EA Sports WRC: General Discussion

• Thread starter xX Jojje Xx
  • 3,149 comments
I preordered the game on PS5 initially and spent the next week or so reading about how the PS5 version was worse so I did something I’ve never done before and bought it on Xbox Series X too. For weeks after that I felt like a complete moron for doing that - the two versions were identical. Since this last patch that idiotic waste of money decision suddenly looks less idiotic and I’m just glad to have a version of the game that’s not a complete performance nightmare. I tried it on PS5 after the patch and deleted it. If they sort it back out after the patch it’ll probably become my go-to version again eventually because I prefer the controller.

I preordered the game on PS5 initially and spent the next week or so reading about how the PS5 version was worse so I did something I’ve never done before and bought it on Xbox Series X too. For weeks after that I felt like a complete moron for doing that - the two versions were identical. Since this last patch that idiotic waste of money decision suddenly looks less idiotic and I’m just glad to have a version of the game that’s not a complete performance nightmare. I tried it on PS5 after the patch and deleted it. If they sort it back out after the patch it’ll probably become my go-to version again eventually because I prefer the controller.
Surely you could've gotten a refund from Sony before you played it?
Maybe even still there'd be a case for it. Cyberpunk didn't perform much worse than this on ps5 initially and sure that got pulled from the store entirely and everyone got refunds.

Last edited:
Nah I played and enjoyed it, right up to 1.4. Buying the XSX version too was a (very expensive) experiment to see if it was true that version performed better. At the time it wasn't much different, sure is now though.

The tearing/stuttering on PS5 hasn’t been too bad on recent career and moments playthroughs the last week. I would say the game looks pretty good, especially the new CER. I see Marshals at stage ends floating over the ground a few inches, but generally the game seems ok/improved from the first week post 1.40.

I admit most dusk/sunrise/inclement weather conditions look really good, especially a great weather transition experience on CER. I also swear there are real time transitions during sunset/sunrise but can’t confirm.

Probably totally placebo, but I’m no longer leaving other games suspended in the background and close and open WRC every time. Maybe that’s making a difference, or maybe it’s just coincidence.

They really need to fix Career mode though. Who knows what other bugs are lurking underneath. Found one in my career restart in JWRC post 1.40 that kept me from graduating to WRC2 for Season 2.

What race suit and menu car does everyone have?
de102396-1959-4f4e-952c-d9caaadbf3a3.png

Quick question: are any of the stages in this game real?
Somewhat. I think most of the stages in-game use roads that have been used in actual WRC stages, however nowhere near to the same extent. They might only use the roads from one or two real-life special stages instead of 9+ that are used in real life.

For example, Monte-Carlo has two 'long' stages from real life, which are then split up into 12 stages overall in-game:

Stage 1 uses the same roads from SS 13+15 in the 2020 rally:
  • Stage 2 is Stage 1 in the opposite direction.
  • Stage 3 is the northern half of Stage 1.
  • Stage 4 is the northern half of Stage 1 in the opposite direction.
  • Stage 5 is the southern half of Stage 1.
  • Stage 6 is the southern half of Stage 1 in the opposite direction.
Stage 7 uses the same roads from SS 3+6 in the 2024 rally (also seen in the 2016-2020 rallies).
  • Stage 8 is Stage 7 in the opposite direction.
  • Stage 9 is the northern half of Stage 7.
  • Stage 10 is the northern half of Stage 7 in the opposite direction.
  • Stage 11 is the southern half of Stage 7.
  • Stage 12 is the southern half of Stage 7 in the opposite direction.

Quick question: are any of the stages in this game real?
In short, yes. Finland, Estonia, Monte, Spain, Croatia, Japan, Sweden, Greece, and New Zealand are real WRC stages. Not necessarily from 2023 of course, the Croatia stage for example was only used in 2021 I believe, but they’re all real WRC stages. Greece and Croatia feature 1 stage, the rest feature 2.

