Forza Horizon 5: General Discussion

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 18,904 comments
I ****ing LOVE that Escalade and would buy it as DLC for basically every racing game I own if I could... but even it couldn't make me enjoy either The Crew title beyond the first hour or so. It was fun to see some of the crazy vehicles, but the physics were awful and the racing wasn't exciting or fun to make up for it.

I would love to see Forza Editions show some creativity and be vehicles like that though. Personally, that's an angle I'd like to see more in sim/simcade games in general. Sure, the real cars are neat, but video games aren't bound by manufacturer marketing budgets for concepts or local sales for regional racing series and so on, so let's see some creativity. Gran Turismo has always done this well with their "LM Version" and so on models. I love the idea of hypothetical "what if we built an Escalade for DTM?" type vehicles that look like they could actually be built.
Gran Turismo, Shift, and TC2 made great fantasy machines.
These fantasy games make the "what if this car raced in this category" dream come true, and the more unique race car options are more fun in a racing game, and further increase interest and love for more brands.

For example, in GT7 my favorite Gr.3/GT3 cars are Mustang and Genesis Coupe. But they have never made such a car for the GT3 category in real life. (Ford is working on a 2024 Mustang GT3...)
If it weren't for them, I would have to choose between cars like the 911, GT-R, AMG GT, and 488 that I am tired of seeing in the real world and would not have as much love for this category as I do now.

Have they always awarded you for taking pictures of traffic cars? I might well have missed it, but one stuck out today.

VXR
Have they always awarded you for taking pictures of traffic cars? I might well have missed it, but one stuck out today.
Traffic cars have always been in the Promo list, but they haven't always been available to photograph. I found being in solo mode made them easier to shoot.

VXR

Alajandro's Truck reappeared on my Promo List a series or two back. I need to switch to Solo at some point and do the Vocho story to see if I can tick it off again. I just keep forgetting.

For traffic cars in general and the cars from stories, Populuxe is spot on, you need to be in solo for the photo to register.

Updated 2350: Alajandro's Truck in Promo (the blank thumbnail) won't disappear when photographed. I tried three times tonight and it's still there.😥

Last edited:
I ****ing LOVE that Escalade and would buy it as DLC for basically every racing game I own if I could... but even it couldn't make me enjoy either The Crew title beyond the first hour or so. It was fun to see some of the crazy vehicles, but the physics were awful and the racing wasn't exciting or fun to make up for it.
I think TC2 and FH5 physics are pretty different, and to some extent, if you play one of them exclusively for weeks, then try the other, it's going to feel awful. When TC2 was the only driving game I'd played for a while, and I got FH5, I thought FH5's physics were just terrible. The cars felt floaty and vague and unresponsive, not at all connected to the road like a real car. And those endless slides where the car starts to slide sideways and never re-gains grip before you hit a barrier, so fake and horrible. I feel TC2 actually has the more realistic physics, with the cars much more connected to the road, more responsive, and a much more aggressive re-gaining of grip after sliding, which is more like how I find real cars (and it's closer to a game like ACC, for example). But having mainly played FH5 recently, when I go back to TC2 now, I can't actually deal with the greater responsiveness as I've become adapted to dealing with the vagueness of FH5's handling, so I can see why someone who is used to FH and tries TC2 would find the cars hard to drive and might feel the physics is bad as a result. I'm more of a time triallist, so the AI being unchallenging in TC2 doesn't really matter to me, but I don't think the AI is good in FH5, it seems to have very artificial behaviour with rubber banding.

I feel TC2 actually has the more realistic physics, with the cars much more connected to the road, more responsive, and a much more aggressive re-gaining of grip after sliding, which is more like how I find real cars (and it's closer to a game like ACC, for example).
f1795f03d3d96c09bbbd448f8f01856c.gif

I dunno, I can switch between both games and know the differences and what I can expect from each other. TC2 cars can be tweaked via the pro settings (which are inescrutable, but that's why the Internet exists) and performance improves with parts. My Bugatti Veyron does feel completely responsive to my input at top speeds of 450 kph... which is what is important to me.

Areas where TC2 is superior? You can't traverse cross-country with a sports/hypercar and expect to do anything, there is just no traction and the suspension will bottom out, and TC2's drag cars > anything drag in FH. Drift is even, and rally/cross-country go to FH.

Anyways, I have fun with both.

I think TC2 and FH5 physics are pretty different, and to some extent, if you play one of them exclusively for weeks, then try the other, it's going to feel awful. When TC2 was the only driving game I'd played for a while, and I got FH5, I thought FH5's physics were just terrible. The cars felt floaty and vague and unresponsive, not at all connected to the road like a real car. And those endless slides where the car starts to slide sideways and never re-gains grip before you hit a barrier, so fake and horrible. I feel TC2 actually has the more realistic physics, with the cars much more connected to the road, more responsive, and a much more aggressive re-gaining of grip after sliding, which is more like how I find real cars (and it's closer to a game like ACC, for example). But having mainly played FH5 recently, when I go back to TC2 now, I can't actually deal with the greater responsiveness as I've become adapted to dealing with the vagueness of FH5's handling, so I can see why someone who is used to FH and tries TC2 would find the cars hard to drive and might feel the physics is bad as a result. I'm more of a time triallist, so the AI being unchallenging in TC2 doesn't really matter to me, but I don't think the AI is good in FH5, it seems to have very artificial behaviour with rubber banding.
Have you tried simulation steering in Forza, as compared to normal (assisted) steering?

I used to play TC2 at one time, back in 2019. Wasn't even impressive at all. Ended up uninstalling it because it took too much space.

