Engine Swaps in Gran Turismo 7? New Screenshots Raise New Questions

• Thread starter Famine
  • 461 comments
its my less favourite but i wouldnt go as far as saying is the worst one, considering its quite more reliable than the e46, plus, at the time the e36 had a great impact as far a chassis dynamics goes and still does, you dont see more e36s than e36s at most trackdays, and it isnt because of cost

anyway, thanks for elaborating!

a case could be made with the e36 m3 saloon, the 318i was important on jtcc races, it fits the game more than the e36 does to be fair
No, it's definitely because of cost.

It's by far the worst of the M3's, which it's still a pretty damn good car, but being last on the list still makes it the worst.

The E30 M3 not need this Engine. The E30 is PERFECT simle
I agree. You add power but at the cost of handling and front end weight. The best engine mod would be a slight bore or forced induction.

You can tell 95% of people in this tread have never done an engine swap IRL and 80% have never turned a wrench in their life. I think I just read somebody suggesting an civic with a Renault v6 lol

The Beetle alone suggests otherwise. You can't fit a Porsche flat-six into a Beetle's engine bay. The only way to keep it entirely inside the body is to remove the back seats and put an engine cradle in.

Yes, this has been done in the real world :lol:
a Porsche motor into a beetle is a very common swap. I think the engine swaps will be what are very common IRL. After reading this whole thread I hope engine swaps AREN'T in the game because most of you belong playing Forza instead.

I agree. You add power but at the cost of handling and front end weight. The best engine mod would be a slight bore or forced induction.

You can tell 95% of people in this tread have never done an engine swap IRL and 80% have never turned a wrench in their life. I think I just read somebody suggesting an civic with a Renault v6 lol

a Porsche motor into a beetle is a very common swap. I think the engine swaps will be what are very common IRL. After reading this whole thread I hope engine swaps AREN'T in the game because most of you belong playing Forza instead.
You can fit just about anything into anything if you have the drive to make it happen. Making it street legal is another thing entirely. And I say that as someone who has done or been involved with plenty of conversions over the years. The stupidest being a 350 chev into a Lloyd TS600. It belonged to one of my cousins, not street legal of course, but it did everything it was supposed to do, it was especially good at trying to turn itself inside out. lol.

I do agree with you though on the best option being limiting to swaps that are at least sane and realistic. Just because something can be done doesnt make it a good idea.

Last edited:
Here is example on engine swap that I like

I love it! We could do something similar if PD brought back this Screenshot_2022-02-09-10-03-52-904_com.microsoft.bing.pngOr thisScreenshot_2022-02-09-10-04-35-834_com.microsoft.bing.png

You are Right.. my "biggest Projekt" was an Turbo swap/Upgrade, but for this i also need Help from 2 "Mechanik" Friends. One helps out with his knowlege "how to do" and the other one change/moddify my Car Software. But it was an awesome Projekt.. for me expensive and i have see/learn much.

Not a Renault V6 but a Renault inspired build and you probably could jimmy a Renault one in there if you have the means.

I remember when the unofficial swaps were the thing in GT5, I asked my friend to make me an S2000 with the v8 from HSV-010. That thing screamed.

It also had the lightened chassis from either Spoon or Opera performance S2000 with max weight reductions, ended up somewhere close to 800kg.

And now that the NA2 NSX makes its return, hopefully I can swap either a Supergt spec v6 or v8 into it.

The game contains cars powered by lasers and materials that don't exist but you're concerned about unrealistic engine swaps?

a Porsche motor into a beetle is a very common swap.
Yep, absolutely is. Just because something is difficult doesn't mean it's not done.

Not quite sure what the rest of the post is intending to convey or why it's a response to mine. The flat-six, as I said, physically doesn't fit inside the Beetle engine bay - you can go find this out with a tape measure if you like - so you either need to hang it out back with the lid up, or ditch the rear seats.

That's why more Porsche-to-Beetle engine swaps involve the flat-four (people like the Boxster engine, but it has to be turned round), because the Beetle itself used a flat-four so it's hardly a Herculean effort. Even more use the Subaru flat-four, because it's about two orders of magnitude easier to source - and cheaper.

Of course you could just put a Type 4 engine in and say it's a Porsche engine because it was in the 914/6...

No, it's definitely because of cost.

It's by far the worst of the M3's, which it's still a pretty damn good car, but being last on the list still makes it the worst.
the e46 might be better on chassis dynamics but if you go to the track its a given you are already improving that, same with engine, plus, the e46 have a chassis malfunction that will eventually make them break, the engine isnt as reliable as the e36, but yes, more powerful, but again, if you are hitting the track, you will eventually tuned it or swap it

people dont own an m3 e36 over an e46 because of cost, at least thats how i see it

You can fit just about anything into anything if you have the drive to make it happen. Making it street legal is another thing entirely. And I say that as someone who has done or been involved with plenty of conversions over the years. The stupidest being a 350 chev into a Lloyd TS600. It belonged to one of my cousins, not street legal of course, but it did everything it was supposed to do, it was especially good at trying to turn itself inside out. lol.

