Engine Swap / Drivetrain Swap

• Thread starter Brainhulk
  • 466 comments

Should engine/drivetrain swaps be in included in GT55?

• include both engine and drivetrain swaps

Votes: 406 61.9%
  • engine swap only

Votes: 88 13.4%
  • drivetrain swap only

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • Neither, just release the game already

Votes: 52 7.9%
  • I don't want engine or drivetrain swaps at all, they do not belong in Gran Turismo series heritage a

Votes: 103 15.7%

• Total voters
I don't think that a AWD Viper sporting a V10 is actually feasible, you'd have to move the engine forward and possibly raise it to get the AWD system in there. There goes that car's balance, braking distance just went out the window, cornering balance takes a serious hit and the car is even more front heavy than before.

Actually the Viper is heavier at the rear than at the front, despite it being front-engined. That's why it tends to understeer in corners and the tail snaps when pushing the throttle too hard.

Anyway, I'd like engine swaps and drivetrain swaps to be possible in the game. I wouldn't mind swapping an RB25 in an S14.

I'd welcome engine/drivetrain swapping in GT5.If we can play with off road biased suvs, i'd have a BMW or Jag v12 in a swb Landcruiser LJ70.But isn't likely to fit, as they are quite big in the engine bay.Or install a cummins diesel engine.

Last edited:
I say both... once it could fit go for it. that ups the competition cause you won't know beside the PP what the other guy is running.

Last edited:
I like the Idea of swapping both. It will be good for online race competition, but really bad for time trials leaderboard competition. Imagine the Forza effect kicking in:D

Actually the Viper is heavier at the rear than at the front, despite it being front-engined. That's why it tends to understeer in corners and the tail snaps when pushing the throttle too hard.

Basically I do not agree with your weight distribution theory.

I say (and this is based on IRL experience):
Nose-heavy = understeer (allmost every Audi)
Tail-heavy = oversteer (Ruf Yellowbird, an E30 Touring)

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

And now back on topic:

Yes, I definitely want engine & drivetrain swaps.
Since there is a V8 that's lighter (200 lbs / 90 kg) than the originally installed inline 4 (145 kg)
I'd put one of these (Hartley Enterprises V8, 2 Hayabusa engines merged)
105_assembled.jpg

in one of these
7641d1012189970-my-91-318is-my318isbadass1.jpg

Of course neither one will be in the game, but one can always hope, right?

Last edited:
If engine and drivetrain swaps are included that will be a MASSIVE disappointment for me.
I would rather have rewind than that gimmick.

If engine and drivetrain swaps are included that will be a MASSIVE disappointment for me.

Gimmick? The proof is in the pudding. If done properly, then there will be no way to call it a gimmick. Unless we were to be horrendously bitter...

In fact, this whole discussion is a bit like the ongoing discussions regarding the Move, 3D-display etc.

If a "feature" makes it in, and you so hate it, don't use it. Don't bother it and it shall have no legitimacy in bothering you.

How can you even compare an entirely fictional and impossible gameplay cheat to a tuning method that has been used on real cars for decades.

If turbo upgrades are included that will be a MASSIVE disappointment for me.
I would rather have rewind than that gimmick

I like the Idea of swapping both. It will be good for online race competition, but really bad for time trials leaderboard competition. Imagine the Forza effect kicking in:D

Au contraire, inclusion such of options in online would make it unbearable.

Look at the Forza and look what's going on there. Whole "points class limiting system" made Public online obnoxious beyond any measure imaginable.

If anything such would be included, those modified cars could only be run in private races or Free Run, not Public Lobbies and not Time Trial IMO.

If turbo upgrades are included that will be a MASSIVE disappointment for me.
I would rather have rewind than that gimmick
:lol:

Just to piggyback this post, I know that freewheeling drivetrain swaps are a sore point with many of you, but I don't get the whole engine swap phobia. You can usually upgrade an engine in Gran Turismo to be more powerful, often WAY more powerful, than a typical proper engine swap.

Likewise with drivetrain swaps - usually to AWD. They can't be done properly to all that many cars. And unless it's done properly, the balance is off, and makes the car heavier anyway.

So on these points, I think you guys just need some perspective. ;)

:lol:

Just to piggyback this post, I know that freewheeling drivetrain swaps are a sore point with many of you, but I don't get the whole engine swap phobia. You can usually upgrade an engine in Gran Turismo to be more powerful, often WAY more powerful, than a typical proper engine swap.

Likewise with drivetrain swaps - usually to AWD. They can't be done properly to all that many cars. And unless it's done properly, the balance is off, and makes the car heavier anyway.

So on these points, I think you guys just need some perspective. ;)

But you can also upgrade the engine that you swap in. So the idea is, you get one with more "potential" (for your given application) than the stock beast.

Dropping RB25s / RB26s in early Z-Cars is a classic example of the sort of potential that can be unlocked. It doesn't just have to be about power, some swaps are for economy, for weight (look at the 2011 'Stang) etc. etc.
It's about experimentation, or maybe you're just particularly fond of a given chassis and want a bit more poke - whatever, it's not a pointless excercise in the least.

EDIT:
That Hartley Enterprises motor reminds me a lot of the critter in the Radical SR8...

