Forza Horizon 5: General Discussion

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 18,862 comments
I bought TC2 in a Steam Sale a while back, but I've really struggled to enjoy it. I think the moment I found that you can change direction during jumps was the watershed... Give me Horizon physics any day.

So uh, me and @Vic Reign93 just did a thing:

cachedImage.png

cachedImage.png

cachedImage.png

I will posit that if the money and cars weren't so easy to get there would be more engagement. I do think TC2 does it better, you have to work for the money/cars (and here they are, still churning content).

To be honest, it's the exact opposite for me - I really enjoyed The Crew 1 and drove tens of thousands of miles in it, but I bounced off the sequel very quickly because it was such an immense grind to get any new vehicles. By the time I ran out of new events to do, I don't think I even had enough money to buy a second hypercar, and doing events over and over again in the same few vehicles was too tedious to carry on.

With FH5 on the other hand, I had accumulated a large proportion of the vehicles while playing all of the base content, then it's about 45 minutes each week to earn the newest vehicle, not hours and hours of repeating the same high-paying event like TC2. Since the new cars in FH5's playlist became consistently the 20-point reward, I can even skip every single type of event I don't feel like doing. If I do go for 40 points for the fun of it, selling the duplicate cars eventually adds up to enough to not even bother for a week or two and just buy the new cars with the piles of free money.

I'd much rather play the bits of content I enjoy with a constant flow of new vehicles than have to grind - I find it more of an annoyance than anything to be locked out of most of the game because of an artificial economy balance where the developer / publisher have decided that they mandate hundreds of hours of gameplay to get anywhere.

The main reason I envy TC2 is the cool/crazy/funny custom cars and the many vanity items.
Yes, many of them are as silly as yellow tires.
But they don't affect the performance of the car in any way, and players who don't want to put them on can just not put them on.

I wish custom cars like TC2 were more aggressively added to the game as a Horizon Edition, and that unique looking vanity items (or tire livery editor) available for any tire were added in a future Horizon.

309.jpg

909 (1).jpg

334.jpg

hqdefault (33).jpg

The main reason I envy TC2 is the cool/crazy/funny custom cars and the many vanity items.
But they don't affect the performance of the car in any way, and players who don't want to put them on can just not put them on.

I wish custom cars like TC2 were more aggressively added to the game as a Horizon Edition, and that unique looking vanity items (or tire livery editor) available for any tire were added in a future Horizon.

View attachment 1256794

View attachment 1256795

View attachment 1256797

View attachment 1256793
The Fury Tires do help with grip, though.

To be honest, it's the exact opposite for me - I really enjoyed The Crew 1 and drove tens of thousands of miles in it, but I bounced off the sequel very quickly because it was such an immense grind to get any new vehicles. By the time I ran out of new events to do, I don't think I even had enough money to buy a second hypercar, and doing events over and over again in the same few vehicles was too tedious to carry on.

With FH5 on the other hand, I had accumulated a large proportion of the vehicles while playing all of the base content, then it's about 45 minutes each week to earn the newest vehicle, not hours and hours of repeating the same high-paying event like TC2. Since the new cars in FH5's playlist became consistently the 20-point reward, I can even skip every single type of event I don't feel like doing. If I do go for 40 points for the fun of it, selling the duplicate cars eventually adds up to enough to not even bother for a week or two and just buy the new cars with the piles of free money.

I'd much rather play the bits of content I enjoy with a constant flow of new vehicles than have to grind - I find it more of an annoyance than anything to be locked out of most of the game because of an artificial economy balance where the developer / publisher have decided that they mandate hundreds of hours of gameplay to get anywhere.
I see. Maybe because I got TC2 late in its life cycle (last year) I found things a bit easier. Nowadays, you can purchase everything with the in-game currency so microtransactions are not really needed, and I got to the point where I can raise about 500,000 Crew credits every half and hour, and that's huge for buying new cars and vehicles, some of which are mandatory for the Motorpass events (their version of Forzathon). So you play to earn, then spend to buy and have the opportunity to earn mores special things by playing, and If it's enjoyable, then for me it is not grind.

My point is that Forza Horizon gives away money/cars too easily through the wheelspins, and that could lead less engagement and little sense of reward and attachment to what you earn. I think TC2 does it better (now), but I'm sure a more balanced approach could be devised for FH.

Last edited:
I bought TC2 in a Steam Sale a while back, but I've really struggled to enjoy it. I think the moment I found that you can change direction during jumps was the watershed... Give me Horizon physics any day.
I bought it really cheap a few months ago purely out of curiosity, and yeah, same. I give it there's a lot of customisation available, but the vehicle list doesn't impress me whatsoever. There's very little that isn't offered in FH4/FH5 outside of bikes and boats, and I already own Ride 3/4 if I want to ride bikes. The physics in both of those are a million times better anyway. The boats being all janky and all over the place was a big turn off, the physics of road vehicles not being good nor consistent was a big turn off, the gravity being all kind of weird when taking jumps was also a big turn off, but my biggest turn off with TC2 is the fact you can't re-map the controller on Xbox. It doesn't tick any boxes for me, and I'm fairly sure Motorfest is going to tick exactly as many boxes.

