Forza Horizon 5: General Discussion

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 18,957 comments
  • AI cars are back for Event Lab races in the playlist

Since I regularly play with teammates every week, I can say that AI has been present on EventLabs if you played with friends... but not consistently and not on all events. On some others, it seemed like co-op/PVP was totally disabled, forcing us to move on to the next part of the playlist and come back to play it on our own later.

On that note, the oval tube EventLab this week?
The good news: AI has no idea how to drive that.
The bad news: Neither do players. I can't count the number of stupid crashes and incidents where we got stuck.

Last edited:
Do what I do for the Eliminator bud. I always camp out in the woods at the disused airport on the south of the map. Very rarely if at all do I get bothered there as the rest of the players eliminate each other. I just move inland slowly with each stage.
The elimination part of the Eliminator part is not the problem, the game mode in itself just sucks.

I've had basically the exact same experiences with the Eliminator that I've had with all of those... battle royale? Whatever they are called things like PUBG and stuff. Probably 70% of the times I play it's boring or annoying (or boring and then annoying), 20% of the time it's kinda okay but nothing special or exciting really, and the other 10% of the time something funny happens or I get good luck with things or am matched with similar skill/experience/knowledge players and actually enjoy myself.

One thing I definitely don't like about the Eliminator is the cross-country style of it though. Especially when you get to faster cars, it often feels like it's just two people driving at a bunch of trees and bushes flat out and the winner is whoever gets lucky with no unbreakable trees being in their path. Kinda the same with some of the mountain jumps, whoever jumps over the blind crest at 160mph and doesn't land in a barn is the winner.

Last edited:
@UKMikey and @Populuxe got the exact same time on the Rivian monthly at Baja California...! Just gonna immortalize that before either of you improve your times :D

View attachment 1287629
@Populuxe's name came up as the next rival but I hadn't noticed that our times were the same until this post. I'm glad I didn't automatically hit the Bring It On button before someone took a screenshot.

Last edited:
10 days since Starfield and nothing has changed...
Since the only way i can play the game is:
a) wait 40 minutes for Cloud queue; or
b) delete half of my installed games and wait 2.5 hours for the game to install.
I shall no longer be playing FH5.
Nor shall I be buying any further DLC.
Which is a shame as up to now I'd enjoyed the game and bought all the DLC. (Well apart from the Oreo car which I got randomly gifted).

They have 18 days until FM23 early release. At this rate, they're going to screw up their own game release because no one will be able to launch it in Cloud.

I'll have enough space for FM23 to install when FM7 is deleted.

I am NOT ******** on every other developer just to play FH5.

If MS can't deliver, only MS will suffer by my hands as a result.

The elimination part of the Eliminator part is not the problem, the game mode in itself just sucks.
Terrible concept from the get-go, given that they wanted it to be the racing genre's answer to Fortnite. It also sounds rather bizarre that to kill your opponents, you need to outrun them in a short point-to-point race.

I find most battle royale games to be purely luck-based, as regardless of your skill, it's completely unpredictable with how you'll survive.

And plus, the hype with the battle royale genre has mostly died down due to Fortnite being a cesspool of unnecessary product placement which is catered to excessive overspending on cosmetic items, constant confusion with how the game's mechanics are being "tweaked" here and there, as well as toxicity from its community, and the same could also be said for COD Warzone, which is why I stopped playing games relating to this type of genre.

b) delete half of my installed games and wait 2.5 hours for the game to install.
Which is a shame as up to now I'd enjoyed the game and bought all the DLC. (Well apart from the Oreo car which I got randomly gifted).

They have 18 days until FM23 early release. At this rate, they're going to screw up their own game release because no one will be able to launch it in Cloud.

I think you should get some heavy troubleshooting done, that doesn't sound healthy at all.
I have FH3, FH4, FH5, FM7 installed via Xbox App on the PC and on my Series X. I have Starfield installed on the PC via Xbox App. Nothing like this has ever happened to me....