Everything else, are still real roads, just not real stages. Some of them are located near the real stages like Portugal, and then dressed up in areas to look like famous bits, for example the Fafe jump. Although, because of route changes on the real event, the last 2km of the games Portugal stage is actually a real WRC stage section as well.

My location list has the breakdown of which stages are the unique stage(s) in each rally (the ones highlighted blue). The second post also has a link to a Google Maps thing that shows exactly where each stage and road is in real life.

16 (and a bit) out of the 26 unique stages are real WRC stages.

Last edited:

A few copied pictures don't make a good racing game.
WRC has so many bugs and flaws that I don't think they will solve it and fear EA will abandon it with the next WRC Season.
Also on PC it's so much stuttering with the UE4 Engine and until now they couldn't solve this basic problem (don't let us speak about handling, triple screen or VR).

Unfortunately the best Rally game is the very old RBR after that Dirt Rally 2 is the best modern Rally game, even if it has it's flaws with the rotating center of the car.

Last edited:
A few copied pictures don't make a good racing game.
WRC has so many bugs and flaws that I don't think they will solve it and fear EA will abandon it with the next WRC Season.
Also on PC it's so much stuttering with the UE4 Engine and until now they couldn't solve this basic problem (don't let us speak about handling, triple screen or VR).

Unfortunately the best Rally game is the very old RBR after that Dirt Rally 2 is the best modern Rally game, even if it has it's flaws with the rotating center of the car.
I highly doubt it will be abandoned, there’s a 5 year licensing deal in place so at the very least they’ll see that out, and hopefully beyond. We know triple screen and VR are coming, and frankly they’re low priority to the majority. EA didn’t spend over $1b to not utilise Codemasters strengths.

I guess experience of the rest depends on system and what not, my experience on XSX has been excellent, minimal stuttering throughout all the updates, virtually eradicated in the last one. PS5 and certain PC configurations have it worse, certainly seems they switched a setting to alleviate stuttering that introduced the screen tearing.

Dirt Rally 2.0 is very very good but to me EAWRC does beat it in every aspect apart from not having Wales and Scotland. Rotating centre point also isn’t a thing, been debunked a while ago for both DR2.0 and EAWRC.

I think DR2.0 and EAS WRC compliment each other quite well actually. DR has better graphics and runs better, EA WRC had better handling and general immersion. What I like is that there's little crossover between the two on the events. DR has (off the top of my head) Poland, Scotland, Wales, New England, Argentina, Australia, Germany that aren't in the newer game, EA WRC has at least as many again that aren't in DR mainly the modern WRC rounds. It means that if you're wanting a full flavour of pretty much every WRC event ever ran and you've got both of these games on your HDD, you're covered. It means both games remain relevant, for me anyway, and EAS WRC felt 'properly' new, much more than where games are just iterations of each other with the same stages etc.

Just add in obscure ones like Ivory Coast from the late 80s and you've pretty much got it all.

Last edited:
even if it has it's flaws with the rotating center of the car.
This is a common misconception.

I checked with our physics team, no Codemasters game for the past 10 years, maybe even longer, has had anything close to a "central pivot" system.

Without revealing too much, the handling model is related to the grip and power delivery transmitted to each wheel directly, and how each wheel and the other aspects of the car interact with the road surfaces and environment.

DiRT Rally 2.0's problem, particularly on tarmac, was that the grip of the rear tyres was too low, which allowed cars to rotate too easily. That combined with the rotational qualities of the external cameras lead to this misconception.

EA SPORTS WRC addressed this issue while also adding and refining several other aspects of the physics, most notably drivetrain inertia, aerodynamics, ride height (including rake) and surface physics.

I believe this was mentioned in a DirtFish podcast recently, but there's over 80 different kinds of surface details in the game and while the differences between some may be minor, it all adds up.

