Fanatec Reveals Direct Drive ClubSport DD and DD+ Wheel Bases: Available to Pre-Order Now

• Thread starter Famine
  • 514 comments
So, I saw that today the DD+ is open for preorders again. Have been looking into the steering wheels and have some additional questions.

So, I like this wheel for example:
The problem is that I don't like the fact that the buttons are 'too specific' and too oddly placed.

Currently on my CSL wheel, I have the buttons to look back, or quit game etc on the wheel itself like on this wheel:
Currently the buttons work out of the box in both PC and PS5 and are pretty much used in the same way in all games.

If I am not mistaken, the wheel closest to what I am looking for would be this one, right?
...which is darn expensive and too heavy* as well, but would the buttons be recognized by PC/PS games? I still don't get how the compatibility thing works, but am almost certain you would have to manually set stuff. And I also need to buy a QR2 non-lite wheel adapter, right?

* A wheel being too heavy leads to another issue - I am playing using the WheelstandPro base, which holds my CSL Elite PS4 base nicely, but the DD+ itself is twice the weight on its own, so adding extra weight from the wheel is not a really good idea.

Hopefully you understand my needs - what would you guys recommend for my case?
If you NEED a mobile solution, This is probably your best bet. But nothing is going to match a solid rig for a DD base when running higher torque values.

This is a pretty good review too for a previously mentioned wheel stand

If you NEED a mobile solution, This is probably your best bet. But nothing is going to match a solid rig for a DD base when running higher torque values.

This is a pretty good review too for a previously mentioned wheel stand

Thanks for the reply - this is what I was checking out myself. However, no place to store the DD base, I have contacted next level to see if the foldable Wheel Stand 2.0 is up to the task.

Availability date for the DD+ has been updated on Fanatec website. now it is showing Feb 29, 2024 but still open for pre-orders

Still says Jan 17 on my order as well. Either the new date is for new orders, or they haven’t updated existing orders.
Now my order says availability date is ... today, Jan. 10. Haven't received any email from Fanatec about this, though. Until I get the email that says it's about to ship or has shipped, I'm not going to trust anything LOL. Interesting, though, that Fanatec must have actively gone and changed that date on my (and I'm sure many others') order info. Why would you move the date to EARLIER than it was showing yesterday with the Jan. 17 availability date, unless you were about to ship them? So much nonsense going on.

Now my order says availability date is ... today, Jan. 10. Haven't received any email from Fanatec about this, though. Until I get the email that says it's about to ship or has shipped, I'm not going to trust anything LOL. Interesting, though, that Fanatec must have actively gone and changed that date on my (and I'm sure many others') order info. Why would you move the date to EARLIER than it was showing yesterday with the Jan. 17 availability date, unless you were about to ship them? So much nonsense going on.
My account also changed. My DD Plus order changed from the 17th to the 10th today. I had a separate order from Black Friday show up at my office this afternoon. That order had also been delayed and Fanatec told me as much in a separate email to me. For that order, I received an email first thing in the morning on Monday "your order is being processed" to a follow up email yesterday (Tuesday) with the Fed Ex tracking number. And today it showed up. (For context sake, I work 30 minutes away from the Fanatec fulfilment warehouse in So Cal) Once orders ship, I get them the next day. With the status changing to the 10th, I bet I will get the "order is processing" email tomorrow morning, then shipped the following day. That's my hope at least. =)

FMW
My account also changed. My DD Plus order changed from the 17th to the 10th today. I had a separate order from Black Friday show up at my office this afternoon. That order had also been delayed and Fanatec told me as much in a separate email to me. For that order, I received an email first thing in the morning on Monday "your order is being processed" to a follow up email yesterday (Tuesday) with the Fed Ex tracking number. And today it showed up. (For context sake, I work 30 minutes away from the Fanatec fulfilment warehouse in So Cal) Once orders ship, I get them the next day. With the status changing to the 10th, I bet I will get the "order is processing" email tomorrow morning, then shipped the following day. That's my hope at least. =)
Me, too, as I also live not far from the California warehouse. Usually get my stuff within one or two days after it ships as well LOL

Last edited:
Times are different now, but fanatec did just publicly shame sony for not completing their approval process in time. I doubt that decision came lightly especially given the drama of the past year.