Something is definitely up with FH5 since this series update. The game is so slow booting up, loading menus, fast travelling etc; and I'm playing the game with it installed on my Series X internal memory.

Whether it's Starfield related or not I can't say but the FH5 devs need to take an urgent look at the game very soon to try and get it back to where it was.

Since I regularly play with teammates every week, I can say that AI has been present on EventLabs if you played with friends... but not consistently and not on all events. On some others, it seemed like co-op/PVP was totally disabled, forcing us to move on to the next part of the playlist and come back to play it on our own later.
Oh cool, I didn't realize there was AI if you play with friends. I've been playing solo the whole time so the EventLab events have been even more lonely alone lol
On that note, the oval tube EventLab this week?
The good news: AI has no idea how to drive that.
The bad news: Neither do players. I can't count the number of stupid crashes and incidents where we got stuck.
The oval tube map makes no sense to me.

After the first turn, the flat section is blocked, meaning you should drive on the banking, but then after the second turn, the banking is then blocked. It's such a strangely designed track.

I think either you should be guided around the banking around the entire track or don't block the flat section if you don't want to the player to stay on the banking for the whole lap.

One thing I definitely don't like about the Eliminator is the cross-country style of it though. Especially when you get to faster cars, it often feels like it's just two people driving at a bunch of trees and bushes flat out and the winner is whoever gets lucky with no unbreakable trees being in their path. Kinda the same with some of the mountain jumps, whoever jumps over the blind crest at 160mph and doesn't land in a barn is the winner.
i think it actually takes a lot of skill to be successful at the Eliminator. You really shouldn't be going flat-out through the trees of over blind crests. You need to know when to back off on the throttle so you have enough control to dodge the unbreakable trees or land safely after a jump. It also takes a lot of practice, map knowledge, and game sense to know where those trees are and which jumps are safe to go flat-out over. It's just like any other battle royale type game.

it's fair if people don't enjoy the battle royale game mode, but if you do, I think the Eliminator actually does a pretty good job replicating that experience in a racing game

My main gripe with the Eliminator is the minimap. When you're not in a race, you see too little of the world so it's impossible to find opponents. The arrows pointing at other players also seem to appear and disappear almost at random sometimes. I'll be driving toward those arrows only for them to disappear.

I think you should get some heavy troubleshooting done, that doesn't sound healthy at all.
I have FH3, FH4, FH5, FM7 installed via Xbox App on the PC and on my Series X. I have Starfield installed on the PC via Xbox App. Nothing like this has ever happened to me....
Sorry, i should have explained myself better.
I have a Series S not an X. FH5 is 130GB which is nearly half the entire hard drive available to me. The game might work fine, but I'm not willing to sacrifice half of my other games to play it. So I've been using Cloud which has worked ok until...
Since Starfield released Game Pass Cloud is overloaded with players so you have long queues to play FH5. 40 minutes long!

The Series S was literally sold as an entrance to Game Pass Cloud by Microsoft... that's how they explained away the tiny hard drive in practice.

Anyway rant over.....

I'm running races on FM7 instead trying to pick up the 100 cars I don't yet have 👍

Last edited:
Ah right... I guess the only option you have is buying really expensive external storage for the Series S.
FM2023 is going to be 130GB too, probably.

I managed to reach 810/832 unique cars in FM7, having fully completed the entire career mode. But that's probably as far as I'll get before FM2023 arrives.

I have a Series S not an X. FH5 is 130GB which is nearly half the entire hard drive available to me. The game might work fine, but I'm not willing to sacrifice half of my other games to play it. So I've been using Cloud which has worked ok until...
Since Starfield released Game Pass Cloud is overloaded with players so you have long queues to play FH5. 40 minutes long!

The Series S was literally sold as an entrance to Game Pass Cloud by Microsoft... that's how they explained away the tiny hard drive in practice.

Anyway rant over.....

I'm running races on FM7 instead trying to pick up the 100 cars I don't yet have 👍
Ah got ya. Yeah you don't have much space to play with do you. Living in Reading I imagine you have pretty good interweb speeds too. I hope things improve soon for you bud. Be a pity not having a neighbour around on here.

