Forza Horizon 5: General Discussion

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 18,134 comments
Looking forward to seeing how fast FH5 loads up after I just installed my M2 NVME SSD I got a while back. I had FH5 installed on a regular HDD before so the initial load was excruciating, so I hope theres some improvement. I've upgraded to 32GB of faster Ram too so I dont want to see those disappearing glitchy parts of the maps when I take big jumps:lol:

Also would be lovely if PG made it so the game remembers what map we are on when we start the game up. Loading into HW everytime is getting old.

It isn't any faster on mine. I installed a SN850X and moved all of my steam games to it.

What do you think guys, The screenshot with the voiture noire is true?
I just saw this video an im sharing this screenshot if its legit?
View attachment 1218881

The perspective of the car and the ground in this screenshot doesn't match, and the composite of the shadow and the ground looks unnatural. 99% fake.

Also, the body texture looks close to Forza's, but the tires and wheels look too realistic.

MSZ
It isn't any faster on mine. I installed a SN850X and moved all of my steam games to it.
It isn't any faster for you in what way? What did you have the game installed on before? Bear in mind I only had FH5 installed on a regular HDD before so it took an unreasonable amount of time to load. :lol:

It's way faster for me and I only picked up a Gen 3 2TB Crucial NVMe SSD. Your SN850X looks like its Gen4 So it should be way faster than mine.

(Ignore the noise, I'm a weirdo that has a fan on even in the winter time) :lol:

Last edited:
Took some screenshots of the 1992 Toyota Supra 2.0 GT Twin Turbo in Inferno Orange!

Forza Horizon 5 (Toyota Supra 2.0 GT Twin Turbo).jpg
Forza Horizon 5 (Toyota Supra 2.0 GT Twin Turbo 2).jpg

It isn't any faster for you in what way? What did you have the game installed on before? Bear in mind I only had FH5 installed on a regular HDD before so it took an unreasonable amount of time to load. :lol:

It's way faster for me and I only picked up a Gen 3 2TB Crucial NVMe SSD. Your SN850X looks like its Gen4 So it should be way faster than mine.

(Ignore the noise, I'm a weirdo that has a fan on even in the winter time) :lol:

It was on a WD blue sata SSD. So if the game runs any faster on my 850X I simply couldn't noticed it unless I use a timewatch to time it.

Last edited:
MSZ
It was on a WD blue sata SSD. So if the game runs any faster on my 850X I simply couldn't noticed it unless I use a timewatch to time it.
Fair enough, Like I said I was on a HDD before hand so the improvement I got is quite noticeable.

The Sian is a buggy car. And i noticed that the car details like engine and interior are not up to par with the last gen models. Since FM5 most of the new cars had unique material shaders and more detailed engines. Cars added in FH series have always lower detail and less unique materials for the interior. They pump out too much cars but at a lower quality.

You should try the EventLab thing this week on your old XB1 and see what it's like. If it wasn't just what I was stuck with, I'd maybe be able to look at it more favorably... I suppose it could be a kinda trippy experience, like racing in variable slowmotion or something.
Late response, but I actually did try it out and... yeah. Pretty rough. Wouldn't say I personally got single digit FPS but it was wavering the entire time, and everything else not related to the game seemed to chug along (timing, moving the camera, etc). Almost like playing a game with an uncapped framerate on a PC not really powerful enough to run it.

For what its worth, DiRT 5 has a similar system for making events and that too buckled hard on a base Xbone when there was a lot of objects and effects. Granted its a totally different game with a lower budget, but I think the same issue persists as well. I suspect the base game engine and the map itself is still fairly well optimised for last gen, but just falls apart when player creations dump a load of stuff in one spot.

Can I make 4 people happy with the in-game Doritos outfit?

I got 4 codes from the infamous junkfood brand because I had plans to exploit the health of my body for financial benefits (AKA buy the Doritos bags, eat the unhealthy junkfood and put the codes on EBay). But I just cannot be bothered for the effort of a few EUR per code.

so I‘m giving the codes away for free, they are not immediately microsoft codes, they need to be put in the Doritos website first along with your email address, and then they email you the code you can use for the Microsoft redeem website. Sidenote: these codes also work for the other games (Halo etc).

The first 4 people that quote me here and reply they want a code I will send a PM with the code.

I got 4 codes from the infamous junkfood brand because I had plans to exploit the health of my body for financial benefits (AKA buy the Doritos bags, eat the unhealthy junkfood and put the codes on EBay). But I just cannot be bothered for the effort of a few EUR per code.

so I‘m giving the codes away for free, they are not immediately microsoft codes, they need to be put in the Doritos website first along with your email address, and then they email you the code you can use for the Microsoft redeem website. Sidenote: these codes also work for the other games (Halo etc).