When do we expect to see the monthly stream?

Just finally joined the in game FH5 GTPlanet Club. Do I have to wait to be approved before I can chat in the club. Only ask as I'm barred at the moment, the game says only members can chat.

Nevermind I can chat now. Cheers.
I always thought you were a member... Still, What took you so long?

Given the healthy member count its a Shame there isnt more life in the club for the possibility of some GTP convoys on Thursdays for the new playlist or some PvP lobbies Etc.

Last edited:
If it weren't for them, I would have to choose between cars like the 911, GT-R, AMG GT, and 488 that I am tired of seeing in the real world and would not have as much love for this category as I do now.
As someone who used to love GT racing, sometimes I feel like the only person that's grown sick of the GT3 category and seeing the same cars in every championship around the world, with none of them feeling special or unique anymore. It seems weird in a way to complain about those undeniably cool cars, but when every championship GT in the world looks basically the same... familiarity breeds contempt as they say.

I think GT300 is the only exception, thanks to the mother chassis cars, or whatever they are calling them nowadays.
I'm not specifically comparing FH to TC, just speaking in general. In terms of physics they obviously have very different goals with one at least trying to be grounded in reality. I do generally prefer sim-leaned things more nowadays but whether or not they are realistic isn't as much the problem as whether or not they are engaging or fun, which I didn't think TC was either of those, but I am a little jaded and it has been quite a while since I've played an arcade racing game that didn't make me feel like I'd rather just play Outrun/MCLA/Burnout... but maybe I should revisit TC2 if it goes on sale cheap enough.

As for AI, I suppose it is a bit of an unfair criticism as that can be pointed at basically every game out there. The only racing game I can think of with fun AI is Wreckfest, and I guess ACC isn't too bad, but I haven't revisited it since I first picked up my wheel so now that I kinda know what I'm doing maybe they wouldn't be very good either. FH5 indeed has terrible AI.

Well I tried to make a replica of mystichrome paint again and I couldn't quite get it right, I'll have to have another crack at it tomorrow.

Attachments

• 22a950e5-8c54-44c2-9cde-95a574df01ff.png
    22a950e5-8c54-44c2-9cde-95a574df01ff.png
    464.6 KB · Views: 15
Updated 2350: Alajandro's Truck in Promo (the blank thumbnail) won't disappear when photographed. I tried three times tonight and it's still there.😥
It did previously register; I know because I managed to finally complete the list after the AMG-One FE was removed. After the Rally Adventure update however, the truck is back and nothing seems to get rid of it. Alejandra's truck does appear in the opening cutscene for the DLC, so I have two theories:

1. Its a new variant that is classed as a separate vehicle to capture. Only problem: you never see it again outside of that cutscene so its not possible.
2. Just a glitch.

I'm sure PG will fix it at some point. If its anything like the AMG-One, it'll only take, oh I dunno... 15 months?

I always thought you were a member... Still, What took you so long?

Given the healthy member count its a Shame there isnt more life in the club for the possibility of some GTP convoys on Thursdays for the new playlist or some PvP lobbies Etc.

I was a member of GFAQ club until last night. Unfortunately that club and site have been slowly dying in the last 12 to 18 months. So who else better to join to keep the good times flowing but my friends here.

I'm not one who chops and changes clubs. I'd been with GFAQ since I started to play FH.

It did previously register; I know because I managed to finally complete the list after the AMG-One FE was removed. After the Rally Adventure update however, the truck is back and nothing seems to get rid of it. Alejandra's truck does appear in the opening cutscene for the DLC, so I have two theories:

1. Its a new variant that is classed as a separate vehicle to capture. Only problem: you never see it again outside of that cutscene so its not possible.
2. Just a glitch.

I'm sure PG will fix it at some point. If its anything like the AMG-One, it'll only take, oh I dunno... 15 months?

I think it's a glitch bud, but I wanted to try and see if I could get it to clear. Once I photograph the Mission R later today I'll have all the photos up to date.

Hopefully they'll clear it inside 15 months 😂😂😂

Regarding Forza Editions, I think they are quite uninspiring and I feel very little need to use them ever (Other than the Sesto sometimes) I think a good Idea would be to keep FEs from older games and carry them over. The selection in FH5 seems quite limited and small.

Or maybe every month or so have a Community vote for a new Forza Edition car.

The Mission R is really, really loud. Almost as loud as standing next to a Concorde's jet engine.

*Yes, I know the airliner is retired, and fun little fact it's the 20th anniversary of the supersonic airliner's retirement from service.

Last edited:
The Mission R is really, really loud. Almost as loud as standing next to a Concorde's jet engine.

*Yes, I know the airliner is retired, and fun little fact it's the 20th anniversary of the supersonic airliner's retirement from service.
I think it's as loud as the Lightning.

As for AI, I suppose it is a bit of an unfair criticism as that can be pointed at basically every game out there. The only racing game I can think of with fun AI is Wreckfest, and I guess ACC isn't too bad, but I haven't revisited it since I first picked up my wheel so now that I kinda know what I'm doing maybe they wouldn't be very good either. FH5 indeed has terrible AI.
I really like how NFS Unbound Ai perform.
I feel TC2 actually has the more realistic physics, with the cars much more connected to the road, more responsive, and a much more aggressive re-gaining of grip after sliding, which is more like how I find real cars (and it's closer to a game like ACC, for example).
TC2 handling is closer to GT, then FM. Grippy, which makes sense for modern track/road cars. At the same time its physics is simple in comparison with GT/Forza. I think general audience will be happier with Motorfest new driftier approach.

Back