Fastest Car In Your Family?

• Thread starter benzoboy
  • 235 comments
Everybody in my family as far as I know (its been a few years since Ive seen many of my relatives) drive practical cars = not fast. I guess it would have to be a showdown between my uncle's ~98 Pontiac Grand Prix and my dads 00 Impala LS.

Okay, at present it's probably between my Uncle's Modeo ST TDCi and my cousins Mini cooper.

Though my othe rcousin might be getting a Focus ST220. My family needs to stop being practical.

My dad used to have a 94' Z-28 but was forced to sell it because of having four kids and only four seats in that thing. Since then nothing "fast" has been owned by my family until 3 days ago my sister bought a 06' Chevy Cobalt SS. It's got a supercharged 2 liter in-line 4 that makes 205 hp. Even with that I still think my dads Avalanche could beat it in a straight line but not at anything else.

If I get the car I want then I'll have the fastest car. I'm saving up for a 94'-97' Z-28 preferably like my dads old one.

As much as I hate to say it, my dad wins hands down, he's got an '05 G35 Coupe 6MT. 298HP. He wants to do some minor mods, but needs to make sure he can reverse them, it's leased.

My WRX is quite a bit behind, with its 227HP, but I'll be making 280HP/285TQ with my upcoming mods, so it'll be a close call, with his extra 18HP and my lighter weight and AWD. Of course, Stage II of my mods will put me at over 300WHP, so it'll be no contest.

"Friend cars" don't even count for me. I know guys with everything from built FDs to R32GTRs, to RB-powered 240s, Evos, STis, M3s, and the list goes on and on.

My brothers Porsche 911 C2, it#ll be the fastest car in the family till next year ;).

Well there's a choice of a Corsa B, a Corsa C, a Pug 106, a deceased Micra and a 3.0 TD 5 Series... ;) I think the BMW might almost have more power than the other 4 put together!

The second fastest car in the family (close family anyway) is my 306 1.9 turbo diesel.

My '02 Impreza 2.5TS (or maybe my dad's '04 Impreza 2.5 TS) but I think the '02 has a slightly better top speed due to the better bodywork. Also mine has a K&N, is well taken care of, broken in, etc...

Me: 1987 Mercedes 300E 177hp
My dad: 2001 BMW 525i 184hp
My dad, again: 2005 F-150 XL (bottom of the line, 4.6l) 230hp
My mom: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee (straight 6) 190hp?

Seriously, i dont know who's is faster, the bimmer or the benz. the benz is A LOT lighter, has a shorter rear end ratio (i think), and has more torque. BUT, the bimmer has an electronically controlled 5-spd auto, with that dumb manual shift option (where as the benz has a hydrolically controlled 4-spd), more horsepower, and wider tires. cause you know these sub-200hp beasts can go through a set of tires in one burnout! :drool: just kidding :grumpy:

whatevar the case may be, STRAIGHT SIXES rule the entire earth. :) i know for a fact, we have 3!

6-cylinders = worse gas milage than a 4cyl & less power than a V8
seriously, my brother has an 03 350Z--nice car,29mgp on the highway---fast to, but it can't run with the Big Dogs & it's horribly out-economized by, say a 98' Grand Am with a 4cyl which gets 34 mpg on the highway, or an 02 civic that got 40 mpg--they sound really cool though--most anyway. No offense, I just think 6cyl is a completely mediocre road

Everyone else names the car simple as that... I have a situation... :lol:

2001 Corolla LE
vs
19984 Mercedes (5 cylinder deisel)

:eek: :confused:

Corolla will top out at 109mph max (more like 104 off my guess since my 4cyl camry topped at *113).

The Merc (on guess) would do upwards of 115 -120, maybe more.

Straight line top speed: Merc

The corolla has a small 4cynlinder with vvt-i tech and low weight (never bothered learning it :confused: ). The torque is suprisingly better than I expected and manages to do quite well at the traffic light. :P

The Merc is big and heavy with only minimal high RPM output. Off of experience driving this thing I know it just can't match the acceleration of the corolla.

Acceleration: Corolla

The Corolla has a shorter wheel base and lower weight. Only the economy tires (70mm side walls) hold it back in optimal conditions.

The Merc has a long wheel base and 60mm sidewall tires. Rear wheel drive will push it hard in tight sections but still gets held back by size and weight. One redeeming quality is the long wheelbase on high speed sections.

Handling: Corolla

So what other elements am I leaving out?
Don't know, I would have posted them if I had known them. :lol:

My bet is the Corolla.
A suprisingly strong engine with low weight and 21st century refinement to the FF drivetrain configuration seems to be more of a sports car than the old ring roller. :lol:

Of course, there's no accounting for taste and feel. :P
Rear wheel drive feels great and shag seat covers make for plush seating. :cheers:

Oddly, I'm still a fan of the econo-rocket. :mischievous: :lol:

I really dont care that much about fuel economy. My parents pay for gas because i drive my little bro around EVERYWHERE! so i think of it as: More power than a 4cyl, cheaper (price, and insurance) than a V8. but when i get out of my AIT in the Army, im gonna get a 1995 E420. same car as what i have now, just newer, and with an all-aluminum V8. And last i heard, the BMW straight 6 (in the new 3series) is one of the best engines ever built. I would hardly consider an M3's engine "mediocre" also.

Kent-stick with the benz! well, thats a little biased, but think about class, and diesel torque. that mercedes will last FOREVER! if you take care of it. i just like looking down the long hood at that classic silver star while im driving. and they're comfy.