The first 4 people that quote me here and reply they want a code I will send a PM with the code.
Spicy corn triangle me, bruv!

Wow, that's just the spirit of Horizon, isn't it? PM me too, please.

Last edited:

Ooh, PM please!

Count me in bud please. Thank you.

@Famine @UKMikey @INEEDNAWZZZ @Edax 76 check your messages, codes have been sent. These bags of unhealthy junkfood were bought in Belgium so perhaps use the ‘BE’ Doritos URL on the bags, but probably the other countries work as well. Instructions are on the bags and the Doritos website is in Dutch, but it should not be too hard to see what you need to fill in (I think it was birthday and e-mail address or something).

In the case a code would already be used, I’m sorry then but not much I can do about that. Any kid could just photograph the codes in the store without buying the bags since the codes are printed on the outside (I think our Belgian law prevents non-eatable things to be inside the bag, after that “Flippo“ incident in the 90s where an old lady was eating chips and also swallowed the Flippo and suffocated.

I used 2 codes for me in the past (one for FH5, one for Halo) and they both worked.

After submitting on the Doritos site, I think you should get the Microsoft code emailed to you in 5 minutes or so.

Let me know if it works out OK!

@Famine @UKMikey @INEEDNAWZZZ @Edax 76 check your messages, codes have been sent. These bags of unhealthy junkfood were bought in Belgium so perhaps use the ‘BE’ Doritos URL on the bags, but probably the other countries work as well. Instructions are on the bags and the Doritos website is in Dutch, but it should not be too hard to see what you need to fill in (I think it was birthday and e-mail address or something).
Worked perfectly, thank you very much! Did it via the Dutch site and the only hiccup was the postcode; literally just Googling a mock-up/fake one worked fine though.

The Sian is a buggy car. And i noticed that the car details like engine and interior are not up to par with the last gen models. Since FM5 most of the new cars had unique material shaders and more detailed engines. Cars added in FH series have always lower detail and less unique materials for the interior. They pump out too much cars but at a lower quality.
It might be due to outsourcing as making a detailed car is time-intensive. The Sian itself should've gotten a few more weeks in the development chamber for polishing.

I’m too Late, but it’s very cool what you’ve done. At least now I know the suit is out there. Maybe I can find a code on eBay.

Meanwhile I’m doing the Happy Happy Joy Joy dance because I’ve got my Rebel back.

4D345048-A799-4022-8C3F-23434E880F66.png

Last edited:
So, as the end of the year approaches, I'd get a detailed review of the state of Forza Horizon 5 coming into Year 1. It's been over a year and a month since release and PG added some 137 cars (unfortunately, well over half of them are returns), new features (which I could care less), new Stories (apart from Horizon Origins, ranges from dull to completely awful) and a truck load of empty promises. Still interested in the "empty promises" gamut? Let me explain in detail.

Before I do that however, I still noted some high points with this game, and as usual it's the core gameplay of driving and its physics. They're the best they've been around and I do look forward to see what the FM reboot could do in terms of physics. Graphics, too are a high point and to date it is a really detailed game, nothing short of admirable. And aside from that, back at launch the game itself was on the road to greatness. But something seriously went wrong along the way. So allow me to explain what happened since launch and how the new iteration lost its luster so bad.

Going into this game at launch (and at early access) I was fairly excited. Playground made the newest iteration of the Horizon series and I was astounded with the effort with the scenery and map of Mexico (even though it's a bit rough around the edges). They made a diverse car list of 500+ strong, online functionality and a whole progression dedicated to accolades and expeditions, to go along with an 'Evolving World'. I was in love with the game, but after a month later (and the longer I played over the spring and summer), I quickly realized that they have cut so many corners. First of all FH4 at the end had over 600+ cars including some FEs and rare cars. FH5 seemed to have held back so many cars that were present in the last game. Such as for example, the 3 Renaults (all from FH4 and two of them - the 2010 Megane RS and 2010 Clio RS - date back to the 360 era) they drip-fed for the next Series when they clearly had no reason to be exclusionary. They had the license, but for some reason they held it back often just to convince new players that they are getting "new" content.

To give you an idea of what updates were for during the first half of 2022, where the car pass was around, and the latter half of 2022, which I will go into great detail, this boils down to this:

Series 1-9 (Nov. '21 to Jul. '22): Some new features, a Horizon Drift Club Story (unremarkable, in my opinion), at least two or three dozen FH4 cars and a smattering of new-to-Forza cars, and 42 car pass cars, just one of which was last seen in FM4.

Series 10-16 and beyond (mid-July '22 onwards): The car pass ends, The Hot Wheels Expansion, a whole rash of dubious partnerships (namely Extreme E and Donut Media), even more FH4 cars and even fewer new-to-Forza cars.