Anyway rant over.....

I have a Series S, too. I bought a WD Black C50 1TB expansion card. It was $150 but it was what I needed and I could afford it. I can’t speak for you or your situation. I can only say this has worked out very well for me.

I have a Series S, too. I bought a WD Black C50 1TB expansion card. It was $150 but it was what I needed and I could afford it. I can’t speak for you or your situation. I can only say this has worked out very well for me.
Fair point 👍

Hopefully the Cloud queue will die back down a bit after a while. It was ok up to Starfield... I'm guessing they switched over servers from FH5 to Starfield to cope with demand. The issue is FM23 is in 3 weeks. So even if Starfield demand reduces, it will be replaced by FM23.

Ultimately, the Cloud capacity is going to have to increase.

If the queue doesn't die down, I might look for a deal on an X and trade in the S.

I've had good service from the S though, and it's a great piece of kit. But it's reliant on the Cloud working to some extent.

It's just frustrating at the moment. But it's only a game in the end. I'll keep trying to get on the game every so often. A short break should make FH5 fresher when I come back anyway 👍

Fair point 👍

Hopefully the Cloud queue will die back down a bit after a while. It was ok up to Starfield... I'm guessing they switched over servers from FH5 to Starfield to cope with demand. The issue is FM23 is in 3 weeks. So even if Starfield demand reduces, it will be replaced by FM23.

If the queue doesn't die down, I might look for a deal on an X and trade in the S.

I've had good service from the S though, and it's a great piece of kit. But it's reliant on the Cloud working to some extent.

It's just frustrating at the moment. But it's only a game in the end. I'll keep trying to get on the game every so often. A short break should make FH5 fresher when I come back anyway 👍
How about the new S, the black one with a 1TB hard drive. Could be an option if the X proves too pricey.

Fair point 👍

I only use the cloud for the weekly quests or to try out GP games and when Starfield launched it did mean waiting times were far too long but for the past few days it's not been an issue for me up north where it's grim. You could by a cheap HDD to store the games on and transfer them to the internal when you want to play them but that's not ideal. I sympathise with anyone relying on cloud for their gaming.

While Seagate’s official Expansion Storage Cards are ungodly expensive brand new, you can get them second hand on eBay pretty cheap a lot of the time. I managed to get the 1TB card for about £85 posted (no packaging and was missing the little plastic protector, but was otherwise perfect condition), which I thought was more than fair for what you get and works flawlessly. It’s something you just set and forget so they’ll never really have a problem once you have it plugged in, even if you get one used.

I’ve just checked some sold listings and they seem to hover around the £80 - £100 mark for the 1TB cards depending on how the bidding goes in some cases. It’s not an ideal situation but it’s a lot more appealing and convenient than exchanging consoles or even the cheaper method of portable HDDs and transferring stuff when necessary. Obviously just double check you’re buying from a reputable seller, but generally I think you should be fine.

Last edited:
Without saying too much in case people haven't done it yet, I absolutely loved this week's Treasure Hunt challenge.
Yup, this was great. Thanks for not spoling (although I think they showed it in the ¡Let's Go!). It definitely made a nice change from the "usual fast travel to place then smash chest" routine.

i think it actually takes a lot of skill to be successful at the Eliminator. You really shouldn't be going flat-out through the trees of over blind crests. You need to know when to back off on the throttle so you have enough control to dodge the unbreakable trees or land safely after a jump. It also takes a lot of practice, map knowledge, and game sense to know where those trees are and which jumps are safe to go flat-out over. It's just like any other battle royale type game.
It definitely takes skill and I generally agree with what you are saying and typically enjoy open events like that. The risk vs reward of that stuff is something I've always liked in driving/racing, hell I even play FH5 completely without the driving line, but my experiences in the Eliminator haven't really lined up.

