Finally weve got SOUND! just like NFS:shift, and scratches on all cars :)

• Thread starter Don Juan
  • 152 comments
We have a sound being played through a tiny speaker, and then recorded on a video camera's mic, and the compressed via a video codec!
The raw uadio should be a lot better....

Camera mic's tend to suck as well, they never record lower frequencys

the exhaust pop sounds very nice

Theres no exhaust pop, thats from the wheel.
Believe me, i can hear that it sounds exactly like the Ferrari 430 in Prologue, the sound quality from the video doesnt matter, the frequences itself are the same.

Theres no exhaust pop, thats from the wheel.
Believe me, i can hear that it sounds exactly like the Ferrari 430 in Prologue, the sound quality from the video doesnt matter, the frequences itself are the same.

exactly of course there is a lot of bass and stuff missing (although gt5p does not really have that either :sly:) You can still tell that it's just other frequencies and that it is not the right sound

More than you would imagine. ;)

Why should you need a, 5.1 or 7.1 system! It should be made, to sound good on just two speakers! ToCA Race Driver 3 sounded great with, just two speakers. PD just needs to get better sound people!

It's simply undeniable that GT sounds suck. Yet we all have loved the series anyway. It would just be nice if they could make their sounds louder, bassier, beefier. More like the real thing.

As it is, the sounds dont stir any excitement in me.

I've just finished playing with GT for PSP which I managed to get my hands on today, and even tough it's true that engine sounds are still very whiny, something else got my attention: tyre squeal is just amazing! Not only it's not as high pitched as in earlier, big games, it has now better timbre, the sound in general is much richer. And the best part: this time it's not as simple as in GT5P for instance, where it just got louder or quieter depending on the situation - the little sister's skidding cars sound as they should, you can hear different types and angles of the slide car is in... You just have to hear it.

I hope this sound makes it to GT5, it leaves in the dust crappy shriek from GT5P or GT4, it also way better than Ferrari Challenge's/FM semi truck tyre squeal. That would be another big checkbox on my expectations and hopes list :).

I've just finished playing with GT for PSP which I managed to get my hands on today, and even tough it's true that engine sounds are still very whiny, something else got my attention: tyre squeal is just amazing! Not only it's not as high pitched as in earlier, big games, it has now better timbre, the sound in general is much richer. And the best part: this time it's not as simple as in GT5P for instance, where it just got louder or quieter depending on the situation - the little sister's skidding cars sound as they should, you can hear different types and angles of the slide car is in... You just have to hear it.

I hope this sound makes it to GT5, it leaves in the dust crappy shriek from GT5P or GT4, it also way better than Ferrari Challenge's/FM semi truck tyre squeal. That would be another big checkbox on my expectations and hopes list :).
Nice to hear that, because I'm gonna buy it tomorrow either, so I can just be hopeful ;-)
btw, I like the picture from Angela Gossow, Arch Enemy rules \m/

Thank God they Fixed that, Tyre squeal sound was the biggest Joke on PD, i mean people always Flame them for that, and they fixed it!...about car sounds, it depends because i play GT5 Prologue in Stereo mode, but with Huge speakers and some Cars sound Incredibly Real and good for a stock Car, but cars like the Tuned Ford GT, Corvette and Viper still need some Big Engine Grunt/Balls.

I hear GT cars sound like lawn mowers and the tire screeching is constant. Is this still true?

Not chirpy enough to be lawn mower, the guys who say hair dryer or hoover are probably more correct.
Now this is resolved a little with good speakers, 5.1 at least.

The tire sounds are crap. No argument anywere, just crap.

I heard that the only good thing about FW3 are the rollovers...

By the way, I know this is news to many of you, but tires really do squeal.

How i think GT5P Spec III sounds:
Tires: Okay, the overall noise is still too loud on racing tires and it doesnt change often enough, but its comprehensible(?).

Engines: Characteristics of each car are spot on, a Ferrari sounds "Ferrarish" a Corvette "Corvetteish" and Lancia Delta "Lancia Deltaish". :D But every car sounds flat, dead and thin. Theres no impact in any of the engine sounds.

Mechanical sounds: There are none, except for the Turbo, no exhaust pop, no brake squealing, no gear whine, no shift sound, nothing, quite a bummer in cars like the GT LM.

Wind: Almost the same as in GT4, i like it. When you drive in the cockpit view it differs from car to car a bit.

Environmental sounds and effects: Great, driving through a tunnel changes the sound very realistic. The echo which you can hear in the replays is also perfect. Curb sound is like in GT4 which is anything but bad. The sound from the spectators is also GT4 style plus better sound effects (and you dont notice the loop restarts so fast anymore at a camera change in the replays or while driving).

The sound quality is also good and it seems to have a perfect 5.1 and 7.1 mix (uncompressed, Hip-Hip Blu-raaay).

If the engines would be more realistic everything would be fine, but hearing cars like the BMW M3 just makes you sad, it takes away so much from the overall feeling. It looks like a TV broadcast but sounds like a PS2 game, thats just wrong.

EDIT: Yes, the tire sounds itself are spot on, the only wrong things about them are that theyre too loud on racing tires and they sound always the same, while wheelspin, while breaking, while sliding and so on.

Troll Life people. They talk it, they live it.

5Prologue has special options to suit different audio setups, If anyone has been there in audio options, they make quite a difference, the lowest setting maximized for your Stereo Built-ins, the middle for Stereo hifis and the third for Surround

There is significant level changes, the later options being softer to allow you to crank the volume on the system, the first having the loudest sound made for cruddy speaks.