So why have the latter updates have been so horrible lately? I'll leave it to Australian YouTuber Ericship as he has a video that showed some constructive insight about the issue, but for me, I'll explain each in some detail on what could have been.

Series 10, the Extreme E saga, was a blown opportunity. I was going into this hoping they'd at least have to represent the 2022 season's cars and to have a whole map dedicated to new routes for offroading races. To be fair, it did... except they did made 10 cars separately (which is normal because that is how licensing a race car is, you can't just swap liveries on a whim). The races are all the same as it is, and they didn't change in the four-week span of this event. The outright worst offender is not the 10 different Extreme Es. It's the other Festival Playlist cars they added. Four Porsches (of which only one of them was iconic), and three of them are restomods, which is the last thing I want to see in a Forza game.

Series 11, Rami's Racing History, was meant to be a historical connection to Ramiro's racing heritage (you know, the annoying guy who sounds like the Geico gecko). What we got instead was a glorified 'Made in Mexico' story that had little to no connection to the cars of Mexico (in part due to most of the existing assets being old Forza models and the Vocho itself is not even the 2003 final model), and the reward car is just another FE. While I do like how they curated the eras, the seasonal prizes couldn't be more egregious. Clearly somebody missed the point of what 'racing heritage' means nor did they do extensive research of Mexican racing (specifically the Carrera Panamericana, which they did try half-heartedly). Oh and they gave us a bootleg Tesla, Xpeng.

Series 12, Horizon Road Trip, although it wasn't bad, it still felt a bit underwhelming with the cars. At least there is a good mix of both returning and new, and the Lynk & Co 03+ is nothing short of incredible. Even though it is a Chinese-Swedish brand, it handled insanely good for a FF layout hybrid sedan. And that is definitely something that would fit the FM reboot. As for the events, sadly, it left a lot to be desired. Remember how there would be new events and routes? Well, they're not using them. And the routes are all the same which adds more into the repeitition pile.

Series 13 is the biggest letdown of all the Series updates in this game. It is the 10-year Horizon Anniversary update and while there were some parts that were good, such as the props being recreated from previous Horizon games and the new rims, everything else is either a mixed bag or just poor choices. First off, let's start with the mixed bag that's called 'Horizon Origins'. While the ideation is very much promising, the execution leaves much to be desired. As much as I can endure the insufferable dialogue from Scott Tyler, the Horizon chapters they represented were pretty shallow, especially with the third iteration involving the offroaders. Does anyone remember the Baldwin offroader that had its lone appearance in Horizon 3? They could not license it anymore, so a different offroader (which, by the way, was also DLC in said game), the F-150 Baja. Midnight Battles were very poorly-executed races with shallow rewards. It is so sad that the days of racing against a modified car (even with widebody kits or a supercharged muscle car) of FH3 vibes, seem to be left out of the limelight. While the Horizon Mixtape is promising the music curated is pretty less than stellar, with EDM predominating the list. No songs from Horizon Rocks (you know it as the precursor of Horizon XS), and even if they did add them later, they'd just be censored as well. And the cars were all recycled content. I get that Darius' car - the 599XX - is admittedly iconic, but the other three (Agera, Eagle Speedster, One-77) were hardly iconic to FH1. What they could've done was bring back lost FH1 cars like the Toyota FJ Cruiser for example. Or even cars that haven't been to FH in a long time, like the Holden FX Sedan, '13 Audi S4, 2014 Range Rover... And they don't mention Holly Cruz no more.

Series 14 is Donut Media, and as expected it was hyped to feature their project cars and their liking. What we got instead were yet more rehashed content aside from a Lynk & Co TCR car that is surprisingly good. But everything else was woodies, and having them all together isn't really associated with DM themselves. Between the utterly insufferable dialogue that was forced upon us and the story itself being a glorified tuning tutorial, this was by far the worst update. What's more, they are planning to spread it out evenly in several parts.

Remember when I said a few pages back on why PG should experiment on the 'Evolving World' thing seriously and even compared it to what SCS did to the world maps? That statement is pretty much rock-solid true. Prior to launch Mike Brown promised us something good out of the Evolving World and so far they barely use it. It's been over a year and we have been driving the same exact courses ad nauseam for thousands of times. Tell me this: Why is it so hard to make new routes? Would it hurt to break the monotonmy with some different layouts every now and then, and I'm not talking about EventLabs in the grand scheme of things. Like for example new seasonal championships with custom routes would be far more rewarding than re-racing the same 3-5 races over and over. It's really tiresome and it feels more like wasted potential the more you play it, and makes it even more grindy. What's more, Brown did promise that new races would be added to the updates, prior to the release. Much to anyone's hopes those promises were broken. 13 months later and they STILL didn't bother adding something fresh to the table in track variety. Something that should take about a week at most. Even the changes to the Evolving World were just patchy at best and just not enough at worst. And even then they just last roughly a month if we're lucky.

