Forza Motorsport 7: General Pre-Release Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 1,837 comments
Bit of a shame we didn't get any more news. FM7 has kinda snuck up on me. I've been concentrating on GTS and PC2 for the past six months. If I'm honest FM6 didn't really grip me as other Forza titles have, I'm hoping FM7 will pull me fully back into the fray.

How else would you pronounce 4C?

"Quattroccì"? :grumpy:

-

Very informative conference, I finally got the answer to a question that was keeping me awake at night: yes, if I still had a Guitar Hero guitar, I could use it to play Forza on the PC! :lol:
Hopefully they'll have a conference behind closed doors that will give us more actual useful info. Although I'd be fine with waiting until September 29, I guess?

New promotional images:

from forza central
Forza7_Gamescom_PressKit_PorscheInTheLead_4K.jpg

Forza7_Gamescom_PressKit_MountainPass_4K.jpg

Forza7_Gamescom_PressKit_ReadyToRace_4K.jpg

Forza7_Gamescom_PressKit_Challenger_Headlights_4K.jpg

And if I plan on Ultra but on 1080p and not 4K?
Then I'd imagine the specs required to be closer to those for 1080p than 4K, but sometimes you do get an ultra setting that just hammers the computer. you might need a 1060 or equivalent GPU over the 1050 though. The 1050 isn't that powerful.

GTA V has an option, I forget what it's called, but it raises my CPU temperature more than 15 degrees when selected and I don't even notice what it does. Needless to say it stays off. But short of a poorly optimised option, or one that might be of no use with a 1080p resolution, I can't see it being much higher that those specs mentioned.

I noticed that they say there is "dynamic skies" in the promo information, but there isn't any mention of time of day.

My guess is that there's no time of day.

Is anyone buying/upgrading to the Xbox One X to play this in 4k in November? I was just wondering how many are doing this, or are you all going down the High end PC route (Win10)?

My thoughts at the moment are that I will be sticking with the PS4 Pro for my 4k fix (PCars2/GTS) but I will be keeping an eye on this game in 4k. Those pictures look very detailed, although they still have that 'Forza' lighting look to them, it does look impressive. 👍

I noticed that they say there is "dynamic skies" in the promo information, but there isn't any mention of time of day.

My guess is that there's no time of day.

Yeah my thinking too. I'm not overly surprised. The omission of dynamic stuff has always been because of hitting 60fps from what they have said in the past. My guess is they have found a way to do weather but have to sacrifice ToD to keep the 6fps. A shame but hopefully plenty of tracks have different time options to keep it feeling fresh.

Maybe even a GTResque solution to endurance racing, anyone else remember how that game would split an endurance race into 4 parts? You'd be racing and then get a loading screen as it loaded the next "time". Start in day then went to sunset, night, sunrise back to day. Clever solution.

On the whole is it true dynamic TOD or not thing.. here's how I think it'll be implemented

Of course every track has a daytime option on FM. Now, I think incorporated in the daytime time setting on every track are the dynamic skies from FH3.
This is where they get the "everytime you go to the track it's a different experience" line from. It was pointed out to me that apparently the e3 footage (AR12's Q&A) you can see that the dubai & mugello environments are lit differently each time they return to the track, which are the skies doing there work. I don't think it will be fully dynamic however (otherwise they would have said so), and I believe there'll be different TODs to choose from in freeplay, like Overcast, Morning, Afternoon.

Night and Dynamic weather from the sounds of it will only be on certain tracks. Of course, with COTA confirmed a night track and Maple/Suzuka confirmed dynamic weather tracks, this count will be up from FM6, how much so, we don't know as of yet. I reckon the weather will be configurable in free-play (meaning you'll be able to tinker with how strong the rain is, when it comes in etc) and night will just be a setting but will still benefit from dynamic skies.

Hopefully we find out how it all works shortly.

Is anyone buying/upgrading to the Xbox One X to play this in 4k in November? I was just wondering how many are doing this, or are you all going down the High end PC route (Win10)?

My thoughts at the moment are that I will be sticking with the PS4 Pro for my 4k fix (PCars2/GTS) but I will be keeping an eye on this game in 4k. Those pictures look very detailed, although they still have that 'Forza' lighting look to them, it does look impressive. 👍
If every single game released on Xbone was guaranteed to be play anywhere I'd probably just stick with PC but they are not so I've pre-ordered the X. Will sell my S and a bunch of games to hopefully cover the majority of the cost.

As for the look of FM7 in 4K. I d'loaded the direct capture footage that DF have on their website and on my 4K OLED with HDR enabled the game looks staggering and you really don't need to worry about the lighting. The footage with changing light and weather around the Nurburgring is something else.