Same im lucky to be in northern cali and usually get them overnight.
So, I don't think the change of date on our accounts meant anything. Mine went from January 17 to January 10 earlier this week. It's now the 12th and I have not received the normal email that says "You're order is now being processed at the warehouse". I'm thinking the change on our accounts was just a glitch. Oh well, more time to be had on the GT DD Pro for the weekend. 🤪

FMW
So, I don't think the change of date on our accounts meant anything. Mine went from January 17 to January 10 earlier this week. It's now the 12th and I have not received the normal email that says "You're order is now being processed at the warehouse". I'm thinking the change on our accounts was just a glitch. Oh well, more time to be had on the GT DD Pro for the weekend. 🤪
Yep. Mine still says the 10th but obviously it means zero. I'll be on the GT DD Pro till then as well. Have a friend who's on standby to buy it from me whenever the DD+ actually arrives. But I'm not sweating it. I'm traveling for work for a few days next week (actually going to Ford Performance's racing HQ in Charlotte) so hoping there's an update on the status by the time I come home. It'll be mid-January by then, which is when Fanatec said it hoped to have an update. Not that I trust these guys on anything they say at this point LOL

So Fanatec said nothing for all of CES? Still absolutely no word on FullForce implementations? I get that they are knee deep in logistics and PR problems, but does that mean nothing moves forward? Surely their software guys are not in the warehouses or customer support trying to put out fires?

So Fanatec said nothing for all of CES? Still absolutely no word on FullForce implementations? I get that they are knee deep in logistics and PR problems, but does that mean nothing moves forward? Surely their software guys are not in the warehouses or customer support trying to put out fires?
The CS DD/DD+ have the function ready, it's up to the game developers to implement Fullforce. What does that have to do with Fanatec?

The CS DD/DD+ have the function ready, it's up to the game developers to implement Fullforce. What does that have to do with Fanatec?
First of all, a lot. If you build an API, then you very much need to branch out and actively get it implemented to the target software. If you don't, it won't. Second of all, who says it's ready? Fanatec surely hasn't (and that is another part of what my original question has to do with Fanatec: communicating about the progress to their end users). The latest somewhat credible word I've heard was Boosted Media saying "what we're testing here isn't necessarily 100% representative of the final product". If the API is 100% working, I don't think it would be very difficult at all for PD to basically convert their Trueforce implementation to FullForce API. Sure, PD aren't the most nimble of partners, but I'd still say they have a better track record of getting things done in a given time than Fanatec. And given that it's just as silent on the iRacing side of things (and those non-plus DDs have been out there for some time already), I'd say Fanatec looks more likely to have forgotten about doing something with their main selling point.

FMW
Did you order QR2 as well? What's the date on that?
My account also updated to Jan 10 for the wheel, but the QR2 still shows Jan 15 for me.
So was curious if you had that in your order as well, or if the Jan 10 is just BS all around.

My account also updated to Jan 10 for the wheel, but the QR2 still shows Jan 15 for me.
So was curious if you had that in your order as well, or if the Jan 10 is just BS all around.
Slightly related to this topic, I have a separate order which contains a QR2, which is currently listed as Jan 5.
You may notice that that's in the past.
It hasn't shipped yet...

My DD+ is still saying the 17th.

My QR2 was a separate order. That was placed on Black Friday for my Dad's rig. My DD+ was ordered on October the same day it went live on their site. So, two separate orders. The QR2 ordered showed up last week. As a matter of policy, FANATEC doesn't ship your order until 100% of the order is in stock. Thank goodness I had two separate orders going because I really wanted my dad to try the QR2.

Slightly related to this topic, I have a separate order which contains a QR2, which is currently listed as Jan 5.
You may notice that that's in the past.
It hasn't shipped yet...