If we're talking about map expansions (not the other kind) they should add some new roads every now and then. Adding an industrial area would certainly help, and so would expanding north or south with the map boundaries would really bring about new events and prevents it from being stale over time. But I can't imagine how much time it would take though...

As the new year approaches I'd like to propose a New Year's Resolution to PG:
-Limit the amount of returning cars to one or two (maximum per update), licensing notwithstanding
-Add past exclusives to autoshow (6 months minimum)
-Put an end to the shallow car prizes on the seasonal challenges. At least give us H2F cars.
-Take the 'Evolving World' thing seriously. I'd like to see more than just decorations on the stadium or smashables.

I don't mean to rant on the state of FH5 in this massive wall of text, but it's hard to see so many good ideas like the Evolving World go to waste like this. And especially the replayability. I'm already burnt out considerably so I only do the bare minimum of 20 points just to get the Rebel and the other 5 cars we're getting.

Last edited:
Long time no posting here, so i'm gonna tell you my weird match of The Eliminator after avoiding it like the plague for months.

The match started with 60 players (including myself), so my main objetive was to make it to the Top 30 to complete the seasonal task. As i was roaming Mexico while avoiding other players and hoping to get a better car drop to increase my chances to reach the goal, suddenly the playercount dropped from 51 to less than 30 players. With my main objetive fullfiled, I decided to time out myself by staying outside the safe zone and wait for the time out bar to max out, but i was not eliminated even with a maxed out bar. I searched for another rival so i could be done with this game for a week before having to complete the next Festival Playlist due to FOMO.

I ended up finishing in 9th place without putting much effort. Most players quitted or got disconnected, with few being actually eliminated.

-Add past exclusives to autoshow (6 months minimum)
I need to give your post a proper read [edit: just have, great post] but in scrolling upwards I found this and definitely agree.

I think cars that debuted in playlists should have some form of exclusivity (I'd say 2 months) but after that they should be freely available in the Autoshow.

I'm sure Playground have their reasons for the current method (namely, it maximises player retention and lengthens Xbox Game Pass subscription memberships), but it does introduce a heavy dose of FOMO to what's an otherwise fair live service model.

The Auction House isn't much help past a certain point either as the more popular cars get sniped very quickly and/or sell for 20,000,000 cr.; in a game that requires you to own every car before you can drive it, it can be frustrating to spot a car you like and realise you should have played the game 6 months ago to try it out.

Last edited:
It's been over a year and a month since release and PG added some 137 cars (unfortunately, well over half of them are returns)
1672420394866.png

Just a small addition/correction, counting the 10 versions of Extreme E as one, we end up with 140 cars (53.57% New to Forza).

As for the exclusive cars, i want to present a revamped "Backstage Pass", if anyone from PGG is seeing this.
As is currently, the 40pts slot per week in the festival playlist is saved for reruns, which means if someone wants that specific car/a duplicate of it, they would need to 'grind' for 40pts. What if, instead of reruns, we get something called "backstage pass" (or whatever better name you can come up with. I just called it that because it was a thing in FH4).
This backstage pass will be a free car token that can be used to get any 1 car for free, as long as it is one of prior festival playlist rewards. It means that even if someone misses a month of cars, they can log back in the next month, and 'grind' 40pts each week to get all the missed cars.
That way PGG gets the player engagement time, and the player gets the car/or their duplicate (I want another SF90 for reasons). OFC this will have ramifications in the auction house, but i feel that tradeoff is worth the goodwill (Which they are running out of. Atleast from the "hardcore fans").
Ideally, you would just unlock the Festival Playlist car into the autoshow, and the player can just spend credits to buy as many as they want. That would devastate the value of these cars on the Auction House more than the previous option.

Also PGG, please for the love of god, give EventLab its own tab and let creators upload an in game pic of the event as a thumbnail. Make it easy to explore and easy to access like a social media homepage. The current method is very unintuitive, (the share code is a genius feature and is the only reason i am able to use it). It is literally a goldmine of content that is lost due to low discoverability unless searched for, on twitter or youtube. At the same time bring back custom championships, with EventLab routes integration.

Another piece of feedback is to MATCH THE THEME OF THE SERIES UPDATE WITH THE RESPECTIVE REWARDS. WHY IS THIS SO DIFFICULT TO DO?
"#FORDZATHON" could literally be "#DAILYSUPERHEROS" because they are all spicy versions of daily/normal vehicles.
Fordzathon can be saved for a future update where the rewards are actually Ford/Shelby like the leaked Shelby 1000/Thunderbird/BTCC Focus/GTX1 or the Mach E/Mustang GT S650 (if they get the license).

Back