Basically I do not agree with your weight distribution theory.

I say (and this is based on IRL experience):
Nose-heavy = understeer (allmost every Audi)
Tail-heavy = oversteer (Ruf Yellowbird, an E30 Touring)

👍 Yep, not just based on IRL experience, but also theoretic as putting in a lighter engine will reduce understeer dramatically, as for Audi, they used to put the engine far up in the front of the engine bay ( even slightly in front of the front-axle ) and only very recently put the engine further back for better weight distribution.

Makes me wonder if this engine-swap feature ( which I have to say gets me more excited when I think of the possibilties, given that it will be accurately and realistically implemented to PD's usual standard ) if indeed implemented also allowes a certain amount of freedom where to place the engine/gearbox.

I wouldn't mind converting an AWD car into a RWD, but not the other way around ( similar for FF or MR, RR ) as there probably should be some limits applied but I wouldn't mind putting in a bigger engine and decide to place it ( within the physical limits of that car ofcourse ) slightly further back ( or more to the front ) and fit the ( custom ) gearbox closer to the rear-axle to fundamentally change the weight distribution in the way you see fit.

This also happens for example when converting a road car into a touring car racer ( the only similarity often being the styling of those cars ) and for those doubting the realism of engine swaps/customization, just do some research and you'll find it is very common.
Not just DIY ofcourse ( as there are limits in knowhow, technical resources and finance ) but also professional racing/tuning companies do it all the time.

I think this is what makes a fundamental difference in what people think is real or desired regarding this feature in GT5, whether they see themselves, whilst playing, as themselves with more resources perhaps than IRL but still having a DIY approach to car tuning/customization ( nothing wrong with that, btw ).
Or they can imagine, whilst playing, being a professional cartuner with all sorts of possibilties they couldn't dream of IRL ( but still feasible/realistic ) made quite easy within the context of a game.:)

So don't use them, what's the big deal?
Why would it be disappointing when it doesn't have to affect you?

But you can also upgrade the engine that you swap in. So the idea is, you get one with more "potential" (for your given application) than the stock beast.
In case I was misunderstood - looks like I was, I'm saying that engine swaps should be no big deal, because we've been able to give cars insane amounts of power in all the previous versions of GT already. I fully associate myself with the remarks made by analog and yourself. 👍

Edit: including some drivetrain swaps. ;)

Its possible to turn FWD car into AWD car , but in GT5 it should be super expensive. FM3 you could do it but its too cheap.

If anything such would be included, those modified cars could only be run in private races or Free Run, not Public Lobbies and not Time Trial IMO.

Agreed, I would like some to fool around making some realistic hybrids but I don't want them on public servers/races and time trials.

If it was only select races it would be kind of cool as a "find the best of the best" style of modding.

But I agree that for the most part it would be better for online races if cars didn't have this sort of thing going on.

Hey I understand that thing about the viper being slightly(and i do mean slightly) ass heavy, adding about 200+ pounds to the front of the car will throw that cars' balance off by a great deal. The ACR is 49.5/50.5 Front to rear weight distribution considering that car is 3406lbs, AWD system tossed in there would make it seriously front heavy ad the car is FR by default, all the new parts would be in the front to allow power for the front wheels. Unless they allow removal of entire drive line, reassamble the motor to make it FF, then add the AWD system to power the rear wheels, maybe they can save on weight distribution. Even then you would have to change your entire suspension setup to cope with the weight, something which a game that will remain unnamed doesn't even address. Another thing aside from engine swapping that i find odd, how is it you can toss gobs of power into a motor, but can still run a stock transmission, that is completely unrealistic, it's rare for that to even be feasible as most consumer vehicles transmissions are not rated to take the HP amounts I've seen added to these cars. There are no HP limits on type of transmissions at all, that's just stupid. Your car should suffer breakdown or a blown transmission if you race using a stock transmission with well over stock HP. The Mc Laren F1 LM springs to mind as a car that could barely cope with it's own stock HP during racing applications.

Very unrealistic, and it would complicate things way too much.
What's unrealistic? A 599 engine in an NSX or engine swaps? Because there's nothing unrealistic about engine swaps.

What's unrealistic? A 599 engine in an NSX or engine swaps? Because there's nothing unrealistic about engine swaps.
Mounting an engine that won't fit in a car without mods is realistic? Especially without a:nervous: tranny that will match to the engine. All in all its not realistic, unless all components are thoroughly introduced. Weight distribution would have to also be accounted for.

imagine a f599 ferrari engine in a honda nsx
both med engine .. both rear wheel drive .. it should work
this is soooo cooooool

The 599 may be classed as Mid Engine but it it is still set up like a Front Engine with the gearbox in the rear.

An NSX has the engine rotated 90 degrees like a FWD car. So this won't work.

unless you turn the ferrari engine around and mount it to the nsx box.

And that would just depend on if there's room in the engine bay for the ferrari lump.

unless you turn the ferrari engine around and mount it to the nsx box.

And that would just depend on if there's room in the engine bay for the ferrari lump.

Short answer, no. Long answer, nooooooooooooooo. I doubt the massive engine from the 599 could fit into the engine bay of an NSX, where there is already very little extra space.

Back