Last edited:
If anyone's interested it seems the Irish rally is as good as set, just government funding is all that can F it up.
Waterford is gonna host it for 2025, obviously being where Craig Breen is from is what pushed it I imagine. Can't think of many good stages there but maybe the V would be cool.
Limerick then for 2026 which I'm not excited about really.
And Kerry all the way ahead in 2027, so saving the best to last imo.

I don’t think the years are confirmed yet, just that the 3 counties will share if they get the event and funding.

Selfishly I’m hoping Limerick is 2025 because that gives me a good excuse to fly home (also so that I can badger Codies to put my old house in as an Easter egg 😄).

Last edited:
Hey everyone, hoping someone can help me with this. I just finished my first season and I'm wondering what I did wrong here. I came in first in the FWD Extreme championship using a H2 FWD car, yet I still lost benefactor relationship. Honestly I'm really unsure what I did wrong. Any ideas? Thanks!
Pic 1
Pic 2

It really annoys me how the smallest error can completely ruin your rally. After the second last stage of Rally Sweden in the WRC2 Citroen, I was sitting 6th in the overall standings with a shot to improve my position to 4th or 3rd if I was really lucky. The last stage started off quite well and I had a good run going, right until the point where I hit an immovable street sign. That stuffed my engine, resulting in a loss of power so when I crossed the line, I ended up a lot further behind than I would've like and dropped outside the top 10 to 11th in the overall classification. I left the event with nothing to show for it. What a massive disappointment.

Do I need to continue to own EA Play for extra moments or were those extra EA Play moments only in the first season? I'm not seeing any EA play ones this season and i'm only subbed to it for the extra WRC content.

Do I need to continue to own EA Play for extra moments or were those extra EA Play moments only in the first season? I'm not seeing any EA play ones this season and i'm only subbed to it for the extra WRC content.
Perhaps they're not flagged for EA Play subscribers but I definitely remember seeing at least one paywalled moment this season.

My subscription recently ran out and I’m currently on 5 locked EA Play moments. I didn’t complete them, but the ones that I completed in season one have their medals while being locked. Therefore, I’ll wait for the current season to end before getting another subscription to complete the current ones.

There’ll be some every season, I think there’s been a few in Season 2 so far. I can’t really say I pay much attention to them tbh as EA Play is part of my GPU subscription.

It really annoys me how the smallest error can completely ruin your rally. After the second last stage of Rally Sweden in the WRC2 Citroen, I was sitting 6th in the overall standings with a shot to improve my position to 4th or 3rd if I was really lucky. The last stage started off quite well and I had a good run going, right until the point where I hit an immovable street sign. That stuffed my engine, resulting in a loss of power so when I crossed the line, I ended up a lot further behind than I would've like and dropped outside the top 10 to 11th in the overall classification. I left the event with nothing to show for it. What a massive disappointment.
Yep, that's rally! Ask Carlos Sainz Snr how much the final stage of a rally can mess up your life :scared:

Yep, welcome to Rallying... :lol:

Perhaps they're not flagged for EA Play subscribers but I definitely remember seeing at least one paywalled moment this season.

There’ll be some every season, I think there’s been a few in Season 2 so far. I can’t really say I pay much attention to them tbh as EA Play is part of my GPU subscription.
I believe I am still subbed to it but I cant remember coming across any moments with the EA Play logo like before. In the last season there were loads. For the sake of £3.99 I guess it's easier just to leave it.

If you check the league thread a couple of us had similar experiences but just shrugged and got on with the next stage. Perhaps there should be a warning on the back of the box like with the previous game?
previous game
DiRT Rally 2.0 dares you to carve your way through a selection of iconic rally locations from across the globe, in the most powerful off-road vehicles ever made, knowing that the smallest mistake could end your stage.

Last edited:
Yeah, **** flashbacks. Rallying is meant to be like that.
Crikey, flashbacks, couldn’t even tell you what the last rally game to have those in was.

I think they’d be disabled in clubs and time trials anyway as games like F1 that do feature them ‘dirty’ any time that is gained with a flashback.

Latest Posts

Back