My DD+ is still saying the 17th.
Well, just got an update on the QR2 order. It got moved to Feb 25 😔

No update on the DD+ yet

I predict that we won't see these bases shipped until late February based on the most current availability date on their website. The delivery dates that people are reporting from their accounts, original or otherwise updated (JAN 17 to JAN 10 in my case) appears to be some glitch in their system or their system is not robust enough to be updated easily.

FMW
I predict that we won't see these bases shipped until late February based on the most current availability date on their website. The delivery dates that people are reporting from their accounts, original or otherwise updated (JAN 17 to JAN 10 in my case) appears to be some glitch in their system or their system is not robust enough to be updated easily.
They mentioned mid January in their latest update though, so I wouldn't call that a glitch.

FMW
Nah. I’d find that quite surprising. But hey, who knows with these guys.

That February 29th date I mentioned from my post yesterday is starting to look more like reality now. I really don't foresee the approval process being rushed. SONY like most other Japanese companies, including the one I work and market for, do things at their pace. It's not speedy by any stretch of the imagination.

FMW
That February 29th date I mentioned from my post yesterday is starting to look more like reality now. I really don't foresee the approval process being rushed. SONY like most other Japanese companies, including the one I work and market for, do things at their pace. It's not speedy by any stretch of the imagination.
Yeah, maybe you're right :lol:
Based on what I see in online comments, I probably have more patience than just about anyone for receiving this thing, but it's a total cluster**** for sure. The fact Fanatec at this point isn't actively offering those of us who ordered already months ago some kind of good-will compensation is absurd. What that should look like, I don't know, and I'm pretty reasonable and don't expect a 40 percent discount on the DD+ or something I know they'll never do. But a $100 voucher or something for future orders or whatever would go a long way in my mind. I'm sure that wouldn't be enough in the minds of many other people, but at least it would be something. Not doing ANYTHING other than these lame email updates is pretty egregious as this point.

Last edited:
Yeah, maybe you're right :lol:
Based on what I see in online comments, I probably have more patience than just about anyone for receiving this thing, but it's a total cluster**** for sure. The fact Fanatec at this point isn't actively offering those of us who ordered already months ago some kind of good-will compensation is absurd. What that should look like, I don't know, and I'm pretty reasonable and don't expect a 40 percent discount on the DD+ or something I know they'll never do. But a $100 voucher or something for future orders or whatever would go a long way in my mind. I'm sure that wouldn't be enough in the minds of many other people, but at least it would be something. Not doing ANYTHING other than these lame email updates is pretty egregious as this point.
Same here. I'm patient as well. Lots to do during the wait, but I am excited to try it and see how it compares to the DD PRO. I completely understand others points of frustration though. I'm not sure if they thought about vouchers or anything else, though if they do, it's not something that can only be seen as a token of good faith.

As one of the complainers;

Fanatec makes amazing products at a great price for the sim racing community and in my opinion are unmatched in value/product quality ratio.

The only reason they are having this problem is because they make a fantastic product everyone wants.

The logistics are they are a small to mid sized company selling directly to the consumer globally. The expectations that they function as a large enterprise level company diversified in many markets not just sim racing hardware like Logitech with deep pockets and the ability to use funds from other division to cover thier sim racing is absurdly ridiculous. As is the expectation they just hire more people to get them through this bump n the road that they will have to then fire in less than 6 months.

There might be a very small chance it goes south and Sony doesn’t approve it, but Sony is not currently focused on brand buildings so that is very unlikely. The Sony brand is built already and is very strong, and it is more likely than not it will be approved once it reaches the right persons desk in Sony HQ.

My concern is this is causing significant damage to the Fanatec brand. They are the only company doing what they do and if they collapse then a huge hole will be left in the sim racing community that will need another passion driven company in a profit driven world to fill it which I do not foresee occurring at all unless a new currently unknown manufacturer joins the field.

And my biggest fear is Fanatec are not doing or communicating effectively enough to survive this in the long term.

Back