I do agree with you though on the best option being limiting to swaps that are at least sane and realistic. Just because something can be done doesnt make it a good idea.
i assume it will come down to swaps that are doable without cutting the frame

the e46 might be better on chassis dynamics but if you go to the track its a given you are already improving that, same with engine, plus, the e46 have a chassis malfunction that will eventually make them break, the engine isnt as reliable as the e36, but yes, more powerful, but again, if you are hitting the track, you will eventually tuned it or swap it

people dont own an m3 e36 over an e46 because of cost, at least thats how i see it
Again, it's definitely down to cost.

An extremely good condition E36 M3 here in the US is ~$15,000

An E46 M3 in the same condition is at LEAST double, if not triple/quadruple that.

Again, it's definitely down to cost.

An extremely good condition E36 M3 here in the US is ~$15,000

An E46 M3 in the same condition is at LEAST double, if not triple/quadruple that.
yeah, and whats your point? cost doesnt prove how good a car is

But here we only talk about "normal" Engines.. right?
What if we think about all possible Engines. I think the "Basic" E30 M3 Race Engine dont need any Upgrade/Swap.

Good =/= popular. Resale and demand for the E46 is much stronger and higher than the E36 due to its popularity and higher standing as an M3. Speaking generally anyway.

Also depends where in the world you are. The E36 seems to have more of a following in the USA whereas the E46 leans more on the European markets but that's just my view.

My point is that a whole lot of people "settle" with an E36 M3 over purchasing an E46 straight up due to cost.

They own an E36 because it costs less and is easier to get into than an E46.

This was my favorite part of today's State of Play stream. I have never had an XBox, but had a few interactions with various Forza Motorsport titles in the past (I don't remember which versions). One (or more) of those titles did support some very tasteful engine swaps. Really looking forward to finally getting a chance to do this in GT7.
I'm a massive GT fan. Played them all to 100% except Sport. My favorite video game series. But I did buy an Xbox 360 toward the end of it's life cycle and bought Forza 4 (I did briefly play all the others as well). I'm a little ashamed to admit that was the most fun I ever had with a game. The engine swaps were so much fun and added a TON of depth. Not to mention the livery editor has yet to be equaled IMO.

You could swap engines within the same manufacturer. But putting a heavily tuned GTR engine into the Datsun 510, or something like that, was a blast. Hopefully GT does this right! I'm so excited for it

Apart from Forza, the only game I can think of that had licensed cars and engine swaps are NFS Heat. Each car can have anywhere between 4-13 choices for a swap. The engines are only listed by layout and displacement but it's quite obvious where it comes from. GT puts the actual engine name in there so I doubt we'll see as many choices, we'll see. Personally, I like to keep things pure so I probably won't be swapping much (and I expect it to be VERY costly, probably as much as a Racing Modification in previous games). Probably it's a permanent upgrade as well so you can't take it off, and you have to buy a new car instead.

Last edited:
I'm a massive GT fan. Played them all to 100% except Sport. My favorite video game series. But I did buy an Xbox 360 toward the end of it's life cycle and bought Forza 4 (I did briefly play all the others as well). I'm a little ashamed to admit that was the most fun I ever had with a game. The engine swaps were so much fun and added a TON of depth. Not to mention the livery editor has yet to be equaled IMO.

You could swap engines within the same manufacturer. But putting a heavily tuned GTR engine into the Datsun 510, or something like that, was a blast. Hopefully GT does this right! I'm so excited for it
Forza 4 was yeah, the magnum opus of Forza, like GT with games like GT4 or such. And Forza 4 would offer more due to Forza reaching its peak on a more advanced console than PS2.

But turns out Forza was not so different on GT, it didn't really reach said peak level again after FM4, like GT after PS3 era.

I WILL SOUND STUPID..BUT WHAT IF!!
TOMAHAWK ENGINE IN REDBULL X2014 STANDARD 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
If any Tomahawk engine, especially the X, makes it into even one other car... madness will ensue.
Mildest case scenario, 2600hp Vipers become a mainstay of SSRX lobbies (and spill onto the Nürburgring, where they'll fly backwards up the straight)
Full apocalypse: the Tomahawk X V10 spreads throughout the Stellantis collection, into the Alfa Romeo 8C, Lancia Delta, Willys Jeep and Citroën DS3. Hopefully it gets its own lobby checkbox or none of us are safe.

A popular engine swap here in sweden was Buick/Rover 215cu.in aluminium v8 in volvo 140 and 240 series.They weight about the same as the 140 and 240 B-18-b-23 straight four.

There was a tab in the mod shop after race parts, there was an extreme tab but they didn't show what was in it during the video.

Last edited:
There was a tab in the mod shop after race parts, there was an extreme tab but they didn't show what was in it during the video.
They never showed Extreme tab until now, but at least now it's known that there'd be at least 1 new big addition in this Engine Swap.

And wondering what'd be the additions from the lackluster of part line up in GT5/GT6, they seem to have 4 kit of Turbo again (low, mid, high, ultra-high RPM), but they didn't use "super" for the tyres (Super Soft/Hard) so probably would have another parts taking its place for 60+ number.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back