DF had something to say about the dynamic time of day. They seem to think that T10 have achieved it by transitioning between different baked lighting conditions. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-forza-motorsport-7-xbox-one-x-true-4k-showcase

4K OLED with HDR
:drool:

I've got Samsung KS8000 (4K, HDR), no OLED but I'm sure the game will look great on that too :)

DF had something to say about the dynamic time of day. They seem to think that T10 have achieved it by transitioning between different baked lighting conditions.
Horizon: Zero Dawn does the same thing (as mentioned in the article).

While playing I actually thought it was dynamic initially but eventually caught on as the transitions were pretty quick.

If every single game released on Xbone was guaranteed to be play anywhere I'd probably just stick with PC but they are not so I've pre-ordered the X. Will sell my S and a bunch of games to hopefully cover the majority of the cost.

As for the look of FM7 in 4K. I d'loaded the direct capture footage that DF have on their website and on my 4K OLED with HDR enabled the game looks staggering and you really don't need to worry about the lighting. The footage with changing light and weather around the Nurburgring is something else.

DF had something to say about the dynamic time of day. They seem to think that T10 have achieved it by transitioning between different baked lighting conditions. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-forza-motorsport-7-xbox-one-x-true-4k-showcase

I will more than likely end up with an Xbox One X and Forza7 knowing me! :sly:

But I put on another thread that my Xbox One is purely for the Forza Franchise only, and I don't really want to go down the PC route for my set up at home just yet. I do enjoy the Forza games when I log in but I am not playing them now as much as I had hoped 8-9 months on, and find myself on the PS4 Pro much more.

I have 4 digital Forzas now on Xbox One but I believe like the PS4 Pro, you can move/transfer them over or re download them again to the One X no problem.

Re: The lighting- It does look amazing and similar to FH3, but It still has that 'Forza' game engine look I can not describe. Maybe I need to get back in to them again, as I have had a little break from them all. I will keep a close eye on these Forza7 threads and Videos for updates and make my decision nearer to November I think. But the number of New Cars and Tracks all in 4k is very tempting I must say :cheers:

👍

Definetely PC route, for Forza 7 and future Forza's. I don't need 2 consoles at home, but I need a laptop for the time I'm abroad- so I ordered an Alienware with gtx 1060 and i5 7300hq. :cheers:

https://news.xbox.com/2017/08/20/gamescom-2017-forza-motorsport-7-pc-racing-experience/
https://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/fm7_gamescom

HqkNGf6.png

• List of officially-supported peripherals.
  • PC version will have Benchmarking, 21:9 display mode, extra graphics options.
  • Confirmation of a Forza Motorsport 7 Demo, both on Xbox and Windows 10 PC.

This was gonna be the game that made me get a One X, but looking at this I'm only a GTX1080 away from running it in 4K. I should have no problem running at 1080p on my GTX970 for now, so I'll probably hold off on upgrading until I can grab a 4K monitor and a GTX1080 in one move.

Since the car collecting system will be one of Forza's highlighted topics at Gamescom, I'm beginning to wonder what they have to say about it. I always liked the straightforward nature of buying a car with earned credits. However, the mention of a "system" makes me think of limitations rather than opportunities. For example, it wasn't cool how GT5 tied obtainable cars to the player's XP level. Fingers crossed Turn 10 has come up with something fun and not something linear taking away the freedom to collect cars how we want.

Since the car collecting system will be one of Forza's highlighted topics at Gamescom, I'm beginning to wonder what they have to say about it. I always liked the straightforward nature of buying a car with earned credits. However, the mention of a "system" makes me think of limitations rather than opportunities. For example, it wasn't cool how GT5 tied obtainable cars to the player's XP level. Fingers crossed Turn 10 has come up with something fun and not something linear taking away the freedom to collect cars how we want.
I don't really mind it. The way they did it in Horizon with the street racing events was fine, in my opinion.

I don't really mind it. The way they did it in Horizon with the street racing events was fine, in my opinion.

Wasn't that just four cars tied to midnight battles? Then there were the barn finds too, but I get the impression that they are almost going to reinvent car collecting with FM7. Why else would they keep emphasizing it?

Wasn't that just four cars tied to midnight battles? Then there were the barn finds too, but I get the impression that they are almost going to reinvent car collecting with FM7. Why else would they keep emphasizing it?
Whatever they introduce, my comment was more towards cars being locked behind specific events/achievements/Level(not to be confused with what GT did with level locking, but acquiring a car when you reach a certain level.)

Latest Posts

Back