However i'd like to know if they compress their audio into MP3's if so, its not the wisest decision, its extremely lossy even at high bitrates (256 320), Wav's are perfect but much too large, the best file for compressed lossless audio IMO, is FLAC, one third the size of WAV's but all the bitrate\punch\volume\detail.

Yes, the problem is that you have to turn the volume up a lot in the 2nd option because the engine gets mixed down. It sounds a lot crisper though.

Yeah it has always bugged me about the GT series with regards to the engine /exhaust notes.

I really hope PD read these forums and improve on GT5P's engine sound effects with GT5.

Mechanical sounds: There are none, except for the Turbo, no exhaust pop, no brake squealing, no gear whine, no shift sound, nothing, quite a bummer in cars like the GT LM.

Personally I think this is the biggest problem with sounds in Gran Turismo. The greatest sounding sim I've ever heard was Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix. It wasn't the sounds of the engines that impressed me but the sound of the gear shifts and the gear box just like the real thing from the TV views. It adds so much to the experience

However two things should be noted. PD has to model sound for 950 vehicles while most other developers only gather sound for a fraction of that. Also, sound takes a toll on the processor just like the graphics. The more sound effects being played and at a higher quality equals less framerate.

Judging from other games like KILLZONE 2, Uncharted (both) or even GTA IV, there shouldnt be any hardware problem. I agree with you on the number of cars stuff, but if it will be similar to GT4, 90% of the race cars will have the same soundsample with small variations. *cough*

Judging from other games like KILLZONE 2, Uncharted (both) or even GTA IV, there shouldnt be any hardware problem. I agree with you on the number of cars stuff, but if it will be similar to GT4, 90% of the race cars will have the same soundsample with small variations. *cough*

I really hope that doesn't happen again. But with all the attention that the graphics get something else is bound to suffer and sound has been one of those things.

Engine noise for stock cars is not all that bad IMO, but there is room for improvement:
-Engine volume should be a little more modulated depending on throttle position, specially for exhaust notes. Notice how in almost all cars the exhaust note becomes almost absent when no throttle is applied as in a gear change.

-General engine volume should be different depending on RPM's. In my 2.0 Clio there is a very clear volume increase when passing 5000 RPM's. I am aware it will not be the same for all cars but this will make the experience a little bit more real.

This also becomes very usefull when watching in car replays because it is not all that clear for me when the car is going full thottle or not only by the engine noise, and looking to the HUD distracts me from the steering inputs and racing line.

I'm curious, if FW does mean "Forza Watersport" (I've seen it called such around here, at least I think so) how'd that even come about?

Any racing drivers here care to give an opinion? With a Helmet on, you need to drown out the sound of the engine to hear your team via radio. I always thought this is why the engine sounds were strange.

I can't confirm this is what it is, because i have never driven a Ferrari at all, nevermind at those speeds with a racing helmet on.

Heres hoping that Polyphony gets a few things done for the next six months, (which is an ample amount of time, considering that the "skeleton" of the game is finished)

+ Fix all the sounds for the cars to compete with Forza (NFS:S too, but I have yet to play it, judging from videos though it already sounds impressive) to result in an accurate and mechanical-like experience.
+ Get the "effects" for the tracks going, nothing like doing the night and day cycle. And even "rain" or a wet course. Of course, I would allow them to lower the cars to 8, as I know 16 is probably pushing the hardware a lot at 60FPS already.
+ Add the original McLaren F1 and Mclaren F1 LM!! You can't skip out on the fastest Naturally aspirated car, while having the Veyron (which is all power, the equivalent to a man on steroids) on deck. Mind you, I do think the veyron is a work of art. Is it the licensing issues or is PD just waiting to unveil it for another shock and awe response?

Just reading some more comments in this thread and i have to say (this isn't directed at anyone in particular) that you guys are over-reacting about the damage engine.

In an interview, think it was IGN's or Joystiq's, Kaz said this was the product of 2 months work. Forza have had damage from the begginning of their franchise, and that game was out in 2005, in development from 2002/3, so Turn10 have put a hell of a lot more time into it.

It is also evident that Kaz wasn't satisfied, he said the damage was unfinished. He also said that it would affect the performence of the car, most likely aerodynamically, but he didn't mention mechanical damage. Until you know overwise, stop ripping PD for not including mechanical damage, the damage engine is not finished.

In another interview, or it may have been the same one, Kaz said there would almost certainly be some form of car customization, and that it would affect aerodynamics. That Nissan GTR from the vid, that is clearly not paint damage, he was on his first lap, and you know AI cars don't just crash like that... So there is evidence that there will be a Livery editor in GT5, and also evidence that you can adjust aerodynamics. This could be just adding a spoiler like in GT4, but i think they will have developed it a bit more if Kaz thought to mention it in an interview.

I will be sorely disappointed if PD keeps hinting these things and then doesn't include them in the game. Turn10 will rip them to shreads if they do.

As for sounds, the road cars are fine, they are muffled by sound insulation and by your racing helmet. Performence road cars, such as Ferraris, Vettes, Lamborghinis etc. sound a little off at the moment, and race cars certainly need improvement. When the game is out you can rip it apart, but for now wait for what PD has in store, because it has been mentioned so much in the past it would be silly not to change it. Although PD probably have no intention of changing the sounds, so don't get your hopes up.

Back