It's probably just remembering the negative, but I feel like more often than not, later races where we have faster cars have been pretty neck and neck down to that last bank of trees or big jump like a quarter mile from the finish, and both of us know that if we lift we are boned because we won't have enough time to catch back up, so we both have to send it and see who gets lucky. Doesn't mean there wasn't skill up to that point or after that point, but the deciding often feels like something kind of flukey like a lucky bounce or glancing blow or something, whether in my favor or not.

Of course the very unrealistic extra fast cars later in the Eliminator runs kinda exaggerate that issue. I'd probably have more fun with the Eliminator if the cars were way slower and damage was turned on. Making off road vehicles slow, but they can take a more direct route and risks have big consequences, and making road vehicles that are slightly faster but totally suck off road, so you have a balance between staying on the road for a less direct route and taking calculated cuts off road sounds more fun to me than its current form.

I feel like I'd absolutely love the Eliminator if it were in a game like SnowRunner though.

Last edited:
The Eliminator is one of those things that couldn't have existed at any other time but late into FH4 and early into FH5. Now, it just feels very dated. For all of FH5's strengths and problems, making a car battle royale game mode with some truly obnoxious accolades attached to it was probably the worst thing about it, and that's saying something considering that, on the whole, Eliminator is not unfun or totally devoid of redeeming factors. It's just feeling like very much a product of its time, and it doesn't help I find battle royales frustrating in general.

At the same time, whenever they plan to work on FH6, if they ever do, I hope this mode never comes back.

Last edited:
It's interesting; I don't totally disagree with the discussions around Eliminator being dropped for FH6 and the mode being abandoned more or less - but we know from datamines that at the very least PG were toying with the idea of a big Eliminator update.

Only time will tell - but maybe PG have scrapped Eliminator update plans for FH5 in favor of other ideas?

Knowing my luck the next Series update will be Eliminator themed... :lol:

I think something akin to the Grand Race in Motorfest or Broughy1322's random all races on FiveM GTA servers would be a better option to invest in than Eliminator - but that's just my 2 cents.

Imagine this with Horizon's car list? Would be insane.

Last edited:
I don't find myself liking the randomness of eliminator race finish line locations, it seems like every time I initiate a race it gives my opponent the upper hand by spawning the finish location in the direction they're already speeding to. Perhaps I just haven't played enough of the mode to "get it" but it just seems really random to me, so aside from some early game rounds I haven't touched the mode in forever.

i think it actually takes a lot of skill to be successful at the Eliminator
There was a guy who had a phenomenal Eliminator win rate in FH4, his name was dareo charmer or something similar to that. I did enough Eliminators to get whatever rewards the game offered, and the one Eliminator that I did that he was in, he won. He was mentioned on the monthly live streams as he was just so much better at it than anyone else. I think he had an incredibly detailed memory for the map and knew the exact best route to get from any place to any other place, including every last rock, tree etc.

There was a guy who had a phenomenal Eliminator win rate in FH4, his name was dareo charmer or something similar to that. I did enough Eliminators to get whatever rewards the game offered, and the one Eliminator that I did that he was in, he won. He was mentioned on the monthly live streams as he was just so much better at it than anyone else. I think he had an incredibly detailed memory for the map and knew the exact best route to get from any place to any other place, including every last rock, tree etc.
He had an entire thread on the official forums for it. I will still around the forums around then, lol.

I seem to have missed the info on it so a silly question, how do you unlock the 2 Rivian's?
They're prizes in weeks 2 and 4 EventLab playlist events, if I'm not wrong (and I'm sure someone will tell me if I am).

Speaking of EventLab this week's events were a bit like Goldilocks and the Three Bears' porridge tasting scene for me. The Baja rally wasn't just the most fun I've had racing at Baja, it's the only fun I've had racing at that location.

While the Guanajuato rally was also well designed except for the trackside detail which kept trying to kill me like it was an Argentinian mountain stage, the remaining concrete tubey event was, well... the thing I liked about it the most was that it was very short.

Still, it's great being able to race against AI on user created tracks although I wish we could whack the difficulty up like in FH4. I just played a Japanese city track some dude made which was a lot of fun. Skyscrapers and stuff.

Last edited:
Back