say that is off topic also?
With regards to FM5 specifically, it is actually relevant to a point anyway. As it is the only other racing game in existence to have a laser scanned Nordschleife, and comparisons will be made between the two. There have been lingering questions on whether T10 used "artistic" license with the actual track layout for FM5, and Assettos own laser scanned version could be the final answer the question on that front.

How is it off topic to show how excited I am for the upcoming release of a laser scanned Nordschleife for Assetto Corsa, even if I am using videos of Forza footage to emphasize that point?
It is off topic because you're using Forza footage.

It is only a few videos though, and used purely to show how much I enjoy Nordschleife.
Sorry, officer, but I only shot him once.

It is still off topic. 💡

Now, back to AC.

Sorry, officer, but I only shot him once.

It is still off topic. 💡

Now, back to AC.

If it was the Assetto Corsa video thread, I would be able to see your point. But regardless of that, I will not post any more non Assetto Corsa videos in here; and respect your wishes.

It can if a creators wants to be more driveble(easy to drive) to modified some parameters of the track.
That's the first i hear about it. Why would you go through the effort of laser scanning a 20km track just so you can modify the data and make it unrealistic afterwards? Doesn't make sense, is there a link about that floating around somewhere?

That's the first i hear about it. Why would you go through the effort of laser scanning a 20km track just so you can modify the data and make it unrealistic afterwards? Doesn't make sense, is there a link about that floating around somewhere?
No link,it"s just my opinion

Not all laser scans are equal.

IRacing are known for static scanners (which you place every so many meters and do a 360 degrees scan) which take the surrounding objects in the scan as well as the road surface, and they always recreate the objects as accurately as possible.

The alternative is a scanning car which is driven slowly around the track. This tends to do a good job of elevations and track surface but it's not as good at providing the point cloud for objects outside the Tarmac, as far as I understand.

Finally either way you have a point cloud which needs to be stitched together as a model. Then your game has "ambience" and "playability" requirements, and also maybe physics issues so that some curbs have to be altered to avoid strange car behavior. Anything could pop up.

I understood from a couple of references that Forza's laser scans are focused on the track surface, and that objects outside the track are done manually.
Also given how accurate GT6 model is, I am very sure PD has recreated the track from more than just photos. They never yell "we laser scanned" but I am pretty sure a point cloud was part of the track modeling process. Especially given how utterly familiar the AC leaked video was for anyone with years of GT5/GT6 Nurburgring practice.

Not all laser scans are equal.

IRacing are known for static scanners (which you place every so many meters and do a 360 degrees scan) which take the surrounding objects in the scan as well as the road surface, and they always recreate the objects as accurately as possible.

The alternative is a scanning car which is driven slowly around the track. This tends to do a good job of elevations and track surface but it's not as good at providing the point cloud for objects outside the Tarmac, as far as I understand.

Finally either way you have a point cloud which needs to be stitched together as a model. Then your game has "ambience" and "playability" requirements, and also maybe physics issues so that some curbs have to be altered to avoid strange car behavior. Anything could pop up.

I understood from a couple of references that Forza's laser scans are focused on the track surface, and that objects outside the track are done manually.
Also given how accurate GT6 model is, I am very sure PD has recreated the track from more than just photos. They never yell "we laser scanned" but I am pretty sure a point cloud was part of the track modeling process. Especially given how utterly familiar the AC leaked video was for anyone with years of GT5/GT6 Nurburgring practice.
Maybe Kaz snuck a laser scanner in to one of the GT-Rs he raced there

Maybe Kaz snuck a laser scanner in to one of the GT-Rs he raced there
PD have had teams at the track on numerous occasions. In the GT5 era there's the story that the team went back to Nordschleife close to release to rephotograph all the graffiti so that it would match what was actually there at GT5 release.... I really wouldn't put it past them to have taken a scanner car round.

The kerbs inaccuracies are present in almost all "laser scanned" tracks in FM5. I don't know how the could make so many mistakes. It's like if they have only scanned the track between the white lines and nothing else.

PD: where can i watch the AC video of Nords???

Last edited:
The kerbs inaccuracies are present in almost all "laser scanned" tracks in FM5. I don't know how the could make so many mistakes. It's like if the have only scanned the track between the white lines and nothing else.

PD: where can i watch the AC video of Nords???

beta testing

Back