Maybe because I got TC2 late in its life cycle (last year) I found things a bit easier. Nowadays, you can purchase everything with the in-game currency so microtransactions are not really needed, and I got to the point where I can raise about 500,000 Crew credits every half and hour, and that's huge for buying new cars and vehicles, some of which are mandatory for the Motorpass events (their version of Forzathon). So you play to earn, then spend to buy and have the opportunity to earn mores special things by playing, and If it's enjoyable, then for me it is not grind.

Interesting, hopefully things have improved from launch then - I liked the game otherwise, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the third one.

Interesting, hopefully things have improved from launch then - I liked the game otherwise, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the third one.
It's the same as it was at beginning. It actually got worse at one point then they went back to original prizes. You can earn 500k every 30 minutes if you are icon 1000+ and you know what you are doing. It's still a huge grind for money. Even more for parts. I don't have a problem with grinding but I'm also glad Forza Horizon is so different in regards of money prizes and specially when it comes to upgrading and tuning your car.

I love the Crew but can also totally understand Horizon players not like it at all.

To be honest, it's the exact opposite for me - I really enjoyed The Crew 1 and drove tens of thousands of miles in it, but I bounced off the sequel very quickly because it was such an immense grind to get any new vehicles.

Same here. I've played TC2 quite a lot, seeing the grinding of parts as a one-off investment of time to be able to get platinum each week afterwards. But now I have all the parts I need, what I've realised is the need to grind credits continues for a lot longer because you need different specific cars for the summit each week. So this week I won't get platinum because I'd need to grind an extra 910k credits to get the two cars I don't have. That's something like 30 mins of mindlessly grinding HSTD, and that isn't something that I'm interested in doing, just like I've stopped playing GT7 because it has the same problem of having basically just one race you have to do over and over again to obtain credits.

OTOH, I've started again in FH4, having got it on Steam, and after doing the week's playlist activities to 80%, I had increased my credit balance by about 900k. Instead of making me grind credits to be able to play the game, the game gives me credits for playing it. FH5 is even easier to get cars and credits in, I'm now at 615/698 cars in my car collection having only bought the game a few weeks ago, mainly just lacking exclusive cars that can't be found in the AH like the Sierra 700R and Aventador SVJ. Like you, I'd rather do whatever I want to do in the game, like trying to make the fastest possible setup for a particular car on a particular track, than mindlessly grind credits (if anyone wants a good car for this week's Trial, I shared a tune for the #20 MG6 that I did 52.3 with on Los Jardines after trying many different builds and tune settings).

See I just find it frustrating that I can't roll the car in the air like in Rocket League. If you can yaw and pitch the car, why can't you also roll it?

Last edited:
If you are looking for Horizon physics and handling stay away. If you want to drive for 60 miles in a Harley Davidson and chill go for it. 😁

Cheers bud. It's the handling and physics that's more important to me so I'll probably pass.

Suggests you can pose cars in photomode with selectable time of day, avatar, and steering angle.
Alas... will it be possible also to change the lighting angle too, just like in Assetto Corsa's Custom Shader Patch photo mode?

View attachment 1256794
I ****ing LOVE that Escalade and would buy it as DLC for basically every racing game I own if I could... but even it couldn't make me enjoy either The Crew title beyond the first hour or so. It was fun to see some of the crazy vehicles, but the physics were awful and the racing wasn't exciting or fun to make up for it.

I would love to see Forza Editions show some creativity and be vehicles like that though. Personally, that's an angle I'd like to see more in sim/simcade games in general. Sure, the real cars are neat, but video games aren't bound by manufacturer marketing budgets for concepts or local sales for regional racing series and so on, so let's see some creativity. Gran Turismo has always done this well with their "LM Version" and so on models. I love the idea of hypothetical "what if we built an Escalade for DTM?" type vehicles that look like they could actually be built.

I ****ing LOVE that Escalade and would buy it as DLC for basically every racing game I own if I could... but even it couldn't make me enjoy either The Crew title beyond the first hour or so. It was fun to see some of the crazy vehicles, but the physics were awful and the racing wasn't exciting or fun to make up for it.

I would love to see Forza Editions show some creativity and be vehicles like that though. Personally, that's an angle I'd like to see more in sim/simcade games in general. Sure, the real cars are neat, but video games aren't bound by manufacturer marketing budgets for concepts or local sales for regional racing series and so on, so let's see some creativity. Gran Turismo has always done this well with their "LM Version" and so on models. I love the idea of hypothetical "what if we built an Escalade for DTM?" type vehicles that look like they could actually be built.
That lowered race-kit FE BMW X5M is a great example of this, it really is kind of a DTM SUV and it's categorized as a track toy.

Back