300E_guy
Kent-stick with the benz! well, thats a little biased, but think about class, and diesel torque. that mercedes will last FOREVER! if you take care of it.

I'd say the same thing about the Corolla... even if you DON'T take care of it.

But the Benz is an old diesel... those are sweet. A bit smelly, but sweet. My dad used to drive around a 90's 300sd. Pretty good for an oil-burner.

I'm an econo-rocket fan myself, but a Corolla is just zzzzzz compared to other compacts in the range. Still, it's a car you can drive and live with pretty much forever.

niky
I'm an econo-rocket fan myself, but a Corolla is just zzzzzz compared to other compacts in the range.

I'd say that the Corolla is a hardcore zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz compared to the Mercedes in question. :lol:

I mean, I agree that the Corolla wouldn't have much trouble lasting as long as the Mercedes (Toyota reliability and longevity = 👍 ), but a 2001 Corolla just has no character, no personality. Especially when you pit it against an '84 Mercedes. Or any number of other cars from the '80s, for that matter. :D

@Kent: My gut tells me you should go for the Merc. (Or is that my German-car and RWD-car bias...? :dopey: )

Well, I have a grandpa in california with a mint condition '68 Mustang GT with a 289 V8, his brother has an E30 M3. One's good in a straight line and one is good overall.....

as it sit's it's a 362 i think. All steel block that was milled down ~40lbs. Aluminum "ASCS" spec heads. Lightweight billet steel crank. 14.4/1 comp. All titanium valvetrain with stud gurtle. Dry sump oil system with barnes pump. Runs on methanol. Regularly see's 8000rpm. :crazy:

:lol:

I hate to break it to you all but the Corolla is a beast compared to the Merc.

And compared to pretty much all the competitors I raced on the roads, the Corolla is fast as hell.

Yesterday I took a new Mazda 3 because the guys shift time couldn't match the speed and torque of the Corollas auto. :lol:

For real, if you guys have driven a low mileage 2001 Corolla and you honestly think it's slow then you need to let me know what's fast. :boggled:

Civics and the like have never burnt me once in that car... Of course, throw down all the tuning and it's a different story. :rolleyes:

No point comparing a Civic SI to a Corolla LE.
But compared to the comprable models I have to give it to the Corolla, it's fast. 👍

Nothing great, but certainly enough to beat that old mercedes. :lol:
(except on the straight of course :( )

Didn't notice this post before...

LeadSlead#2
6-cylinders = worse gas milage than a 4cyl & less power than a V8
seriously, my brother has an 03 350Z--nice car,29mgp on the highway---fast to, but it can't run with the Big Dogs & it's horribly out-economized by, say a 98' Grand Am with a 4cyl which gets 34 mpg on the highway, or an 02 civic that got 40 mpg--they sound really cool though--most anyway. No offense, I just think 6cyl is a completely mediocre road

Couldn't it also be said that 6-cylinders are good because they offer more power than a 4-cylinder, with better gas mileage than a V8...? :D ;)

Also, there are 6-cylinders that are more powerful than V8s, and others that are more fuel-efficient than 4-cylinders...it all comes down to the displacement, engineering, and intended use. :)

Personally, I think the inline-6 is one of the best (if not the best) engine configuration(s), and they sound awesome. The Flat-6 is right up there too. :)

As for V6's, I think they're ugly-sounding and boring (read: ubiquitous)....seems like every car available with a 4-cylinder has to have that "optional V6"... :indiff: :rolleyes:

@Kent: I never said the Merc was faster. I just said that the Corolla was more boring. :)

In my immediate family, my brother's Eagle Talon TSi Turbo, then the '94 Lexus SC400, next is either my car (88 Acura Legend) or the Aurora.

Not in my immediate family... Hmm.. One of my aunts has a 330i with the M package and a beefed up engine. I think that's pretty much it.

Wolfe2x7
Didn't notice this post before...

Couldn't it also be said that 6-cylinders are good because they offer more power than a 4-cylinder, with better gas mileage than a V8...? :D ;)

Also, there are 6-cylinders that are more powerful than V8s, and others that are more fuel-efficient than 4-cylinders...it all comes down to the displacement, engineering, and intended use. :)

Personally, I think the inline-6 is one of the best (if not the best) engine configuration(s), and they sound awesome. The Flat-6 is right up there too. :)

As for V6's, I think they're ugly-sounding and boring (read: ubiquitous)....seems like every car available with a 4-cylinder has to have that "optional V6"... :indiff: :rolleyes:

@Kent: I never said the Merc was faster. I just said that the Corolla was more boring. :)

Yep, thats what I was kinda saying. Straight 6s are just so smooth!
I've driven my ex-girlfriends 2001 corolla (dont ask what trim it was, i have no idea), all i can say is : SLOW POS. thats my opinion. It sounded like a lawn mower when i TRIED to go fast. And they're so cutsie and cuddly. I like the stately look of the Benz. At least it had a decent stereo. (At the time my car didnt have a radio installed, so thats easy to say). If i were on a tight budget, needed a car that can get me from point A to point B and maybe point C, and dont want to spend the time repairing a cheap Merc, i would get the previous-gen corolla. i just dont like the look of the newer ones.

I can guarantee my 300E is faster than a stock corolla. But we were talking about a diesel benz though, right? How much faster is the gas over the diesel? i should know this, but i dont :)

LeadSlead#2
I knew a guy with a diesel 84 benz... I whooped it with an 89 oldsmobile 4cyl....don't understand the rage with old benzes

They last forever and rarely breakdown

Back